Start by marking “A Nantucket Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Nantucket Christmas

A Nantucket Christmas

Known for her heartwarming observations of family life, New York Times bestselling author Nancy Thayer showcases her beloved Nantucket’s snowy off-season in this emotionally gratifying and utterly entertaining story.

Holidays on this Massachusetts island are nothing short of magical, from the jolly decorations on the Brant Point lighthouse to the much anticipated Christm
Published October 29th 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Nantucket Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nantucket Christmas

Angela Holland
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that it is hard to put it into words. It is a heartwarming story that pulls you in from page one and does not let you go even after you are done. This is the fist Christmas book I have read this year and the first by Nancy and I have to say it puts you in a good mood and makes me want to find more books by her. The only part of the book that I did not like was the story line with Snix/Pooh, but I totally understand why it had to be told in the way it was, it just really ...more
Stephanie
I think I could have written a better novel in the couple hours it took me to listen to this. Just awful. The story was just annoying, everyone talked like children, 30+ year old woman calling her parents mommy and daddy and trying to get her divorced parents back together, who were happily remarried! It was so unrealistic and awful. I bumped it up one star because I love Nantucket and Nicole wasn’t too bad a character but I just don’t think you should bother with this one and perhaps Nancy Thay ...more
Angela
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

A Nantucket Christmas is the story of a boy, Maddox, meeting a dog. But before he does, Thayer tells us the individual stories of the boy and his family, and of the dog and his plight.

This book meandered and wandered, describing Nantucket in its Christmas glory, and describing the personalities and quirks of Maddox's family members. Unfortunately, the direction of the plot (boy meeting dog) wasn't clear midway through. I was left wondering, What ABOUT this boy and his family? What is t
Maureen Timerman
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I enjoyed this quick evening read. I read a lot and was able to figure out how the story might end, but there were definitely some surprises.
Unfortunately, there is a side story to this, and it begins with the prologue. The taking of a cute puppy, loving, feeding, cuddling it. Then when it is a few months old, and a gangly teenager, abandon it. So begins this story, a poor soul who waits on the side of the road for his family to return to him. Breaks my heart at the cruelty.
Nicole has married a
Julie Barrett
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer
The island is decked out with Christmas attire and the day of the Stroll has begun. Santa and Mrs. Claus have arrived on the island via the Coast Guard and
the kids will climb onto Santa's lap and tell them of their wishes.
Nicole has married Sebastian and his married daughter Kennedy and her husband, James and child Maddox will spend the Christmas holiday on the island with them.
Nicole has helped the Stroll by baking cookies and her best friend Jilly has hot
J
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, heartwarming, and cheesy in all the right ways. Just the way a Christmas book should be.
Linda Klager
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good read. There was romance, love, hate, forgiveness and redemption included in this book. I really enjoy Christmas stories.
Sojourner
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
On Nantucket, the Christmas season is different. And A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer is a different and charming Christmas story which is down to earth, and so thoroughly enjoyable. It is the story of building relationship, the delicate intricacies and dynamics of a broken family. It is also the story of an abandoned dog and a boy, and how they bring about a change in the family. It is moving story about love and loss and the Christmas miracle.

The story opens with Sebastian and Nicole, bot
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lite
I guess the thing to do around Christmastime is to write a book that you can hype for the Christmas season.

This is a long winded bore. And a little bit weird.

Kennedy and James have a three year old son going on thirty who thinks things like, "This was awesome, too. Maddox rarely got alone time with his daddy, who was always working." What three year old thinks about things like "alone time?" What three year old says things like, "No, thank you. I want to make a fort out of the picnic table and b
Audra Hornbeck
Sep 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

While reading the summary of the book, I mistakenly assumed Nicole's step-daughter, Kennedy, was a spoiled child or teenager. But, no, she turned out to be a grown woman who was married, had a young child and another on the way. I have very little patience for children like that and absolutely none for adults like that. Even in fiction. Kennedy annoyed me the entire book.

The book was plagued with stilted, awkward writing. I no longer have the book bec
Melina
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this book. It is a fast heartwarming story. It is a story about a family, that is sadly like so many families today. The story starts out from the perspective of a dog, Snix, that has been abandoned on Nantucket by his owner. It progresses through the different perspectives of Sebastian, Nicole, Kennedy, and Kennedy's son Maddox. The family is spending the week leading up to Christmas at Sebastian and Nicole's Nantucket home, and there is lots of tension as Kennedy wants her mom
Anna
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review featured on www.books-n-kisses.com

Honestly this story is just sad. Yes it has a happy ending but most of it is just down right depressing. First it starts with Nicole and Sebastian who are an older couple finding second love and then Kennedy (Sebastian’s grown daughter) makes for trouble on the first Christmas for the older couple.

Kennedy is a spoiled brat. She acts like a child wanting her divorced parents to get back together and doing everything to drive away the new wife. For a grown
Susanchitter
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a short quick read that read like a Hallmark movie. It did make you want to experience the town's Stroll at Christmas time. Nicole and Sebastian were very happy in there late second marriage. Living on the island his very pregnant (spoiled) daughter, husband and three year old son (who spoke nothing like a three year I know) came for Christmas. She was determined to get her mother and father back together. Interwoven was a story of an abandoned dog. Of course it ended happily.
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This was a great Christmas story about finding love - both human and dog. The characters were well developed and I felt for each of their Christmas problems. I loved Maddox, the little boy and Snix/Pooh. I'm a sucker for dogs. All in all a great Christmas read.
Antoinette
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
A nice little Christmas read! A book that helps put you into a Christmas mode.
Margie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful Christmas story. Nicole is newly married. Her husband was married once before and there is a daughter who is married and expecting her second child. Of course, she doesn't like Nicole and wants her parents back together; even though the first wife left the family for another man. Add an abandoned puppy and a young child to the mix and you have a good read.
Lisa
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a light, enjoyable read for the Christmas season. As a stepmom, I appreciated the realistic and sympathetic portrayal of Nicole and the issues she faced around the holidays. However, the other characters were a bit too “stock”: the bratty, selfish stepdaughter, the ice queen ex-wife, and the well-meaning but hapless husband. I would have liked to see more nuanced characters and a bit less predictable plot, but it was a sweet way to pass the time all the same.
Amy Mallison-austin
This is a very sweet, sappy book. I loved that it is told from various points of view, especially the dog's and the little boy's. It's a lovely quick read for the holiday season (even if I was a wee bit late).
Leah
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a sweet Christmas story. The puppy was the highlight of this story. He was cute, and I felt bad about what had happened to him. I was happy for the ending that he received. All of the characters got a happy ending, which made me happy. I liked most of the characters in this story, and by the end I liked all of them. It was a bit ridiculous how quickly things changed, but I still liked it. Also, the setting and cover are lovely.
Loraine
This was a lovely Christmas read. Featuring a newly married older couple, Nicole and Sebastian, both now retired. Sebastian has a grown daughter, Kennedy, from his previous marriage. Sebastian's ex-wife, Katya, according to her daughter was everything perfect. Now very pregnant Kennedy, her husband, and young son, Maddox, are all expected to spend Christmas week with her father and his new wife who Kennedy wants to replace with her mother even though her mother left her dad for a younger man.

Thi
Marlathemom
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good things come to those who wait; this is my first Nancy Thayer book, but to be truthful, it may be my last. I was so super eager to read Elin Hilderbrand's newest summer release, but this little novel was available instead, so I took it to quench my need for a fun/summer/island read. It was like a glass of lukewarm lemonade when it's hot outside; sure, it quenches your thirst, but doesn't totally satisfy. The main character, Nicole, is far too kind to her crazy immature stepdaughter, whose fa ...more
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans, especially those that like the ones set during the Christmas season.
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Melissa
A Nantucket Christmas takes place, as you can guess, on Nantucket Island. Retired nurse Nicole and her new husband, Sebastian are two people who met later in life and fell in love. Their Christmas plans include a visit from Sebastian's adult daughter, Kennedy, her husband, and their three-year old son Maddox. To call Kennedy and adult, though, is using the term loosely. Kennedy is spoiled, rich, self-centered, and, to top it all off, 8 months pregnant. You can probably guess that combination is ...more
Margaret Madden
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The winter season on Nantucket is very different to the busy summer time. The summer crowds have returned to the mainland, the sun has tucked itself away and the storms are brewing. The rental houses empty out and the year-round residents get ready for their Christmas visit from Santa and MrsClaus, who each year, arrive by ferry with great excitement from the islanders.
This year is going to be different for Nicole. Recently married to Sebastian, she is about to host her first Christma
Beth
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own, christmas
This is a sweet story of a nontraditional family dynamic working out their issues and celebrating a Nantucket Christmas. With multiple point of views, including an abandon puppy and a young child, you get many perspectives on this holiday storyline. Thayer's attention to the holiday details makes you taste the chocolate chip cookies and feel the warmth of holding the mug of the homemade hot chocolate. Nantucket Christmas is a touching read to sit by the crackling fire and enjoy.

I received this A
Ruth
Apr 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am a long time Nancy Thayer fan and have read just about everything that she has written. My favorite was Stepping. I looked forward to getting this book and don't mind reading a Christmas tale in April. I was very disappointed, however.

Nicole and Sebastian are newly married and this is a second marriage for Sebastian, who has a grown daughter and grandson. Nicole eagerly looks forward to having James. pregnant Kennedy, and 3 year old Maddox join them for a special Nantucket Christmas. What we
Janice
Nov 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Seems the author couldn't decide whether to write a children's book about a little boy and his dog, or a short little family Christmas novella set in Nantucket. Unfortunately, she combined the two and ended up with clunky writing, unbelievable female characters and a sappy story line. Another Christmas fairytale. The book jacket design is very inviting though.
Nicole R
The reading slump is deep and dark. Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. Queue up the cheesy Christmas reads. Yes, I know it is March. But I need a Christmas reading miracle.

This book was just, eh. Sebastian and Nicole have gotten married later in life. Sebastian moved from a controlling, perfect wife and a demanding, high-profile job to a warm, loving, and a bit chintzy Nicole. He couldn't be happier. Nicole is looking forward to having Sebastian's pregnant daughter Kennedy, h
Sue
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, rcftci
Story 4.25, Narration 4.25

This is a story of family, love and how dysfunctional a Christmas can be with a blended family. 8 month pregnant woman wants her parents to reconcile and is irrational in her need to make it happen, she's very unsympathetic as a character. But a woman would cut her a little slack if they've ever gone through a pregnancy. This is not a state that brings out the best in a woman emotionally, at least that was my experience.

Anyway, both her parents are in committed relatio
Linda
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best ways of grabbing someone's interest is to start a book in a different way. That's what Nancy did with this one. As I started to read, it was about a family with a dog and I wondered if I had the wrong book. I could have strangled the girl for leaving the dog to fend for itself. Then, it got into the main story and I loved every page of it. I could feel the emotions of each character and instantly loved a few and disliked a few.
I truly enjoyed reading about Nantucket, a place I wi
Madison Mega-Mara...: #137 - A Nantucket Christmas 1 1 Sep 02, 2014 05:43AM

• The Memory Tree
  • A Simple Christmas Wish
  • A Christmas Home (A Dog Named Christmas #2)
  • The Christmas Visitor: An Amish Romance
  • Christmas Roses
  • Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • Glass House 51
  • Christmas at the Beach (Ten Beach Road #2.5)
  • An Amish Gift
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #6)
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Candlelight Christmas (Lakeshore Chronicles, #10)
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
“happiness is the best medicine.” 1 likes