Start by marking “Snowflakes Fall” as Want to Read:
Snowflakes Fall

Snowflakes Fall

In Snowflakes Fall, Newbery Medalist Patricia MacLachlan and award-winning artist Steven Kellogg portray life’s natural cycle: its beauty, its joy, and its sorrow. Together, the words and pictures offer the promise of renewal that can be found in our lives—snowflakes fall, and return again as raindrops so that flowers can grow.

MacLachlan and Kellogg, who are longtime frie
Published October 29th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Snowflakes Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflakes Fall

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg SloanDoll Bones by Holly BlackNavigating Early by Clare VanderpoolEscape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris GrabensteinFlora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
Newbery 2014
119 books — 492 voters
Journey by Aaron BeckerThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltThe Dark by Lemony SnicketFlora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  Brown
2014 Mock Caldecott
80 books — 237 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Snowflakes Fall
Carol
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"A Snowflake.
A Child.
No two the same--
all beautiful.

A circular sticker with the above quote graces the cover of Snowflakes Fall. The sticker placed by Random House also notes that a donation has been made to The Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

If these two sentiments alone are not enough to encourage you to buy this book for a baby or little friend, just open it and let the pages take you on a journey. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful and the writing simple yet meaningful.

In the
Aleisa
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautiful collaboration between MacLachlan and Kellogg written to honor the children of Sandy Hook Elementary. I had wondered how this would work in a picture book for young children but, fully trusting this author and illustrator, I pre-ordered it for the school. I just received it today and, wow. It's pretty much just a story about snowflakes and children and how they all are different. Until page 11 or so when the happy peaceful story is broken by this, "Wailing winds may blow/ ...more
Ann
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2017, all-ages
Sweet and simple.

Add in the backstory regarding Sandy Hook, and it's so much more.

Joan
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the flowers are gone, snowflakes fall. No two of them are the same and they are all beautiful. They are animal tracks, boot prints, sled paths, snowmen, forts, and fields of snow angels. And when the sun melts the snowflakes, water flows where the snowflakes once had been. And the flowers grow again, reminding the children of the snowflakes.

And we remember the children -- each beautiful. Each unique.

Written as a tribute to the lives lost at Sandy Hook, this gentle tale of loss and of memor
Josiah
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book...oh this book...What can I say that would ever be worthy of it? The first time I read it, tears were streaming down my face before I reached the end of the first line. Every time I open it up and read it again, the same thing happens. Patricia MacLachlan has been capable of brilliance and has written brilliantly for her entire career, but many decades after the publication of her first story, I believe Snowflakes Fall may be her magnum opus. I was stunned anew with each turn of the p ...more
Evie
Such a beautiful, moving story filled with images and metaphors that will melt your heart.

Snowflakes Fall is beautifully written and full of meaning. The illustrations are gorgeous and magical. This wonder of a book was created as a tribute to the victims of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children, six adults and the gunman dead. The story celebrates the beauty of Winter, the uniqueness of each snowflake and each child, and the amazing circle of life. It's sad and emotional r
Linda
There is often a poignancy to Patricia MacLachlan’s stories, and this is no different. Despite the happiness shown by Stephen Kellogg of the children playing in the snow, and later, in the flowers, the story is also about loss, change of seasons on the surface, and loss of childhood perhaps as time moves on. The beauty of the snow and the snow-play and then the rain, finally flowery spring is extraordinary. At the end, the bittersweet words, “And we remember the children—No two the same—All Beau ...more
Sharon
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was anxious for this title to get out of processing at our library. The wait was certainly worthwhile - I just finished reading this to my little girl; I cried. Naomi loved hearing the story.
Snowflakes Fall is beautifully rendered by the very talented Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg. The illustrations are filled with wonder and whimsy - one is transported into the snowy landscape with great joy! MacLachlan's prose is spot-on, not smarmy or overly sentimental. I believe with several mor
Cheri
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think that the illustrations would have been great on their own. The words left so much to be desired!! I was sorely disappointed, because I love Patricia MacLachlan's work, and I've been fortunate enough to meet her on several occasions. I was even more excited that this book's profits go to Sandy Hook. I just don't know how much I'd love reading this aloud to kids. I'll give it a go with the kindergarten next month and we'll see if I change my tune. Until then, it's a 3.
Virginia
The events of Sandy Hook in December of 2012 still affect me deeply two years later. This book by Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg is a bittersweet tribute to the fallen children and teachers of that day. It is easy enough to read the book without referring to the reason it was written, and can be a good read-aloud for discussion with students to see what connections they make.
Emily
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with Steven Kellogg and Patricia MacLachlan. The illustrations, message, and dedication are beautiful, moving, and inspiring. When people create art to help themselves cope with a tragedy and share it with everyone, it touches the world and helps everyone else too.
Laurie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Kalynda
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent illustrations. We, in 2nd grade, are actually going to be using this book as one of our picture walk books to discuss the changing season, and the needs of living things to prepare for this change. In addition to the beautiful illustrations, the words are descriptive and placed on the page so purposefully.
Jackie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book had nice words, but no rhyme. This book had nice pictures, and some mystery. A bobcat, referred to on one spread of pages, appears on the next one. The conclusion, that snow becomes rain, and winter weather becomes blooming spring is a bit much. The idea of no two snowflakes alike, and no two children alike was plenty for a great book.
Dave Lester
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was a bit disappointed with Patricia MacLachlan's children's book, "Snowflakes Fall". She is an award winning author but this seems like standard type fare. Children are compared to snowflakes being unique beings that they are. The language is pretty flowery. The artwork seems overly sentimental. As a society, we have turned snowflakes into a derogatory term so it is likely I'm influenced by that.
Kris
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous poetry, but I don't know how much kids will understand it. As a lyrical way for adults to process the horrors of Sandy Hook, which are still traumatic almost seven years later, this is beautiful, though. I'm not usually a fan of Kellogg's illustrations, and that is pretty much the case here, too, but that last page - he nails it. The text and picture are perfection.
S
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
If you don't read the author's notes, you might never know this was written for and about the Sandy Hook shooting. But if you do, it turns what could be a sweet seasons change book into a bit of a sob fest.
Becky Galambos
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book after I worked on a production of playwright Eric Ulloa's "26 Pebbles" with a group of college students. I asked about the designer's choice of snowflakes, and she explained the significance to the Sandy Hook massacre. What a lovely little story about the cycle of life.
Alicia Thompson
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I got the end of this book and realized that it was a reference to the children who lost their lives at Sandy Hook, I was overcome with emotion. That simple, final sentence, is all one needs to say
And we remember the children-
No two the same-
All beautiful.
Danielle Robertson
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit
When it comes to children's books, the bar is not high for gramnar and widow/orphan control but this book doesn't clear that bar. The book is prose, which is fine, but the cadence of phrases from page to page feels really clunky.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
I introduced this book during storytime as a poem in a picture book. Since the phrase "snowflakes fall" repeats, we used the ASL sign for snow and said it all together. It worked out very well in a group setting.

2020 storytime theme: snowflakes

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tribute to those who died in the Sandy Hook shooting. Also, a good way to teach children about life and death.
Hannah
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winter, seasons
Beautifully illustrated!! A great book about changing seasons
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story shows the delight of children over the changing seasons, the hope and renewal after winter. Fun illustrations. The book is a tribute to individuality.
Katie Solt
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book and fit I children I would read this book two them.
Kristin Nelson
Beautiful illustrations by Steven Kellogg. MacLachlan covers a lot in this poetic book. She even throws in some science.
Julie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Perfect.
Melissa
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. A lovely encouragement to the community of Sandy Hook.
Lauren
Jan 18, 2020 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Emphasizes that no two snowflakes are alike but all are beautiful--just like children.
Meredith Nichols
I thought this was a cute book. I could incorporate this book in the winter months. I think the students will enjoy this book and will get them excited for snow days.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Flora and the Peacocks
  • Little Ree
  • How to Catch a Leprechaun
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • An Early American Christmas
  • Blizzard
  • Before Morning
  • Santa's Busy Night (Board Book Deluxe 2)
  • Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more