Start by marking “Snowflakes Fall” as Want to Read:
Snowflakes Fall

Snowflakes Fall

In Snowflakes Fall, Newbery Medalist Patricia MacLachlan and award-winning artist Steven Kellogg portray life’s natural cycle: its beauty, its joy, and its sorrow. Together, the words and pictures offer the promise of renewal that can be found in our lives—snowflakes fall, and return again as raindrops so that flowers can grow.

MacLachlan and Kellogg, who are longtime frie
Published October 29th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Snowflakes Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflakes Fall

Carol
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"A Snowflake.
A Child.
No two the same--
all beautiful.

A circular sticker with the above quote graces the cover of Snowflakes Fall. The sticker placed by Random House also notes that a donation has been made to The Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

If these two sentiments alone are not enough to encourage you to buy this book for a baby or little friend, just open it and let the pages take you on a journey. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful and the writing simple yet meaningful.

In the
Aleisa
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautiful collaboration between MacLachlan and Kellogg written to honor the children of Sandy Hook Elementary. I had wondered how this would work in a picture book for young children but, fully trusting this author and illustrator, I pre-ordered it for the school. I just received it today and, wow. It's pretty much just a story about snowflakes and children and how they all are different. Until page 11 or so when the happy peaceful story is broken by this, "Wailing winds may blow/ ...more
Ann
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, all-ages, read-aloud
Sweet and simple.

Add in the backstory regarding Sandy Hook, and it's so much more.

Josiah
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book...oh this book...What can I say that would ever be worthy of it? The first time I read it, tears were streaming down my face before I reached the end of the first line. Every time I open it up and read it again, the same thing happens. Patricia MacLachlan has been capable of brilliance and has written brilliantly for her entire career, but many decades after the publication of her first story, I believe Snowflakes Fall may be her magnum opus. I was stunned anew with each turn of the p ...more
Evie
Such a beautiful, moving story filled with images and metaphors that will melt your heart.

Snowflakes Fall is beautifully written and full of meaning. The illustrations are gorgeous and magical. This wonder of a book was created as a tribute to the victims of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children, six adults and the gunman dead. The story celebrates the beauty of Winter, the uniqueness of each snowflake and each child, and the amazing circle of life. It's sad and emotional r
Linda
There is often a poignancy to Patricia MacLachlan’s stories, and this is no different. Despite the happiness shown by Stephen Kellogg of the children playing in the snow, and later, in the flowers, the story is also about loss, change of seasons on the surface, and loss of childhood perhaps as time moves on. The beauty of the snow and the snow-play and then the rain, finally flowery spring is extraordinary. At the end, the bittersweet words, “And we remember the children—No two the same—All Beau ...more
Sharon
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was anxious for this title to get out of processing at our library. The wait was certainly worthwhile - I just finished reading this to my little girl; I cried. Naomi loved hearing the story.
Snowflakes Fall is beautifully rendered by the very talented Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg. The illustrations are filled with wonder and whimsy - one is transported into the snowy landscape with great joy! MacLachlan's prose is spot-on, not smarmy or overly sentimental. I believe with several mor
Cheri
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think that the illustrations would have been great on their own. The words left so much to be desired!! I was sorely disappointed, because I love Patricia MacLachlan's work, and I've been fortunate enough to meet her on several occasions. I was even more excited that this book's profits go to Sandy Hook. I just don't know how much I'd love reading this aloud to kids. I'll give it a go with the kindergarten next month and we'll see if I change my tune. Until then, it's a 3.
Virginia
The events of Sandy Hook in December of 2012 still affect me deeply two years later. This book by Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg is a bittersweet tribute to the fallen children and teachers of that day. It is easy enough to read the book without referring to the reason it was written, and can be a good read-aloud for discussion with students to see what connections they make.
Emily
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with Steven Kellogg and Patricia MacLachlan. The illustrations, message, and dedication are beautiful, moving, and inspiring. When people create art to help themselves cope with a tragedy and share it with everyone, it touches the world and helps everyone else too.
Laurie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Dave Lester
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was a bit disappointed with Patricia MacLachlan's children's book, "Snowflakes Fall". She is an award winning author but this seems like standard type fare. Children are compared to snowflakes being unique beings that they are. The language is pretty flowery. The artwork seems overly sentimental. As a society, we have turned snowflakes into a derogatory term so it is likely I'm influenced by that.
Kalynda
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent illustrations. We, in 2nd grade, are actually going to be using this book as one of our picture walk books to discuss the changing season, and the needs of living things to prepare for this change. In addition to the beautiful illustrations, the words are descriptive and placed on the page so purposefully.
Jackie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book had nice words, but no rhyme. This book had nice pictures, and some mystery. A bobcat, referred to on one spread of pages, appears on the next one. The conclusion, that snow becomes rain, and winter weather becomes blooming spring is a bit much. The idea of no two snowflakes alike, and no two children alike was plenty for a great book.
Sam
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
If you don't read the author's notes, you might never know this was written for and about the Sandy Hook shooting. But if you do, it turns what could be a sweet seasons change book into a bit of a sob fest.
Becky Galambos
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book after I worked on a production of playwright Eric Ulloa's "26 Pebbles" with a group of college students. I asked about the designer's choice of snowflakes, and she explained the significance to the Sandy Hook massacre. What a lovely little story about the cycle of life.
Danielle Robertson Rath
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit
When it comes to children's books, the bar is not high for gramnar and widow/orphan control but this book doesn't clear that bar. The book is prose, which is fine, but the cadence of phrases from page to page feels really clunky.
Alicia Thompson
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I got the end of this book and realized that it was a reference to the children who lost their lives at Sandy Hook, I was overcome with emotion. That simple, final sentence, is all one needs to say
And we remember the children-
No two the same-
All beautiful.
Julie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Perfect.
Katie Solt
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book and fit I children I would read this book two them.
Hannah
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasons, winter
Beautifully illustrated!! A great book about changing seasons
Kristin Nelson
Beautiful illustrations by Steven Kellogg. MacLachlan covers a lot in this poetic book. She even throws in some science.
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story shows the delight of children over the changing seasons, the hope and renewal after winter. Fun illustrations. The book is a tribute to individuality.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tribute to those who died in the Sandy Hook shooting. Also, a good way to teach children about life and death.
Katie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just a slightly cute book about how no snowflakes are the same, just like children. And all special. It had a nice message and I found it touching, Steven's role and place in Sandy Hook, however I didn't see a way to use it for 3rd graders. Maybe as more of just an introduction, or fun winter read, but not what I was expecting for the educational purpose.
I love the illustrations!
Merri Platt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is about how the world looks like after snowflakes fall and what happens when the snowflakes melt. It details all the different places where snowflakes fall. It falls on people, it falls on the trees, it falls on houses, churches and rivers. It makes the world look all white and clean. When snowflakes fall a lot, children can enjoy the snow from inside their warm houses. It also explains that no two snowflakes are the same and they are all different just like children all over the wor ...more
Margaret Chind
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelweiss
Juvenile Fiction/Social Issues
Ages 3-7, Preschool - 2nd
Pages: 32 Hardcover 10x9.5"
Date Published: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers

The Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale picture book I grew up with was Steven Kellogg and the first chapter books to memory were Patricia MacLachlan so I was intrigued to see these two team up in a new picture book for winter.

Snowflakes Fall is beautiful. Perfect for a snowflake study as a poetic read aloud. Also wonderful as a read to expre
LeAnne
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What struck me first was the gorgeous contrast of white snowflakes on dark blue sky, accented by the bright winter clothing of the children and families in the illustrations. There is a theme of changing seasons giving us both flowers and snowflakes (with rain as a necessary transition). The other repeated theme speaks of both snowflakes and children: Each one a pattern all its own--no two the same--all beautiful.

Each illustration merits study for its delightful details. There is so much joy he
Paula
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This poignant tribute to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims is an unbroken verse that celebrates rebirth and individuality. MacLachlan’s words celebrate the joys of winter and the coming spring and childhoods spent in happy play. Kellogg’s lovely illustrations feature children reveling in the countryside snow and the changing of seasons. The references to falling snowflakes and snow angels in both text and illustrations aptly allude to the young victims, although the book is neith ...more
Rachel Devine
1) Awards: none
2) Grades: Preschool-2
3) This book is about snowflakes and where they fall and what you can do with snow. It talks about winter and the characteristics of winter. This book is very poetic in its wording and even the way the words are on the page.
4) I love winter and everything having to do with winter so I love this book. I love the detail and artistic nature of the pictures and I like that they cover the whole page. It helps to bring you into the book. I also like that the story
  • A Perfect Day
  • Eat Like a Bear
  • Inside Outside
  • Stardines Swim High Across the Sky: and Other Poems
  • The Museum
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more