Start by marking “Desired to Death” as Want to Read:
Desired to Death

Desired to Death

The empty nest can be murder! Just ask stay-at-home mom Maggie True whose daughter has just left for college—leaving Maggie with a burning question for her husband Joe: “Now what am I going to do with the rest of my life?”

Never in her wildest dreams does small-town Maggie imagine the answer will come in the form of a middle-of-the-night call for help from an estranged frie
Published April 26th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Desired to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desired to Death

Start your review of Desired to Death
Erika Marks
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just when she’s faced with how to fill up her newly emptied nest, Maggie True learns that an old friend has been charged with the murder of a younger man, a kickboxing instructor known as Tattoo Boy, whose sexy charms Maggie soon learns had been recently leaving their mark on many of the women of Halfway Bay, Maine. Empowered with a new sense of purpose she thought she’d lost when her daughter left for college, Maggie decides to help crack the case, but nothing in her sleepy town is what it seem ...more
Melissa Crytzer Fry
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I met J.M. Maison on Twitter years ago and we became friends, I got a taste of her wonderfully written blog. I knew right then – from her fabulous storytelling – that I had to sample her fiction. Confession: this is the first “cozy” mystery I’ve read (and the first mystery I’ve read since high school), but I had a blast seeing some of J.M.’s real-life experiences and settings (as portrayed on her blog) come to life in her fictional characters.

The tiny town of Halfway Bay, Maine, is not as s
Jamie Miles
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What if your friend called in the middle-of-the-night crying as she had been arrested for the murder of a much-younger, buff-bodied paramour? A deceased lover who was so powerful that even the grave couldn't contain his magnetism over women.

I loved reading a "who done it" with a super sleuth I could relate to. "Desired to Death", the first novel in J. M. Maison's "Empty Nest Can be Murder" series captured me from the start. Halfway between Miss Marple and some glamorous C.S.I 20-something, Magg
DJ Sakata
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of Desired to Death by J.M. Maison as a Goodreads first reader. I absolutely adored it and would highly recommend it to any adult reader, male or female. I found it fresh, crisp, intriguing, and totally entertaining. I resented any interruption that required me to stop reading - such as having to go to work, or eat a meal... Even with those time-wasted tasks, I consumed the book in a day and feverishly wished for more of the same. I would love to know Maggie and Joe and w ...more
Kate
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Empty Nest Can Be Murder" Desired to Death is the first in a new mystery series about an empty-nester mom who is pulled into solving an intriguing murder mystery in a small Maine coast town. Really pulls you along with lots of surprises. Can't wait for the next book!
Laurie Buchanan
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
J. M. Maison dishes up a murder with a generous helping of spice! What do we do with hot salsa? Keep eating to stay ahead of the flames. And so it is with "Desired to Death." A page-turner that doesn't disappoint.
Reet Singh
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Has enough twists and turns to put a pigtail to shame. I confess to suspecting everyone, the suspense was so good.
Elaine
I liked everything about this book and that's saying a lot for a cozy mystery. I liked its characters and the Maine coast setting. I liked that even though it centers around a popular young lover, there weren't any explicit sex scenes. There doesn't need to be for a book to be good.

Maggie receives a phone call from a friend whom she hadn't been close with in years. Cara's been arrested for the murder of her young lover; All the evidence points to her and the police believe they have their (wo)m
Jolina Petersheim
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved so many aspects of Desired to Death's plot--the opening phone call, the estranged best friend who Maggie tries to exonerate, the details of Tattoo Boy were superb (he was Technicolor vivid!). And I especially LOVED the bond between Maggie and her husband, Joe. Excited to read the next in this series by JM Maison!
Cory
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author is a friend, and I'm quite proud of her first novel.
Jennifer Wixson
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not a regular mystery reader, however, this summer's never-ending rain pushed me to the brink one day and I picked up Desired to Death as a way to escape. Good choice! From page one I found myself drawn into this story of an "empty nester" in a posh Maine community struggling to find a new raison d'etre. Fortunately for Maggie True, one of her estranged friends is shortly charged with a brutal (and bizarre) murder, giving her something else to do besides walk her dog. Maggie has some natural ...more
Sharon Storm
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mostly fun story that combines a mystery with a change of life tale. Maggie True and her husband Joe live in a small town, and with their children away at college, Maggie is suffering from empty nest issues. Her life takes some unexpected twists when she decides to help a former friend who is accused of murder. We're reminded a few times too many that Maggie misses her kids, and she almost seems too good to be true. The story moved along well and the character descriptions were very good. Nice, ...more
Heather L
This book was cute, if a little predictable. I enjoyed the loving, playful relationship between Joe and Maggie. Frank annoyed me, the other women involved seemed caddy and tedious. There was a good start to this book, but it lost its hold on me by the middle. Towards the end, I was just trying to finish it. Not a great find for a freebie, but then again -- it WAS free. I won't dwell on it....now just on to something better! :)
Lisa
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read Desired to Death by J. M. Maison, aka my blogging buddy, Julia Monroe Martin. This is a delightful summer read (actually any time you feel like a little mystery). Miss Marple meets Jessica Fletcher, meets modern woman facing a big change in her life as murder and mayhem make their way into her cozy little home in Maine. Julia is a fabulous writer and I truly enjoyed this book.
Michele
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, mystery
The plot was good, but the characters didn't seem well developed, some of the situations were awkward....the story didn't flow well. I will give this author another try, hoping her writing smoother out a bit.
Tomi
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy, enjoyable read - nice to read about someone "normal" solving crimes...and also good to read about a solid, long-lasting marriage! This was a decent murder mystery; it didn't take long to read and kept me guessing about the killer all the way through.
J Clement Wall
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a lot of fun with this book. It's a perfect summer read - quick, entertaining, with an enormously likable heroine and a wonderfully sordid cast of characters. I don't normally read cozy mysteries, but I'm glad I picked this one up!
Suzanne Hamilton
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not a mystery fan, but I enjoyed this quick, entertaining whodunit very much. It helps that the setting was very familiar!
Rebecca
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
A real cozy. Had minor flaws, like a short POV break, but otherwise good.
Pat
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wearing the Spider
  • It's Nothing Personal
  • Surrender to the Fury
  • Castle Cay (Julie O'Hara Mystery #1)
  • A Perfect Fit (DiCarlo Brides #1)
  • An Uncommon Cold
  • Still Waters
  • Truth or Date (Better Date than Never, #2)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • The Job Offer
  • The Angry Woman Suite
  • Seeing Stars
  • Hide in Plain Sight (The Three Sisters Inn, #1)
  • Blood Score
  • First Impressions
  • Rescued by the Rancher
  • A Dream of Death (Detective Lincoln Munroe, Book 1)
  • Honeymoon for One
J.M. Maison is the mystery-writing pen name of Julia Munroe Martin. She was born in Déols, France, and now lives with her husband on the southern coast of Maine. Julia is a gardener, photographer, reader, roadtripper, and above all a writer. www.juliamunroemartin.com ...more