Start by marking “The Story Guy” as Want to Read:

(Lakefield novellas)

In this eBook original novella, Mary Ann Rivers introduces a soulful and sexy tale of courage, sacrifice, and love.

I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only.

Carrie West is happy with her life... isn’t she? But when she sees this provocative online ad, the thirtysomething librarian can’t help but be tempted. After all, the photo of the anonymou
Published July 8th 2013 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about The Story Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Guy

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo RiversThestoryguyTitlebySueBee_zpsdd9274a7.jpg
 photo abs-gif-glasses-guy-hot-Favim_com-231995_zpsc435667b.gif
★★★★ ! The Story Guy (stand-alone novella). A poignant, sweet & beautifully told tale about Brian & Carrie who set out to meet for kissing sessions in the park on Wednesdays!

“Story guys are like life highlighters. Your life is all these big blocks of gray text, and then a story guy comes in with a big ol’ paragraph of neon pink so that when you flip back through your life, you can stop and remember all the important and interesting places.”

The Story Guy is the poignant and swee
Baba
4.5 beautiful, different and inspirational stars.****Review completed July 14, 2013

photo tumblr_mf8l2sz1xT1rtmv8po1_500_zps9591f262.gif

I know the man in this gif is too old to be the hero of The Story Guy, but please leave a girl her little fantasy.

Jill
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it

At thirty though Carrie's feeling comfortable with her life, happy in her job as a librarian, she also feels she's lacking something. Scanning the personals she comes across an intriguing ad from a guy who wants to meet up on Wednesdays in the park, promising kissing only.

As a work of general fiction this reads very well. As a romance, not so much. The premise of two people meeting for kissing only on a Wednesday lunch hour sounded somewhat odd and desperate, but interesting enough. And differen
willaful
At an emotional low ebb in her usually pleasant life, librarian Carrie comes across an intriguing personal ad: one lunchtime meeting a week for kissing only, no dating, no hookups. Carrie is as struck with the man's photo as his ad -- handsome, dimpled, yet curiously self-protective -- and starts to weave a fantasy around him:

"Of course, maybe it isn't just Wednesdays. I have the sudden fanciful notion that maybe on Mondays he meets a stranger to just chat. Tuesdays, he meets another for hand-ho
Mandi Schreiner
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, novella
The first person to recommend this book to me was Claudia, but since then I’ve seen a lot of buzz about this book and for good reason. Mary Ann Rivers gives us an emotional, moving, sometimes funny, sometimes sad book about two strangers who start with a simple kiss and end with much, much more.

Carrie West is a librarian who is just plain lonely. She has friends, she has great parents and a good job. But after a few years of not dating she is in a funk. Her loved apartment feels too small and sh
Karla

4 Stars! Unique lovely story!

I would have liked it to go on for just a little bit more, not only because the story was so unusual, beautiful and heartwarming, but Brian and Carrie were the best kind of hero and heroine. Two inherently good people with huge hearts! They made each other stronger, and accepted what the other brought to the table, despite the impact it might ultimately have on their relationship.

The HEA is left to the imagination, but you know it is meant to be. Oh yeah... and I cri
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
Well, here I am on my lonely island of unpopular opinion yet again. It seems everyone adores this novella and I was left unfulfilled and somewhat irritated by the experience.

I loved the premise of the story. It was unique, certainly nothing I've ever read before. The fact this story starts with nothing but kissing and not straight to sex with a stranger excited me to no end. I knew when I heard that was the case that I had to read this. Unfortunately, I think that created an expectation for the
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"'Story guys are like life highlighters. Your life is all these big blocks of gray text, and then a story guy comes in with a big ol’ paragraph of neon pink so that when you flip back through your life, you can stop and remember all the important and interesting places.'"

This was such a sweet, beautiful, enjoyable book. I almost never read contemporary chick lit of this sort, but I've heard a lot of good things about this little book and I was drawn in. It is a novella, in any case, roughly 100
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only.

This isn't the kind of story I'd normally pick up, but there was something about the idea of two lonely souls meeting once a week to share stolen kisses in the park that sent my imagination flying. I couldn't stop wondering what would compel Carrie and Brian to enter into such an arrangement. It sounded so tawdry, so shallow, and yet, so heartfelt and hopeful, and honestly, I simply couldn't resist finding out what brought
Las
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I went back and forth between a 2 and 3 with this one. Ultimately, lovely writing and an enjoyable premise couldn't make up for the plot and what I felt were weak character motivations. The more I thought about the story, the more those things bothered me.

Carrie is a 30-something single woman who's feeling a bit low emotionally at the start of the story. She has a good life--loving parents, friends, nothing really to complain about, but loneliness has started to set in. One night as she was per
Steelwhisper
Came up in friend discussions. Leery because a) tearjerker and b) I've absolutely no tolerance for the US-dating-stuff

--------- there be spoilers below ------------

Oookay. The tearjerking jerked no tears at all, instead I was middling-to-majorly exasperated with this book and the concepts behind it.

First off, the formatting is really off, and the proofreader needs glasses. At times my kindle version was barely readable. Authors: don't get inventive with typesetting and formatting. Just stay with
Jacqueline
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, romantic, poignant and beautifully written, I adored this novella.

Carrie, a lonely librarian is intrigued by an ad she sees in the lonely hearts column. A man wants to meet a woman every Wednesday lunchtime to kiss. The woman can touch him anywhere, but he promises only to touch her above the shoulders. She's attracted by the photo he posts and decides to give it a go.

Well...I can't ever recall reading a more erotic account of a kiss. Well, lots of kisses actually. (view spoiler)
Ridley
Originally posted on Love in the Margins.

Carrie West, city librarian, has hit a bit of a rut in her life. She’s just canceled an Alaskan cruise after breaking down in tears (at work!) at the idea of playing the thirty-something year old third wheel to her very happily married parents. She swears to herself and her friends that she’s content in her singlehood, but she can’t resist reading the personals section of a local want ad website. As she’s reading through the listings early one morning, an
Karen Wellsbury
I've owned this book for so long, and I've out off reading it for almost as long - about 2 years !
Lots of reasons why not, all related to the time this was recommended to me, not the book itself ! But last night I was flicking through my TBR and opened it.
I read this in one go, hooked from the beginning by the combination of the writing, characters who read like actual people, and the lovely lovely love story.

Carrie meets Brian via an interesting ad - meet on Wednesdays, he will touch you only a
Regina
There are some romances that make a reader smile. There are some romance novels that steam up glasses. And there are romances that make a reader cry from joy and again from sadness and then again from joy. The Story Guyis all of these and more. I could not put this book (or my kindle ..) down. There are are some romances where everything is too easy. There are some romance novels that end almost too perfectly happy and the problems just disappear. And then there are some romance novels that purp ...more
namericanwordcat
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romance readers
This is a very special book. Poignant, beautifully written, crafted, and sizzling hot. The wonder of this book is that is not fantasy really as so many romance novels (rightfully so) are. The author says she writes about the people standing in line in front of her for coffee and she does. There is no escapism in this book except for the escape into possibility and choice. Grand romantic stuff.

Written in the first person from the view of our awesome librarian heroine, the love story is tender, e
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
Lovely. That's the one word that sums up this book.
It's lovely, sweet, romantic and hot.

The writing is intelligent, the kissing is the hottest kissing I've ever read, the lead male is an incredibly good guy, lead female is sweet and geeky and the story is very romantic.

Wonderful short read.
Angie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angie by: Carolyn Crane
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I can thank the ever-reliable Carolyn Crane for inspiring me to track down an advanced copy of this one. I read her mini-review and was seriously sold. She said it was romantic, smart, and full of "character mysteries," a term I had never even really thought of before but that I instantly got and loved. So it was Carolyn's review and the following little teaser line from the novella that piqued my interest:
I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration
Rachel the Book Harlot
"The only thing worse than smug married couple;
lots of smug married couples."
-Bridget Jones's Diary
Helen Fielding
In some ways, reading this novella reminded me of the dinner party scene in the film Bridget Jones's Diary. Bridget Jones attends a dinner party hosted and filled with seemingly happy (and color-coordinated) married couples, then spends an uncomfortable evening fielding questions and comments about her love life: "You really ought to hurry up and get sprugged up, you know, old gir
Rose
Some of you are probably thinking "Rose, woman, why are you only giving this three stars?" I did like it, but not as much as I hoped. Many measures were missing from this story to me and it just didn't connect as well when considering it in the aftermath.

In truth, I probably would've loved this if were given the full novel treatment - given more of a chance of fleshing out and more on the side of the emotional intimacy to details pertinent within the story and the characters. I'll admit I wanted
Perceptive
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS.

NOW.

SO amazingly good. So gorgeously written. The language is lush and emotional. This novella is a luxury goose down comforter, so wonderful to sink into and wrap up in, for readers who think literary romance is not and never should be an oxymoron.

The set up is so original and yet heartbreaking realistic. The characters are real, three dimensional, living people. The secondary characters scarcely appear on the page, yet still have distinct personalities. The writing is clever and real
Amy
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2read2

Amazing, breathtaking, sexy, exquisitely beautiful. Probably the best debut romance novella I've ever read. No words to express how gorgeous this story is. This book is the best $.99 you will spend this year. Every romance reader should experience the voice of Mary Ann Rivers. I'm now sobbing because she has no backlist but with this one inspiring story, she now has a permanent place on my bookshelf.

"You're my story guy...I sort of told you about it once. Some idea Justin has about somebody tha
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Me encantó. Fue hermoso, hace rato que un libro no me gustaba tanto. Y también me hizo llorar como una bebe. Lo único malo es que es muy corto (120 páginas). Amé a los personajes y me encanta cuando los autores usan cosas que suelo detestar (podríamos decir que acá hay algo de insta-lust, insta-love) pero la autora lo escribe de una manera que es hermosa y se las ingenió para que por un rato dejara de pensar, disfrutara y me enamorara de la historia. Lo amé.
Carolyn Crane
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous, romantic, and smart, and full of the kind of character mysteries that I love. The story itself is quite simple, but full of complexity and richness, nuanced little tweaks of thinking and some very hot scenes, including a phone sex scene that rather delighted me. Plus, I really enjoy reading about librarians, and this book delivered on the librarian thing. I can't believe it's just a novella, actually. Yum!!
Alexis Hall
I can't believe I haven't written a thing about this. It's one of my favourite stories ever. Fragile and intense and sexy and beautiful. Enchanting heroine, vulnerable hero-who-is-a-person (which needs to be a trope, why can't this be a trope?). Also kissing.

Wonderful kissing.
Tamara
I cant decide whether I should give 2 or 3 stars to this one. It started so good: One sleepless night, the main character Carrie comes across to an ad in a dating site:
“I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only. I won't touch you below the shoulders. You can touch me anywhere. No dating, no hookups. I will meet with you for as long as you meet me, so if you miss a Wednesday we part as strangers. No picture necessary, we can settle details via IM. Reply back with "W
♥Rachel♥
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
3.5 Stars

The Story Guy
was a beautifully written, wistful romance in 120 short pages.

Carrie is in her middle thirties and mostly happy with her life with nice parents and friends and a job at the library she loves, but she’s a little lonely. Carrie’s struck out with the professional dating websites that matched her up men that seem more like stylized versions of real people. But she hasn’t been actively looking for a relationship. Surfing the MetroLink personals is an late night addiction full
...
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

Well, color me surprised. Another beautiful, poetic voice in the world of erotic romance. They are so few and far between, I, for one, am thrilled that Ms. Rivers is finally on the scene.

The set-up of this novella is unique and intriguing and...okay, a little weird. It was a little weird when Carrie and Brian first met, too, and I was thinking there was no way there was going to be chemistry between these two characters. And then the kiss happened. And wow.

I really felt the struggles of
Crista
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Story Guy is a quick and short read that never comes across that way. It is multi-layered, unique, and memorable.

Brian Newburgh and Carrie West meet online after Carrie answers a personal add. The add states that Brian is looking for a Wednesday afternoon weekly meeting that will consist of "kissing only". The add clearly states that this meeting will not result in a relationship or anything further sexual. Kissing only.

This is of course a romance novel, so the rules set up in the personal a
Wendy'sThoughts
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Where to start? The novella had more depth and real life lessons than a 1000 page ode. To express and show what being alone and wanting more- but not really figuring out how to get it was so sweetly expressed. The frustration one can feel of knowing there is more out there but sometimes letting fear stop you from trying to get it was perfectly expressed.

But the sensual nature of the connection between Carrie and Brian rang so true for me... understanding that need to have the lips touching, hol
  • Big Boy
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Breath on Embers
  • Beyond Repair
  • Heating Up the Holidays 3-Story Bundle
  • The Chocolate Touch  (Amour et Chocolat #4)
  • Unbound
  • Kiss the Bride (Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
Mary Ann Rivers has been wearing a groove in her library card since she was old enough for story time. She’s been writing almost as long—her first publication credit was in Highlights magazine. She started writing and reading romance in the fifth grade once she stumbled on the rainbow of romance novel book spines in the library’s fiction stacks.

She was an English and music major and went on to ear

Lakefield novellas (3 books)
  • My Only Sunshine
  • Snowfall
“I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only. I won’t touch you below the shoulders. You can touch me anywhere. No dating, no hookups. I will meet with you for as long as you meet me, so if you miss a Wednesday we part as strangers…” 15 likes
“You were the first thing I had asked for, just for me, in a long, long time.” 12 likes