Start by marking “Here There Be Monsters (Iron Seas, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Here There Be Monsters (Iron Seas, #0.5)

Here There Be Monsters (The Iron Seas 0.5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,738 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Two years ago, blacksmith Ivy, desperate to flee London, purchased her overseas passage by agreeing to spend the voyage in the bed of the pirate captain, Mad Machen. Saved at the last minute by his rival, Ivy scraped out a new life in Fool’s Cove…until Mad Machen finds her, forces her to accept a job that will create a monster, and reminds her that she still owes him the p ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Berkley (Penguin Group USA) (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Here There Be Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here There Be Monsters

Here There Be Monsters is a companion novella (#0.5) that introduces readers to Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series. It's super sexy and contains all the amazing elements steampunk has to offer. The characters are great: fragile but extremely intelligent women, people with functioning mechanical limbs, ruthless pirates...there's a man-made kraken and a romance that blew my socks off. I may just keep a particular kiss scene bookmarked for life. If you have any interest in this series, then make sure ...more
PointyEars42
It's (a) an adventure on the high seas! No, it's (b) a kidnapped by pirates romance! No, (c) it's Shark Week goes Steampunk! Well, whatever it is, it's awesome. And (d) it has kraken!

Please note that I didn't actually get the audio version, but it's the only story I read in Burning Up so I'm pretending I acquired a stand alone. Plus now all the cover pics for the series will look the same.

(a) The author again dips into her Iron Seas world from a very different angle. More serious than the Indian
Crina
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prn, steampunk, reviews
It's been a couple of years since the people of Britain were able to liberate themselves from the Horde, who controlled their bodies for years through nanoagents in their blood. Ivy Blacksmith had been one of their slaves, so she's terrified when she wakes one night unable to move, just as when her body was controlled by the Horde, while men search the room where she sleeps.

When they leave and she can move again, Ivy knows she needs to leave London as fast as possible. She has barely any money,
Kate
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella, and a pretty complete story despite the length. The world is a very original, steampunk London with some historical references but an undefined time frame. The characters were interesting and had as much depth as time would allow. This is a romance story, make no mistake. That being said- Laurel K Hamilton can eat her heart out. I listened to the audio version of this on my iPod, which I plug into my car. Some of the steamier scenes were so very steamy, that I turned the volum ...more
Sophia
After happily devouring The Iron Duke, I really loved the Iron Seas world so I've gone back for the novellas that chronologically came before and just after that novel.
Little bit of advice to other readers, get the Iron Duke first and then go back for the prequels like this one. This was a fantastic story, but the world of the story wouldn't have made a lick of sense without the broader explanation given in the Iron Duke. Plus, the conflict with the antagonists in this book make sense only after
Nidofito
An introductory novella that has left super interested and excited to read the Iron Seas series.
Kelly
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so enraptured of the Iron Seas series right now. Meljean Brook could write about a gentle Kraken trying to reconcile with his Kraken wife while dealing with the stresses of his day job and I'd be all "WOOT! MOAR IRON SEAS!"

Okay. Maybe that wasn't the best scenario, but YOU GET THE POINT.

This world. SO GOOD. I'm all flaily hands and crazy eyes about it. It's kinda an awesome feeling.

This time around, we're given a pirate and a blacksmith. Both of them have their secrets and I ADORED watching
Laura the Highland Hussy
prequel to the Iron Duke. I loved the characters and the world-building. Was a bit confused at times, but I didn't seem to mind ;P

review from Burning Up where this novella originally was published is here
Penni
Loved this novella. Love the characters Meljean Brook creates, the Iron Seas world, and the great adventures and stories she writes. Meljean Brook is a master at unique H/h's and the slow burn. Yum. The narration was good also, definitely adding to the story for me.
Shawnie
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, vf-bc
I really need to get back to this series. I loved this novella.
Nov 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
Own in the Burning Up anthology
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)

A.M.
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Ivy Blacksmith had been a slave under the horde, a tiny slim girl forced to clean chimneys with her robotic arms. Years later, after the Iron Duke has destroyed the radio tower and freed them all, she wakes in her bed frozen and unable to move, the same way the radio tower controlled people in the past. Slavers are taking people in her building. Fearful they will come back for her and desperate to escape, she goes to the Pirate Captain Eben ‘Mad’ Machen, to make him an offer. She knows he’s in t ...more
Bethany
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s a lot of so-called “Steampunk Romance” floating around out there, much of which is typical historical romance with a dash of clockwork and a sprinkling of automatons, served with an airship for dessert. That is NOT the case in Here There Be Monsters.

I downloaded this audiobook from the library on a whim – I’d never heard of the author (shame on me!) and just happened to catch the description as I was searching for something to listen to while I baked cookies. BEST ACCIDENT EVER! While th
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
A terrifying experience has Ivy Blacksmith desperate to leave England. But with only the clothes on her back and her skills as a blacksmith she has nothing much to offer. Mad Machen cannot believe Ivy Blacksmith, the woman he had been planning to court has come to him for help...offering him the only thing she has; herself, her virginity, but before he can reassure her he was not a beast planning on raping her, she disappears. Two years later, he finally manages to track her down....

Another nove
Danielle Gypsy Soul
4.5 Stars! Here There Be Monsters was my first Steampunk book and my first book by Meljean Brook but it won't be my last. This book had a fun plot, interesting world, passion, action and even humor. I really enjoyed this book!

I really liked both Mad Machen and Ivy. The relationship was a slow build as she was both afraid of and didn't like him in the beginning.
Ivy was a strong woman with a bit of vulnerability. She has an interesting past and a lot of courage. Mad Machen is more then his reputa
Melindeeloo
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the Burning Up anthology, and it is funny to see that I had commented way back when that I wasn't drawn to steampunk, because Brook is actually the one who made me a convert. I am now a steampunk fan for the twisted histories. For me steampunk is sort like historical UF. My original review ...

"Here There Be Monsters" - Meljean Brook - I am a huge fan of Brook's Guardians but this story was something completely different - a prequel to Brook's upcoming Steampunk series. I a
Maggie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Hi, my name is Maggie and I have a Meljean Brook addiction.
Claire
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved Ivy! Loved Eben! Loved the peek at Yasmeen! I'm pretty sure I've fallen hard for this world.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
I really struggled with this as a romance, Ivy is genuinely scared of Mad Marchen and he doesn't do that much to try and stop her fear, just hoping that with enough time she'll learn he's not going to (rather than just tell her she doesn't have to worry about it). I'm also not sure why he likes her so much, they met once 2 years ago and he's supposed to love her, I just don't get it.
Melanie Schuler
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was rather confusing and hard to picture as I was reading. I had a tough time finishing even for a story so short. I was highly disappointed. Will not be reading anymore books in this series or by this author again even if it is highly rated by so many others. I had a better introduction to steampunk romance by Bec McMaster.
Kathy
Sam
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish Meljean Brooks had made this particular story into a full-length novel--it was a storyline that caught my attention in her second book in the series and that I was extremely curious to learn more about. This novella delivers, but I would have loved to follow these particular characters for more than (about) 100 pages!
Paraphrodite
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
3 stars.

Read this novella a few years ago and didn't like it but surprisingly I didn't mind it so much this time around as an audiobook. Maybe I'm more familiar in the Steampunk genre now then before. Anyway, on to the next book and let's see....
Mary Hartshorn
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! A very satisfying steampunk romance filled with interesting and lovable characters, along with krakens, and armored megalodons! I highly recommend this book.
Tamara
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The characters did not seem to be that great together.
Solveig
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. .. fantastic characters and world building . hot ad hell!!! 💟
L
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different! And very well written!
Anne
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2017-books-read
Good story, despite a number of errors.
Cristy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2018
Read Harder Challenge #10(b): A romance novel by or about a person of color.

Better-ish story. Still dislike romance novels. 2.5 stars
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Enthralled (Breeds #19.5; League of the Black Swan #1.5; Iron Seas #3.5, Children of the Moon #3.5)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • My Lord Mayhem (Disenchanted & Co., #0.5)
  • The Damsel and the Daggerman (Blud, #2.5)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Gunpowder Alchemy (The Gunpowder Chronicles #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Blood Charged (Dragon Blood, #3)
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • Geared for Pleasure (Elemental Steam #1)
  • Skies of Gold (The Ether Chronicles, #5)
Book info: I am the author of the Iron Seas steampunk romance series. I've written a guide to the world (including a map) on my website.

I also write a paranormal romance series, the Guardians. That series guide is also on my website, including a "The Story So Far" feature, which allows you to catch up on all of the books that previously released in the series if you start after the first installm
More about Meljean Brook

The Iron Seas (5 books)
  • The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1)
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be