Start by marking “Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)” as Want to Read:
Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)

Leather+Lace

(Opposites Attract #2)

Swathed in chiffon and lace, Steven Stanhope owns the stage as Stevie Tricks, lip-synching the songs of the famous gypsy queen. But after he escapes an abusive Master/slave relationship, the only collar he'll allow around his neck is black velvet.

After a four-year absence, Steve is ready to reclaim his life and the property he left behind. But is it safe? Definitely not if
Published March 22nd 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leather+Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leather+Lace

Start your review of Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
Baba

Authenticity.
Honesty.
Appreciation.
Love.

A few years ago Steve quite literally ditched his abusive Master's shackles and fled to England. Now he's back in Australia to claim the life and property he had to leave behind and attends a charitable fundraiser impersonating Stevie Nicks. Good ole Steve is quite…er…busy that evening.

"I thought this was a c@ck-sucking contest, not bobbing for apples in a bloody barrel."

Sorry
Steelwhisper
At least 8* (unfortunately GR doesn't have more than 5)

Before anything else: it's a pleasure to read erudite and flowing prose, spiced with the right amount of "Aussie-ness" to pique your interest, and garnered with enough local colour so you feel like visiting another country. I noticed Gayle's abilities in that department already in Caught, but it is even more pronounced in this story.

Sooo...

This is a BDSM-themed book which stands head and shoulders above the rest, regardless of whether writte
Emma Sea
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is extremely well-written and thoughtful. I loved the Australian setting, the dialogue is a joy, and I don't have a single criticism about the way it's constructed. I'm not rating it because it was absolutely the wrong book for me at the time I read it.

I wanted a slutty, dirty fic and this is . . . well . . . not. I wanted cheetos and coke drunk straight from the bottle, on a rug at the beach, and this is a fine restaurant meal.

EDIT: Actually, I'm rating this after all. Even though it was
Dani

So here is the thing: I won’t be able to properly review this book without the ever so slightly TMI.

So bear with me, if you will. We’ll get there and hopefully you will understand why this book is special. To me, and also, I believe, in general.

Ok, let’s talk about kinksters. Serious kinksters. Especially gay or straight identified male doms/sirs/masters/what have yous.
Let’s narrow it down to those who elevate their kink to more than just a part-time hobby. Who seriously invest into the commun
A.B. Gayle
Feb 23, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"Leather + Lace" is the second of what I hope will be a number of stand alone books whose characters will make cameo appearances in each other's stories. The plus symbol in the title is not just “and.” It indicates that the final result is the sum of the two. Both aspects contribute to something new.

While the characters in this book are different, they exist in the same world and time frame as the series opener, Red+Blue, and one minor character links in. You don't have to have read "Red+Blue" f
Jane
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, m-m
I absolutely loved this book and five stars doesn't convey how much I got out of reading it. If I had to pick one word to describe it, it would be 'fresh'. Fresh setting; Australia, fresh take on BDSM -- coupled with a solid background of the traditional side of it; fresh treatment of what can often be a by-the-numbers romance with a Dom and a sub meeting and falling in love.

I read it and felt each and every character come alive on the page, flawed, damaged, real. As Steven's past with Julius is
Kaje Harper
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the slow development of this story- watching the growing mutual discovery and relationship between Steve, a man who let love convince him to go far deeper into a slave relationship than he truly wanted, and Don, the Dom whose last lover, and slave, recently died. This story has BDSM front and center, but not in the sense of having a lot of scenes, or pain and bondage as a common event. Instead it's more about the concepts of BDSM, the way it can work and the way it can fail when sane, ...more
Kazza
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"I meant every word I said. Give to me your lace, and I'll give you my leather."

description

Steve reminded me, and my son, of Nina Flowers :)

This is my first book by A B Gayle and it will not be my last. It is well written, well edited, well researched, unique and interesting. The MC's are three dimensional, in spite of one POV - Don has the right amount of mystery for who he is and Steve's inner voice is essential for the reader to understand the primary storyline.

There are elements of BDSM, but it i
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of MM, abused/damaged characters, BDSM
This story might appear to be about BDSM but, really, the core of it is two damaged souls fighting their way back to where they want to be. The blurb explains things well - so I'll focus on how I felt.

It is rare to find a story where I can feel the emotions of the characters. Where they take on an almost life like characteristic that speaks to me, makes me think, and makes me ache for them. These two have so much in common yet, at times, are worlds apart. The build of the relationship is so car
Tina
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm

'Leather and Lace' is a very well written story. A.B. Gayle shows us in beautiful words why someone feels the need to serve, or why another one is driven to be a Master.

Steven is a drag queen, who returns to Australia after fleeing an abusive relationship with his former master Julius. He has lost himself and surpresses his desires to submit and to serve.

Don is a leather master who lost his slave Alex to Julius. He has his own fears and doubts. After the death of Alex and Julius he comes to Aus
Ije the Devourer of Books
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Really very very good.

This is such a beautiful story. It has some very different aspects: motorbikes, leather, drag queens, BDSM, grief and loss, and coming to terms with the past. All these elements are so very different but this book brings them together in one piece and then the story unfurls them like a beautiful tapestry.

I really, really enjoyed this.

There are so many books around at the moment both m/m and m/f which have aspects of BDSM portrayed in the story. Some times the books are spot
Nic
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a very pleasant surprise! Most definitely not the standard story that I was expecting. The story was a unique view of the world of master/slave and had a lot of things going for it.

Steve - I will admit that I am not overly fond of main characters in drag but Stevie had something special about him. I loved him from the get go! Such a mix of strength and vulnerability.

Don - Very shallow of me as I am judging on the physical description but his moustache sounded terrible! However his
Mercedes
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance, favorite, bdsm
Love is: pulling an all-nighter to re-read a book you read barely two months ago. Yes, I love it that much!

This is exactly the kind of book I love to read about: two damaged characters seemingly so wrong for each other but find a way to their HEA.

This is my first book by this author that I have read. I must agree with the writer that this book really was beta'ed to submission. I found the execution flawless. It is in short a well written book and an excellently told story.

This is not your run
Danny Tyran
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I who spend my time complaining that the M/M BDSM novels I read are always full of clichés, their characters are cardboard cut-outs and their stories are too linear, I cannot complain about any of these failings this time. In fact, the author chose a difficult theme and she presented it with virtuosity. She gives us a little gem, realistic and thought-provoking.

Link for my complete review: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/?p=19862
Jason Bradley
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 7 stars, I would.
Sunny
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author does a good job of showing what's happening in the story, letting us unwrap her gift instead of just telling us what it is. I really liked the MCs, and enjoyed watching their relationship develop. Their emotions were convincing and not over the top, but for some reason, I didn't connect with them as much as I wanted to. Definitely worth a read, though.
⚣Michaelle⚣
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, lgbt, m-m-romance
4.5 Stars

I originally added this to my TBR because the VAST majority of my GR friends who've read it have rated this 4 or 5 stars, and I couldn't believe I'd missed it somehow after all this time. That said, I can see why they rated it so high.

I loved how there was a frank and honest discussion about the difference between abuse and RACK/SSC BDSM. I loved how Steve realized his situation and was able to escape. I hated that he got an old school therapist that wasn't familiar with the lifestyle a
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧

Nope.....

Not for me....

Yes, I know everybody loved but me. Sorry.....

And, as much as I enjoyed 0.5 "Caught" I find, this one sadly was not for me.

There was some excellent wordage in this book.

But....I am still not compelled . 2 days in and a slight headache, and I'm done.

Why?

Hummmm....

1. I did not like the MCs.

2. The POV used, 1st person was killing me slowly. I can only tolerate it if I like the MCs head I'm in.

3. The execution of this book was not working for me.

The excution, was the bigge
Salsera1974
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.75 stars. When you consider the fact that this novel opens up with one of our main characters giving a series of blow jobs to a group of straight rugby players, and the scene ends with him giving a 30-minute blow job to the leather daddy/master who becomes his love interest (and receiving a money shot, no less), you might be surprised to learn that the novel was actually rather gentle, and in the best possible way, incredibly sweet.

Steve Stanhope is recovering from a BDSM-turned-master/slave r
Simon
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simon by: A.B. Gayle
I wish I'd put aside my prejudices and read this book before now. This is a great piece of writing, a great story.
I am not a fan of BDSM, I don't understand why people want to inflict pain and receive pain in order to fulfil their "kink". But this novel explains that psychology, and whilst I still would not choose S/M, I am now a little more understanding as to what it is that makes these people tick, thanks mainly to some great research and writing by this author. There is not much BDSM in the
Shelby
Oh my god I love A.B. Gayle!!! My intention last night when I started this book at like 3am was read a couple of chapters and then go to bed…yeah that’s not what happened. I think I finally went to bed a 7am after, of course, finishing the book. I don’t know what it is about her writing, but Ms. Gayle always pulls me in and won’t let me go.

Steven Stanhope ran away from his home in Australia to escape an abusive Master/slave relationship with his ex Julian. He’s spent the last four years in Engla
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
This review is not for sensitive people.Some lines of this review may hurt your feelings.But this is my honest review as this book deserves nothing less.
It was a very emotional read,the way the author wrote about not one but two broken souls simultaneously was truly awesome and heart wrenching.

When ever I hear BDSM and jump to read a book its mostly because of all the kink,dom/sub prospect among the couples etc almost all the interest sum up to hot steamy sex.
So mostly I look forward to the
Jess Candela
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I beta'ed this, and read it several times in the process, so it's past time I review it. It started out darn good and got better with every draft.

I'm not usually a fan of BDSM, but this is a very unusual BDSM book. Rather than furthering the mystique - or, worse, the sometimes dangerous misperceptions - of BDSM, this book shows the damage that can occur when BDSM is done wrong and how wonderfully fulfilling it can be when done right. Oh, not in any lectury sort of way, but rather through the per
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who like a good, in-depth, emotional story.
"'Give to me your lace, and I'll give you my leather.'"

Even better than the first book. A true depiction of abuse and tragedy and their after effects. There was such a range of emotion in this book from the deadly pain of the past to the slow healing of the present and future. Leather plus lace, no joke; compromising and bringing two things together if you want it to work.

This story was painful to my heart, and awful sometimes with the graphic memories of Steve's abuse, and how he never truly co
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm

Leather+Lace is a nice sequel to Red+Blue. Steven is a drag queen who performs as Stevie Tricks occasionally. He returns to Australia after fleeing an abusive relationship. It took a lot of therapy and support from his family to be himself again. Don also went through his share of issues, losing his slave to Stevie's ex, feeling unsure of himself. I liked that Don tried to undo the damage Julius caused, he didn't push Steve back into the BSDM lifestyle and encouraged Steven to go away
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Books are supposed to make you think, and this one very much did for me. I took several pages of notes. It's hard to distill these into a coherent review and I don't really want to right now, so I'm going to just list some of the thoughts that came to me while reading this. (Please excuse any typos or poor grammar. It's almost 5 AM and I'm very tired but I need to get this posted.)

I'll start out by saying that the story, the pacing, the plot, the characters, the situations, etc., plus the way BD
monika
an ...unique...excellent...extremely well-written, very realistic book! Brilliant!
Bea
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Edited*

I have a passion in reading books with BDSM and characters in pain, either physical or psychological. In both subjects, there are some stories that gloss over the past or glorify the sex and kink with over the top and unrealistic acts. But A.B. Gayle seemed to to just draw the story gracefully and naturally.

As an added bonus, I want to say that the cover was brilliant and perfectly represented the story and characters.

Basic Plot:

Steven comes back home to Australia after fleeing from a
Magen
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I flat out loved this book. Read this now if you haven't already done so. No joke. If I could give it more stars I would. The plot was refreshing and the writing was wonderful. Too bad it has such a deceiving, generic cover and title. It would never have caught my eye based on those or the summary. This book is SO MUCH MORE THAN WHAT MEETS THE EYE.

I don't often cry from a book but this one had me in tears multiple times for both MC's. Their sorrow and joy was palpable throughout the whole book
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★★
"Drowning in the sea of love, where everyone would love to drown".

This read was the highlight of my week.

Steven - 'Stevie Tricks' - had run, literally, away from Julius, his abusive, former Master, and finally returned to Australia after four years to find that Julius had been killed in a motorcycle accident with Master D's - Donato Rossi - slave that Julius had poached right out from under Don.

How do these two damaged souls find their way to each other and heal each other? Well, you'll ju
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Leather+Lace by A.B. Gayle 1 17 Mar 22, 2013 10:46AM

• Embracing Faith (Embrace #1)
  • Firm Hand (Perfect Hands, #1)
  • How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps
  • Power Play
  • One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1)
  • A Dance with Domination (Collars and Cuffs, #4)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Gentle Hand (Perfect Hands #2)
  • Another Way (Another Way #1)
  • Their Boy (The Game, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • My Kind of Man (HeavyLoad!, #1)
  • Loser Takes All (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #1)
  • It's Just Us (It's just us, #1)
  • Spare the Rod (The Heretic Doms Club, #3)
  • Fettered
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
Unlike many authors, I haven't been writing stories all my life. I've been too busy living life.
My travels took me from the fjords of Norway to the southern tip of New Zealand. In between, I've worked in so many different towns I've lost count. I've shoveled cow shit, mustered sheep, been polite to customers, traded insults with politicians and need to be forgiven on occasions when I get confused

Opposites Attract (2 books)
  • Red+Blue (Opposites Attract, #1)

News & Interviews