Start by marking “Murder at the Blue Plate Café (Blue Plate Café Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Blue Plate Café (Blue Plate Café Mystery #1)

Murder at the Blue Plate Café (Blue Plate Café Mystery #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When twin sisters Kate and Donna inherit their grandmother's restaurant, the Blue Plate Cafe in Wheeler, Texas, there's immediate conflict. Donna wants to sell and use her money to establish a B & B; Kate wants to keep the Cafe. Thirty-two-year-old Kate leaves a Dallas career as a paralegal and a married lover to move back to Wheeler and run the cafe, while Donna plans ...more
Published February 2013 by Turquoise Morning Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Blue Plate Café, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Blue Plate Café

Sandee
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ereader
A very good cozy mystery. Although this, the first book starts like many other cozy mysteries, the story telling is exceptional. The characters have depth and none of them can be called stereotypical. The mysteries are great with good clues. I am looking forward to reading more in this series.
Romancing the Book
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Julie
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

This mystery is the first in a possible series which is set in a small town in Texas not far from the Dallas – Ft. Worth metroplex.

Kate gets a call from her twin sister Donna explaining that her beloved grandmother has passed away. Gram’s had been in very good health even though she was in her seventies, so the death came as a big shock.

Gram owned and operated the Blue Plate Cafe’ and now Kate has decided, with
Lelia Taylor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Note: I read the digital copy of an old paperback edition that's out of print but it appears the ebook listed above, with the same 2013 copyright date, is unchanged with the possible exception of some minor editing.

Judy Alter has written a ton of books including mysteries in three series and, when she wrote this one in 2013, it was the first in the Blue Plate Cafe series. Now, there are three books and it's my own fault I lollygagged around for so long and have just now read this.

When Kate's gra
Mary Jo Doig
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great new-to-me series by Judy Alter. I already love her Kelly O'Connell series and am delighted to have completed the first Blue Plate mystery. When Kate and her twin, Donna, were orphaned by their parents' sudden death at age two, Gram stepped in to raise the girls. They're both grown now and, as with their personalities, have very different lives. Kate lives in urban Dallas while Donna married her high school boy friend, now has two children, and remained in small-town Wheeler, TX. When Do ...more
Krystyna
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant - loved it

An awesome read. Life in the big city had began to pall and news of her Grandmother's death brings her back to her roots. When the voice of her Grandmother tells her not only to run the family café but also to investigate her death, she does so. With plenty of suspects, including her twin sister, and motives galore, a tightly woven plot unravels. Great characters, with all the seven deadly sins, beautifully written, an absolutely terrific find from an author I have never befo
Gabi Eagon
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blue Plate Cafe

First time I have read this author. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wheeler is a small town in Texas. Kate and her twin Donna are as different as night and day. Kate moves back to run her grams diner after she dies. She keeps hearing her grams talking to her and telling her she needs her. Many things are going wrong and some good. She has many fires to put out and her sister is not helping.
molly benson
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spellbinding mystery

Although this book was an excellent read, the author needs to check her geography. Wheeler, TX is in the southeastern Panhandle of Texas, nowhere near Canton. I have spent 17 years in east Texas and the rest in the Texas Panhandle, so I’m very familiar with both. My sister is married to a man from Wheeler, and that’s one reason I wanted to read the book. I did enjoy it tremendously, so keep on writing!
Lisa Denn
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Author Judy Alter's book A Blue Plate Cafe Mystery is the first book in her Blue Plate Cafe Mysteries.

The story was good but the characters were one dimensional to me making it difficult to become involved in the story. It felt as though a blue print for the mystery taking place in the story was written first with the characters being added as after thoughts to validate the blue print.

Sharon M. Turner
Murder?

Kate is faced with the possibility that her beloved Gram was killed. As time goes by she has the horrible feeling her twin sister may have had something to do with it. Her sister has a vision that she will follow no matter what, even if it ruins her marriage or hurts her children. Then another murder shows up. What is going on?
Ellen White
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grandmother who ran a Cafe and raised the two girls, now dead, or was it murder. The one settled with a.home and family, the other in the city and bars. Quite a shock to her sister, to give that up and to run a Cafe. With that she gets more than she thought, with questions now of it being murder. Lots of suspects, and good reading.
Suzanne
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a cozy mystery, this story was a great who-dun-it. The writing was okay, not wonderful, but discovering how it all would turn out kept me reading. I'd like to read another story about the characters at the Blue Plate Cafe. It need not be a mystery but a lot was left up in the air.
Joyce Mosby
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read.

I received this book free from a newsletter. I liked this book. It had believable characters. It was a fun read for a holiday weekend. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Kathy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good cozy murder mystery! Kate (down to earth) and her twin sister (snob and drama queen) join forces to solve their grandmother's death. Well, Kate actually does the work while Donna gets in the way. This one will have you staying up all night reading!
Jan
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Excellent attention keeper. Quick read, finished it in one afternoon. Looking forward to readimg another book by Just Alter
Cynthia J. Contreras
Love this book! Great characters! Good storyline.
charmaine White
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This one fast with a murder and doesn't slow down.Hold on to your seat.The rides bumpy,but it's fun.I'll be reading the rest of this series.
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kindle
Mary Lynch-richardson
Thanks

I missed a nights sleep reading this book. plot is good, characters worthwhile, interesting villain. Dislike needing to fulfill word quota to review.
Marilyn
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this young woman who had great job in a large city in Texas and been raised in a small town by her grandmother.
Evonne Hutton
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good cozy! Two Twin sisters, an inheritance and murder!
Then throw in fraud and drug dealing
What ever next!!!
Well written with great characters
Diane Bailey
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Good whodunit with well drawn characters who are easy to visualize. Fun setting in a down home cafe in a not so sleepy little country town.
Katherine
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a light read, normally I’m not interested in “cosy mysteries,” but it was thoroughly enjoyable
Christy Kelly
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a first-time book and a supposed "cozy" murder but it was well worth the read.
Wendy
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I hope this does become a series. I liked the main character who leaves the big city to take over running her Gran's cafe in a small town. The supporting characters were interesting and the descriptions of place well done. That said, some things were a bit disconnected and needed editing but I would absolutely read the next one.
gerri
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book a lot really kept my interest I would surely recommend this the murder was not a Cory story very light reading

It would make a nice book to read in a book club fast reading I will look for more books to read from this Arthur
Mystereity Reviews
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book! the characters were well developed, and the story builds slowly around an intricate plot. I'm not sure if this is going to be a series or not, but I hope so. I look forward to visiting Wheeler again soon.
Glenda
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cozy mystery set in Wheeler Texas. Good series.
Vicky
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. Loved the characters. Well-written.
Michele
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun, entertaining characters and story.
Julie
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, cozy-mystery
This review will be posted on the Romancing the Book blog in the future. Check out their goodreads page and the blog!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Get Lost in a Story: Judy Alter Visits Get Lost in a Story 1 2 Jan 30, 2014 07:20AM
A novelist and author of books for both adults and young readers, Judy Alter is the author of seventitles in the Kelly O'Connell Mysteries, three in the Blue Plate Café Mysteries, and two Oak Grove Mysteries. Her mysteries are all set in Texas. She has also written frequently about women and girls of the American West, and many of those books are available as ebooks. Her Web page is http://www.jud ...more
More about Judy Alter

Blue Plate Café Mystery (4 books)
  • Murder at the Tremont House (Blue Plate Café Mystery #2)
  • Murder at Peacock Mansion (Blue Plate Café Mystery #3)
  • Murder at the Bus Depot (Blue Plate Cafe Mystery #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)