Start by marking “Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)

Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  374 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Kyrus Hinterdale has never dreamed. Neither has Brannis Solaran. What they once thought were dreams were really windows into another world. Linked by fate, and a mystical connection that they do not fully understand, each of them watches the events of the other’s life when they close their eyes to sleep. Kyrus’ world is ruled by reason and bustling trade, while Brannis liv ...more
Published February 7th 2013 by Magical Scrivener Press (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Firehurler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firehurler

Doc Kalb
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent novel with a unique plot. Very well written with accomplished character development and a cohesive story line that melded well from start to finish. It held my interest throughout and left me looking forward to future novels in the series.
Richard
Kyrus lives in peaceful world, trade and business are important, they have a sophisticated view of the world, they do not execute criminals, magic is viewed by most as something that doesn’t exist, education and intelligence are highly valued. Kyrus himself is a scribe, somewhat lacking in confidence and likes a peaceful life. Every night he dreams he is another man in a vastly different world, that man is Brannis.
Brannis lives in a war torn empire, with enemies on every border, strength and pow
M.L. Chesley
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to say that this book really caught me off guard in a good way. This is some serious, classic fantasy. This is sword and sorcery, high fantasy, epic, hard fantasy, you name it. Don't let the size of the book put you off, it is long, yes. However, this is a world that needs some time to be built in the reader's eye and with good reason and fabulous end results.

Kyrus is just an ordinary man making a living at something he's good at. He never suspects that his dreams might actually be real s
Lillith
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beloved-books
This story weaves together warlocks and knights with scriveners and pirates. Some settings are magical and some are mundane, and all of it works. Firehurler is just the right length with just the right cast of characters, and the writing is excellent. This is going in my beloved books list. I cannot wait to read more.
Amber
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow. This book.
Everything was fantastic.
I so completely believed that this book would most likely be terrible, but god was i proved wrong.
If you have the chance to read it, do so.
Nikki
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I loved the unique storyline of this novel. It was such a refreshing concept, unlike the similarities seen among many fantasy novels. The idea of the duel storyline, with corresponding characters in two different worlds was unique and fascinating. The novel doesn’t answer all the questions about exactly how these duel lives work, but I found that to be part of the charm.

“Firehurler” is not a short novel by any means, though it isn’t all that exceptional in length for fantasy novels in general.
C J
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book! A refreshing new concept that immersed me in the story. Well developed characters with flaws and virtues, it's easy to get caught up in the lives of not only the major characters but many of the lesser characters. Reading it again because I was in such a hurry to find out what happens I may have missed what might be important details for subsequent books. Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in this genre! Anxious for Book 2!
Jen
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of depth in this world and a host of fantastic characters! Sorcerers and goblins and knights...oh my!
John Willson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
Didn't finish it. I picked this up because I've enjoyed his later work - and it was free - but this book is from a less seasoned author. The early chapters are just not engaging. Two character tales proceed - and will doubtless merge later - without first giving us a reason to care about those characters, and in one case, without any conflict. I'll stick to his Black Ocean series and later works.
Hydra M. Star
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having dual story lines rich with characters and action taking place in two different worlds, neither of which is our own, this story takes its time setting up for the book’s main event, an epic battle between humans and goblins with a dragon and a demon thrown into the mix for good measure. However, if you aren’t afraid of a book with 600+ page count and like high fantasy, you can’t go wrong here.

With that considerable length in mind and all the characters and action, I won’t attempt to summari
Scot
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first installment in a three volume fantasy trilogy. Be forewarned: if you read it, you’ll become pulled into the evolving storylines enough that you’ll want to keep going into the later books to find out what happens, and that will be a time commitment of some length, as this volume alone runs to 542 pages. However, if you appreciate the measured literary construction of well flushed out fantasy worlds, with varying racial, cultural, and even sentient species groups, I do think you’ ...more
Alayna
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that as soon as you think you know what's going to happen...you don't. The worlds are rich and lifelike, and full of characters that you can't help caring about. I was glued to my tablet, reading every chance I got, because I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to develop next! If you like a good adventure with a plot so twisty it should qualify as a pretzel, this is definitely a book for you.
Frith
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I started reading the author's second trilogy a while ago, and wanted more background. I rather regret my decision -- the story's ok but the writing is poor, and the dialogue especially is *terrible*. Luckily, the author has improved by the time he gets to the steampunk series, so I think I'll go back to that eventually rather than trying to read the rest of this one.
Karen
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fantasy fan and for that one reason, I had a hard time BUT I will also say that I loved the plot, the characters and the language. Good one for those of us who aren't fans of fantasy!
Ashley Hackney
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Loved the story and development of characters but it was so slow it was hard for me to stay interested.
Servius  Heiner
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm enjoying the story if not the writing. If I had to sum up the book in a single concise sentence:

It's a book of, could have beens.

It could have been great.
The characters, could have been great.
The dialog, could have been great.

It simply isn't.

I'm only halfway through the first book. It has been a rocky start. I keep seeing reviews for how well it's written and I can only scratch my head. Despite its wooden, total lack of finesse, writing mechanics, the story itself is engaging and enjoya
Karen Handeland
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent writing - but.. I listened to it on audible and the performer of the book was.. ehm not to my liking shall we say? So 3 stars because of that, would have been 4-5 if I read it in the paper version, so maybe I'll read the second book in paper..
J.R.
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Right from the get go you realise that J.S. Morin draws from some classic fantasy influences to craft this epic tale. While there's no orphan farm boys in sight, we have an excellent cast of characters to work with.

Brannis Solaran has already been introduced to us by the prequel novella War-Bringer. He's a tough son of a gun who stems from a magical family without having any inherent magic of his own. He's your classic military tactician who has earned his stripes through numerous battles for th
Natalie
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, first-reads
Dave Ashton
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firehurler was just a book I picked up on an off chance - there's a bloke in armour casually summoning some magic in his hand, and it does has a snappy title. It's been some time since I've stumbled on an author whose text was like unto a siren's call to me, and even before I was finished with the book I was all over his twitter, blog, and checking out what other books he had out. I realise that the internet been around for a while, but it only recently occurred to me that I can seek out authors ...more
Rudy Dyck
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This indie fantasy was a great book (no spoilers ahead). I like reading fantasy although the books in this genre I have read lately have largely steered away from classic fantasy and are darker, grittier and minimize magic as well as different races. Not so with this book which is definitely set in a more traditional environment.

Before I go any further I need to stress that the core of this book is in the characters. The book focuses on four main characters and two in particular. There are other
Tim
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
"Firehurler" is the first book in a trilogy. I picked it up for my Kindle on a whim, and I wasn't disappointed. Brannis Solaran is a knight born of a family of sorcerers. He is not a typical knight as he has developed a real feel for tactics in battle. His best friend is Iridan, a sorcerer he met in the Academy and one he treats like a brother. Together, they have been sent to investigate an incursion into their kingdom by Goblins.

Kyrus Hinterdale is a scribe - a newly minted expert scrivener. H
Steven Guscott
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firehurler is a brilliant fantasy story with a simple and wonderfully creative plot device; essentially it gives the reader two stories in one, but is really one story (if that makes sense). Morin’s plot device consists of two worlds linked and running side by side which makes this story very interesting. It allows for some fun character interaction across the link and uniquely affects how the characters behave in each world. I really enjoyed the plot devices impact on the story and it is used w ...more
Preston DuBose
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firehurler is a well written book, both in terms of plot and writing technique. I subtracted a star only because the book would have benefitted from an editor forcing the author to trim the word count. There were times when the book's pacing suffered due to runaway setting descriptions. It read like valuable worldbuilding that really served no purpose in the final draft. We don't need a page of description about a particular shortcut home where the cutpurses like to prey, if in fact (spoiler ale ...more
Bob Clarkson
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars In Spite Of all the little errors. When a book sucks me in and I can't hear my wife ask me questions, it is a very good book indeed, IMO.

This is the continuation from War-Bringer.

I'm not going to give any Spoilers, so if this review sounds somewhat vague, it has done what I hoped.

How would you react if you had dreams that became more and more vivid, had the same theme night after night until you realized the main character in your dream was you in some sort of different.
Larry B Gray
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Firehurler, Book 1 of the Twinborn Trilogy, by J.S. Morin is a book that will light a fire in all true fantasy lovers’ heart. This book is hard to put down once you start reading it.

The storyline is well developed and easy to follow. It was full of fast paced action and adventure. I really enjoyed the various storylines and watching them begin to come together. The author rarely gave you chance to catch your breath before the action came at you again.

I really liked the way J.S. Morin developed h
Maria Mitchell
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received Firehurler by author J.S. Morin for free from Goodreads First Reads Giveaways to review.

First off I have to say that this is not a book to read when you're tired. I work overnights and do alot of my reading then and it took me a very long time to get through this book for that reason. It's a long sweeping epic fantasy and was really good but the print was small and the book was long. Hence the 3 star rating. However, I did still like this book quite a bit. Magic, evil, good, battles,
Bernard Campbell
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A solid 3 star read.
The story revolves around four characters who exist in two different worlds.
A knight who although coming from a family of strong sorcerers find himself without any magic. He is linked (via his dreams) to a simple scribe who lives in a world without open magic. And he Kryus, seems to inherit all of Brannis's magical ability.
A pirate king (from Kyrus's world) is linked to a powerful age from Brannis's - and soon the four are linked against each other in a war.
Simple writing
Aidan Stone
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book read as would R. A. Salvatore. However, the double plot line was the clincher that set it apart. I will not spoil the book, but there are several things happening at the same time, each of which added to my experience. The wording was perfect for the story, although, grammar Nazis might not agree. Every character was well developed, and the scenes were described in vivid detail. I read the prequel to this book "Warbringer" and simply had to continue. Witches, Warlocks, Knights, goblins ...more
Jen
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I finished the trilogy the other night, and both of us really enjoyed it. At my husband's recommendation, I picked it up to help fill the dark hours staying up with our new baby, and at first I thought, "Meh, generic fantasy. It's not terrible, so I'll keep going." Then things got interesting, I finished Firehurler and I still couldn't tell who the bad guys were, so I was glad we had the second book already.

It was a very good read that kept me on my toes; I ended up reading long a
  • Darkspire Reaches
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • The Prince of Ravens (The Exile Series, #1)
  • The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City #1)
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • Enoch's Device
  • Fargoer
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The High-Wizard’s Hunt
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Through the Wildwood (The Legend of Vanx Malic, #1)
  • Farro (Farro and Sulfur, #1)
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kindgom, #2)
  • The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree (The Outlaw King, #1)
  • Frozen Prospects (The Guadel Chronicles, #1)
I am a creator of worlds and a destroyer of words. As a fantasy writer, my works range from traditional epics to futuristic fantasy with starships. I have worked as an unpaid Little League pitcher, a cashier, a student library aide, a factory grunt, a cubicle drone, and an engineer--there is some overlap in the last two.

Through it all, though, I was always a storyteller. Eventually I started writi
More about J.S. Morin...

Twinborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Sourcethief (Twinborn Trilogy, #3)