Start by marking “You Are Mine (Mine, #1)” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

You Are Mine

(Mine #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  3,656 Ratings  ·  605 Reviews
Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownershi
Published May 6th 2013 by Janeal Falor (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Mine, please sign up.
Kimisha Omg that is a GREAT question!!! SO much is going on that I'm even wondering about that one. The only one around her at that point that they mentioned…moreOmg that is a GREAT question!!! SO much is going on that I'm even wondering about that one. The only one around her at that point that they mentioned was Nathanial the Great Councilman's son, crouched over his dead intended. He was looking at her so maybe he saved her unknown to everyone around.(less)

Candace
This was the first book I've read by this author and I liked it. Ms. Falor has created an intriguing, albeit misogynistic, world of magic, where the warlocks rule with an iron fist and the women are simply possessions to be traded in order to serve the interests of the men. This was certainly different than most of the books I read and it was a nice change of pace.

In Chardonia, girls are tested at age seventeen to determine the strength of the magic in their blood. While they aren't allowed to h
Anne
This review and other cool stuff can be found at Addicted2Heroines

You know how you go into a book expecting one thing, and then end up with something else entirely? That's what happened to me when I read You Are Mine.
Here's what happened:
I was low on reading material. Really low. I was searching through NetGalley for something (anything) to read, and nothing was looking very good. I'll admit I was getting desperate, and requested a few things that I normally would have given a pass.
Including thi
Mei
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
OMG!!! OMG!!!
This one could have been classified as YA only because the h&H are young! Nothing else is YA here! The society here described is so anti-women that’s incredible! I couldn’t live there! It’s slavery, pure and simple and of the worst kind! The women there have absolutely no rights. They cannot almost even think! They cannot talk freely even between themselves! It’s really, really awful!

Serena is sold (yes, SOLD!!!) to a warlock by her father because her blood is rich with magic an
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie again, Dec. 28, 2016.

Kindle freebie time again! I was going to say "Kindle freebie romance," but that would be selling this YA fantasy short. It's less about the romance and more a fantasy adventure with some fairly serious things to say about the secondary role of women in some societies. The title, "You Are Mine," is more ominous than romantic here: women are actually owned by their father and husbands.

In Serena's country, women carry magic in their blood, but only men can exerc
Ari Reavis
I liked this book so much, but was so frustrated by it at the same time. I liked when Serena tried to be stronger and make changes, but then she would take 10 steps back into the victim role and I just wanted to smack her. The majority of the men in this book made me want to throw up. The 'romance', if you can call it that, was on a very, very small scale. She was engaged to one of the few good men, but was too busy worrying about when he'd finally hit her to actually feel anything for him until ...more
Olivia (Bookcomet)
This was definitely not what I expected. In a good way. The warlock/witch thing is not a topic I have read much about and after reading this I think I am pretty much persuaded to start reading more magic books. It was AWESOME.

I am so glad I was give the opportunity to read this. I have had an experience with a book with witches before that I wasn't too keen on and then of course there is the famous and yet amazing Harry Potter series. I was wondering which side of the scales the book would appea
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Η Σερένα είναι ένα κορίτσι το οποίο προέρχεται από μια οικογένεια 12 αδελφάδων (ναι όλα κορίτσια) και είναι πια σε ηλικία γάμου. Πριν όμως ο πατέρας τής, της βρει σύζυγο θα πρέπει να περάσει από ένα τεστ ώστε να δούν πόση δυνατή μαγεία έχει μέσα της. Όσο πιο πολύ τόσο το καλύτερο για τον αγοραστή. Διότι η Σερένα και κάθε κοπέλα σε αυτό τον τόπο μετά τα 17α γενέθλεια τίθεται προς πώληση. Μόνη προϋπόθεση του αγοραστή; Να τα σκάσει χοντρά.

Το Τεστ γίνεται. Τα αποτελέσματα βγαίνουν. Ο αγοραστής βρίσκ
(Source: I won a copy of this book. Thanks to author Janeal Falor.)
17-year-old Serena has long put up with her father’s beatings and rules, no matter how unfair, but now she’s being sold off to the highest bidder, and she can’t help but worry that things are about to get worse.

Serena lives in a world in which men have magic and are called Warlocks, whilst women are a commodity to be traded. Serena is the oldest of 14 girls, a fact that her father is not happy about – there is much more prestige
Terrie
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes unique magical fantasy with plenty of romance.

Serena lives in a society where women are possessions whose purpose is to serve and satisfy. The amount of magic in a woman’s blood determines her worth as a mate. In a world of sacrifices, female oppression and male dominance, Serena’s refusal to be totally submissive jeopardizes not only her own future, but that of her 14 sisters as well.

Janeal Falor is a gifted writer. I was sucked in from the firs
Kayla (kaylareads)
Holly
Overall ok read but at times I found it really frustrating. The book opens with a scene that makes it seem like it's going to be really edgy and dark but it quickly devolves into fluff. I think by maybe 25% I knew what the gist of the book was but the author spent pages upon pages dragging out the drama and stating the obvious. The over usage of the word "wench" by male warlocks lead me to many eye rolls. And a complete lack of communication between two characters shouldn't be used as a way of u ...more
Morgan E
I received this from Netgalley for my honest review. Pulisher: Chardonian Press

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

This was a major disappointment for me. I had really high hopes for this one and it let me down hard.

The world created by the author, I absolutely hated! I hated the warlocks and the way they treated women (like silent baby machines) and I really didn't like any of the characters. The MC was annoying to me most the time and constantly whining.

I thought that the romance would make up for all the
Jessica
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
First off, a big thank you to Janeal for sending me a copy for review! This was such a unique, interesting take on warlock society and I loved reading about it.

In Serena's world, women live under a veil of oppression with no rights. They are seen as mere property due to the magic that runs in their blood. Their father decides their fate, hoping to sell them to the most prestigious warlock who can provide them with the most advantage.

It is heartbreaking to watch how Serena and her sisters are tr
OpenBookSociety.com
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Valerie

There are always some books that you know aren’t that intellectual or enlightening that you still end up reading anyways. (I think that’s with all the books I read.) That’s the case with You Are Mine. It’s not a book that will cause me to save the Earth or start being insanely efficient, but it does make me enjoy the ability to read. No joke or cheesiness intended!

The world building could use a little more buildup. The
Katie(babs)
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting fantasy young adult set in a world where woman are treated like property from the male population. This has a Anne Bishop feel to it and I was enthralled from the first page until the very end. I had moments of anger and disbelief at how women are considered to be subpar, and only good for breeding males in order for them to be powerful warlocks.

Serena is a heroine you can admire. She is strong and full of pep, so much so that it puts her in situations that will cause her pain,
Danielle Annett
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You Are Mine was EPIC! I was sucked into this book from the start and had a difficult time putting it down. There were nights when I found myself up at 4am reading because I just couldn't set the book aside. This is by far one of my favorite YA books I have EVER read. The story was new and creative. I never knew what was going to happen next and not once did I think, "This book reminds me of.."
I am so so thrilled that I was given the opportunity to read and review this book. I highly recommend Y
Coco.V
Dec 15, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/15/2017)! 💝
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
3.5

The synopsis for this one totally drew me in. I’m a sucker for marriage of convenience stories and high fantasy, so this was a nice mix of both. I got sucked into the story right away and had a hard time putting it down. It’s a little slow moving, knew going in that it was the first in a trilogy so that didn’t bother me too much. The subject matter was pretty heavy though.

The world building was unique. The country of Chaldonia has some very backward ideas about women. They are treated poorly
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Fantasy is kind of my thing.  Throw in some magic and a new, uncertain world, and you have a captive audience in me.  So, I was pretty excited when the author offered me a copy for review.  Imagine my delight when I discovered that this is not only a great new start to a fantasy series, but also one that delves into women's rights and to an extent, women's suffrage.

In Serena's world, only warlocks wield power, magical or otherwise, and young women are essentially purchased from their fathers...a
Kaitlin
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of . . . a fairy tale. It began by painting a harsh and horrible landscape of a society where women were treated as possessions—good only for producing warlock son. It was set up in a way to invoke sympathy for Serena, the poor girl who was sold to a proud and domineering man and had grown up being punished by her father for every wrong move she made. The only life she had known was one where women were "owned," but she didn’t want to just accept that future.

Then there was
Vittoria
I have to warn you, if your a feminist you're probably going to flip your shit reading the first fifth of the book. But, it's meant to be intentional so don't be all like

to author, because she knows it. Except not to that extreme.
Yes, yes, I know. The title is You are Mine.
Ignore that.

Okay that was my first assumption of the book, then I read the rest of it.

KMHURIDASJNKMWEIOJFLKDSAMWEIOFJSADKL,EHEMEHEHHEHEEHGE

OH GOD

WTF

WHAT HAPPENED

The one thing I hate about ya authors, the one thing, is if they
Iris Bratton
Apr 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reads, ya
Well, that was UNEVENTFUL.

The premise really interested me when I first happened upon this book. However, it is classified as YA, and I've personally been straying away from this genre. But, it was free so I thought Why not?

Well, I'll tell you why not. Nothing actually happens. This is a 300 page book of pure nothing. The book claims to speak of dark cruelty and political drama, but all you get are fancy gowns and hints of romance. This book alludes to suspenseful events that are to unfold, but
Jenn

You Are Mine is like nothing that I've really read before. It is different, daring, a bit hard to stomach at times, but definitely worth a read if you enjoy magic based stories. 4 Stars!

Summary
Serena lives in a country were wizards not only rule, but women are considered their property. Women are to serve and bare children (preferably boys). If they fail to honor the men, they are punished or worse made to become a tarnished. Under the control of her evil father, Serena is offered for marriage t
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:
Serena lives in a world filled with magic and where women are considered to be nothing more than the possessions of their warlock masters.

This was a well written book, but the entertainment was lacking for me. The magic system wasn't explained in any sort of detail. All I know is that the men are powerful warlocks who seem to feed off the magic the women possess; however, the women never perform any magic themselves. I have a few speculations abo
Jackie
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-challenge
I'd like to thank the author for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Firstly, I read the whole book in a day and I absolutely LOVED it.
Serena is a seventeen-year-old girl who lives in a land called Chardonia. In this world, the land is ruled by Warlocks—men with magic in their blood. Women are seen as inferior to them and are little better than "tarnished"—undesirable women who did not please the men and nonmagical men who are treated as slaves.
The book starts out on S
Jana Brown
This is one of those books where my opinions are divided among themselves. The plot and setting feature some distinct cliches which ranged from interesting to eye rolling. I usually knew what was coming next several pages before it happened. However, I really enjoyed the characters and, in particular, the family relationship between the sisters and how that expanded to include the tarnished and the other women in the narrative.

The biggest thing that doesn't make sense to me is given how valuable
Andi
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. This was an unexpectedly engaging story of a young woman in a world where men are powerful warlocks and women are sold to the highest bidders when they reach marrying age. A woman's value is determined by her own magic--which women cannot use themselves--but which strengthens her husband's power.

Serena is sold by her father to a pretty despicable man, but her world is soon turned upside down when her new owner is killed in a competition, thus transferring ownership rights to a new "ba
Callie Chinen
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really want to write an amazing review, but I am not eloquent with words. I don't know how to put into words the range of emotion I felt while reading this book. As a woman I was furious. I am sure there are countries that probably do treat their women as is written in this book. Having dealt with abuse as an outsider looking in, I could connect with Serena in a different way. I know what it's like to want to protect. I could feel with her as all she longed for was to be a person, to be hersel ...more
L.R.W. Lee
This book proved to be a disappointment. The protagonist suffers at the hands of her father of all people. He's a monster, punishing her for the slightest infraction of society's code of conduct. This portion of the book lasts probably the first third. The girl then moves in with someone from another country who she is about to be married to and she's constantly second guessing the good intentions of the man. All along her self-talk is whiny and not in touch with reality.

But it was the end that
Abbie
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.)

This was an interesting read that i enjoyed.

I liked Serena, and felt really sorry for her. Being passed around different men like she's a game of pass the parcel would be horrible.

I found the whole ownership of women thing to be sickening. It would be horrendous to know that at any time, someone could claim you and you'd have no say in the matter, and it would be awful to be seen as nothing more than a possession.

There was
  • The Fire King
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Jaded Stone (Souls of the Stones, #0.9)
  • Echo
  • Refine (House of Oak, #4)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • Broken Aro (The Broken Ones, #1)
  • North Pole Reform School
  • Date with the Dead (Ripsters, #1)
  • Fallen Embers (Alterra Histories #2)
  • Kaleidoscope (Faylinn, #1)
  • Amulet of Power (The Lost Amulet Chronicles, #2)
  • The Exemeus (The Exemeus, #1)
  • Witch Born (Witch Song, #2)
  • Betrothal (Queen's Honor, #1)
  • Carol of the Tales and Other Nightly Noels: An Advent Anthology (Advent Anthologies, Volume 2)
Janeal Falor lives in Utah with her husband and three children. In her non-writing time she teaches her kids to make silly faces, cooks whatever strikes her fancy, and attempts to cultivate a garden even when half the things she plants die. When it's time for a break she can be found taking a scenic drive with her family or drinking hot chocolate.

Mine (4 books)
  • Mine to Spell (Mine, #2)
  • Mine to Fear (Mine, #3)
  • Sacrifice of Mine (Mine, #4)
“not have noticed my fidgeting. His ignorance of it will make it easier to appease mother during her lecture. But it's hard” 0 likes
“Keeping my strides steady, I fight the overwhelming desire to run. My request to Father this morning not to get tested was” 0 likes