Start by marking “Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  465 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A much-needed antidote to our modern, assembly-line approach to childbirth, this new book is designed as a guide for all who wish to participate in the wondrous process of bringing new life into the world. Its ideas derive from two sources: the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda, with its emphasis on body, mind, and spirit, and the latest Western scientific prenatal research. By i ...more
Published March 22nd 2005 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives

Nadya
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pregnant women, women thinking about pregnancy
Shelves: home-shelf, 2013
Thus far in my life, I have done my very best to raise a child that will be part of the ripples towards a better world. I aim to raise conscious and aware little beings, who will do better than what society dictates. And towards that end, this book has been priceless. As have several others, but for now, lets focus on this one. Here is a quote to summarise what I gained and why I loved this book so much"

"But we must not forget that even the worst terrorist, tyrant, or polluter was once a child..
Elizabeth
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cheesy title aside, this book offers clear, followable, and motivating advice for families. While the target audience is expecting parents, the concepts really apply to anyone who works with children and their parents. Understanding the origins of one's life can really offer a glimpse into who they are emotionally. When we enter the world with nurturing, healthy, and emotionally present parents, we have such a better chance of long-term happiness. This is not the case for everyone; therefore ...more
Ashton
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving all this spiritual content for this little one. This books covers a broad array of topics including pregnant mom, baby, relationships, communication, partner direction in labor, labor stages, remedies, diet and nutrition, birth, after birth, breastfeeding, and enhancing the new spiritual journey you and your sweet baby are about to embark on. The exercises in the book was a nice touch and I'm sure I will head back to them in the next few weeks as I draw closer to delivery. Very calmin ...more
Kristin
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
First of all, no, I'm not pregnant. That was probably the hardest/most awkward part about reading this book, carrying it around and having people assume that I was pregnant. That being said, I really enjoyed this book. It's 80% common sense for healthy living, and about 20% baby stuff. For example, you should eat a balanced diet. It's good for the baby. Gotcha. The book is more interesting than that, but you get the idea. It goes into more depth about diet, the importance of exercise and specifi ...more
Jenne
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
In my philosophy as a doula, I embrace holistic and traditional ways of viewing and treating the childbearing period. This book does so beautifully and weaves Ayurveda and Yoga into mindful pregnancy and early parenting practices. The sections on managing emotions in pregnancy, communication and guidance for partners provides a holistic way to address feelings of stress in a calm manner without becoming avoidant and overly concerned. Referring to emotions as "turbulence" is a beautiful metaphor. ...more
Alison
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for expecting moms, especially who want a more holistic mind/body approach to their pregnancy experience - a very nurturing read. This is a beautiful guide to connecting in full awareness with the unborn baby - from conception all the way through the postpartum phase, and covers the importance of mama nurturing herself and finding balance day to day. There are great meditation, breathing, and journaling exercises to follow along with numerous suggestions for self care along the journe ...more
Kyla
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was required to read this as part of a birthing class. If I hadn't read so much about childbirth already, I probably would've gotten more out of this book. However, I ended up skimming through most of the book as the information was covered elsewhere, particularly by Ina May Gaskin. The only difference is that the book focused more on how everything worked within the framework of Ayurveda, giving it a distinctly more Indian influence.
Amber
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I love it so so much. I have dog eared SO many pages and will be re-reading it as our birth gets closer. I am even having Will read it. It goes over every avenue of pregnancy, childbirth and aftercare in a wholistic and wonderful way. It offers all kinds of homeopathic remedies for aftercare that I wish I would have known about after I had Solomon. I would recommend this to any pregnant woman...its awesome!!!
Erin
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and I love Deepak Chopra's advice. He shows many ways to connect with your baby before he is born and gives lots of food for thought. This book is interactive- he has you do little exercises to move you forward. I recommend this book to anyone pregnant who wants to learn something more substantial and grounded about pregnancy than just info. in "what to expect" type books.
Katie
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I would like this book more if it were one of the first books I read about spirituality and pregnancy. I'm getting through it very slowly because it only contains very basic information and nothing is groundbreaking to me. Still, I like it because it all aligns with how I am approaching my pregnancy. With only 15 weeks left in my pregnancy, there will be other books I finish before I finish this one!
Marisa Renteria
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very very good book for those interested in getting pregnant or already pregnant. Thanks to this book I spent countless nights in the tub with essential oils soaking and relaxing. I also labored in the shower and the pool of the birthing center, which resulted in a easy tear free birth! Awesome book!
Kate Lumsden
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a mom or pregnant. Now that that's out of the way, I think this is a fantastic accessible resource for soon-to-be mothers. It integrates meditation, theory, diet, lifestyle, oil massage and sound advice. I don't hesitate to recommend this to any woman (or supportive man) looking to make a baby.
Cori
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book includes some great exercises for a holistic healthy pregnancy. I think it is good for both mother & father to read. I like that each chapter is concluded with an overview of exercises each building upon the last. It would be even better if there was a cd of the guided meditations to go along with this.
Jenna Walthour
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
There are a million other holistic books on pregnancy and childbirth I'd recommend over this one. Perhaps this is valuable for diehard Chopra fans, but as a Doula I'll never hand this book to a client.
Priya
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the writing in this book to be a little redundant at times, making similar points over and over. I did, however, appreciate the concrete breathing exercises, partner exercises, and yoga poses it offered as practical tools to practice in advance of childbirth.
Angel
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!!! I highly recommend it to every expectant mother. Exactly the positive energy I needed in the midst of all the negative advice people seem to expel from their mouths without thinking. ;)
Kristen
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good book! Not overly hippie & full of good information. It doesn't make you feel guilty about taking a more medical or a more holistic approach or make you choose - very nice balance & nonjudgmental tone. Lots of good relaxation techniques.
Jessi Payne
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Such a beautiful depiction of spiritually connecting with your baby. Amplifies the importance of the father bond too. Inspiring exercises and internally empowering.

Jessi
Author
Iris
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preggo-baby
I think this might have been my favorite pregnancy book...it helped me to focus on the real important things and to relax about a lot too!
Heather
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, health
the best pregnancy book I've read yet!
eva
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good resource for pregnancy and birth. Helpful sections on herbs, yoga, meditation, and action you can take to put intention into pregnancy.
Faith
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book and LOVED it!!
Helena
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best pregnancy/childbirth book I have read; I highly recommend.
Erica
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gee, wonder why I'm reading this. Hmmm.
Courtney
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got halfway through...I enjoyed some aspects and was skeptical of others. I'd like to finish it someday.
Maggie Summers
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it while I was expecting Bradley. It has a more natural view pregnancy.
Sara
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loving it so far!
Denise
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Gave me such peace and confidence about natural childbirth. Didn't get to apply the principles last time but hopefully I will if/when there's a next time! Highly recommend!
Krista
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Deepak brings everything back into awareness and living in the moment. The meditations unite me back to God and get me in tune with my baby.
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth (Sears Parenting Library)
  • Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
  • Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful: Experience the Natural Power of Pregnancy and Birth with Kundalini Yoga and Meditation
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
  • The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence
  • Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
  • Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother
  • Spiritual Midwifery
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • Birthing from within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • The Birth Partner
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...