Start by marking “Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

Doctor Sleep

(The Shining #2)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  134,964 ratings  ·  14,802 reviews
Grca badge winner
Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot
Published September 24th 2013 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sleep, please sign up.
Danielle Yes, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading The Shining first because it is just so good.
Xepherus3 Please do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And…morePlease do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And after reading the book, I was disappointed with the film. Dick Hallorann is alive and well at the end of the Shining novel, and is a great part of Doctor Sleep. Kubrick's film is great on it's own, but the book crushes that screenplay into dust.(less)

Greg
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclosure: I used to work at Stephen King's publisher and read Doctor Sleep in December 2012.)

Get ready. If I can make just one recommendation: whether you're a longtime King fan or fairly new to his stuff, it wouldn't be the worst thing to read The Shining before you get your hands on Doctor Sleep. Seasoned fans know that the movie, while engrossing in its own right, is very different in many ways, and doesn't even begin to plumb the psychological depths that the book does. You could read an
Will Byrnes
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a boy (now a man) a girl, a band of baddies with a charismatic leader, a coalition of the willing, battles to be fought, supernatural elements and magical powers. Stephen King was at this long before Harry Potter lived under the stairs. He has a preternatural (not to say supernatural) talent for writing kids, and can keep you turning pages, losing sleep, and getting back late to work from your lunch breaks.

We will presume for the purposes of this review that you have read, or at least s
Tiya Rosa
A sequel, huh? I didn't feel much for Danny when I was going through The Shining since Jack Torrance pretty much had me by the balls, but I guess - this being a Stephen King book - I can give it a try.

Oh, who am I kidding?

description
Kemper
Remember that psychic little kid in The Shining? Have you ever wondered what he’d be like as an adult after surviving a haunted hotel that drove his drunken father crazy and gave him a case of the redrums? If so, you’re in luck because Stephen King has now told us what happened to Danny Torrance, and he’s just as screwed up from his experience as you’d expect him to be.

Like his father, Dan has grown up to be a bad tempered drunk, and he uses the booze to blot out his psychic powers as he drifts
Dave
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dan: Hi, I was a total scumbag, meaning I once swiped a few bucks, a horrible horrible thing for which I'll never forgive myself, and, oh yeah, almost forgot, I used to get in bar fights all the time and I for all I know, I killed people during a blackout. Anyhoo, nowadays I'm heroic. Seriously, I'm pretty much a saint. I have magic powers and it never even crosses my mind to profit from them.

Abra: Hi, I'm a totally normal teen, you can tell because of all my pop references! Game of Thrones! Fru
Dan Schwent
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Delee
I hesitated to read DOCTOR SLEEP for about a minute. I was worried that it wouldn't live up to The Shining, and everything would be ruined. RUINED!

photo 29b07314-4401-4a70-bc94-0c1a75fe7104_zps6c5aafda.jpg

Luckily that was not the case at all. I should have had more faith in Stephen King's love and respect for these characters. I am sorry for ever doubting you Stephen.

photo d5d105f4-017f-42ee-9eb7-5cc0830df130_zpsac9826ba.jpg

A tribe of people called The True Knot travel around the United States- by RV- in search of children with "The Shining". These children have what The True Knot feeds off, something they c
D. Hilliard
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a big fan of Stephen King, especially his early work, I waited with nervous anticipation for Dr. Sleep. I reread The Shining for the first time in years, just to reacquaint myself with the world of Danny Torrance and the Overlook Hotel. It was on my kindle within minutes of it being released, and I spent the past two afternoons ignoring housework in favor of diving into one of Kings rare sequels.

So how does it measure up?

The correct answer to that is “it depends.”

If you are looking for a d
Blythe
That cover is the epitome of perfection.

So perfect that is should be on my shelves.

Like, right now.

I'm waiting.

*stares at bookshelves*

EDIT: I'M GETTING AN ARC OF THIS MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY MADE
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Once upon a time, there was a girl. She liked to read, but was at a crossroads between being too old for childish books, and a bit too young for cheesy romance novels with Fabio on the cover. The girl loved scary movies and all things horror and wondered if maybe there were things written like that. She asked the librarian, who handed her a book. The girl ran home and closed herself up in her room. She sat down and started to read a book called Carrie, by an author named Stephen King. She devour ...more
Anne
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
Actual rating: 4.75 🌟

This was a great book that was much more than a simple sequel. It's a book with its own story and doesn't just depend on the fame of The Shining. Of course there are references, and reading the first book before this one will help you understand the content much better, but it's clear that this book wasn't just written for the sole purpose of making more money and drawing out a story to an unnecessary length (like I have seen done before)- I would love to read more sequels
Lyn
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Stephen King book.

I went to see a concert last year featuring Joan Jett, Cheap Trick and Heart. Promoters called it the Hall of Fame tour because all three bands were in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a great show, we had a blast. I got the impression that any of these talented professionals could put on a great show in their sleep. They’ve been doing it so long that they knew their craft as well as how to win over a crowd.

Stephen King is also a wily old master craftsman who
Anish Kohli
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm… Lemme ask you this...

Have you read SK? Have you, really? Have you lost yourself in his thoughts and characters and their problems? Have you FELT his stories take over you? If you have, as I have, then you know this review will say nothing you don’t already know.

If you haven’t….. Wait, what? How can you not read SK? Do you not know what you are missing out on?
Yeah, you probably don’t. OK, well then, listen up close as I explain with an analogy.

Think of a joke that you have heard many times
Becky
OMG THIS IS MY 2013 BIRTHDAY PRESENT! :D I LOVE YOU, STEPHEN KING!

-------

After Goodreads decided to unveil their new censorship policy regarding author behavior reviews and shelves (sorry, let me be accurate: NEGATIVE author behavior reviews and shelves...), I decided that I wasn't going to review on Goodreads anymore. I created a Booklikes account (Meh...) and already have a blog, and I decided that I would review there instead of on Goodreads.

But then this past week happened. Stephen King rel
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME!

I love this is a sequel to The Shining and in the beginning of the book it goes into some things from when Danny was young.

Even though Danny, his mom and Dick Halloram survived from the tragic and (scary-as-hell) events that happened at the Overlook Hotel, some of the ghosties come back to haunt Danny.

As an adult Dan is traveling around, he's an alcoholic, and he finally lands in a nice little town. He's also trying to get sob
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Have you ever caught yourself, maybe while reading a Stephen King book or maybe just at some random moment, wondering whatever happened to little Danny Torrance?

Lucky for all of us Stephen King did too. Doctor Sleep picks up where The Shining left off. It briefly covers the aftermath of the experiences at the Overlook Hotel before fast-forwarding in increments of presidential terms through Dan’s life.

If you have been a reade
Barbara

In this the sequel to 'The Shining', Danny Torrance - who had psychic visions as a child -is a very troubled adult.

*****

As the story opens Dan Torrance (Danny Torrance from "The Shining") has grown up to be a violent, itinerant alcoholic who suffers from blackouts. His difficulties connect back to the time young Danny's father was the caretaker of the 'Overlook Hotel' in Colorado. There Danny's psychic gift (called 'the shining') led to his meeting a gaggle of supernatural psychopaths and severa
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)
This is the story of what happened to this little boy:

Danny Torrance is all grown up and an alcoholic just like his dad. Dan finally decides to join Alcoholics Anonymous and is in recovery, working at a hospice when he telepathically meets a girl named Abra Stone.

She's got the Shining too and is incredibly powerful. We find out an evil group of people called the True Knot are after her. They want to drink her up, devour her "steam." They roam around the country in RVs and mobile homes searching
Madeline
Although technically a sequel to The Shining (published in 1977 and probably Stephen King's scariest and best book - step to me, It fans), this book should not be approached as such, because in reality the two novels have very little in common besides the central characters. This isn't a bad thing - I just want to warn anyone going into this book to get rid of the "straightforward sequel" mindset. Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining the way American Gods is a sequel to Anansi Boys. (that's n ...more
megs_bookrack
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it even more the second time through. Firmly believe this is the best duology ever written. I doff my hat to Sai King- he is a master. Full review to come...stay tuned!
Fortneyroad.com
Aug 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arah-Lynda
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
There is just something about Stephen King’s writing that is like the feeling I get after having been out there, working in the real world, after a hard day, fighting deadlines and traffic, often snow, lots of that, then finally coming home. I get all toasty, feet warm, comfortable, with his voice in my head.

I soon settled in and listened as he told me the story of Doctor Sleep.

Having read The Shining for the first time just last year, it was still fresh in my mind, so where King took Danny Tor
Although I have to admit to enjoying The Shining more than this sequel, it was pretty amazing to have a follow up on Danny, and one which shows his transition to helper for another shining child in need. With quite a time gap between The Shining and Doctor Sleep, Danny is now a full-grown man and the family dynamics of the Torrance family still linger as the cycle of addiction sadly makes it way down the generational pipeline. But the creepy/thriller factor in Doctor Sleep is on a whole other le ...more
Trudi

OCTOBER COUNTRY 2013 - #2

Mr. King and I (or Uncle Stevie if I may) have a loooong history that stretches back decades now. His books have become the soundtrack to my life, the novels I reach for in times of stress and grief in search of comfort and solace. Some may find that weird, considering the man's reputation as America's Boogeyman, but it's never been weird to me.

No one can spin a yarn quite like this man to keep you reading well past dark and into the wee hours of the morning. No one is
Mark
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
Doctor Sleep is the sequel to The Shining, written almost forty years ago. In my opinion you MUST read The Shining before you read Doctor Sleep because there is so much in this book the correlates to the first - besides The Shining is an awesome book. If you want to cheat and watch the movie of The Shining, starring Jack Nicholson, before reading Doctor Sleep you will miss vital points. The movie really did not concentrate on a lot of the main ingredients of the book.

When I first saw Doctor Slee
Neal Shusterman
The Shining was my favorite Stephen King book when I was a teenager. I listened to the audio version of Doctor Sleep, and really enjoyed it, but somehow it didn’t live up to the Shining. Granted, our memory of books from our youths is an extremely hard act to follow. I would have given Doctor Sleep four stars, but I felt that the climax was too easy. Stephen King is a master storyteller, so I don’t cut him any slack when it comes to the conclusion!
Mario
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read, favorites, own
FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.

Was Doctor Sleep better than The Shining? No.
But it was still pretty damn close.

In The Shining Danny became one of the most interesting characters I’ve read about, so (at least in my opinion) if any character deserved a sequel, it would be him. But still, at the same time, I was afraid of not liking this book, and not liking the way King would continue Danny’s story. And now, that I’ve finished it, I can safely say that King couldn’t have done a better job
Dystopian
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Patricia
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm always filled with anticipation when Stephen King releases a new book. I saw him in person 2 years ago and he did a reading from Doctor Sleep and I've been impatiently waiting for it to be published ever since. Once it released, I totally immersed myself in it for 2 days, both reading the Kindle version and listening to the Audible version at the same time. I devoured it.

I can see such a change in King's works over the years. In 11/22/63 I think we saw a softer, gentler side of him. He was q
Perry
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the Fringe of a Drinking Binge

"Fear gripped him. He was on thin ice. Again it was the old insidious insanity--that first drink." The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

Stephen King has often acknowledged that The Shining, one of his first big blockbusters, came out of his rough and rock-bottom drinking days. Recall, if you will, The Shining's Mr. Torrance was working on a novel while hitting the bottle hard. King has been clean since shortly after finishing that novel. Admirably, he's helped ma
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Doctor Sleep" Buddy Read 12 18 Oct 29, 2018 09:25AM
Worth buying? (No spoilers please) 23 179 Sep 11, 2018 08:25AM
Stephen King Endings 16 204 Sep 10, 2018 12:56PM
The Loser's Club ...: Call Out -- Doctor Sleep April Read 1 9 Apr 03, 2018 02:34PM
Stephen King Fans: Doctor Sleep 17 127 Feb 02, 2018 11:21AM
Around the Year i...: Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King 6 55 Sep 01, 2017 11:07PM
50 books to read ...: Doctor Sleep 7 36 Feb 28, 2017 04:06AM
  • NOS4A2
  • Blaze
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Elementals
  • Dark Echo
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 22: A New Beginning
  • No One Gets Out Alive
  • Krampus: The Yule Lord
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • The Troop
  • Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
  • Draculas
  • Afraid
  • The Loveliest Dead

The Shining (2 books)
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)
“FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.” 891 likes
“There came a time when you realized that moving on was pointless. That you took yourself with you wherever you went.” 248 likes