Start by marking “100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)

Read Excerpt

100 Days in Deadland

(Deadland #1)

A Journey Through Dante's Inferno with a Shambling Twist...

The world ended on a Thursday.

In one day, the world succumbed to a pestilence that decimated the living. In its place rose a new species: vicious, gruesome, wandering monsters with an insatiable hunger for the living. There is no government, no shelter.

Still in her twenties, Cash has watched her friends die, only t
Published August 1st 2013 by Surprisingly Adequate Publishing (first published July 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Days in Deadland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Days in Deadland

Mel Anie (finals - 2months)
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was better than I thought. Surprisingly good.

Mini review

I'm not a huge fan of horror books. I usually prefer to read something easier and more peaceful, so this book was something different.

100 Days in Deadland is a retelling of Dante's Inferno with zombies. The book is full of unexpected turns and twists. At the beginning, I was slightly afraid of reading this horror story, but soon after starting, I found it really easy to read and to follow what is happening.

The book tells the sto
Suspense Magazine
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
We have all heard the phrase, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” I would like to amend that to “Don’t judge a book by its genre.” When I was asked to read “100 Days in Deadland” and heard it was a zombie novel, I had my doubts, which were quickly squelched. The author has characterized her work as paralleling Dante’s “Inferno” with zombies. All I could think of was George Orwell’s “Animal Farm.” The analysis may not be spot on, but any book that reminds you of a literary masterpiece yet has its ...more
Steelwhisper
5 shiny stars.

Ooookay. I recently told someone that I don't much like zombie books. That's absolutely true, then and now. The zombies in this book did nothing for me. They could have been invading aliens instead, and the book would have worked just as well for me still.

So, zombies aside, what I enjoyed was the storytelling: it was fresh, compelling, linear with few, but choice detours, completely and entirely unaffected (I've started loathing authors affecting the litfic feely-touchy thingie lat
Patrick D'Orazio
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
100 Days in Deadland introduces the reader to a young woman living in Des Moines, Iowa who is thrust into the start of the zombie apocalypse within the very first paragraph. The story starts out with a bang, with Cash (a nickname she is given early on in the story) getting attacked by a woman who has gotten infected in her office. She narrowly escapes the assault and flees with another co-worker as everyone around them goes mad-either with infection or panic. While the duo race from the office t ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
If you are a zombie-Walking-Dead freak then this book is definitely for you.

Maybe the zombie concept isn't enough to reel you in. Let me enlighten you some more. This gem has the whole package.

There are actions! Tons and tons of actions.

Even the gore descriptions are well-written. I cringed reading it and I'm not easily spooked by the image of blood and brain bits - BUT this one got me. This one really did its job.

There is tension. I'll guarantee you'll be biting down on your nails throughout t
Carolyn F.
Really enjoyable book - well as enjoyable as a zombie book can be. I usually don't like it when a book is full of inner dialogue but I felt this book was in need of a little of that. And I wish the military wouldn't have been so naive, especially when they'd been hearing about the militia doing stuff they shouldn't for a while. I don't think the military would have let things stand for as long as they had. Those are my only complaint. Cliffhanger ending. Can't wait to read the next book :)
Claire
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
The zombie apocalypse occurs, and the biggest problem is, Cash has few skills that are useful. She can't shoot a gun, can't fight, and has nowhere to go. Luckily she bumps into Clutch; veteran, doomsday prepper, and about as prepared for the apocalypse as one can get. Now the biggest challenge isn't surviving the zombies, it's surviving the other humans.
If you like zombie books with action and survival elements you might like it. If you like zombie books with philosophy and interesting in depth
Teresa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, zombie-books
Absolute gem of a book in a gravel pit if crappy indie published zombie books! I searched long and hard, and finally have succeeded in stumbling into a great book, period. Zombies made it better, of course, and the references to the classic The Inferno were the icing on the cake. I mean, who would even have thought of this???? Apparently, Ms. Aukes, and thank goodness she did, because I'm sure a less talented writer would have MANGLED such an undertaking. Not this author, though! If you are look ...more
Michelle
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michelle by: Tasha
This is the best zombie book I’ve read so far, I found it really realistic and found it interesting how the survivors acted when they formed into camps. I can’t wait to read the next one to see how the saga continues.
Lori
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jeep-diva, zombie, horror
When I saw the cover for 100 Days in Deadland and learned that it was a trip through Dante’s Inferno with a zombie twist, I knew I had to read this book by Rachel Aukes. Using first person voice, Aukes pulls the reader into this journey through the eyes of Mia Ryan, aka Cash.

Cash just manages to escape her office with a coworker when the zombie apocalypse occurs. But on the highway, zombies, referred to as zebs, attack their escape vehicle. A miracle occurs and Cash finds herself in a truck with
Rachel Eliason
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When the Zombie Apocalypse happens, Mia Ryan is your average office worker. She manages to escape Des Moines with help of a trucker named Clutch. He gives her the nickname Cash and she keeps it. Life as Mia knows it is over and her old identity must die for her survive.

The novel spends little time explaining the whys and hows of Zombies other than it's an extremely contagious infection. Instead it takes you inside Cash's head as she struggles to adapt in a kill or be killed world, where Clutch,
J Danz
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I learned about this author and her zombie series at ICON39. I'm a sucker for a zombie book, but so many of them are formulaic. 100 Days in Deadland is patterned off of Dante's Inferno so its plot has more thought put into it. The author also has really good style and the audio book narrator was great. I'm looking forward to reading the remaining books in the series.
Brian Wilson
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably closer to a 3.5 stars, but it didn't do much to move itself out of your typical zombpacolypse story. Not sure if I will revisit this series or not. The doomsday ex-military survivor cliche doesn't interest me much and this book features a guy right out of central casting.
Sue Moro
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
100 Days in Deadland is a first person account of survival after a zombie plague spreads rapidly through the population.

The book parallels Inferno, the epic poem written by Dante Alighieri. Ms. Aukes divides her book into nine parts representing the nine circles of Hell. Cash is the poet, and Clutch takes on the role of Virgil, her guide.

The book starts with a bang as Cash, our main character who receives this nickname later in the book, finds herself under attack by crazed fellow office workers
A.R. Miller
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of zombies, horror, action, character driven stories, lovers of The Walking Dead
What can I say? We all know I love the works of Rachel Aukes/Berinn Rae and 100 Days In Deadland is no exception. While reading, I was in a love/hate relationship with Aukes. I loved the book, but hated that I was substituting it for sleep.
You are immediately thrown into the action on the first page and not allowed to catch your breath, unless you close the book. This was not an option. Trust me, if I could have handled reading and daily life simultaneously, I would have!
I absolutely loved the w
Marissa Pedroza
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Because it was another zombie novel, to be completely honest, my expectations for 100 Days in Deadland was fairly low. I was expecting gore, gore and more gore, but I was secretly hoping for a storyline that would suck me in like "The Walking Dead" television series.

The novel opens up in the bathroom where our protagonist, Mia, is being attacked by Melanie from Accounting. Rachel Aukes' breathes life into her characters. They weren't all likable, but they were all realistic in their own way. We
Elle
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up 100 Days in Deadland initially because of the cover. The vintage poster feel appealed to me. What's inside the cover is even better. Aukes has built a world that is all too real and makes me wonder what I would do if the end truly was knocking on my front door. I connected with the main character quite a bit. Cash is your everyday gal who lives her days within the walls of a cubicle. All that changes in the blink of an eye. If I were being attacked would I defend myself? Could I kill ...more
Tammy K.
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Honestly, I walked away with a "Meh" feeling.
There are some "OK" parts to this story like the combat action scenes.
There are a lot of weak parts to this story like the incredibly stereotypical, flat characters and a highly predictable plot.
Yet, I kept reading with the understanding that this was still a zombie book and might end up being a story of merit.
However, the hype about this story is far greater than my enjoyment of it.
As I said before there is nothing 'special' or 'original' about
Underground Book Reviews
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hell has hung out a No-Vacancy sign, leaving the dead to wander the earth. And they are hungry.

Rachel Aukes is the latest author to explore humanity on the brink of extinction in her debut novel, 100 Days in Deadland, first published by Surprisingly Adequate Publishing in August 2013.

Our entry in the world comes in the form of a young woman in her 20’s, who quickly discovers that all is not right in her office bathroom when she’s attacked by several women who seem to have an unhealthy obsession
Netanella
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
4 1/2 stars rounded up to 5 because that how rounding works and there's no 1/2 point system on Goodreads!

This is a great zombie book that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I must say that before I started it, I was very skeptical about any book of this nature that would model itself after Dante's "Inferno", and I was fully expecting the worst. And very pleasantly surprised, I found this book to be well written, well thought out, very engaging, very entertaining, very action-packed, very, just very.

Congr
Ethan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The plot kept me guessing what would happen and I felt like I was there watching the story unfold. Rachel Aukes developed the characters so well I felt like I actually met them. I really loved how Jase would always work no matter how badly he was hurt or tired, "Jase said. 'It doesn’t hurt bad. Take your time. I’ll cover the place
today.' Clutch nodded at Jase’s stick. 'Then why are you still using your crutch?'"(Aukes 120). Even though he hurt his leg really bad he was still
April
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly loved this book read it in 6 hours WOW could not put it down even if I had to I found a way back to it quickly. I became addicted to the characters and love the way the story plays out. I do love the way it follows the story of Dante’s Inferno. Never thought I would be able to fully understand that story but now I do. It took taking an old story and putting into today’s world for me to get it. Truly loved every aspect of this story which is a very hard find for me!!!
Ashlee
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the best Zombie books I've read. Dead land takes your through the beginning of the Zed Apocalypse through the eyes of a very unlikely survivor. Character development is fantastic, story line keeps you on the edge of your seat and the characters are very easily relate-able and human. There's romance but not to much to were the story is filled with it. This is a story of survival, loyalty, family and humanity at it's worst/best.
Alice
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars.

Okay…dunno what to say…this book was awesome!

It felt too real, too long, and exhausting. Our hero and heroine are adult people, (Thanks for that! No teenager as main character, except Jase?) and the action ugh badass! In this book, you learnt how to survive. Survive or die.

I'm glad I read it, this book was great. Very well-written. When I first read it, I realized this should make into movie!
RJ
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
A female survivor tale during the apocalypse. Our heroine teams up with an ex-Ranger which they then battle not only the zombie hoard, but the treacherous militia as well. I wasn't so sure of this book when I started, but it turned out to be not so bad. I've certainly struggled through worse. I can give this effort a hearty 3-1/2 stars. There are two more books, but audible format does not seem to be available.
Nikii
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I want to go back and read it chapter-by-chapter with the corresponding cantos of The Inferno! The characters were well-drawn, the events made sense within the context of the world the author built, and the editing was superior to most of the zombie novels I've read in the last few years.
TG KMT | QUESTL❥VE
4 kickass-cash stars

Never read Dante's Inferno, so it didn't matter either way. I still loved this! Cash is the epitome of a kickass heroine! She was totally..real. She wasn't perfect. Or the bestest shooter - at first. Or the most badass zombie killer - yet. She was just...normal.
Clutch was freakin awesome. *swooon*
That ending though...
Heather
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very fast excellent read, refreshing to find a cannot put it down book. I may have won it, but I will gladly buy and gift other copies its that good and I'm very critical I received a free e book recently I hated I am posting before end bc I don't want to be tempted to give anything away
MsDawn Burton
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG I am a new fan! Rachel Aukes ROCKS! I was hooked from book 1 and read all 3 books in a 24 hr period. I only put them down to eat and go to the bathroom. WELL WORTH every penny. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write a fourth book!
JoJo
Hmmmm, I am not sure about this one. I am really picky when it comes to zombie novels and this one didn't hit the spot for me. I wanted more emotion and character development. I saw the person Cash turned into but I never really got a grasp of who she was. And I didn't like the military stuff.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Odium 1.5 (The Dead Saga, #1.5)
  • Induction (Time of Death, #1)
  • Love and Decay: Boy Meets Girl (Love and Decay, #1.5)
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Gods of the Dead (Rising #1)
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Panthan's Crucible (Panthan, #1)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Flotilla of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #2)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
I write speculative fiction (science fiction, horror) because I absolutely love asking, "what if..." (and killing off people).

Anyway, here's the scoop on me: I was raised on a farm in Iowa where I boasted the small town’s largest (okay, and only) comic book collection, and I'm still addicted to stories starring badass characters. I did the college thing--both undergraduate and graduate--before go

Deadland (3 books)
  • Deadland's Harvest (Deadland Saga, #2)
  • Deadland Rising (Deadland Saga, #3)
“Whatever you didn’t plan for, that’s what’s going to happen.” 1 likes
“Who we were shapes us into who we are, and who we are shapes us into who we’ll become.” 0 likes