Start by marking “Conan Doyle” as Want to Read:
Conan Doyle

Conan Doyle

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Conan Doyle is best known for his creation of Sherlock Holmes, but he was much more than a facile populist writer, a symbol of the triumphalism of Edwardian England. He was also an ambitious man of letters, a searcher for political and theological truth, and a leader and shaper of opinion.
Published November 21st 1996 by Bloomsbury (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Conan Doyle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan Doyle

Mikey B.
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A pleasant and short book on the famous writer. It is nice that the author focuses on other aspects of Conan Doyle’s life besides the Sherlock Holmes detective.

Conan Doyle had a prodigious output – several works of fiction and letters to various newspapers. His obsession with spiritualism included much travel and speaking engagements. But it is in Holmes’ that one finds the best of Arthur Conan Doyle – after all, who doesn’t like a good detective story or murder mystery? The Sherlock Holmes sto
Rebecca Lloyd
There were one or two interesting moments in this book..... which for me were less than enough. I didn't feel l was given any insights into the man's true mental state yet most of what is normally covered in biographies was present. I guess it all depends on what material is available and l was not so intetested in his stories, more his curious delusion, which while covered, was not done with much true energy. More on his friendship with Houdini would've been interesting.
SundayAtDusk
After recently reading The Witch of Lime Street: Séance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World, I wanted to read a little more about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This biography seemed to fit the bill--it wasn’t too long and author Michael Coren said in his introduction that his book was a “biographical study”, not “an orthodox literary biography”. That suited me, since I was most interested in reading about Sir Arthur’s personal life and his interest in spiritualism. This book did indeed have qu ...more
Chuck
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it
On December 24, 1974, my Uncle Dean gave me a copy of the Complete Sherlock Holmes; I have read the entire book cover to cover twice, many of the complete volumes contained withing several times, and many of the individual stories dozens of times. I'm not a "Sherlockian," but Conan Doyle is the author I have most consistently read for pleasure since the that fateful Christmas day. I found myself, after reading one of his tales over the lunch hour, wanting to know more about the author.

I'd alread
Carol Tilson
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read

I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, and I am also curious about books written about Doyle. I would rather have scored this book a 3.5 vs a 4 because nothing big jumped out at me. There are a few items that were new to me. The book was not a waste of my time, and yes I would recommend it to someone who is interested in the true man behind the myth. I would also suggest this bio is appropriate for young adults. On to more work about Holmes or his creator.
Nancy
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle by Michael Coren is a good introduction to the man behind Sherlock Holmes. It is a brief biography that is cogent, succinct, accessible, and complete.

The preface states this is not a literary biography, but he does an admirable job covering Doyle's literary achievements from conception to public response. We learn about the men who inspired his characters and how he came to write The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Doyle's life is more adventurous and passionate tha
Katie Murphy
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doyle

A very insightful, well written biography of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Full of details I had never heard of before. Really, an amazing good read!
Atalanta
Gloria Lundberg
Nov 30, 2017
A. Clark Ruddle
Apr 14, 2018
Michael Coren is an English-Canadian columnist, author, public speaker, radio host and television talk show host. He has been the host of the television series The Michael Coren Show for six years. He has also been a long-time radio personality, particularly on CFRB radio.

He has writen more than ten books, including biographies of H. G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, and C. S. Lewis. His latest book,
More about Michael Coren