Start by marking “Blood of the Pride (Blood of the Pride, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of the Pride (Blood of the Pride, #1)

Blood of the Pride

(Blood of the Pride #1)

When a severed rabbit's paw is delivered to her office, outcast cat shifter Rebecca Desjardin recognizes the summons home. One of their own has been murdered--and a shocking photo published in a local tabloid--and her Pride needs Rebecca, now a private investigator, to track down the killer.

Investigative reporter Brandon Hanover wants to find out who slipped the photo of t
Mass Market Paperback, DTC special print edition, 286 pages
Published February 1st 2013 by Carina Press (first published February 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of the Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of the Pride

Start your review of Blood of the Pride (Blood of the Pride, #1)
Jilly
I'm being generous with the 2 stars because... I'm not sure. I think it has something to do with breaking my diet and making "brookies". I'm on a brownie-cookie high right now and that means I'm loving everyone! It's a good time to ask me for a favor.

Oh yeah, I'm happier than a fat baby at a boob convention.

But, let me tell you, this book is awful! Just horrible. Like, you will wonder what the hell you were thinking when you read it. It's the stuff of reader-nightmares. Insta-love, unrealistic e
Mara
Oct 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I guess it's kinda ironic that a purely cat person can't find a book to like when dealing with cat shifters. I found Stray an ok book that never convinced me to keep going on with the series. And I definitely disliked Blood of the Pride.

In both cases the heroine is the culprit. But here, to the heroine's faults, you can add a poor rich boy hero who's even more annoying.
I found them both unreal and lacking coherence.

When she was a teen she was severely beaten and thrown into the street with not
Angela
May 31, 2013 marked it as tbr-later  ·  review of another edition
23 July 2015: $1.99 on Kindle

1 January 2015: $2.99 on Kindle
Dianne
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in an interesting new series by long time author Sheryl Nantus. Book 2 “Claws Bared” will be out on January 21st.
Rebecca is a cat shifter, and she is an unusual one at that. She is also a PI, and has just gotten a summons of a severed rabbit foot calling her back home to her Pride. The same Pride that kicked her out so many years ago.

Another Pride mate has been murdered and an investigative reporter is spreading evidence around that ‘cat people’ may exist. Now that Rebecc
Nicole
The beginning moved too slow, and I didn't feel as if the book would ever pick up. I couldn't relate to the main heroine either.
Mark Engels
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Urban fantasy and paranormal romance at its best, wrapped up in a right proper whodunit! I came across the Blood of the Pride books by Sheryl Nantus researching comp titles for the first novel of my own series featuring an adult female werecat. Navy career in ruins and her Affliction exposed, my protagonist must go underground to foil a plot to kidnap her family and frame the human lover she leaves behind. Halfway through Nantus' series opener her hard-boiled Toronto PI Rebecca Desjardin had me ...more
A Reader
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. Granted, I’m not heavily familiar with this genre, but I liked most of the characters and found myself eager to find out the ending. I wouldn’t mind rereading this book.

If you like werecats and mystery, then try out this book!

-A
Sbrunati
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Funny, good plot and background. To read when you are in need of some book to enjoy without not so much thinking.
Diane
Decent writing, interesting premise, but a few flaws.
On Amazon (where I originally posted this review, right after finishing the e-book), I gave it 4 stars, for 3.5 to 3.75 rounded up.

A number of my favorite authors write urban fantasy and/or paranormal romance (Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews, Eileen Wilks, Nalini Singh, et al). This falls about in the middle, though if you're specifically looking for detailed sexy times, look elsewhere: this one is basically fade-to-black. That's not usually a
Diane
About 3.5, maybe 3.75.
Decent writing, interesting premise, but a few flaws

A number of my favorite authors write urban fantasy and/or paranormal romance (Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews, Eileen Wilks, Nalini Singh, et al). This falls about in the middle, though if you're specifically looking for detailed sexy times, look elsewhere: this one is basically fade-to-black. That's not really a negative for me, though honestly, given the lead characters' general attitude and dialogue, I was a little sur
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

A few years ago I was looking for some steampunk novels for my Kindle, and Amazon recommended that I read Sheryl Nantus’s Wild Cards and Iron Horses. I liked the book so much, I went back and bought two more of her books, both in wildly different genres. Blaze of Glory features reality tv super heroes suddenly forced to step up and actually BE super heroes, and What God and Cats Know is a mystery with a feline shapeshifter PI. I lov
Laurie: Almost Faemous
Originally posted at http://ufreview.com/2012/02/22/blood-...

Review:

I got this one from Netgalley as an eARC in turn for a fair and honest review. Rebecca was a member of the Pride as a child and was kicked out of the pride as a teenager because she didn't have the ability to shift forms, now several years later the Pride brings her back to solve a murder of one of their own. A photo of the dead shapeshifter in mid change is sent to a tabloid reporter, so Rebecca must prevent their secrets from
Lesley
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a strange one for me, I listened to the audio book of Sheryl Nantus's Blood of the Pride rather than reading it as I normally would and I think the god awful narration has really affected my opinion of the book. Although the heroine Reb came across really well the narrator made the hero reporter Brandon came across as far too upbeat and beyond annoying, the pride alpha Jess sounded more like a posh granny than a powerful alpha and the narrators Irish accent for the doorman made me honest ...more
Jenn
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m always on the lookout for new Canadian authors and Sheryl Nantus fits the bill. I’ve had this review copy for a while and actually read the book a few times but I’ve been on the road and not in a great position to write up a review. With the second book in the series now available, I thought it was past time to talk about it because it’s a great story. There’s a lot to like in Blood of the Pride. First, it’s set in the Toronto area, which was really fun for me since that’s where I’m from. It ...more
Delia
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't find very many cat shifter stories. Rachael Vincent has a great one but up until reading Blood of the Pride I had not found any others that were worth reading. Mrs Nantus did a great job building her Felis world. Their society is well thought out with a clear structure that comes through in the story without being boring or overwhelming.

Now onto our main character. Reb's life is far from glamorous. As an outcast from her own kind she is living in the bad part of town as a PI. She has
Alexa
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it

My mini-review can also be found on my blog Collections.

I would say Blood of the Pride managed to hold my interest, considering I was able to read it till the very end. However, I didn't think it was a stand out amongst other paranormal and urban fantasy novels I've read. I also felt that the characters weren't always consistent in the things they said. They would go on and on about the consequences of certain actions, yet later they would backtrack or change their mind. It was a little
J.R. White
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved the idea of cat shifters. Normally I see them as panthers, but these cat shifters are unique unto themselves. Rebecca was kicked out of her pride because she is unable to shape-shift, which left both emotional and physical scars behind. This created a wonderfully in-depth character right from the get go, which had me hooked. The reporter, Brandon, pops into the story with a flurry of alpha maleness that few humans have in paranormal stories.

Along with an interesting cat human
Wyrdness
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I have to say that I liked that the cat shifters weren't lions or tigers, they weren't even lynx or bobcats, they were just the supernatural equivalent of any old housecat you see on the street. It was quite novel that they weren't amazing or exotic and yet they were still stronger and more lethal than any regular unarmed human would be.

Overall it was a fun, though fairly generic, read and I quite liked the story and the characters, but it didn't seem to matter what was going on I never really f
Edie
This book had some continuity problems, there were a few glaring (to me) hiccups on this line, seemingly changed at the last minute to tie things up easily. But despite these the world was interesting.
While the two main characters were interesting, the romance kinda wasn't.
Everything was a little to pat, answers coming relatively quickly and conveniently.
It was at times a bit slow paced.

But where normally even one or two of these sort of things would have me putting the book down, I did read
Madhellena
A good story with bad characters. The plot was great, a little murder mistery with some cat shifters involved. I didn't like the characters, though. The hero was boring and stupid, the heroine was confusing me by alternating between weak shifter and badass investigator. Their relationship evolved far too fast, basically jumping into bed after 48 hours, with no explanation for it. Also, the reason for the collaboration between them was really really stupid.
All in all, I'll read the next to see wh
Michael Dally
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Won this book along with the 3 sequals through a goodreads giveaway.

Although nothing groundbreaking, I still found Blood of the Pride to be an enjoyable read. Though it would technically be considered urban-fantasy due to the feline shape shifters, in the end it was mostly a typical murder/mystery novel. Will be interested to see where this series will lead to as I don't see the current setup being able to carry over to 3 more books.
Nicole Luiken
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ebook
Well-written urban fantasy with a strong, appealing heroine. Rebecca is an exile from the shifter Felis tribe, but gets called back in to help solve a murder. Politics and a shifter society focussed on secrets make for dangerous waters. I also liked the romantic subplot between Rebecca and tabloid reporter, Brandon.
Ships
I have read many urban fantasy s and maybe my standards are too high. It was ok, did not really bring anything new and I felt I had read the story before elsewhere, did not make me excited but it was not a badly written either.. it was just missing an elusive something. Will still give the next book in the series a go.:)
Abby
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
keywords: shifters, crime, romance, YA 15+, Murder

In short: A good read with an interesting storyline and want to know characters would have been 4 stars if the story didn't drag somewhat in the middle. Despite the story dragging i am look forward to the development of the characters lives and their personalities.

Chelsy
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I am always on the look out for new shifter stores and I enjoyed this book.
Blood of the Pride is different from other shifter stories which for me has it's pros and cons. Mainly I found it hard to visualize what they looked like as cat-people because they are not the average shifter. But that may be a refreshing change in the long run.
Onward---->
Ivy
meh. it was ok to begin with but the longer the book went on the worse it got. cheesy, hokey, full of aww shucks back and forth filler dialogue. world building was a total joke. absolutely amateur. compared to other books in the same genre, girl detective with something extra to make it paranormal/urban fantasy fun times, this is not good.
Vicci
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book and the premise of a extensive pride of cat shifters. But I think I would have enjoyed it more if the shifters had been more feline. The overall story-telling was fast paced, yet it did lack the sexy aggressive attributes of common to most shifter novels.
Robyn
An enjoyable mix of mystery, action, and feline shapeshifters. Tired of werewolves? Try this instead. ;) The romance is also very good, and I was glad to see that Bran could be an alpha without being an alphole.
Taz-xo
Blood of the pride was just kinda average. I've read better UF shifter books before. I lost interest after reading 3/4 of the book and I would have liked to see more romance. It was interesting at times though.
Rosamaria Hernandez
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was better than I expected it to be but not as awesome as I wanted it to be. Though I am hoping the author writes a sequel to it so that is a great sign!
It was an enjoyable read and I would definitely recommend it.

• Shadows (Dark in You, #5)
  • Dancing with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons #2)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Blood Slave (Realm Walker, #3)
  • Impossible Things
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Death's Daughter (Realm Walker, #2)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
  • Balanced on the Blade's Edge (Dragon Blood, #1)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Wolf's Magic (Westervelt Wolves, #4)
Sheryl Nantus is an award-winning romance writer published by Entangled, St. Martin's, and Harlequin's Carina Press.

When she's not writing about hunky heroes, she is sipping tea, playing board games and writing haiku.

A total fangirl at heart, she met her husband through an online fanfiction community and currently lives in Pennsylvania.

Blood of the Pride (4 books)
  • Claws Bared (Blood of the Pride, #2)
  • Family Pride (Blood of the Pride, #3)
  • Battle Scars (Blood of the Pride, #4)