Start by marking “A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers

A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers

One way to judge design is how it makes you feel: emotion is key. In this book, Joe Leech will show you how psychological theory can be applied to design. It won’t demand you read every single research study. In fact, it contains very little in the way of theory. What it will show you are the benefits of taking a psychological approach, as well as how to find and apply ...more
Published 2013 by Five Simple Step

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers

Start your review of A Pocket Guide to Psychology for designers
Davor
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish it, found it a bit boring. The book is written in a very solid manner, however the subject it covers is far from interesting. I'd even say the title of the book is misleading - it should say "Psychological research for designers" which in reality it is. Had it been titled like that, I'm pretty sure I would ignore it. Given the book's title, I've expected it to offer practical advice. Instead, the book offers advice on how to do research.
Jason
Apr 06, 2013 added it
This book has very little practical knowledge that you can put to use immediately, but it did get me thinking about using psychology to inform design. It contains quite a few references to interesting resources as well as suggestions to help get you started. It's worth the 20 minutes it takes to burn through it.
Alessandro Muraro
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found it very boring and lacking interesting (to me at least) examples and scenarios, I can't make much of it beside (if I try hard not to be bored) learn about psychology. Not design though, at least not for me.
Mariusz Cieśla
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book is _very_ basic. Could possibly be a blog post, but I guess that doesn't sell that well. If you're looking for a place to get started with psychology and a list of references to other, more serious books, it's a good choice. Except that, look for something more serious from the get go.
Ale Muñoz
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read it you know *nothing* about psychology. But if you've done your homework, and have read a bit, there are far better books to read.
Ignas
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
One of the most boring books I have read and found it useless. Even if it is a short read - do not waste time.
Vishwaraj
Sep 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's more like a compendium of resources of what to read for various psychology-related studies in the past for your use case. To be honest, the author did digress from the main topic several times when he started to explain how to read a research paper or how to do a google search.

I was able to clear one doubt related to psychological theories. I used to think some of our design perceptions are "because" of a theory. The author appropriately says that after all its just a probability that a
Geronimo Garcia Sgrita
Wasn’t entirely what I expected

The book is a good opener for anyone trying to learn about HCI and psychology in design, but doesn’t delve too deep in the subject. It offers an example of how HCI helps making informed decisions and points the reader to some sources of information. If you have no experience on the field whatsoever it’s a good starting point. For me the glass felt half empty
Camila Cirico
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Se você está procurando algo pra começar a ler sobre Psicologia e UX, eu recomendo ler Psychology For Designers por Joe Leech. Ele sai da mesmice e introduz muito bem sobre as psicologias para designers, derruba alguns mitos da ciência psicológica e te dá alguns insights e caminhos práticos para se aventurar nessa ciência. Não encontrará nada sobre psicologia da gestalt, psicologia das cores, história da tipografia ou arquitetura da informação. A parada é outra. Leiam.
Camello
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A good starting point for designers who are interested in applying psychology to their work. Lots of references and further readings. If you are looking for something more in depth, maybe not for you.
Julio
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Great book for those who are trying to understand ux design from a psychological point of view. Highly recommend it!
Sahvanna
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Really good introduction on psychology for designers that don't have a psychology background or are interested in expanding in that area.
Alja
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot of information packed into this short book. It's a great starting point that links to relevant books, theories and more but don't expect too much depth or details.
Veronica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
A list of resources with the basics of psychology -plus a bit on how to do (academic) research.
Lauren
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: librarians
Shelves: design, professional
I read this for design purposes, but found it interesting for it's discussion of research. Seriously, librarians, read this for a first hand look at how someone who has had to hack together the research process has figured out how to do it. Some solid stuff there, some stuff where I'm like "how are we not marketing our services better?" Interesting read.
Justin Schüler
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting sneak peak into psychology and it's relevance for designers, including some "how to" stuff. Worth reading.
Katy Watkins
Great resource for any designer looking to get more into psychology. Also, Readmill is lying, it's short but not 5 minutes short.
James Stewart
Effectively a bibliography
Kelli
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice light intro into the field of psychology with ample resources listed to give designers a good place to start researching for practical application.
Amber Weinberg
Feb 02, 2016
David
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • UX for Beginners: 100 Short Lessons to Get You Started
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3)
  • Mars and Venus in the Bedroom: A Guide to Lasting Romance and Passion
  • The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami
  • Driven: The Virat Kohli Story
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Making Websites Win: Apply the Customer-Centric Methodology That Has Doubled the Sales of Many Leading Websites
  • Sex Education: A Woman's Awakening, Book 1
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • The Internet Is Not the Answer
  • Le Petit Prince
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
“design is the process of choosing and organising words, images and messages into a form that communicates and influences its audience.” UK Design Council” 0 likes
“Trying to solve a specific problem during the design process is when to research a theory.” 0 likes