Start by marking “Urdaisunia” as Want to Read:
Urdaisunia

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Urdaisunia

Alternate Cover Edition B00BELVQ1Q

Urdaisunia, once favored by the gods above all other lands, now lies defeated and in ruins. The gods, displeased by the Urdais' weakness, have turned their backs on the land and left it to die.

Rashali, a widowed Urdai peasant, has vowed to destroy the conquering Sazars and restore Urdaisunia to greatness.

Prince Eruz, heir to the Sazar thro
Published February 10th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Urdaisunia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urdaisunia

Kyra Halland
This is my book, by me, and I really like it :) Treason, betrayal, princes, rebels, war, death, love against all odds, and gods behaving badly. What more could you want? :D
J.J. DiBenedetto
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kyra Halland's Urdaisunia takes on a big task - combining an epic fantasy tale with a very personal and heartfelt story - and it succeeds completely.

Urdaisunia tells the story of the battle for the throne of a land called Urdaisunia, the land between two rivers. Three generations ago, it was ruled by the Urdai, a strong and wise people. But, depending on who's telling the story, they either grew decadent and weak, or simply turned away from their gods and were turned away by their gods in return
Pauline Ross
Kyra Halland is one of those rare authors capable of creating a deeply realistic fantasy world, with an equally realistic romance embedded within it. Too many fantasy authors tack the romance on as an afterthought, or else the romance is all-important and the fantasy elements are hurled randomly into the mix, as if it doesn’t matter whether the obstacles keeping our pair of lovers apart are meaningful or not.

Here everything is carefully thought out. Rashali is a simple village woman, struggling
Sharon Stevenson
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book for honest review. 'Urdaisunia' is an epic fantasy novel about a peasant girl named Rashali, whose choice of a romantic partner is linked closely to her own destiny and the future of her people.

My only complaint is the number of characters at the beginning, I found it difficult to remember them with all their unusual names, but as the story goes on it becomes easier, the main characters make themselves known and the heartfelt story begins.

This was something differ
Winter Sophia Rose
Unique, Emotional & Engaging! A Refreshing Read! I Loved It!
Kurt Springs
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was first published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

The land of Urdaisunia has been ruled by the Sazar for seventy years. Once a land favored by the gods above all other lands, the Urdias have been defeated and abandoned by their gods due to their weakness. All Urdias look to the day that they will finally destroy the Sazars and reclaim their homeland.

Rashali certainly wishes that. A widowed peasant woman, she has vowed to restore her people to greatness. Then she meets Prince Eruz, heir
F.F. McCulligan
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Critique:
The writing flows well for the most part, with minor inconsistencies, sections which did not strike me as incorrect, but just perhaps a bit clunky. There are a LOT of invented words and five syllable names that I did find distracting from the plot. I also read this book aloud and I found myself tongue tied on the names.
There is a huge amount of world building and much of it is laid out in the beginning of the book, which before building a strong investment in a specific story or charac
Maron Anrow
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kindle-bought, indie
(3.5 stars, rounded up)

I enjoyed this book. The setting in particular appealed to me (I pictured it as a fantasy version of the Middle East ~2k years ago, with a bit of ancient Greece--e.g., stories of gods and goddesses--thrown in). The dialogue was great, the writing strong, and the story moved fast. The story was very to-the-point (the protagonists quickly moved from place to place and emotion to emotion; as soon as the previous place/emotional state had made its contribution to the plot, the
W.H. Cann
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A thoroughly enjoyable read:

When I read the blurb about this book, I was intrigued and interested, although I usually shy away from novels of this nature, immortals and mortals, mainly because the few I have read usually lack depth and fail to deliver a convincing believable storyline. However, this one proved an exception.

The story is set around Rashali, a peasant Urdai widow, who, despite her reluctance to act, shows she is a strong and confident individual, whose presence and bearing has a g
C.J. Burright
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Urdaisunia, a realm oppressed by cruel Sazar invaders, Urdai peasant Rashali longs for the day when her people will have the strength to rise up and reclaim their rightful place. But with a drought stealing the life of the land, such a future looks hopeless.

Until Rashali has an unexpected confrontation with Eruz, the Sazar prince and heir, which catches the attention of the gods. The gods decide if Rashali and the Sazar prince marry, rain will again fall on the land. There is contention among
L.L. Watkin
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rar-commitment
The first chapters are a slew of names, races and places, none of which make much sense and makes it really hard going to start with. Past that, however, the exposition drops a lot and the characters get the chance to come through.

It's a fairly straightforward Romeo and Juliet, with a conquering prince (and every other man and his uncle) falling for a conquered peasant woman, Rashali, with too much pride for her own good. There is an amusing framing device of a feuding family of gods overseeing
Catherine Vickers
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely adventurous plot. The story line flowed nicely as we near a war that few want, but seems inevitable with the usual greedy politics of the leaders.

Great main female character.

Thought all the men were a bit weak minded. Even the main male character. He wanted to achieve great things but didn't seem to push himself, unlike the female, she is one tough cookie.

Not a great lover of stories with gods in. The gods always seem as daft as humans, yet they're supposed to be these great, all pow
Kris
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this. Fantasy story with star-crossed lovers - actually they are enemies at the beginning. His people conquered her land and virtually enslaved her people. The world's gods are active participants in this land, and they get their own chapters. Very interesting.

The character names were very unusual and hard to follow for a while, but I finally caught on.
Becky
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Becky by: The author.
I loved it! The situation was compelling, the heroine was feisty and likeable, and the gods were amusingly naughty. Oh, and the forbidden love interest was hawt! Lots of action and suspense kept me wanting more.
Janice E. Ryberg
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Urdaisunia is amazing! 4.7 stars

A romantic, colorful fantasy tale. This story is full of rich history, mythology, and the best and worst of human nature. You really shouldn't miss out on this amazing adventure!
Hmr28
C.J. Wright
Apr 02, 2014
Ellie Red
Apr 03, 2014
Kyra Halland has always loved fantasy. She has also always loved a good love story. She combines those two loves by writing the kinds of romantic fantasy novels she loves to read, tales of magical worlds where complicated, honorable heroes and strong, smart, feminine heroines work together to save their world - or their own small corner of it - and each other.

Kyra Halland lives in southern Arizona