Start by marking “One Step Too Far” as Want to Read:
One Step Too Far

One Step Too Far

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  7,815 Ratings  ·  1,279 Reviews
Een gelukkig huwelijk. Een gezin. Een fijn huis. Waarom loopt Emily Coleman op een ochtend zonder om te kijken weg van dit alles – om onder een andere naam helemaal opnieuw te beginnen? Emily heet nu Cat en ze werkt in Londen bij een reclamebureau. Ze deelt een huis met een nieuwe vriendin, Angel. Cat heeft elk spoor naar haar oude leven zo goed gewist dat niemand haar wee ...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Kirk Parolles (first published April 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Step Too Far, please sign up.
Brooke I can't say for sure, but I work in a bookstore and received this item as a promotional book. I'm going to assume that because the author is British…moreI can't say for sure, but I work in a bookstore and received this item as a promotional book. I'm going to assume that because the author is British this book has already been released overseas(less)
Ceelee Sunshine I ma legally blind so i understand your plight. Did you get the copy from the UK? I got my Advanced Reader's Edition from a contest William Morrow had…moreI ma legally blind so i understand your plight. Did you get the copy from the UK? I got my Advanced Reader's Edition from a contest William Morrow had in the U S to promote the book and the print was OK for me if I used my glasses. The U S publishing date was Jan 27 so you might want to look in your device's store because it should be available in ebook form too. I get a lot more ebooks now because I can enlarge the font and make instant large print books without paying the cost of a large print book! (less)

Pouting Always
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was honestly painful to read, the writing was juvenile and the characters were flat. The plot line was ridiculous and implausible. I don't understand why Emily left her house or pretended to be her twin sister Caroline, the twist at the end doesn't justify her actions at all. The characters were so flat and I didn't relate to any of them. Also how does she do what she did then everything resolves itself at the end of the day and everyone lives happily ever after. Such garbage honestly ...more
karen
emily seems to have everything going for her: a loving husband ben, an adorable young son, and she is pregnant again. so why does she decide to walk away from it all, leaving her wedding ring in crewe station and move into a grotty flat* with too many roommates still in the slapdash stages of their lives - where they are still figuring it out and living in gleeful squalor?

does it have something to do with her twin sister caroline, whose behavior has always been problematic? does emily have a dee
Hannah Renowden
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
*contains slight spoiler*

I found this a really strange book and I CANNOT BELIEVE the rave reviews it is getting here!

The other reviews will outline the plot, which is straight forward, I'm here to say step forth with caution!

Initially I was really engaged and looked forward to picking this back up. But then I realised nothing was going to happen for a while and I bedded in to read the, pretty mundane, daily going-ons of a recently missing woman to find out why she walked out on her life. That's
Therin Knite
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, mystery
There are about a 100 reasons I didn't like this book. Let me list the main ones:

1.) The structure -- The whole unfolding mystery through flashbacks thing is a bit overdone in this type of story anyway, but I found it especially trying in this case because the flashbacks were so inane. The tedious slow build toward the twist turned me off this book almost from the get-go. Not once I did feel any real interest or engagement in the mystery.

2.) The plot -- The premise of this book wasn't all that b
Delee
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won my first book on Goodreads!! Yaaaay!

Welllllll...I didn't see that coming at all! I don't think I will be giving anything away when I say there was a big twist in this book. Almost all the reviews say something about it, and it is also mentioned on the back cover. Even though I knew it was coming, when it happened I re-read that page about three times, and actually went back to different parts in the book to make sure I was getting it. So it wasn't that "Oh my God!" moment I had when watchi
Pam
Feb 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Utterly fantastic read with one hell of an ending. My emotions are still reeling! I had my eyes on this book for some time and wish I had read it earlier. Absolutely brilliant fiction! It's just one of those reads with everything going for it - a great plot, perfect pace, plenty of twists, interesting characters and an ending that knocked the stuffing out of me. A total page-turner in every sense.

An apparently happy marriage. A beautiful son. A lovely home. So what makes Emily Coleman get up one
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well. This book threw me for a loop, and that's a rare feeling these days.

Emily/Cat has run away from her family to start a new life. The whole pull of this book is her secret, the reason why she ran away; it's why you keep turning the pages. The book jumps around from different points of view which adds some flavor to the storyline. It felt more reliable to me to hear from multiple narratives rather than just Emily/Cat's viewpoint.

If you've picked this book up it's likely because of the big t
Patrice Hoffman
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The novel One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis is the story of a woman named Emily Brown who walks out on her life. She leaves behind a loving husband, a son, and a host of family and friends. What causes her to leave her life is the catalyst which drives this novel and places her into the most bizarre situations. I will not divulge the secret because that would just be wrong.

Emily sets out one day with money in her purse, a passport, and the clever idea to change her name in hopes of becoming someo
Noeleen
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book, I expected much more from it. For a debut novel it wasn't bad, it was 'just okay'. On the plus side, the author did a good job of keeping my interest right up until the end to find out what actually happened and the reason why Emily left her family, but the ending totally fell flat for me. Additionally, even though it's a quick read, I think the writing was perhaps a bit 'too informal' (for want of a better phrase) for my personal tastes. I felt that there was to ...more
Diane S ☔
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing and psychologically intense debut novel by Seskis. Dysfunctional family, twins that are far from close and totally different. This is a novel that requires some patience, but not much because the writing is very good, as the story line slowly reveals itself. The reader is presented with the narration of one character, we learn about her before life in flashbacks, and from the beginning I had a hard time aligning the two different faces of this character. I could not believe they were the ...more
Dem
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

One step too Far by Tina seskis is a marvellous rollercoaster of a novel with a compelling plot that keeps you turning those pages.

The story is written using both the present tense and flashbacks and reveals the intriguing story of twin sisters Emily and Caroline. We first meet Emily on a train, running away from what would seem to be the perfect suburban life. Emily has it all, a husband and son whom she has had a very happy life with. Something happens and Emily plots her escape from
Sara Strand
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I will start by saying that this was a weird book. It was good, but there were so many parts where I started to really hate Emily not just as a mom and wife but as a person. Even though I can sympathize with wanting to just start all over because it's hard. Life is hard but you add the duties of motherhood and being a good wife into the mix, it's even harder. But she has had a lot of confusion and inner demons her entire life and I guess over time, it just gets to be too much.

The secret that es
Amy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
There's a lot going on in this book. And I mean A LOT. I don't think it's a spoiler to say there are drugs, death, arrests, parachuting, anorexia, alcoholism, mental illness, runaways, prostitutes, adultery and what sounds like a completely exhausting trip to Ikea. It's kind of a lot to take in.

In the beginning, Emily runs away from her family, changes her name to Cat (happily already her legal first name), finds a flat to live in in London in a couple of hours (!), gets a job instantly (!!) and
Anne
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Does anyone else get that tingly feeling when they are just a few chapters into a book and they just know that they are in for an amazing read? I don't get it very often, although over the past few months I've discovered more tinglers than usual and One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis is one of those. I'd never heard of the book, or the author before and made sure that I didn't read any reviews of the novel before I started to read it, so I really had no idea what to expect. I certainly didn't antic ...more
prettybooks
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17/20

Un thriller addictif, que j’ai eu beaucoup de mal à poser. Une intrigue qui semble incompréhensible au départ même si des éléments viennent peu à peu donner du sens au comportement de l’héroïne. J’ai beaucoup aimé cette lecture.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Teresa
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story opens with a woman who's decided that she is going to run away from her current life and start anew, without the benefit of any family or friends. By the time the main character, Catherine Emily, has come full circle, the author has explored greed, poverty, adultery, fame, fortune, divorce, marriage, drugs, life and death just to name a few.
From the start of the book, you become engrossed to the point you don't want to put it down. The author does this by telling each persons' point o
Elaine
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: like-it-like-it
This book left me absolutely stunned. It is the story of Emily, a woman who walks out on her husband and baby one day and just disappears. As a mother, there were certainly times when my own kids drove me so barmy that I often thought “what would it be like to just disappear …” and so I was fascinated to try and understand what exactly would drive a mother to do this. As we watch Emily start a new life, her back story is revealed in bits and pieces and there are a number of different view points ...more
Jayme
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
There is a good twin and a bad twin and you don't know what happened on "that day" till part three. By that point, you hardly care, because when you don't even like the "good twin" it's hard to like the book. And, after you find out what the twist is..you will dislike it even more. It kept me reading, which is the only reason that I gave it two stars instead of one. Unfortunately, I disliked everything that I learned in "part three"!
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Sit up straight and pay attention! There’s a lot going on in ONE STEP TOO FAR and if you zone out for even a second, you could miss something crucial.

ONE STEP TOO FAR is a story of jealousy, greed, heartbreak and madness with a little bit of happiness thrown in for good measure. The manner in which the story is told can be confusing if you are not firing on all cylinders. Told from multiple points of view, the reader gains insight to all the players in this crazy game called Emily Coleman’s life
Liz Barnsley
Emily is happily married with a lovely son and seemingly has it all. So what makes her get up one morning and leave it all behind to start a new life alone in London? That is the premise for this novel and it really was a terrific read. I was immediately drawn into Emily's world and that of her identical twin sister and it kept me reading long into the night.

Now anyone who has read reviews of this novel previously know that there is a twist in the tale. What IS it that makes Emily behave this wa
Lorri
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
this book was disappointing. first there were way too many side stories that had nothing to do with the story and I found distracting. it was like the author had a page count she wanted to make. the entire plot was too much it would have been a much better book to start with the event and go from there with the consequences of that moment. instead the book leads up to this event and while tragic not worth the 250 pages it took to get there.
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Παίρνοντας στα χέρια μου το "Φεύγω" της Tina Seskis, και διαβάζοντας την περίληψή του, σκέφτηκα ευθύς αμέσως πως είχα να κάνω με μια πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα ιστορία, αν και κάτι μου θύμιζε. Ξεκινώντας την ανάγνωση, συνειδητοποίησα πως σχεδόν τρία χρόνια νωρίτερα, το αξιολογήσει για λογαριασμό ενός εκδοτικού οίκου, με το κείμενο να μην μου έχει αφήσει τις καλύτερες εντυπώσεις. Ωστόσο, θεώρησα σωστό να του δώσω μία ακόμα ευκαιρία, εφόσον κατάφερε να μου κεντρίσει το ενδιαφέρον, έστω και αν η πρώτη του α ...more
Julie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis was published by Kirk Parolles and is an April 2013 release.

The book begins in 2010. Emily decides to do what many people fantasize about. She packs a bag, withdraws money from the bank and skips out her husband, Ben and her family. She moves into a run down flophouse. She immediately becomes friends with Angel. The two hit off and Emily changes her name to Cat and picks up Angel's habits. She steals clothes, drinks to excess, and begins doing drugs. While at firs
Beadyjan
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The tagline "the book everyones going to be talking about" nearly put me off this new title when I spotted it on Netgalley but I decided it did sound pretty interesting and decided to give it a whirl. I'm really glad I did, I absolutely loved it.

Its romantic fiction with lots of twists and turns not quite a psychological chiller but enough twists and whys and what's and who's to keep you guessing and second guessing all the way through.

It tells the story of identical twin Emily, on a train, runn
Dianne
Take "One Step Too Far" - Seriously - Tina Seskis is giving away TEN copies at Tome Tender!
Click on Banner to Enter - Open to US Only - Remember, Books Make GREAT Gifts for YOU or your favorite reader!

Tina Seskis has done a marvelous job of creating a compelling and intense novel with One Step Too Far. Written using both the present tense and flashbacks to the past, we live through the painful journey of Emily Coleman, who escapes her life one morning, turning her back on her family and her id
Linda Broderick
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm finding that I'm really enjoying UK imports these days, from BBC America television to new novel releases. I just finished reading an advance copy of "One Step Too Far", the page-turning debut novel from UK writer, Tina Seskis.

Excerpted from the author's GoodReads page: Tina never intended writing a novel. She wrote One Step Too Far over a two month period in summer 2010 and then gave up writing entirely for well over a year, before writing her second novel A Serpentine Affair in autumn 201
Poppy fairy
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One Step Too Far is stunningly brilliant, with very clever twists. I really enjoyed the character Emily Coleman although she had done a bad thing that is what made her really interesting to read. I found that Emily just seemed really to bounce of the pages.
Emily Coleman has a happy marriage for five years and a beautiful son with a lovely home. So what makes Emily Coleman wake up one morning and decide to walk out and leave her husband and son behind?.
No-one knows why and no-one knows her secr
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Leaving her husband and child both physically and emotionally? What would make Emily, a happily married woman, just leave one day without a trace and make a new life for herself?

Emily renamed herself Cat, moved into a run down house, and made new friends that really were not her style, but she didn't go back even as she second-guessed her decision especially when she thought of Ben and Charlie.

ONE STEP TOO FAR went back and forth between Emily/Cat's childhood and her current life as well as goin
Tracy Johnson
Nov 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I dont like giving one star reviews but a 2-star is listed by GR as "It was OK" and I cant really say "One Step Too Far" was. I truly thought it was bad. Partly because I don't like twists - obvious twists - books where I am manipulated with soap opera hangers. I prefer twists that are a great deal more subtle as in "We need to talk about Kevin" that come about without being telegraphed at the end of every chapter - Stay tuned or you'll miss the big one.
I found myself cringing at the atrocious g
  • Stolen (Gardner and Freeman, #1)
  • The Long Fall
  • What Have I Done? (No Greater Love #2)
  • Watched: When Road Rage Follows You Home
  • Messages
  • The Dream You Make
  • Coldwater
  • The Bad Things (Alex Devlin, #1)
  • Thanksgiving
  • After the Fall
  • Love is a Thief
  • The Spice of Life
  • Glass House 51
  • The Original Alibi (Matt Kile Mystery, #2)
  • What It Was Like
  • The Other Side of Heartache
  • The Orphan's Tale (Book I)
  • The Twelfth Child (Serendipity, #1)
Tina Seskis grew up in Hampshire, before going off to study in the beautiful city of Bath and then moving to London, where she has lived on and off ever since.

Tina's first novel One Step Too Far was released in 2013, and has since been published in 17 languages in over 60 countries. Her latest novel, The Honeymoon, will finally be released on 1st June 2017.

Tina lives in North London with her husb
More about Tina Seskis

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“When they finally leave me alone I find that I'm beyond feeling, beyond caring, I'm in a place deep in my mind that feels safe and warm, where nothing can go wrong, because it already has, every last thing that can.” 2 likes
“just fuck off and go away. 61 Caroline had felt a peculiar sense of triumph when she’d seduced her twin sister’s husband. She’d thought he was fair game. Emily had abandoned him after all, and the fact that Ben’s desire for her, Caroline, had been so intense and all-consuming, well, it had made her feel” 0 likes