Start by marking “Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution” as Want to Read:
Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution

Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Bart Jones knows Venezuela intimately and was an eyewitness to President Hugo Chávez’s rise to power. In Hugo! he tells the story of Chávez’s impoverished childhood, his military career and the decade of clandestine political activity that ended in a failed attempt to seize power in 1992. He describes the election campaign against a former Miss Universe that finally won Ch ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Steerforth

To ask other readers questions about Hugo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hugo!

Terri
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a an admirer of Chavez. I am also a socialist. I really enjoyed this title and I highly recommend our leaders take notice of the undeniable achievements of the Bolivarian Socialist Revolution. Viva Chavez!
Cristina
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book, definitely a page turner, but not as impartial as it purports to be. You would enjoy this if:
-you like long books
-you're interested in Venezuelan social an geographical politics
-you are a liberal
The author is definitely a sympathizer, and manages to construct hypothetical scenarios, make excuses, or inject his opinion in certain places to cast Chavez and his (sometimes controversial) actions in a more favorable light. Overall though, extremely informative, and definitely a refreshing
Mark
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, history
The first and most important thing to say about this book is that it is a balanced portrayal. The cover has a recommendation saying as much from the Times of London, hardly a bastion of left wing politics. Bart Jones takes us through the early, destitute days of Chavez, through his military career and on to politics. The seeds of a revolutionary are sewn early on through certain postings with the military and a the written teachings of the historic left wing hero, Simon Bolivar, whose written wo ...more
Vinicius Gonçalves
É claro, se você "acompanha" o que "acontece" na história do mundo através de uma revista veja, rede globo, páginas do facebook como MBL entre outros, não adianta nem chegar perto desta biografia. Ela não faz parte de suas leituras tendenciosas, sem embasamento histórico e nenhuma consulta ou pesquisa popular.

É uma jornada não só pela vida de Hugo Chávez como ao interior da Venezuela, suas injustiças sociais antes do governo revolucionário e de seu maior líder desde Simón Bolivar. Uma obra impec
Jordan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: left
Concise biography that covers Chavez's life and politics up to 2007. The author is kind to Chavismo and more or less admits to admiring Chavez, but does a good job of consistently presenting the arguments and opinions of chavismo's opponents at every turn. This is a good book to learn about the origin of the 'pink tide' in Latin America, both its history and its social-political goals, for readers that are not hostile to that movement.
Gonçalo Peres
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Because of the negative way that international media usually depicted Hugo Chavez, with uninformative pieces of unusual incidents, I always felt curious about knowing more about the "real" Hugo.
While planning to travel in South American countries, I also wanted to learn more about it's history.
This book answered both requests. It provides a nice historical background to South America and shows us the real Hugo, with is virtuousness and faultiness, in a very balanced and imparcial way.
And the wri
Gustavo Tavares
Sep 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biografias
Resumo do livro: Chavez foi o mais puro e ilustrado democrata desde a Grécia Antiga!! Um visionário incompreendido pelos seus contemporâneos que, apesar de tudo, continuou a tratá-los com justiça e fair-play. Foi também um excelente rebatedor que fazia no mínimo um home-run por jogo, mesmo quando fora de forma e atarefado na construção de um oásis de democracia e transparência na América Latina. Há!! Ia me esquecendo: os seus adversários na Venezuela, bem como o primeiro, segundo e terceiro esca ...more
Chris Hall
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion an excellent book. Written in such a way that it reinforces my stereotypes of Chavez and introduces a whole lot more information about him and the Bolivarian movement.

Chavez comes out reasonably well, the Us funded opposition movement come out badly, as does the US with ample evidence that they just can't leave alone.

Some good ideas from the Venezuelan experience that should come in handy for a re-invigorated left in the West.
John
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shows in great detail the increasing radicalization of Hugo Chavez in response to coups and imperialist aggression. The best of the several Chavez biographies in English. Jones also covers elements of Chavez's personal life which were less known, like his affair with an early co-conspirator. A great read.
Laurie
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in south america, in revolutions, people with open minds.
Shelves: delicious
This book offers an array of points of views on the programs and changes that have made up the Venezuelan revolution. Easy to read and a fascinating study of what may be the most far reaching revolution of our time.
Dustin
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting for what it was but a little repetitive. It focuses too much on the pro-Chavez/anti-Chavez power struggle and glosses over how his policies actually affected normal citizens. I know it's a biography but I was hoping for more of an analysis of Venezuela as a whole.
John
This was a good biography of the Venezuelan President. However, it is VERY pro-Chavez. You need to read this book critically because the author does not give proper credit to the anti-chavez movement. After reading this book, I now understand the situation a little better.
John Langstaff
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very informative.
Sam
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book and gives some counter to the vile, right-wing tosh that the American media releases as so called "news".
Wendy Hollister
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another charismatic leader who appealed to the poor and destitute.
Florence
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hugo Chavez is not the devil incarnate as portrayed in the American Press. He is a hero to his countrymen, especially the underprivileged.
Joaquin
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is one of the best Chavez books I've read because it tried to give both the positive and negative side of the whole story. Good read.
David
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't get to the end
Daniel
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great biography. Miraculously by an AP reporter...
Mike
Dec 03, 2007
John ingamells
Oct 24, 2014
Kadech
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2013
  • The Last Colonial Massacre: Latin America in the Cold War
  • We Want Freedom: A Life in the Black Panther Party
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
  • Eugene V. Debs: Citizen and Socialist
  • The Edifice Complex: How the Rich and Powerful--and Their Architects--Shape the World
  • The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power
  • Genghis Khan: Life, Death, and Resurrection
  • The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon
  • How to Hustle and Win
  • Hillbilly Nationalists, Urban Race Rebels, and Black Power: Community Organizing in Radical Times
  • The Assassination Of Julius Caesar: A People's History Of Ancient Rome