Start by marking “The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self” as Want to Read:
The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self

The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  966 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Welcome to The Dance, the wise and practical book that expands on Oriah Mountain Dreamer′s new moving prose poem. In this compelling book the acclaimed author of The Invitation challenges readers to live with passion, energy, and honesty. The key, says Oriah, is to savour the everyday world of family, friends, love, and work with clear minds and open hearts. When we are ph ...more
Published August 21st 2001 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance

Satia
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spiritual seekers, native american spiritualists, women
I will be writing a more thorough review of this book for my blog. What I like most about Oriah Mountain Dreamer's books is that I understand how she thinks and feels about things. Although our spiritual practices are different what we believe is so very similar that I find myself nodding, with a gentle smile, as I see my thoughts mirrored back to me in her books.
Nathalie
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen-and-yoga
Loved this book; it's raw, real and beautiful. The author asks insightful questions which makes us think more deeply on the meaning of our life, feelings and actions without pretending she knows the answers to it all but simply inviting us to explore them with her. Highly recommended.
Farheen
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Farheen by: Julaiha
Oriah writes with such lucidity that you don't feel like putting the book down.
But the ideas are at a deep intense level and the language has a steering of its own :) So unless you like delving deeper into the abyss of your consciousness, this book will otherwise not appeal to you.

It is truly a recommended book to any seeker of spiritual seeking and completeness at a core level.
Her idea of understanding the Sacred Mystery is so simply and so well explained! Loved it. Totally in line with Sufi
Sabina Manolache
This is where I believe "Books can change people". I have never felt more at peace and capable of loving what I don't or can't understand. I have no words to write what this book changed in me, what it taught me. I am grateful my best friend brought it into my life.
Christine
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The single most profound book I have ever read. My new favorite. Keeping this one close to my heart to share with someone special :)
Nancy
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it
great so far, just forgot to finish it. not really a self help book, but a memoir about a mom dealing with lifes ups and downs. - ok finished it. some of the book was really good, but the lady who wrote it is kind of a hippy so some parts are weird about listening to the earth and sacred solitude.
Caprice
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I admire the depth of soul to which this author reaches. She does not simply scratch the surface of individual spirituality and existence but offers insightful personal stories and self-examining questions that help discover, unfold,and embrace the souls joy. There are useful meditations at the closing of each section that help in becoming known better to the self and enable us access to a starting point where we can begin to live from a deeper and deeper connection with who we really are.

This
Paige Craine
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book guided me into a better healing space and opened up my mind to a new perspective of trauma and my own reactions to that trauma. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has lived through tough circumstance and wants to come through it with light and energy to keep unfolding their life in a positive way!
Cris B
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Bom
Tyrone
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A poetic masterpiece, full of insight, eloquently written, spiritually rewarding, thought evoking, and existentially driven.
WR
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book quite illuminating though I haven't quite practised the meditations. The sense that e are good enough as we are and should just be ourselves is truly liberating.
Deborah
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Great meditations at the end of each chapter.
DYG Coaching
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oriah begins each of her books with a delightful poem, and then goes into detail in each chapter, providing examples from her own life. The book is enjoyable, inspiring, and easy to read.
Ida
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I was greatly moved by a quote, and then I got to know that it was from a poem; The Invitation.
The poem instantly clicked with my soul and I kept my eyes peeled for the author who gifted the rich words; Oriah Mountain Dreamer.
Then I saw this book, and bought it.

It is part poetry, rendering auto-biographical anecdotes, and part self help book. I did not read it on one sitting; it is not the kind of book. It is a book for one in need of something deeper that your heart recognizes and yearns for.
Lisa
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-openers
Oriah writes beautifully, period. There were few concepts in the book that were new to me, or that I didn't already hold firm belief in, but she related her personal stories and stories of those she's come across in life in a way that secured my beliefs even more.

Oriah invites us to dance to the rhythm of our own music, despite our society's tendency to encourage us to dance to the same beat as others. The book is about being mindful and fully present as often as possible, in order to discover
Lisa
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I've tried to read this book and the second time I've put it to one side half way through. That's not to say that this book has no merit. I love The Dance poem and the main theme behind this book 'the question is not why are you so infrequently the people you really want to be. The question is why do you so infrequently want to be the people you really are'...'because you have no faith that who you are is enough'... 'but it is. Your true nature as human beings is compasio ...more
Pooja Kobawala
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a nice light read for a stressful time. It made me think and brought me some warm thoughts-- good food for soul.

Quotes I liked:

"When I was young and I met a man, I wanted to know if he believed women were equal and entitled to the same choices as those afforded to men. Now, I am more interested in whether or not he'll cook some of the meals regularly and clean up after- including cleaning out the unidentifiable gunk that collects in the sink strainer- without making a big deal out of it
Beate Matvejeva
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not know what expect from this book. Once again my skeptical side had switched on and I started it rather reluctantly.. I'm happy that I was wrong. I really enjoyed reading this.
I experienced a mixture of different feelings...in some parts of the book I would shake my head in agreement, in others not so much...and then there were those parts that made me laugh and almost move me to tears.
This book made me think and look at certain things from a different perspective. Happy I read it!
Loved
Michele Harrod
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good follow on from The Invitation - she really is a very evocative writer, and does a great job of bringing the realities of day to day life into the realm of our need for spiritual fulfillment. I really believe she practices what she preaches - and really, there is no preaching here - just a gentle wise view of how to live our best life.
Santica
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Santica by: Caroline Wilkie
Unbelievable that I read another book by a woman named, Oriah Mountain Dreamer. Just like her other book, The Invitation, I found it heavy at times with new age themes. However, I still managed to enjoy her continued theme of living in the here and now, and being comfortable in your own skin and true to yourself.
pianogal
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Even with the fact that we borrowed part of this poem for a wedding reading, I still didn't love this book. I think from the trilogy I liked them in this order - The Call, The Dance, The Invitation. I guess that's backwards order.

The poem is beautiful and thought provoking - I'm just not sure that, like it's brothers before it, it needed any further explanation.
Anita Dafalla
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read "The Dance" after happily finishing the Invitation on such a high. I can now truly say "The Dance" is my favourite book of all time! It is like a best friend I can reach out to when I need them most. It helped me like myself, appreciate my life and who I am; to appreciate everything and have a more optimistic outlook on everything. A must must must read.
Christine Hiester
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Probably worth more of a 3.5. I love the author's storytelling, and her connectedness with the people in her life, her intentions for living with a full and open heart. Her personal spiritual life does not resonate as much with me, as I am coming from a Christian perspective. Overall I enjoyed the book.
Kates
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alltimefavorites
I read this book while in Boston and it seemed to answer every question I was looking for (yes, I was even looking for questions then!) while I read it. I love the advice on life the author gives - the biggest thing I remember was, "find a place that makes you happy and then go back there repeatedly".
Linda Huffman
This is a follow up to The Invitation. I liked this one better. She talks about how to let go and enjoy the dance of life. Her message is to slow down and realize that who we are is enough. Once we do that, we will be able tolive with fully and experience our lives.
Dana
Dec 09, 2008 marked it as to-read
I got this for my sister as a Christmas gift and I'm thinking I should get a copy for myself (on my next library stop). From what I've picked up from a quick perusal, I like that the book opens with a poem, The Dance, and each chapter begins with a stanza of the poem as for inspiration.
Lauren Staff
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
from the words of someone else, through her stories and personal exerience, it's impossible to NOT read this book and gain insight into your own personal, internal life experience. just makes you think... no matter where you are in life, it doesn't matter, as long as you yourself can be ok with it.
Ann
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another book I'll keep forever. An experience instead of a read... Quote "Tell me the stories of who you are, and see who I am in the stories I am living. and together we will remember that teach of us always has a choice."
Kimberly
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book forever in my Kindle and randomly started reading it last night, read the whole thing in one sitting. I look forward to utilizing the meditations and doing some writing, this book was the word I needed at this moment.
Sabina Manolache
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • Stretching Lessons: The Daring that Starts from Within
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • Woman's Comfort Book, The
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • Sweat Your Prayers
Oriah is first and foremost a story-teller, a lover of words and symbols and the stories that lift our spirits, open our hearts and offer us ways to see patterns and create meaning in our lives. The focus of her life and work has been an on-going inquiry into the Sacred Mystery. Her writing, teaching and personal journey all explore how we can each become the individual we are at the deepest level ...more
More about Oriah Mountain Dreamer

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
    $14.99 $1.99
  • In the Beginning . . .: Science Faces God in the Book of Genesis
    $8.99 $1.99
“Sometimes I think there are only two instructions we need to follow to develop and deepen our spiritual life: slow down and let go.” 61 likes
“What if the task is simply to unfold, to become who you already are in your essential nature—gentle, compassionate, and capable of living fully and passionately present? How would this affect how you feel when you wake up in the morning?” 15 likes