Start by marking “Branded (Sinners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Branded (Sinners, #1)

Branded (Sinners #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  7,418 Ratings  ·  1,348 Reviews
Alternate cover edition, ISBN:9780989527415

Fifty years ago The Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society.

To punish the guilty, he created the Hole, a place where sinners are branded according to their sins. Sinners are forced to live a less than human existence in deplorable condition
Published June 28th 2013 (first published June 27th 2013)

Aestas Book Blog
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

"I love you... I don't want you to ever question it. I'd give up my life for yours. That's how much I love you. Don't you dare ever doubt that."

WOW!!!

Fast paced, action-packed and emotionally charged, Branded is a phenomenal Dystopian debut with a forbidden romance that will capture your heart! A must-read of 2013!

The writing was strong, I fell in love with the characters and was totally wrapped up in the world. There was a swoon-worthy hero, a strong heroine, a forbidden romance (and I
Duchess Nicole
2.5 Stars. Sad Face :(

This book has SO MUCH PROMISE. The premise is awesome, and no matter how many YA dystopian I read, I love them all. So I was really excited to get this from Net Galley, especially after all of the raving reviews. But I feel like once I missed something that everyone else seemed to get. WHAT AM I NOT GETTING? This book started off strong and exciting but the appeal quickly turned to confusion and boredom for me.

One big problem was the characterization of both Lexi and Cole.
Christy
5+++ AMAZING STARS!!!

photo f2a2acbb-4ac4-4ca9-a591-aa926c4b7cf8_zpsac2bb85f.jpg

What can I say about this book... I feel like anything I write isn’t going to do it justice. I read it 4 or 5 days ago and I’m STILL trying to come up with something good enough. I was blown away. Incredible, Phenomenal, Amazing... those are the first words that pop into my head! This is one of those books I will be recommending to anyone and everyone!

This is Lexi’s story.
 photo 76dd988c-7711-47cc-97d7-ab5f6ffc63cf_zps691ceca4.jpg

The world is different now. Years ago, after WWV, the justice system was revamped by ‘The Commander.
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
"This sucks."
"Sure does," he says.

—good summary.

Lexi's been branded a sinner and thrown in the hole.
Read as she fights threw catcalls, rat infested rooms, and... her heart!
Don't forget the backstory! There's always a backstory, because she is not a "slut", like they think she is. Then meet Cole, he's her guard. There's not much to say about him really, just that he has a dog, and inevitably the MC's love interest.
That covers it.

Was this supposed to be similar to Divergent or Shatter Me?
Tha
Debra
✰★✰ 4.5 STARS. ✰★✰

"To the outside, I'm filth now. I'll never be allowed to return to the life I knew. No one ever does."

Branded tells the story of a young girl named Lexi Hamilton. In a future world, the world as it is after World War V, all,the power is in the hands of a cruel, sadistic leader, aka The Commander. People who commit one of the seven deadly sins are branded according to the sin they've commited and exiled to The Hole. A horrible place where there's no form of luxury and barely
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4 Sins & Sinners Stars

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.

Now, everyday is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.

My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

description

In a world ravaged by Wars, a new society has emerged and a madman whose sadistic view of humanity rules the people with an iron fist. The Commander is now in power by murdering anyone that stands in his way. Justice is a thing o
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you
I read this because Abookutopia channel recommended it and I'll tell you I'm not dissapointed.

Cole and Lexi are great together and you'll love Zeus, best pet character ever!

Update: There will be a harcover edition and I can't wait for it.

The concept is great, the romance is great, and I thought this was a little bit more adult than other YA dystopians. I love the evolution of Lexi. She started the book vomiting, screaming and being just a girl and over the book she evolved to be a real heroine.

C
Paula

With its very original dystopian setting and fascinating storyline, I had hoped Branded would be better than it turned out. Unfortunately, this story did not work for me.

Lexi Hamilton has been branded a sinner for all to see around her neck. Lust is her sin, even though she is innocent of her crime. She’s been sent to the Hole, where all the sinners go to live the rest of their lives. The Hole has now become Lexi’s own personal hell and home. The Commander created the Hole when he came into pow
Jen
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"You Can Over Come Anything
Short of Death"

Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki have written a brilliant Dystopian story that takes the reader on a journey that is terrifying, gruesome, violent, and heartwrenching. Through all of this horror and heartache, there is a love that grows between a guard and a "Sinner and the odds are stacked against them. Can love survive in a world that knows very little peace, or will it fizzle away in the midst of all the chaos.
This story captured my attention from th
Brenna
2 1/2 stars

I have so many conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I love the concept and it was an easy book to get through. On the other, I couldn’t stop thinking about things that bothered me that took away from the overall enjoyment of the book.

It all begins with Lexi Hamilton; she has just been branded a sinner. She now wears a blue brand signifying her alleged sin of lust on her neck. In her world, anyone who is accused of one of the seven deadly sins is sent to the Hole. There is no
destini mia
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites

Casting:

Branded was fast paced, raw and gritty, with a heart wrenching romance and a captivating story. One of my absolute favorites of this year!

It’s post WWV, where the privileged live in fear of being accused and the unlucky one’s fight for their life in the Hole.
With a twisted, unyielding Commander as their leader, those who oppose him are murdered and
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
DNF @ 20%

before I start reviewing this book I want to say thank to my kind friend Veronica who answered my question about this book, but I'm sorry to let you down :(

There are seven deadly sins :
Pride > Purple Envy > Green
Wrath > Red Sloth > Black
Greed >Yellow Lust > Blue
Gluttony > Orange

if you are accused then you will be brought to The Hole, where all the sinners live and where you will be branded by the color of your sin on your neck.
All of the sinners have a job and
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
2.5-3 stars!

Note: The book has recently been updated with a new cover and has brand new chapters (extra 70 pages).

When I first read this book last summer, I thought it was flawless – I especially loved that the story gave me a total escapism feeling. As time goes by, I’ve noticed that my tastes change (like a lot) and I become more jaded & critical. I just want to point out that this review is not very trustworthy – the first time reading I gave this book 5 stars. Now almost a year later it
Lucia
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lucia by: Christy
I liked the emotional first half of the book. But after promising introduction into this story I was a little bit disappointed with the second half which lacked element of surprise or twists that would keep me on my toes.
My Lexi and Cole:

In Branded, after World War V, country is ruled by Commander who sends all "sinners" into The Hole as a way of keeping society "pure". All sinners are guarded by Guards of Commander and relationship of any form between sinner and guard is strictly forbidden. The
Lauren

Dear readers, I did not like Branded by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki. Not in the least. When I first read the book blurb, I got excited. A dystopian novel set in an ultra-religious society where people are imprisoned for violating the seven deadly sins, a main character falsely accused and imprisoned for lust, a conflicted guard mysteriously assigned to keep her alive at all costs, and a smidge of star-crossed love thrown in to boot. Sounds great, sign me up! Turns out my initial excitement wa

Trisha ❊ Devoured Words
BRANDED HAS RUINED ME FROM ALL BOOKS!!!!

OH. MY. GOD.

That was AMAZING!!!!

It was written so well. The story was beautifully constructed throughout the book. There is action, romance and gut-wrenching moments. It was one hell of a roller coaster ride . One I enjoyed so much. There were so many feels. I felt like my heart will leap out of chest and jump into my trembling hands. (My hands weren't trembling mind you but that was how hard the feels where, they were eagerly scrolling down to devour mo
Kathryn
Jul 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
K-
Apr 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Stopped reading at about 60% and skimmed rest.
Interesting premise, however the execution was awful. It went from 'we just met' to 'I love you' in about 5 pages. The dialogue was extremely juvenile, and there was very little 'show' and a whole lot of 'tell'. Not for me at all. Very disappointed.

**I received an ARC from the authors in exchange for an honest review**
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 43%.

I had high expectations for this once I read the summary and the praise that came along with it.

Summary

A teenage girl is accused a crime she didn't commit, and is forced to live in the Hole, a place where all criminals are forced to endure inhuman horrors and all hope seems lost, until she falls in love with her captor, a crime punishable by death.

For 43%, we see the barest of "inhuman horrors" that Lexi doesn't endure. Instead, we get a soap opera flick with a half-hearted attempt
Catarina
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Fighting Stars

This story takes place in a post-WWV world, which is now a completely different place.
The world is now ruled by the “Commander” and it has to remain pure.
No sins… and no sinners.
The Commander believes that the seven deadly were the cause to the downfall of society and all the sinners that are believed to commit a crime inside one of the seven deadly sins are judged and sent to “The Hole” where a color will identify the type of sin they committed.

description

Lexi was sent to the hole and
Laurynne Gouws - BookReviewBay.com

I'd like it to go on record and state that on this day I said "Just you wait and see... Branded is going to become a Bestseller for sure. If this doesn't happen then there's a problem with the system. Injustice will not be tolerated - Branded deserves to be amongst the best."

It's been a long time since I read a YA and even longer since I read a dystopian novel. I'd forgotten how much fun they can be. Yes, Branded is YA and considering I'm bordering on 31, I do like more 'risque' books, however,
Zakirrah BookBlogger
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 BRILLIANT, HEART RACING,CAPTIVATING DYSTOPIAN STARS

"Never did I imagine they’d come for me. Never did I imagine all those nights I heard them dragging someone else away that I’d join them."

The book is set post World War V. The commander, a cold hearted man who wants to eradicate all sins by locking up sinners in a place called The Hole,there is no trial.He has took over the country and everyone is under his control.Anyone who speaks out against him will be branded a sinner or executed.

"You can
Sam
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

5/5 Stars

Branded is fast paced, action packed with a slight amount of gore and heartbreak. Branded gave me so many feels.

The Hole is definitely one of the last places I'd ever want to be, and it was described in such detail that I was frightened for Lexi and even a tad shaken myself. The world created by Abi and Missy was extremely terrifying.

I loved Lexi, she puked A TON but ended up super strong and badass. Also, COLEXI! I love them together, and they aren't your conventional YA angsty coupl
Kim Person
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
After reading the first Chapter that was posted ~ something I NEVER do ~ I totally HAD to read this book!!! Honestly, this is the second dystopian book I've read (the other one is part of another series) and let's just I'm ....

This book sucked me in the minute I started it ~ right out of the gates Lexi is apprehended for reasons that well made me downright

and then what she went through while being processed well I was...

and the reason why she has been arrested one of The Seven Deadly Sins would'
Rachel

I don't like to hurt people's feelings, but when I'm asked to review a book, I give my honest opinion. I agreed to review this book even though I'm not a fan of dystopian lit.

First of all, the writing was poor AT BEST. This book could have used SO many more revisions. There were a LOT of pacing problems. It was lackluster and poorly worded, not to mention the grammar problems.

Second, to me, this book felt like a rip-off of every other dystopian book I've read. It seemed like a mash-up of Shatte
AJ
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an utterly thrilling, heartbreaking, brutally intense read! I loved it!

The story is set in a future dystopian world which is ruled by ‘The Commander’. The Commander believes that the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society, and therefore anybody even accused of committing one of these sins is immediately labelled a Sinner, branded around the neck with the colour representative of the sin they have been accused of committing, and thrown into ‘The Hole’ – a horrifyingly violent pr
Heather

What would you do if you lived in a world where you were guilty if you were accused? If you were branded for life for sins you did not commit? If you were thrown into a horrible prison called The Hole to fend for yourself and fight daily to survive? This is the horror and the hell that Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki created in Branded.

[image error]

Lexi is a young woman who has been forced into the Hole and branded for committing the sin of Lust. She is immediately given a guard and escorted to h

Kendall {Book Crazy}
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
"You're amazing just the way you are. There's not a single thing I would change about you. When you smile my entire world stops. All I see is you. I need you."

For a debut novel, this one really blew me away! I sometimes cringe when I read a debut novel as sometimes authors have to find comfort in writing, but with Branded I could tell that the authors felt passionate and comfortable while writing it! I had been wanting to read Branded since I first heard about it after one of the authors approac
Chris- Bookaddict
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
STILL LOVED every minute of this book and I stand by my 5 Star review. The added material was awesome and just made the whole story even better than it already was.

Re-Reading with New updated version for Blog Tour

I am not even sure I can write a review that will do this book any justice. I will say this book was Amazing,Beautifully written, Incredible.

Abi Offered this book to me to read and review and She told me flat out it was a very gritty book ..not for the light hearted and she did not
Bella
Well first off I want to give a HUGE shout out to Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicciki ! They are two remarkable people and authors and they gave me the chance to read ‘Branded’ before it was released and I have to say I am so happy they did!

This is the story of Lexi Hamilton and her fight to stay alive in the world that was falling apart around her. She will not let them win and she will not let them take over her life she will fight! Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and he decided the
Books like this!? 6 80 Jul 02, 2015 09:56AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Branded by Abi Ketner - Start date 2nd November 7 16 Nov 07, 2014 04:03AM
BOOKBUSTERS | Boo...: [SPOILERS] BRANDED by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki 7 52 Aug 02, 2014 04:14PM
BOOKBUSTERS | Boo...: Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki 11 83 Jul 24, 2014 11:07PM
Kindle Editing? 6 50 Jul 16, 2014 11:13AM
BRANDED read-along : chapters 10-14 8 22 Jun 16, 2014 11:15AM
BRANDED read-along : * CHAPTERS 1-4 2 10 Jun 04, 2014 10:20PM
  • Moirai (Aberrant, #2)
  • Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, #1)
  • Games of Fire
  • Edge of Truth
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Switch (New World, #1)
  • Defect
  • Halo (Blood and Fire, #1)
  • Endless
  • The Devil's Reprise (Devils, #2)
  • Waterproof (The Water Crisis Chronicles)
  • Painted Lines
  • Dead of Eve (Trilogy of Eve, #1)
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Hot Redemption
  • Shattered Grace (Fallen from Grace, #1)
  • Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1)
Abi Ketner Is a registered nurse with a passion for novels, the beaches of St. John, and her Philadelphia Phillies. A talented singer, Abi loves to go running, lifting and spend lots of time with her family. She currently resides in Lancaster, Pennsylvania with her husband, triplet daughters and one very spoiled dog.

Instagram @abiandmissy

• Liberated (Sinners #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“You can overcome anything...short of death.” 46 likes
“I love you... I don't want you to ever question it. I'd give up my life for yours. That's how much I love you. Don't you dare ever doubt that.” 26 likes