Start by marking “Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)” as Want to Read:
Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)

Equal Rites

(Discworld #3)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  128,279 ratings  ·  3,670 reviews
They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to
Published November 24th 2009 by Transworld Digital (first published January 15th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Equal Rites, please sign up.

·  128,279 ratings  ·  3,670 reviews

Start your review of Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)
Patrick
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just recently re-visited this book after a couple years away from it. What's more, I've just recent re-read several of the more recent Witch novels from Pratchett, so they're fresh in my head.

Granny Weatherwax is one of my favorite characters of Pratchett's, and as an author, it does me good to see how she began as a character.

This book has some rough edges. There's nothing wrong with it, mind you, but it was still very early on in Pratchett's career, and it doesn't have the smoothness of
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with Terry Pratchett is that you keep wanting to read the good bits out loud.

In this particular case, I'd just reached the line "Her dress would have been both clinging and revealing, if it had had anything to cling to or reveal." Too late, I realized that not all the people around me were going to find this equally funny. I'm still embarrassed. Damn.

Lyn
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I was not already a Terry Pratchet fan, I would be after reading this exceptional book as we are formally introduced to Granny Weatherwax, witch.

Equal Rites, Sir Terry’s third installment in the Discworld series is a peach of practical magic. Telling the story of a young girl’s conflicting talents for wizardry and / or witchery.

In the Discworld, men are wizards and women are witches – at least that is how it has been up to the point when young Eskarina Smith sort of becomes – both. Pratchett
Adrian
This was just so incredibly funny, brilliantly written and truly a joy to read.

More tomorrow

Now I have in the past read probably a dozen or so Discworld novels and have come across some of the major players in this epic series, Granny Weathwax included, who was the star of this book. Whilst I don't remember ever actually reading this book it was wonderful to get reacquainted with Granny W.
I know that the books get even funnier, wittier and just more and more involved with the wonderful world
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, humor, fantasy
The Great Pratchett Re-Read Continues!

The third book begins the "real" development of the whole Discworld mythos, and rather than focusing on setting, it goes whole-hog (or Witch) into character and a rather deep social issue.

It is, at its core, a novel about breaking down the walls that the sexes tend to put up to keep the other side out. Witches can be wizards and vice-versa. :)

I didn't appreciate this as much the first time although I got the whole social bit perfectly... and mainly that was
Trish
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a blast!

Introducing:

Witch supreme (or that's what I'm calling her) - and that only because of her stare, to say nothing of her actual magical talents. And yes, I can totally see Maggie Smith playing her in a movie!

Esk, 8th "son" of an 8th son (on the Discworld, 8 is the most magical number), who inherits the staff of a pretty powerful wizard because - instead of listening to Granny - he is eager to pass on his wizard's staff before he dies and assumes that Esk is going to be a boy.

The
Phrynne
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This was a reread for me but it is years since my first read and I did not remember much of it!
Loved that Death popped up right at the beginning and then Granny Weatherwax made her first appearance. Of course this book is vintage Discworld and these two, along with others, appear again and again later in the series and develop into much more rounded characters. Nevertheless Pratchett's humour is here in full force along with his wonderful descriptions and clever stories.
These early books are
Kai
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2018
“A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.”

This was hilarious. I enjoyed every single page of it. If you saw me reading it, chances are high that you will have caught me cackling and giggling throughout most of the book. I never thought that I would pick up any Discworld novel but the more I read of them, the more I'm inclined to pick up another Pratchett book. They are light, fast-paced and highly entertaining.
I skipped The Light Fantastic
Melki
Similar in spirit to the first two books in the Discworld series, once again we have a delightful duo on a journey, encountering many a merry mishap on the way. This book is not as funny as its predecessors, though the plot seems more cohesive and a little less meandering.

Despite the distinct lack of trolls, this is probably my favorite so far. I really enjoyed the "Girl Power" theme to the book. At least I think I did. It could just be those darned witches using their "headology" on me.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1), Terry Pratchett
Equal Rites is a comic fantasy novel by Terry Pratchett. Published in 1987, it is the third novel in the Discworld series and the first in which the main character is not Rincewind. The title is wordplay on the phrase "Equal Rights".
The wizard Drum Billet knows that he will soon die and travels to a place where an eighth son of an eighth son is about to be born. This signifies that the child is destined to become a wizard; on the Discworld,
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 15th February, 2013. 3 stars.
Second read: 7th September, 2018. 4 stars.]

It was good thunderstorm country, up here in the Ramtop Mountains, a country of jagged peaks, dense forests and little river valleys so deep the daylight had no sooner reached the bottom than it was time to leave again.

Up in the Ramptops, the Eighth Son of an Eighth Son is about to be born, and a Wizard is ready to hand over his staff. But it seems they've all forgotten that babies can be girls as well...

I
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm fairly sure that this is only my second time reading this book since I first devoured the early books of the series back in the late 80s. Like The Light Fantastic it's forced a re-evaluation of my opinion of the early Discworld books and in a positive way.

A dying wizard passes his staff to a destined wizard, the eighth son of an eighth son. Only he was a little careless and the eighth son is actually a daughter. Eskarina Smith grows into her magic young under the watchful eye of the witch
Rob
Executive Summary: Not as funny or as quotable as The Light Fantastic, but very enjoyable for other reasons.

Full Review
I had to double check the year this was written. This book still feels very relevant today.

Wizards can only be men. Witches can only be women. Their magic is different and shouldn't be mixed. A women has no place learning to be a wizard. Witches "have their place". Does any of this sound familiar?

As someone who works in a field that is far too lacking in women the idea that
Veronique
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

“...it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.”

I started this book yesterday and found myself snatching any time I could to get back to it, even staying up late to finish it.

This was a surprise. I'm always a little reluctant when starting what is branded as a funny book, worried that it wouldn't work on me, which is why I usually go for the audiobook version - the performance and intonations of the voice artists being
seak
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I thought I wouldn't like this book all that much. It's one of the first in the series, so for many people I talk to that's already a point against it, and I had it in my head that I will like other sets of characters better than the witches.

So far, of the 3 discworld books I've now read, this was easily my favorite. Granny Weatherwax is amazing and I had some great fun with this book. I'm glad to hear this series only gets better (as it has already) and this is why I'm glad I'm
Suzanne
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Everything was a different color in those days.” “That’s true.” “It didn’t rain so much in the summer time.” “The sunsets were redder.” “There were more old people. The world was full of them,” said the wizard. “Yes, I know. And now it’s full of young people."

Boy ain't that the truth.

Terry Pratchett is so very quotable.

I enjoyed this introduction to Granny Weatherwax. I've "met" her in some of the later Discworld books, and she's a great character. This book looked at the issue of "women's
Olga Godim
A mediocre novel, at least for this writer. He’s still stretching his wings, and it shows: this earlier tale contains too much verbal clutter but almost no humor, which is abundant in his later novels. I like the idea of this one – a female should be allowed to be a wizard. Oh, yeah, I’m all for equal rights. I dislike the execution though.
Why did the author make Esk, the protagonist, an 8-year-old girl? She is too young to behave the way she does and to know everything she is supposed to know.
BrokenTune
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"There are storms that are frankly theatrical, all sheet lightning and metallic thunder rolls. There are storms that are tropical and sultry, and incline to hot winds and fireballs. But this was a storm of the Circle Sea plains, and its main ambition was to hit the ground with as much rain as possible. It was the kind of storm that suggests that the whole sky has swallowed a diuretic. The thunder and lightning hung around in the background, supplying a sort of chorus, but the rain was the star ...more
Gary
Fun reading

This is book one of the Witches segment of Discworld. The characters are lively and likable. The magic system is comedic with a dark bite. Mixed into the slapstick silliness is a grain of philosophy and social commentary that is often highly quotable and thought provoking.
The story reads like Wicca meets Harry Potter meets the theory of relativity meets The Dark Crystal. I found myself slowing down and rereading sections of the story to make sure I followed it correctly. A lot happens
Ivan
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first venture into Witches series and I don't know why it took me so long. Although this book isn't on par with my favourite Discworld books (Small gods, Jingo, Hogfather, Interesting times ) it has all the charm, humor and cynicism of a proper Discworld novel. Eskarina is great character but Granny Whetherwax wasn't nowhere nearly as interesting.

Anyway, I am eagerly continuing the series and I plan to do with Witches what I haven't done with any other Discworld series. Read it in order.

Audrey
Although the third Discworld book, it is fine to start the series here. The characters are all new. You only need to know that octarine, the eighth color of the rainbow, is the color of magic, and therefore the number 8 is also associated with magic.

This isn’t one of my favorite Discworld stories so far, though. There’s a full story arc and good characters, and it is humorous, just not as funny as the others in the series, and it started to feel long even though it isn’t.

I have a few favorite
Paul
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favourite Pratchett book yet. Had me giggling start to finish.
Kaitlin
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 3 (publication order) of the Discworld books and after having read and enjoyed both The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic last year I was quite looking forward to getting into some of the books which major fans of the series say are good. I can definitely say that this one is a lot better then The Colour of Magic in both writing style and ease of understanding. By this point it seems the Pratchett had really honed and perfected his tone of voice and writing style, just the ...more
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
I loved this book! And I've read a lot of Magical-Person-Comes-Of-Age books. Funny, touching, original, this one has it all. If you haven't read it, get thee to the library!
David Sarkies
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes a good laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Granny takes on the old boys club
4 August 2012

There are a few things that I have to say before commenting on this book as such. Firstly this is the second time that I read it, but I have listed it as a read book because when I read it the first time the friend who had lent it to me then proceeded to tell me all of the jokes. In fact, every Discworld novel that he ended up encouraging me to read generally came with a running commentary, and as such I ended up getting put off of them quite
MTK
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I am officially hooked.
Olivia
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Mediocre, but not bad. I can definitely understand why others like Pratchett's writing so much. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm not a Discworld fan. I just don't appreciate Pratchett's humour as much as I would like to. Or maybe I don't like that humour takes the centre stage in his novels and I prefer a good story. Pratchett's world is charming but not for me. After 4 novels, I'm giving up on the series.
Anushree
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was <3
The town's name is Bad Ass.
The University's name is Unseen University.
Esk has so much spunk.
Granny Weatherwax makes me laugh and proud at the same time.

I loved this sheer joy of a book.
Looking forward to reading the entire Discworld series over a period. <3
Margaret
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has Granny Weatherwax, how could I not enjoy this book?

Lovely, albeit twisted, look at academia and equality.

Fun and thought provoking.

Highly recommended.
Fedra
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, e-books
"Although Granny was opposed to books on strict moral grounds, since she had heard that meny of them were written by dead people and therefore it stood to reason reading them would be as bad as necromancy."

(English is not my first language, so you know... sorry in advance!)

Equal rites is a great word play between equal rights on men/women (and other creatures to be fair) and the magic rites. Our two protagonists are women, the first is an old witch and the second a nine year old wizard.

• Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Der rote Rächer (Die Zeitdetektive, #2)
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.” 1231 likes
“The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.” 637 likes