Start by marking “Pollen (Vurt #2)” as Want to Read:
Pollen (Vurt #2)

Pollen

(Vurt #2)

The sweet death of Coyote, master taxi driver, was only the first.

Soon people are sneezing and dying all overManchester. Telekinetic cop Sybil Jones knows that, like Coyote, they died happy – but even a happy death can be a murder. As exotic blooms begin to flower all over the city, the pollen count is racing towards 2000 and Sybil is running out of time.
Paperback, Reprint
Published April 2013 by Tor (first published January 1st 1995)

Bradley
I'm already a big fan of Jeff Noon and this novel has solidified it for me. Any problems of sheer enjoyment I might have had in the one that precedes it, in Vurt, has disappeared.

Maybe it's because I've learned the world and maybe it's because the pacing has improved a great deal and we're not forced to ride the storm of dreams from the PoV of a junkie.

This is more of a detective novel, quite similar to Noon's later novels.

It still showcases the world of dreams, a doggy world, men and women of
Andrew
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed Vurt immensely and in the same way loved this...it mentions on the cover that Jeff Noon could be considered a Philip K Dick of the nineties and though given the genre of fiction that would be a pretty fair comparison some of the scope of the unreality sequences I would say border on the visions of the likes of epic fantasists such as Clive Barker.
This was a great book that merged a recognisable future with a healthy dose of unreality that at times sailed so close to the wind that it was
Andrew
Though not as quick to grab my attention from the start as Jeff Noon's first novel VURT, Pollen left me no less blown away and grinning halfway through to its happy / unspeakable climax and epilogue. The pace is more controlled, but the eventual fireworks are absolutely worth the wait.

Set in the same nymphomaniac mongrel-blasted world as VURT, but with only the barest of threads tying them together, Pollen is as finely tuned a heap of symbols and dreamworks as you'll find anywhere, especially in
Jessica
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked Vurt better but Pollen was still a great read. The universe Noon creates is incredibly weird and amazing, and really gets your imagination into a full sprint trying to keep up!
Terry Pearce
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Started off really well, but completely lost the plot. Much less well-written than Vurt, and ultimately a lot less interesting. I'm starting to think Noon is much better at setting out scenarios than progressing them. The opening sequence is moody, gripping and intriguing, but by the time we've left the reality tracks completely towards the end, I stopped caring and only just made it over the line (and I was skimming towards the end tbh).
Nicholas Barone
Pollen, Jeff Noon's sequel to Vurt, is a good read, but ultimately didn't live up to my expectations. I definitely enjoyed returning to the crazy version of Manchester that was introduced in Vurt, but the story - while good - wasn't as compelling to me as Vurt's, and the cast of characters didn't come close to Scribble and the Stash Riders.

The plot of Pollen revolves around a conflict between the vurt and the real. Certain characters in the vurt (who are the vurt representations of the character
Leisha Wharfield
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leisha by: Riddle
"And Boda vanishes into the curve of a shadow that falls from the side of a rubbish ship that catches soft light from the moon that floats high and serene over the water that laps at the side of the canal that leads into the city of Manchester."

What more needs to be said? Bold strides into fantasy verify that this is indeed the genre fiction that my peers in the Creative Writing department have warned me against. Arrogant, even flip sampling from classic myths, strange characters, impossibly con
Jonny Illuminati
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me a long time to get through this one... Not bad, but it couldn't hold a feather to Vurt.
Rachel Adiyah
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: dnf
Vurt deserved a much better sequel than Pollen; it was a post-modern surrealist, simulated-reality science-fiction classic the day it first hit the shelves. I gave it five stars for total excellence.

Pollen is just...well, let me say that it lost me in the first ten pages when Jeff Noon started to write about "the doggy people". I mean, really? Doggy-people? "Puppy-girls"? And then the genetic medication that allows conception between species...that's not bad sci-fi, but that it is used for the l
PDExperiment626
This is the first book by Jeff Noon I've read; and, I now consider myself a fan. [return][return]This is a book that I would classify as one of the 'truer' cyberpunk books out there. What I mean by that is the setting in Noon's book plays a central role in the story itself. Make no mistake this isn't some romance, western or sleuth story thrown in a cyberpunk setting. What I like so much about this story is that Noon explores the implications of his hybrid technological/drugged-up setting throug ...more
Albert Myburgh
The first half of this book was great reading with intriguing characters, good mystery and well paced and just weird enough to make it even more interesting. The second half of it was absolute and utter waffling nonsense. It lost its momentum so suddenly and completely that I even lost any connection I may have had with the characters up to that point.
Instead of events unfolding where the reader could unravel the mysteries behind the story one simply gets exposed to page after page of mind-num
Lucas Hargis
Jeff Noon's "Pollen" is written in a very nebulous, stream-of-consciousness POV. It's one of those writing styles that requires you to chew on them for a bit until you figure out how to activate the flavor crystals.

The world is dense and brimming with layers, hybrid human/animal/plant characters, and a mutliplicity of 'dimensions'. The pace is a bit of an accordion--compressed in quick action one moment, then stretched out with leisure the next.

Pollen straddles the line between fantasy and sci-f
Kerry
Nov 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fromthelibrary
I find it really difficult to decide how I feel about Jeff Noon's work.

His future is loud and crazy and colorful and horny. And that's good. And he introduces a lot of interesting concepts. And to a large degree, he works within these concepts. However, things are so . . . just, weird, that it's hard to guess what is going to happen. On the one hand, I love to be surprised, but on the other, it feels like cheating when I don't think that I've been given enough material to be able to anticipate a
Marley
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's more like a 3.5, but I definitely don't want this looking like it's on the same level as Vurt, which I like more and more as I look back on it.

Some very cool hallucinatory plunging back into this whole Vurt world, terrifying floral invasions, '90s drugged out British anarchy, and the amazing dirty conceit of how exactly all these hybrid posthumans came to be, but the last 40 pages are so are something of a letdown. Little too much "clap your hands for Tinker Bell!" in the end, and the big b
Dennis Cooper
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read Vurt many years ago. I'm quite pleased that I waited quite some years before I read Pollen. I've enjoyed both books immensely. Out of the two Pollen is definitely the more weird/surreal. However the more weird it got the more compelling it became. Some would probably find too strange but if you want something different. I would give this book a go.
Marc Nash
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great world building and some wonderful lyrical passages, particularly when Noon is describing flowers and plant growth. Just fell down a bit in the resolution. You create a baddie so powerful he seems to have no weaknesses, but then...

Deb
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic world served with genetic cocktails and beefy beasts... that barely veils Noon's fascination with dodgy sexy scenarios :-/
Sam Reader
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok

John Barleycorn must die...

Allow me to discuss the nature of a series of books. A series is a very careful thing. Especially when escalation is involved. It's fine to do sequels for the books, or even have to break up one book into a trilogy. But when writing a volume that is something of the conclusion to the whole mess, there are two very specific guidelines: First, that the book actually make some kind of sense, and second, tha
Dave
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been about 20 years since I read Vurt but I still recall clearly what a deeply weird and wonderfully imagined book that was. Pollen is the sequel to Vurt and tells the story of the start of the war between fiction and fact; between the virtual and the real, the imaginary and the real. And the complex.

The writing is fluid. The author is clearly a lover of music, words, and the ways words can be bent to serve numerous purposes. In a universe where stories have their own lives, lives hostile
Keri
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A long time ago I read Vurt while on college break. I enjoyed for theost part, even though this is admittedly a genre that doesn't suit me very well -- I have trouble envisioning some of the sci-fi characters, items, and processes. Going off my feelings about Vurt I decided to give Pollen a try. Again I struggled a bit. I think I only have a peripheral understanding of the story and as I got closer to the end, I had to push myself to finish the book. This is what happens, I guess, when you push ...more
Vanyo666
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
OK, so I was not overly enthralled by Vurt and its brand of poetic, unscientific sci-fi, and there was a bit too much dog smell in it for my taste. But some ideas seemed worth exploring and this second book was perhaps wilder and more effective, definitely a much more interesting read for me. Will persist to the third book eventually.

It got ne thinking how unfilmable this would be and how you can get away with so much more in a book. Just saying.
Konstantine Paradias
What starts off as a promising sequel to Vurt ends up kind of losing itself in the weirdness of its own setting, with the all-too-weird nature of its characters making them almost impossible to relate to.

Audiobook Worthy: Audible has an amazing production and you'll fall in love with the narrator's rendition of 'Maverick tendencies'
A
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This books starts off reasonably well, but loses its way and kind of goes off the rails. It tries to straddle the line between a dream-like dark fantasy and a noir detective novel (of sorts), but ends up sacrificing both.

Also, the sex stuff is pretty weird!
Eugene
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not quite as adventurous as Vurt. Storyline gets a little weighted down ‘in the soil’ but still, a very compelling read.
Kate Sherrod
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
sneezing is not sexy
Lizzy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
took a while to get the hang of this, and sometimes I didn't really know what they were doing, but all in all an exciting interesting (and rather sexy-plants in places) read.
Feyyore
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Do so love Noon’s unique world. Blending dream and real.
Toby
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried so hard to get into it, I refused to give up, but in the end I was just bored and hoping for it to finish. The hard sci fi got overwhelming and I found it difficult to follow.
Colin
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I persevered with this book. It’s well written and the concept is strong, but it was too surreal for my liking.
Anna P.

• Redrobe
  • Razor Wire Pubic Hair
  • Halo
  • Blood: A Tale
  • Vast (The Nanotech Succession, #3)
  • Spares
  • Crystal Express
  • Fairyland
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Leviathan (Illuminatus, #3)
  • Everfree (Idlewild, #3)
  • Vacuum Flowers
Jeff Noon is a novelist, short story writer and playwright whose works make extensive use of wordplay and fantasy.

He studied fine art and drama at Manchester University and was subsequently appointed writer in residence at the city's Royal Exchange theatre. But Noon did not stay too long in the theatrical world, possibly because the realism associated with the theatre was not conducive to the fant

Vurt (4 books)
  • Vurt (Vurt #1)
  • Automated Alice (Vurt #3)
  • Nymphomation
“Hey!" he shouted. "This is my fucking Lake of Death. I have complete and utter exclusive rights to sailing this lake. Get the fuck off my lake!” 66 likes