Start by marking “The Call of Agon (The Children of Telm, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Call of Agon (The Children of Telm, #1)

The Call of Agon

(The Children of Telm #1)

THE LAST LINE. THE LAST WORDS. THE LAST CHANCE.

Ifferon is one of the last in the bloodline of the dead god Telm, who mated with mortal women, and who imprisoned the Beast Agon in the Underworld. Armed with a connection to the estranged gods in the Overworld and a scroll bearing Telm's powerful dying words, he is tasked with ensuring the god's vital legacy: that Agon remai
Published March 1st 2013 by Dioscuri Press

Ashley
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review and others can be seen on my blog: Book Nerd Paradise

The Call of Agon is a perfect read for those fantasy lovers who enjoy reading about fictional/mythical locations with a medieval feel to it.

The book starts off with our main character, Ifferon, as he is conversing with the head cleric, Teron. Ifferon is the last child of the dead god Telm and has been in hiding, with what I like to consider monks, for the last 10 years.

Right off, The Call of Agon starts with action. The monaster
Jonel
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Wilson embraces fantasy with a flair all of his own. The intricate world building brings forward the land and many religions within it. I loved the visual and textual differences between the different regions of this world. Wilson’s descriptions and world building didn’t stop at the visual. His world building was all encompassing. It was a fantastic experience, really enhancing the plot for me. The twists that Wilson worked into the intricate story kept me on my toes and had me hooked to the pag ...more
Aditi
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book is an epic fantasy novel..the author created a brand new world, with its history, a new race..the way the story was told is amazing..i was somehow transported to that beautiful world..i was a part of it..ifferon is a great hero..love his character so much..have recommended to all my friends..
Susan
Ifferon and Teron part ways hurriedly while battle approaches their village. Ifferon is assailed by black chasing shadows almost immediately as he and another (wannabe cleric Yavun) run willy nilly like startled bunnies. Soon, they bump into Herr’Don The Great, savior of damsels in distress, bringer of the sword, major task accomplisher, and blow hard. They all leave, running into the magus Melgales who reveals hidden things. Next enters Thalla, the lover of Herr’Don and apprentice to Melgales. ...more
Dianne
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
His task seems insurmountable, but Ifferon must assure that an ancient, yet powerful monster, Agnon remains entrapped in his eternal prison. His weapons? Powerful blood flows through his veins, he has a sacred scroll from the god Telm and he knows his mission can NOT fail. But is that knowledge a help or will it be his downfall as the weight of his quest bears down on him. They say there is power in knowledge and in friendships, when the time comes, will Ifferon’s journey end in victory with his ...more
Justin
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it

Yet another book sent to me by the author for a review :) If you couldn't tell, it always makes me feel a little more special when people want to know my opinion on something. Anyway, this time around it's the first book in the Children of Telm series, The Call of Agon. Part fantasy, part mythology, and bearing a slight resemblance to many different classic novels, TCOA is very well written and I give it 4 out of 5 stars, and I'm looking forward to the res
JeanBookNerd
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Dean F. Wilson’s The Call of Agon is the magical fantasy about the last remaining bloodline of the dead god Telm. Expelled and restrained by Telm, the Beast Agon has been kept in the dark underworld. Upon Telm’s death bed, Ifferon, a bloodline of Telm, is given the task to ensure that Agon stays banished. When the forces of Agon locate his hideaway, Ifferon must take on the journey through the strange world of Iralda to restore peace. He will run into danger and will meet a group of interesting ...more
Sky
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-be-reviewed
I have not read a great epic fantasy in such a long time, this was honestly very refreshing. Thank you for a copy of this story for a review, Dean!

The tone of this novel was exceptionally well written. It’s a poetic, dark, and adventurous tale told in the eyes of a man named Ifferon who is the last of his bloodline of the God, Telm. Telm had banished a beast name Agon to the underworld and on Telm’s death-bed, he requested that Ifferon carries the duty to ensure the imprisonment of Agon. But thi
Nika
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book starts off with the beautifully written dark poem which along with the nice cover illustration and handy map of imaginary land leaves great first impression.
(There will be quite a number of nice poems throughout the book.)

No matter complex names and locations (which actually in my opinion added more fanciness; and medieval - fantasy touch) storyline itself is exiting and non-intrusive. There is always some actions going on which keeps you engaged. The characters are different and fun.

It
Holly
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I sincerely recommend this amazing book to you...although it is fantasy it really defies categorization. Seldom can you say a new novel is unique, but Dean Wilson has his very own style and manner of story telling. Everything about the book is sound, a book complex but solidly encased. The tale flows well.

The author possesses an amazing talent for the lyrical and I applaud the exquisite poetry he seamlessly blends into the complex storyline. He is an abundantly talented poet and has used it to e
Susan Lulgjuraj
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on Books and Pals.

Agon, a powerful and evil god, is being called back to the world from his prison. Ifferon, one of the last of the bloodline of the god Telm, is one of the few who can stop Agon’s resurrection. He embarks on the journey with several companions who aid in his quest.

Appraisal:

The term epic fantasy was made to apply to The Call of Agon.
It has all the typical elements you would expect with a dangerous mission to save the world, a band of companions
Allyson
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I actually didn't finish the book, so take this review with that in mind.

This self-published fantasy series showed a lot of promise. The covers are great (not common with indie books), the description intrigued me, and he'd clearly done a lot of promotion. I haven't read a good epic fantasy series in a while, and I was keen to dive into the world this author had created.

The reason I didn't finish it, however, is that I found it terribly boring. Though the writing itself was okay, and in some spo
Victorius Promos
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Star Review

The Call OF Agon
The Call of Agon is well-written and narrated with such colorful artistry; it captured my attention immediately and the fantasy that follows quickly pulled me in and transform my thoughts to a playful state. It took me on a beautiful journey of fantasy as the characters displayed are creativity set apart for each role. The compassion displayed, the intimacy in friendship and the tension all created a picture of complete uniqueness in the writers gift to tell a GREAT STORY. The writer portrays t

✿Claire✿
Disclaimer: This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review

Right up until the end, this was going to be 4 stars. It was a really good book although it lacked a little bit of oomph at the beginning and seemed to take a while to get going. However, I was really disappointed by the ending as it cut off suddenly, it just felt really incomplete. This would definitely get 3.5 stars if I could but I felt let down by the suddeness of the ending.
Lorraine
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had to force myself to finish this. I found it to be a very tough read with almost no character development. I wanted to quit many times but kept going, hoping it would improve. All the characters speak the same and none of them trust any of the others. There isn't a single one that I was interested in. They all have so many negative character traits and no redeeming qualities. The whole story is long travels and incessant bickering and bragging with battles popping up and then ending with no ...more
David Wright
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting to give this 5 stars..

When I first began this book, I was not really impressed. I found the characters lacklustre and nothing really grabbed my attention. I always give something a chance...
After roughly 60 pages, I started adjusting to the quirks of the characters and, instead of hating them, I recognized them for typical character flaws as in any normal person. As I got further through this story, referring to the map on numerous occasions, I began to visualize the scope of
Simon Brenncke
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Agon, the outcast of the gods, is filled with hatred for the world. Imprisoned by the god Telm's dying words, he nourishes desires of vengeance. But he cannot set his plan of world-destruction into motion as long as he remains bound by the spells of the gods. He must be called by a formulae of dark magic. And truly it happens that the world is threatened by his calling.

The beginning of the novel finds Ifferon hiding in his monastery from the gathering forces of Agon. These want to make sure the
Marie-Josee Larouche
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won in the giveaways, to be a part of the first reads program.

Dean F. Wilson has a very unique way of telling this story. It’s in the way that he describes things; whether it’s the scenery or what’s happening in a situation, it’s all very descriptive in a way that makes you keep turning the page and not wanting to put the book down for even a minute.
This tale is about a man – a demi god – who is a coward and has been running from his destiny for too long and it has finally found him in his reclo
Juliana Rodrigues
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: who likes god`s mythology , fantasy and stories when the world and humanity are in danger
I received this book from the author, through the giveaways, for first read it and share with the Goodreads community my sincere impressions. Thanks Dean for the entertaining reading.
Review published in http://leiturasdajurodrigues.blogspot...

The world worships a different god now, but it is threatened by a ancient evil. The god Telm is dead, and despite his great amount of bastards, children generated with mortal women, only a few had survived these times of uncertainty.
Ifferon is a Telm`s
Gordon Strong
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing

The Call of Agon – Book One of the Children of Telm
Dean F. Wilson
The hurdle that every writer of fantasy fiction must face is that of being compared with the master of the genre - J.R.R. Tolkien. As soon as wizardry, dark forces or a pedigree of ancestors is detected, a disparaging cry will go up from some quarter. Dean F. Wilson need have no anxieties on this score. At no point in his first novel, ‘The Call of Agon’, must we endure hearing about some mediocre Middle Earth. This is an original,
Becca
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an exciting book to read. The writing is beautiful. I mean there are some descriptions I had to read over and over, just because they were put so beautifully.

Ifferon had decided to take refuge in a monastery. When he is intruded upon by a young boy pretending to be a cleric, his world is turned upside down. Ifferon is called into a meeting, and while in the meeting they are attacked.

The monestary falls to ruin and only Ifferon and Yavun, are spared at the hands of Herr'Don. Herr'Don is
Rabid Readers Reviews
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must applaud Wilson on the tone he accomplishes in The Call of Agon: Book One of The Children of Telm. There is a hopelessness and fear that frequently shines through the story-line which causes the reader to wonder if any of the characters will get out alive. That sense of suspense is invaluable and often lost in modern fiction. Action scenes are described with a deft hand. There is a separation between the action and the narrative that is chilling and further adds to the sense of urgency wit ...more
Sheila
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fantasy novel set in a well-wrought world with geography, politics, warring factions, gods, rituals and more, Dean Wilson’s Call of Agon takes readers deep into the hearts of complex characters who follow their own rules but can’t quite fathom their causes. Who is good? Who is evil? Or even, what is good? Should a call be followed, stopped or ignored? Should the lives of friends be risked for an unknown goal? And who can be trusted?

The novel is complex, as befitting its complex world. Careful
Angie
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has the huge epic fantasy feel to it. There is something that really attracts me to these types of books. I love following a character through some type of challenge that they overcome with the help of people they meet along the way.

Though it can get a little confusing at times with the different gods, it is not hard to grasp what is going on. I'm used to reading books like this so I was able to get everything pretty easily but I can see where some people may have a hard time with it.
Sheri
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Call of Agon (The Children of Telm, #1) Dean F. Wilson

Ifferon is one of the few remaining in the bloodline of the dead god Telm. Telm banished and imprisoned the Beast Agon to the dark underworld. Telm leaves Ifferon a scroll upon his death bed asking him to carry out his final wish, that is to make sure Agon stays banished. Ifferon , loyal to Telm honors his request in the outerworld but finds this may not be an easy task.

Agon find his hideaway in an isolated monastery. Ifferon has no choic
Donna
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great fantasy debut. The names and places were somewhat difficult at first, but while reading this book they become second nature to the reader.

Ifferon is a wonderful character. He starts as somewhat of a coward but rises to the occasion when his hand is forced. He is a descendant of the God Telm. He is given the task of maintaining the safety of his people from the beast Agon.

This book is full of action, suspense and adventure. It has a wonderful mythological feel to it, not in the Greek-l
Kasey Cocoa
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Call of Agon. For me this is what the fantasy genre should read like. The writing is solid and well edited. The characters feel well fleshed out and authentic with flaws and goals. I like how each character sounds as though they speak with their own voices, not the voice of the author. The plot feels fresh and well conceived with a good flow throughout the book. I expect to be seeing this author's name again. I received an e-ARC through Masquerade Tours in exchan ...more
Sam
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Had a little trouble at first with all the strange names and words but you quickly get into the flow of it. The author has a way of describing places and things so you can just picture it in your mind and you feel transported there. The characters are well written and Ifferon's adventure is exciting. If there is a book 2 then I will certainly be reading it. I received this book from the author for an honest review. I highly recommend this book.
Sara
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dean F Wilson has woven a wonderfully orginal world with intriguing characters with deception around every corner it would seem. He has a unique writing style, and amazing attention to detail, fully emersing you into Ifferon's world. I'm looking forward to the next book to find out what happens next!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Anita
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author through the giveaways for which I'm extremely grateful!
Some of the things I liked about the book were beautiful language, intriguing story line, surprises and comic elements.
On the other hand some of the dialogues sounded a bit artificial to me and the booked ended really quick (not something I like).

• A Legacy of Light (The Dragon War, #1)
  • No Return (Jeroun, #1)
  • Black Sea Gods (Chronicles of Fu Xi, #1)
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • The Light
  • The City of Worms (Everville, #2)
  • The Ancestral Key (Serpent's Treasure, #1)
  • The Last Observer: A Magical Battle for reality
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Tribesman (Tribesman #1)
  • The Guardian of Threshold (Threshold, #1)
  • Dark Nights: Metal #2
  • His Own Good Sword
  • The Orb of Truth (The Horn King, #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Maerlin's Storm
  • Jin Village
  • As the Crow Flies
USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author

Dean F. Wilson was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1987. He started writing at age 11.

He is the author of the Children of Telm epic fantasy trilogy, the Great Iron War steampunk series, the Coilhunter Chronicles science-fiction western series, the Hibernian Hollows urban fantasy series, and the Infinite Stars space opera series.

Dean previously worke

The Children of Telm (3 books)
  • The Road to Rebirth (The Children of Telm, #2)
  • The Chains of War (The Children of Telm, #3)
“your biggest enemy is yourself, your creation of barriers, your destruction of your freedom.” They” 7 likes