Start by marking “Interrupt” as Want to Read:
Interrupt

Interrupt

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  881 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
In the distant past, the leader of a Neanderthal tribe confronts the end of his kind. Today, a computational biologist, a Navy pilot, and an autistic boy are drawn together by the ancient mystery that gave rise to Homo sapiens.

Planes are falling from the sky. Global communications have ceased. America stands on the brink of war with China—but war is the least of humankind’
Published July 23rd 2013 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Interrupt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interrupt

Paul Hancock
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks
Spoiler alert: reading this book will spoil your opinion of Carlson's ability to write sci-fi.

I just can't take any more of this book. Solar micro flares causing people to black out and become zombie like. Ok, its a stretch but i like zombies. Solar flares causing autistic people to revert to Neanderthals complete with the knowledge of the environments that Neanderthals evolved in? This is just stupid beyond the bounds of fiction.

One of the main characters, a biologist, claims to be able to deve
Vix
Oct 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
The main characters were poorly written with rubbish back and ongoing stories and just didn't develop in themselves or add to the overall book/story other than to irritate.

The author would have you believe that devastating solar flares are just going to suddenly happen with no warning, despite all the boringly illogical science that is thrown at you in the early chapters, so much so I felt like I was cramming for my science exams. Oh, and said flares make us revert back to Neanderthals (which is
Jacqui
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am an armchair paleoanthropologist, so any novel that even hints at early man gets my attention. What a rich time in human history, when nature ruled and man--without the ferocious mammalian tools of claws, ripping teeth, and thick skin--survived thanks only to that most ethereal of body parts: the brain. Man's ability to problem solve--create tools, plan ahead, devise an effective hunt--meant the difference between life and death. I so love watching people invent solutions to problems they ha ...more
Liz
Aug 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book made me wish there was an MST3K for reading books. It was so bad, but I had a blast reading it and picking it apart. **Spoilers are herein**

Never mind the fact that the premise was so far-fetched that I fully expect to someday find the National Geographic issue with three articles on Neanderthals, solar flares and autism that this author used to base his plot. Done well, I can roll with far-fetched. This was not at all done well.

The characters were poorly written and didn't develop o
Ed
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very exciting story, full of action and interesting characters. My favourite was Marcus for his calculated mind (I feel identify with him ha ha!).
David
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is audacious. So much so, that I was a little scared that it just wouldn't work at all. Most readers will have to make a huge suspension of disbelief to go along with the main concept. Once you get over that hurdle, it's a fun premise and makes for some very effective enemies.

The danger is three-fold. Allow me to unfold them in the order I enjoyed them:

First, humans must deal with solar activity so powerful that it incapacitates not only modern infrastructure, but also the workings of
Eero
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interrup is a well written apocalyptic thriller based on a premise that requires rather a lot from the reader's willing suspension of disbelief. The idea has some similarities to Poul Anderson's Brain Wave, where a change in the cosmic environment suddenly increases the intellignece of Earth species, as well as to Stephen King's Cell, where a mysterious mobile phone signal turns people into rage zombies with a weird flocking behavior. In this book we are supposed to accept that electromagnetic p ...more
Alice Paqman
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of this book and it may be scientific but easy for anyone to follow. His theory is so convincing you almost believe it is what has and will happen.

The main characters are easily identified with. You can understand why each thinks and believes what they do.

I love the idea that we all retain some form dormant genes, genes that are activated by our sun. When the sun starts to repeat it's cycle that all life of the planet is affected. The idea of evolving because of the sun's cy
Nick Turner
Genocidal neanderthals (having taken over the bodies of Asperger's syndrome males - by folk mythology, neanderthals were similar to autistics) are the bad guys in this apocalyptic thriller.
Neandertala homo, historia modelo

In the prologue, set thousands of years ago, a party of neanderthal hunters led by Nim is destroyed when they meet a party of homo sapiens sapiens. In grim fantasy poetic justice, in the modern day, after strange lights discombobulate most of the population reducing them to primitive unconscious instinctive
Penny
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interrupt was a good read -- fast-paced, tense, and interesting. As the story starts, each character is dealing with personal conflicts and stress, and then the world changes, but not the issues they were dealing with. Each character has a role to play in the unfolding story, and each has a different take on what is happening (the Interrupts), what it means, and what to do about it. Those different agendas are layered over devastating reversals in everything modern humans have come to rely on -- ...more
Ray Palen
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the cover blurbs about Jeff Carlson's latest novel, INTERRUPT, finds him being compared to James Rollins and Michael Crichton. High praise indeed!

I find that INTERRUPT falls somewhere in between those two authors --- not quite a historical thriller like Rollins or as scientific ala Crichton. I found the premise more Science Fiction in nature and the best comparison to use would be FLASHFORWARD by Robert J. Sawyer. When a series of electromagnetic blasts or interrupts threaten to end all l
Adrianne Montoya
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a stinker! I am so embarrassed to admit that I finished this book. However, I review it here for the benefit of my friends. While the writing wasn't horrible (not great, but not awful), the required suspension of disbelief was just TOO much. Poorly developed characters. The plot was just inSANE, and a little insulting, both to my intelligence (and anyone else who's had more than one semester of anthropology) and to my sensitivities. I'm not personally close to any autists, but I was still o ...more
Rach
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is an interesting look at how our ancestors and ancestors' cousins might have evolved throughout thousands of years, and how some primal "inclinations" might reappear under certain circumstances. The characters were really interesting in this book, and the story is pretty fast paced. It's an easy read (beach book), and entertaining at the same time. Nothing hugely notable, and some of the theories and suppositions were a bit of a stretch. Sometimes, I feel like most authors just glance over ...more
Mikki Petersen
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Interesting concept about our sun causing massively destructive solar flares. Sounds technical but I found it quite readable without a great deal of science-speak. Good story line that kept me plugged in to the end.

I've read several reviews that say it's not technically correct. What do I know, I'm an artist not a scientist. When I'm looking for for the facts, I don't turn to fiction as my reference source. I turn to fiction to be entertained and to give me something to think about. There are p
Nancy S
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is amazingly complex. I can't imagine the research the author must have done to write it! I know, of course, that it is science fiction, but in order to make it seem real, it had to be plausible, and it is.

Pulses of solar wind affect the Earth's magnetic field, causing an on-going EMP. But unlike other post-EMP novels, in this case people's brains are affected as well. This makes for some incredibly frightening scenarios.

I was fascinated. I can't honestly say I really grasped all of it
David Leger
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book. This is a novel based on a short story of Jeff's which I really liked. He's done, on the whole, a good job of expanding this out to a full length story. As is often the case with science fiction, I had to suspend disbelief for some of the ideas here. I find it unlikely that instinctual behaviors and language survive in our genome from milenia in the past. That said, I thought the plot development was ok and the characters very well developed. Not Jeff's best work, bu ...more
Monkey
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great and fluid read. The characters were set up and filled out very well. The story revolves around a global cataclysm that removes the populations higher brain functions and anyone outside wanders aimlessly as well as nullifying or destroying modern technologies. It get's worse, a portion of the population reverts to a neanderthal like state and prove to be a very effective and terrifying enemy. All this along with the threat of global war leave the reader with a page turner very hard to put ...more
Chrystine
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story idea - Jeff Carlson takes the "written to within an inch of its' life" apocalyptic novel and spins it into a thought provoking work of current social commentary. Having said that, it's fun, exciting, and kept me up late many a night (thanks, Jeff:-) ). So it's sort of like being on a roller coaster with the folks on "Meet the Press", Bill Nye the Science Guy and R. Lee Ermey. And that's a very good thing!
Kenneth
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read and concept. Add in the fact that the sun is currently going through one of its 11 year shifts, as well as acting a little strange makes it a terrifying concept.

It is differently worth picking up and giving it a read if your into scifi and Post Apocalyptic stories and if your not what in the world is wrong with you?? :D

I think Jeff Carlson should really look into adapting this one to the big screen.
Dave
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The solar storms are "interrupting" brain patterns causing anyone outside to suffer memory loss and worse. People with ASD seem to cope better and revert to a deep seated Neanderthal like state becoming leaders of the outsiders. The rest of humanity hides undercover where the solar storms cannot reach, trapped in a pressure cooker environment, desperately searching for a solution.

Good characters, excellent ideas, and interesting science build to a fast paced finish.
Greg Tymn
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting as the action kept me turning (virtual) pages. The author developed a reasonably good set of characters (although I wasn't all that thrilled with the "touchy feely" side of the female protagonist. She gets people killed.) and a solid plot.

Quite a bit more interesting than zombie thrillers.
Anton
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent post-apocalyptic thriller / sci-fi with fun story line, good physics (even sci fi needs to be realistic and believable) and good characters to boot. Really enjoyed reading it; my ultimate test for a 5-star book is whether it distracted me from my work or sleeping. - and this one did!
Robert Franzoi
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found it very difficult to get into this book. The premise was kind of hokey and the characters got tiresome. It's a shame because this idea could have made for an interesting story had it been better executed.
Bill Paton
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book and am glad I read it. It was very original. There were some loose ends in the story that could have been tied up (such as more information about the EMP, the Chinese and how the rest of the world made out).
David Pomerico
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my books at 47North. Biased, but love it. The definition of a fun science thriller: the great "what if" adventure. This is one where I sat back and let my imagination do it's job, and the novel didn't disappoint.
Mark C
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good ideas, lots of action. Fails to ever really explain the mechanism of EMP (electromagnetic pulse) in detail which would seem to be critical to a book premised on the phenomenon. In the end, not fully satisfying but diverting. A fun, relatively quick read.
Mike Abrahams
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice. Probably like everyone else I'd love to know to what extent solar fluctuations really could be a source of extinction events.
Rbjumbob
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining read. I loved the science fiction concept that DNA and behavior are linked which can be altered by outside forces.
Tobi
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bernard Bartels

An okay read. The science, if accurate, is astounding. Eleven more words...let's see what I can think of. Yeah eleven words!
  • The Sensory Deception
  • Blackwater Lights
  • Peregrine Harker & The Black Death
  • Immortality
  • Data Runner (Data Runner #1)
  • Damocles
  • King of Morning, Queen of Day
  • Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic
  • How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors
  • New Earth (The Grand Tour, #21)
  • Ghosts of Ophidian
  • The Bible Repairman and Other Stories
  • The Dark Beyond the Stars
  • Winner - Book One: The Awakening
  • Human Legacy Project
  • Winning a Bride (Bridal Favors, #2.5)
  • Restoration: Immortality Begins
  • Dark Matter
Jeff Carlson is the international bestselling author of "Plague Year," "Long Eyes," "Interrupt" and "The Frozen Sky." To date, his work has been translated into sixteen languages worldwide.

His new novel is "Frozen Sky 3: Blindsided."

Readers can find free fiction, contests, videos and more on his web site at http://www.jverse.com
More about Jeff Carlson