Start by marking “The Kinfolk Table” as Want to Read:
The Kinfolk Table

The Kinfolk Table (Kinfolk)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  498 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Kinfolk magazine—launched to great acclaim and instant buzz in 2011—is a quarterly journal about understated, unfussy entertaining. The journal has captured the imagination of readers nationwide, with content and an aesthetic that reflect a desire to go back to simpler times; to take a break from our busy lives; to build a community around a shared sensibility; and to fost ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about The Kinfolk Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kinfolk Table

Neja
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-soul
This book...let me tell you, books like this one are something I need for my soul. I love the concept, the style, photography. I loved learning about these people, their passions... chefs, interior designer, florists, coffee roasters, photographers, singers, cheesemaker, food writers, food bloggers, nutritionist, ice cream makers, jam maker, stylists, ... all this interesting people in the same book. I admire their way of living, I adore their fashion style and what a great idea to include their ...more
Danielle McClellan
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Lovely book filled with lovely people casually draped in doorways. Many florists, photographers, designers, a few hairdressers--linen-clad elegant, serious creatures stylishly posing with one another and with food as the narrative explores their marvelous lives, their recipes, their joyous late-night meals with many close friends. This book's recurring theme is all about digging below the surface of things to spend time with friends and to communicate and share food. I get that high-minded conce ...more
Katy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
If Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbooks had a love child with an Urban Outfitters catalog, this is what their baby would look like.
Juli Anna
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This book was disappointing. I waited for it to come into the library for probably five months, and found maybe three or four recipes worth my time. At least 3/4 of the book is pictures. Full-page, matte, lush pictures of hipsters opening their kitchen cabinets, riding mopeds, and gazing moodily out the window. Some pictures of food, but not as many as you'd expect. It's organized oddly; because the recipes are contributed by hip people all over the world, it is organized by geography. Half the ...more
Elsabe
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was under the impression that I am such a lazy entertainer - I would much rather be having friends come over unannounced and cook an impromptu meal with everybody chatting and visiting. I am thankful that this book solved that little issue for me! I am happily re categorized !
Enjoying all the awesome stories of each and every one of the extremely interesting people in this delightful book!
I am South African and living in Canada. In my native language we have a word for exactly what this book
Tanya
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
HaHaHaHaHaHa! So self-conscious. And the recipes are terrible- uninspired and full of errors or adapted from elsewhere. If you have an interest in the kitchen you’ve probably tackled variations of most.

Pretty photography, but no one with a kitchen that sees heavy use would fill it with dead flowers and open shelves full exposed crockery and glassware. You’d be forever cleaning. And the contributors? So serious! Such an obsession with sweet potatoes! So much chambray! So many dead eyes!

I walked
Olya Chizh
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book for anyone who loves food and people and who values the magical and sacred moments of a shared meal. It's not a cookbook , but more of an intimate insight into the lives of dozens of wonderful people. It's an invitation to slow down and enjoy your food in good company and spirit. The reason I give it four stars is that I wish there was a more handy index at the end of the book, like, based on ingredients or a type of meal. Apart from that, I find the layout perfectly in ...more
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I get that this book is first class snobbery. And I don't know that I'd ever buy it. Unless I had money to burn. And on top of that, it's mostly a recipe for making myself feel bad about my lack of style, cookery prowess and my dwelling.

That said, there were some simple recipe/lifestyle approaches that I really liked.

And it inspires the idea of hospitality which I think is completely underrated these days.

So, I guess that means I'm a Kinfolk groupie. Don't judge.
Chessa
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking
I have never wanted to punch a cookbook in the teeth so much as I did this cookbook. Pretentious doesn't EVEN begin to cover it. Boring, pedestrian, precious...ugh, I need something to clean this off my brain. I've been wondering about the magazine Kinfolk, but after this introduction, I wonder no more. Hipsters who take themselves WA-HAY too seriously? No thanks, I'm good.
Jan 06, 2017 added it
2.5
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Interesting and simple recipes. I need to check out Kinfolk Tables other publications.

Thanks Netgalley
Ann
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
I didn't realize that the (kin)folks behind Portlandia had published a cookbook...
Alyssa
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Read: March 2014
Where It Came From: eARC from publisher via NetGalley*
Genre: Lifestyle-Manifesto-with-Recipes
Rating: 3 Shared Meals

This cookbook will always have the odd distinction of being the one where I opened it up to a random page while browsing and saw my cousin’s wedding photographer staring right back at me. Weird coincidence, right? …I’m trying to come up with some way to connect this to the cookbook itself and what I thought of it, but am failing. Basically I just wanted to share that
False
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drink
NOTES: It's obvious in reading this that the author truly understand how to use social media. His website requires subscriptions, the photographs emphasize linen shirts and homespun fabrics, weathered chipped pots of plants, fields of grains and flowers, and despite focusing on varied locales (New York, Portland, England, Denmark) the recipes often repeat on themselves like variations on granola (all beautifully portrayed and lit mind you.) Also, open faced sandwiches, sweet loaves and "vegetabl ...more
Jamie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept of traveling, talking to people and collecting their recipes. I loved the introduction, which explains the off-putting definitions of both "home-cooking" and "entertaining" as well as the description of casual evenings in college where friends gathered to cook together. That was my experience, too. Food does, and should, bring people together. While some of these recipes seem a unnecessarily fussy, I bookmarked several to use in the future.
Andra
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one definitely will find a space on my book shelf :) Wonderfully simple recipes that reach the core of sharing a simple meal with the people you love.
Darren
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
This is a bit of a quirky, charming cookbook with various culinary profiles and bon-mots about entertaining. Yet it is not cliché-central or full of rather patronising advice. Far from it!

In essence Kinfolk magazine, a quarterly journal aimed at featuring understated, unfussy entertaining, has curated a series of recipes and portraits from 45 so-called tastemasters around the world. There is no specific rhyme or reason behind the choice of recipes, other than that they are favourites which are s
D
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: folks who love quiet, grave, gray-cast days, white linen aprons, and lots of lentils
high 2 stars, flirting with a 3-star designation

a sometimes-sweet curiosity -- quiet, often grave, naturally lit photographs of the recipe contributors provide a very hipster-minus-the-sneer sensibility. i wish they'd shown more detail shots of the finished recipes (though i suspect the people and lifestyle were more important to the publication than the food itself.) there were plenty of Hands Holding Bowls of Homemade Yogurt, raw linens, and gray tones. one picture, of a couple standing cheerf
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received a review copy of this cookbook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Kinfolk Table comes from the folks (haha) at Kinfolk Magazine, a cozy, back-to-roots, folksy magazine that I might be tempted to label as unironic hipster. It reminds me of the aesthetic of the Quaker communities I went to college with, or even my own upbringing with everything homemade, nothing processed. Simple but beautiful living, focusing on getting people together.

The unique angle in this cookboo
Louise
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
The subtitle of this book should be: White People* Looking Serious.

Oh boy, what a pretentious, twee, book. But I couldn't stop reading it! I had to take a few days off each time I read a chunk to give my rolling eyes a rest, but oh my god, I can't believe this thing is real. I hesitate to call this a cookbook or a recipe book because most of the recipes are crap and don't seem tested at all. It's like if I were to write a recipe -- and if you know me, you'll know any recipe I write is crap.

But s
Carrie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This weekend, I had the chance to read the most lovely book for review. The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings is a book created by Nathan Williams, and like its sister publication, Kinfolk Magazine, this book is filled with gorgeous photography and stories of people from all walks of life.

Like Kinfolk Magazine, this book takes a less is more approach to life. Sharing dishes that people from all over the world are creating in their kitchens, this book is packed with recipes that are sim
Kristin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this as a gift, and I have always been curious about Kinfolk. The book has lovely photographs, but is poorly organized (who organizes a cookbook by cities?), and like others have mentioned, is fairly pretentious. Still though, reading it was a nice escape :)

I did mark a few recipes to come back and try. I started with the lemon drizzle cake which seemed to be a pretty standard preparation. I'm not sure why the recipe called for self-raising flour but I substituted with normal flour, b
Melissa D'andrea
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It is a beautiful book, and looks lovely on a coffee table or bookshelf.

The recipes themselves, from the ones I have tried have had some trial and error to it. The steps are either missing or serving sizes are way off. For example, the morning bread recipe does not say that the yeast will not rise if mixed in the water and milk mixture, or to add sugar to the mixture. This perhaps they think their reader is an experienced bread maker, but it took me almost a day to figure that out.

Another reci
Maureen
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food, coffee
Some of the features in this book are truly interesting. The photography is beautiful, and some of the recipes look enticing. The aeropress recipe from Heart was a personal favorite of mine.

Despite these strengths, there are also some recipes in here that are truly out of balance, and some that are just absurd. There is literally a recipe in this cookbook for oatmeal with honey and peanut butter in it, and another for a fried egg with Sriracha on it. What the hell?

Worth looking through, certainl
Molly
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was intrigued by the subtitle (Recipes for small gatherings). Caveat: I'm a vegetarian. There was little offered for my dietary world view. There was only one recipe that I even thought in passing that I would like to copy--and now I can't remember what it was.
Lovely to look at; boring to read. Lifestyle vs. food--give me good food any day; I'm not sure any of this is "good" food as I didn't get a sense of good food (read sustainable, local) from this book. Just lovely photos and folks favori
Jonnie
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really do like this book. It's a cookbook, a how-to for entertaining guests and also promotes a Slow Living lifestyle *nods* it has everything you need for the aspiring cooker/baker/entertainer.

Slow Living means structuring your life around meaning and fulfillment. Similar to "voluntary simplicity" and "downshifting," it emphasizes a less-is-more approach, focusing on the quality of your life.

This. This is what people need to do.
Georgette
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is the Muggle equivalent of 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them'. An overly-thick tome with gorgeous photographs of fairy-like creatures in their pristine habitats, detailing what they eat and giving a glimpse of how they live. I didn't finish reading this book. The date indicates when I gave up. Encyclopedias are only fun if you are very interested in the subject or if you're looking for something, which I'm neither. Stars for the photography and layout though.
John
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
less successful I think than Kinfolk Home, which had the benefit of being organized in some thematic groups & including pages from the inhabitants about how their space affects work or family or life. Kinfolk table is more spare in photography, and its thesis insofar as it is articulated is communal cooking & eating. since it is nominally homogenous there is a grouping by geography. the recipes don't engage me much & I would love to have more from the inhabitants.
Kathryn
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is almost a coffee table book the photographs are so gorgeous. Nathan Williams has traveled and collected recipes from home cooks and shares wonderful pictures and recipes. Most of the recipes are nothing I would ever make but I thoroughly enjoyed turning the pages and savoring the content of this cookbook.
Donna Nincic
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do good food, good friends, good conversation and beautiful photography make me a horrible trendy hipster snob? If so, count me in. My best memories include simple meals where stories flow, adventures are shared and you start raiding the kitchen for more to make (and the bottle of limoncello) because you don't want it to end.
  • Sunday Suppers: Recipes + Gatherings
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Whole Larder Love: Grow Gather Hunt Cook
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
  • Green Kitchen Travels: Healthy Vegetarian Food Inspired by Our Adventures
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • Home Made Winter
  • Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts

Kinfolk (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Kinfolk Volume 1