Start by marking “Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)

Waterfell

(The Aquarathi #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  725 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.
Published October 29th 2013 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Waterfell, please sign up.
Kira It is a very good book and very easy to get addicted to
Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee JonesThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyReal by Katy EvansBranded by Abi KetnerThe Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber
New Series (2013)
999 books — 2,616 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosIngo by Helen Dunmore
YA Mermaid Novels
179 books — 821 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

This book almost became one of those rarest of rare objects: it could have been a really good book about sea creatures. It came so frustratingly, heartbreakingly close. I love mermaids. I love sirens. I am always on the lookout for a really good book based on those creatures. To this day, I have yet to come across any such novels, and this book came so close to being one I enjoyed. It had a lot of the elements I search for in a novel: an enjoyably flawed heroine, a compelling plot line, a new sp
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarlequinTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

Gee, I don't even know where to begin. If you want a good mermaid book, this is not where you want to start. Heck, this isn't even a mermaid book. This book for majority of the time does not even let us see the characters under the water signing Under The Sea--we didn't even see the antagonist until the last few chapters. I can't really give any recommen
Debby
1 stars

Dear publishers and authors,

Consider the following warning label:

WARNING: This book contains instalove. The protagonist falls head over heels for the love interest in less than 10% of the novel for some undeniable and yet inexplicable reason. And after that, 90% of the protagonist's thoughts and actions concern this undying love. It will be insufferable. You will hate it. Stay away.

For the love of god. Please start using this label. Because I'm getting sick of going into these books expe
Anne
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it

This can also be seen at

Whoa!
Talk about a book being NOT what you expected! I thought this was going to go into my every growing pile of mermaid books. So color me shocked when I finally realized what Nerissa was, and where she came from.
Yeah. She's so not a mermaid.

I thought this book was heading straight into typical territory after the first chapter or so, but then it surprised me by taking off in an entirely different direction.
And I want to tell you...I really really do! But pa
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I'm going to refrain from rating because I read the first half of the book, then skipped ahead to the last couple of chapters.

I think I would have liked this a lot better had I read it when I was younger and loved fairy tale-esque stories of all-encompassing love. There's definitely a target audience for Waterfell, but unfortunately, it's not me at this time.

The last sentence of the book made me realize that I was perfectly okay with the fact that I didn't read much of the second half : I am yo
Farrah
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting. Going into this book, I was thinking "forbidden romance, mermaids, basically a standard YA paranormal romance." But, what I got was something much better. Waterfell was a wonderful YA read. Romantic, thrilling, and full of surprises. I LOVED this book!

I loved the mythology of this book. It was a new take on the mermaid-ish trope. Combine mermaid with aliens and some magic and we have the Aquarathi. It was really interesting and really well thought out. I really liked it
Jennifer Siegel
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waterfell is not a lot of things. It is not a romance. It is not a mermaid tale. It not your usual teen book. Waterfell, instead is a book about love, honor, trust and betrayal. It is a book about friendship and loyalty and about being true to who you really are. It is all of those things wrapped up in an action packed book about a race of sea creatures that can morph into human form. It is about Nerissa, their princess, who is living among humans to stay safe from those that killed her father a ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages Read: 94

Okay, I know I said I would finish this, but I'm booooored. Suffice it to say that this book is full of ill-considered metaphors, instalove, and O_o worldbuilding.
Glass
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequin, fantasy
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

And I thought this would be a Little Mermaid re-telling. I was sure Waterfell would be a retelling of Andersen's famous fairy tale about mermaid princess who fell in love with a boy and wanted to be human so she could be with him. Even after first few pages I wasn't sure, everything pointed out to that premise, but quickly I realized I was wrong.

Our heroine, Nerissa, is not human but also she is not mermaid no matter the fact that her "natural habitat" is sea and ocea
Steph Sinclair

I've been disappointed by too many "mermaid" books. I hope this one delivers.
Marissa DeCuir
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant idea for a story!! I was so fascinated by the premise of this whole other world out there us humans don't know about, but the Aquarathi all know well about us and actually send their leaders to come learn with the humans so we can all live peacefully. And the heir to the throne is having to save her people, yes, but more so the humans from the Aquarathi "bad guys."

I kept picturing this under water world, and what the Aquarathi look like. And the way the author brings up certain
Ashley
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

Waterfell barely qualifies as a mermaid book. The problem is that Nerissa has spent most of her recent life on land, so about 95% of the book takes place on land, in high school, with high school drama, and high school love interests. There are a couple snippets of mermaid action near the end, or talks about this underwater kingdom, but they don't feel real. Even the antagonist (Ehmora—the one who stole Nerissa's kingdom) feels distant and far away, because w
Diayll
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: NetGalley
Reviewer: Sarika

This book was, in my opinion, the perfect example of how a YA novel should be written. To give you a better idea of my admiration of the author, I actually began devising a list of reasons why this book (or the author) can seriously kick ass (in the best possible way).

-The book starts off brilliantly-in the heart of the conflict. Needless to say, I was raptured from the very first p
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Nerissa Marin isn’t your average teenager. She’s secretly the runaway princess of an ancient underwater world called Waterfell, sent away by her father to learn the ways of humans to better understand them. Rissa also has run away from her duties as the queen-to-be by deciding not to return to Waterfell and avenge her father’s murderer – except that her guardians still expect her to take up her crown, and when she comes of age she’s expected to fight for her kingdom.

I really liked Nerissa as a c
Colleen Houck
Jan 12, 2015 added it
Shelves: aliens, ocean
I fell in love with the Aquarathi right along with Lo. Such a fresh take on an "under the sea" adventure. Loved it!
Nancy The book junkie
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
Breanna Thompson
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Waterfell Book Review

I think this book will be the cause of my death.

Nerissa Marin looks like your average everyday 16 year old and blends in like a piece of a puzzle.
But theres a catch she is no normal human girl she is Aquarthi a sea creature with similar features to a sea serpent, She is no regular one at that she is pure blooded royalty after her father was murdered Nerissa had flee from the sudden wrath of Queen Ehmora and to settle down on the surface and act as a normal High School stud
Kristin
**Cue the sighing**

I'm so disappointed because this book had so much potential.

I don't want to write a long review because I know it's going to end up being a rant, so I'll just list the things I did and did not like.

Liked:
-The writing style. It's very simple; The author doesn't just gloss over things, yet she also doesn't pound you with too much detail. I thought it was pretty decent.
-The world. The "creatures" in the novel were really interesting and I loved the different take on mermaids (but
Dana Cuadrado
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Waterfell is definitely not the story I was expecting it to be. I was expecting a cool mermaid story that had a deeper mythology and a really strong main character. I wouldn't say I hated this book but because of my high expectations and misconceptions I ended up being turned off my this novel. It actually got me into a reading slump. I didn't want to even finish it but I was half-way through so I felt I needed to.

I was expecting a book about mermaids but what I got is a book about aliens that
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin teen and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Nerissa looks like a normal human girl, but is actually a sea-creature taking on the form of a human.
Nerissa is also royalty within her kind, and with her father murdered, she’s the rightful heir to the throne, but things aren’t that simple. While Nerissa is living among humans and going to school, someone else has taken her throne, and it’s up to Nerissa to ge
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have heard of the author and I was familiar with her writing before, since I read her other book, Bloodspell, a while ago. Although I didn't like Bloodspell a lot, I fell in love with this one. And it was a truly delightful read!
Nerissa has been hiding among humans for a long while. She has to. No one can know her true identity. That she's a princess of a kingdom under the sea. And on her seventeenth birthday, she has to fight the evil ruler who killed her father and take back her kingdom. S
Paula  Phillips
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nerissa hopes to blend in but soon finds herself loving human life and her friends. How can she leave all this now ? Four years ago, Nerissa was living under sea in her home community of Waterfell where she is a Royal Princess and next in line for the throne. As part of the royal commands - Nerissa must in order to prepare for the throne spend four years in the "human world" . Whilst living in the human world Nerissa receives notification that her father has died and soon her priorities have ch ...more
Julie Schoerke
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to let out any spoilers, so I'm very careful how I write this. But, one of my favorite aspects of this is novel is the relationship between Riss and Jenna. The author handled it really well and it's a friendship between girls that is very satisfying. There are twists at every turn in this book about the sea. I dare you not to love it!
Karielle at Books à la Mode
The laws of human attraction are new to me.
I'm breathless.
Just before I walk into the classroom, I glance over my shoulder. Lo's eyes are deep and piercing. I feel the weight of them hovering, watching. Holding me motionless as time, too, stands still. I force myself to peel my gaze away from his compelling stare, making my feet obey weak commands to enter the classroom... the one in front of the other, like a drone. Something hot pulses across the back of my neck, racing across my body, and I c
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harlequin, fantasy
I want to thank Harlequin Teen for providing me with an eARC of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

So, I knew I wanted to read this book when it was written by Amalie Howard. And then once the cover was revealed, I about fell out of my seat. And then I read the blurb, yes, I admit, on this book I read the blurb (I know I don't usually do it). But I had to see what it was about. And boy, was I intrigued. Anything
Celine
May 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, reviewed
Forgiveness releases the forgiver.

Oh, Waterfell. I was so excited when I saw that Harlequin Teen had approved me to read this e-ARC. "Maybe it's finally a decent mermaid book," I thought. "Maybe this is the book I've been waiting for." I couldn't have been more wrong. Just look at the rating - one lonely star.

I disliked the book right off the bat. Nerissa is playing a field hockey game, sees a great pass, and refuses to play it because she dislikes the girl to whom she should play the pass. See,
Alisha Tarran
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nerissa is an Aquarathi Princess, and the heir to the throne of the High Court, destined to become Queen. As a royal she has to leave her kingdom and spend 4 years living among the humans and blending in. It's during this time that her father, the King is murdered, his last message being for her to never return. When she turns 17 she will come of age, and succeed to the throne, a throne that has currently been stolen by her nemesis.

Nerissa is trying to blend in with the humans, trying to forget
Kate (Kate Archives)
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review originally posted over at The Bookaholic Blurbs!

Waterfell is pretty much a cool novel.

When I saw Waterfell's cover, I was honestly mesmerized with it. I liked how the strips of image came together perfectly. Then I learned that it's another sea creatures novel, I knew I just have to request for it. Thankful to Harlequin for granting my Netgalley request, I immediately started reading it and I must say, I enjoyed my second mermaid book. I mean, it was okay.

Nerissa is a Royal Aquarathi wh
Emily
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, fantasy, omg-instalove, ya
I was so incredibly sad that I didn't enjoy this one :(
It was so promising, with an original and unique premise! But it all had to be ruined by the characters...
Waterfell was a story that had it all; a wonderful premise, a wonderful idea, a well-thought out plot. But that was all destroyed by the hands of an exceedingly insufferable protagonist.

I loved the premise of the novel, the concepts. It was original and wholly unique. I admired the detour it took from marine mythical beings; not our
Taherah
Originally posted on Books As You Know It

MY THOUGHTS:

FIRST, OMG SUCH A PRETTY PRETTY COVER!!! The blues and how it connects as the ocean and then the hair floating plus the way the title is put on the cover IT'S JUST GORGEOUS!!!!

Ok now that I've gotten that off my chest...on to the actual story. Unfortunately, Waterfell did disappoint and wasn't as good as I expected. Mermaids have always been a story that was always on my iffy list. All the ones I've read never end up being GREAT just ok or
  • Captivate (Submerged Sun, #1)
  • Indelible (The Twixt, #1)
  • Countdown
  • Clanless (Nameless, #2)
  • The Cutting Room Floor
  • The Dark World (Dark World, #1)
  • Crystal Fire (The Hunted, #2)
  • Blurred (Kissed by Death, #2)
  • The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy, #1)
  • Surface
  • Twigs
  • Tides
  • Strangelets
  • Witchstruck (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen's Choice (Heirs of Chrior, #1)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
  • Shelter Me
AMALIE HOWARD is the author of several young adult novels critically acclaimed by Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, VOYA, and Booklist, including Waterfell, The Almost Girl, and Alpha Goddess, a Spring 2014 Kid’s INDIE NEXT title. Her debut novel, Bloodspell, was a #1 Amazon bestseller and a Seventeen Magazine Summer Read. The sequel, Bloodcraft, was a silver IPPY medalist and a Children's Moonbeam award ...more

The Aquarathi (2 books)
  • Oceanborn (The Aquarathi, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Forgiveness is a choice. You control how you respond to something or someone. You can't change things that happened in the past, but you can decide how you let them affect you.” 4 likes