Start by marking “Flight School” as Want to Read:
Flight School

Flight School

Little Penguin has the soul of an eagle, but he wasn't built to soar. With irrepressible spirit, Penguin follows his dreams to flip, flap, fly! Even if he needs a little help with the technical parts, this penguin is ready to live on the wind.
Published April 15th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Flight School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight School

Amy Rae
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
I spent the whole time going "but you can swim, Penguin, c'mon!" Which is obviously the wrong reaction here, but even when the critter splashes into the water, there's no acknowledgment of how great penguins are at the actions they were actually built to do.

This one was pretty slight, and on principle, I shy away from "I have the soul of a [different species]!" text. (Thanks, otherkin.) I wouldn't recommend it except to the most penguin-happy children--and even then, Salina Yoon's work is a muc
Michele Knott
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Great book with a couple of lessons - it's about being determined to teach a goal but it's also about accepting help from your friends. I love the penguin's tenacity and positive attitude.
My favorite line, "He'd just needed a little help with the technical parts." I understand. I always need help with those parts!
Zahrah Al-Merei
An adorable book about a penguin going to flight school, containing within a brilliant message that encourages children to work hard and persist in achieving their dreams. With beautiful illustrations and a great humour about it, this book is definitely one to have on hand.
Kaethe
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute concept and execution, but A Wish for Wings That Work as book and special are holiday favourites with me, so I apparently can't clear my mind and see this book on its own.

Library copy
Bookishrealm
I read this in about 5 minutes. It was definitely cute, but not that greatest story line. I guess the message is definitely about trying you hardest to reach your dreams even when they seem impossible. The artwork was definitely my favorite part.
Terri Curtis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-book
The pictures were beautiful and we loved the spirit of the penguin ( who has the soul of an eagle!). He never gives up and gets a friend's help to fly. He stays upbeat and positive, which is a great lesson for kids. This would be a great mindset book. The end was a little hard for young ones to understand.
Sarah Hannah
I am ded at this penguin's glasses.

But the hint of spirit animal stuff makes me supes uncomfortable.
Ana LibrariAna
The baby penguin, claiming he was hatched to fly, travels to flight school determined to start flight lessons. When the flight teacher responds to that by saying:  "But you, dear, are a penguin", the Penguin simply said "Undeniable, but I have the soul of an eagle" , and that was that - his flight lessons started immediately. With boisterous spirit, the little penguin follows his dream to fly. Even if he needs a little help with technical parts, this little penguin is determined to soar on the w ...more
Heidi-Marie
I love the works by Lita Judge. This is the first one with text, but still great. Very good message, sweet and funny as well. Should work well in storytime. LOVE the pictures, of course. They're one of the best things about her works. Lots to see up close, but still will work in a group setting.

1/14/15 Used in Birds theme. Worked having this after the Puffin book, because they'd just learned/heard that penguins can't fly. I think they liked the pictures. They laughed at the end. Could have been
Jenny
I loved this little book. Penguin wants so badly to fly...but his body isn't built for flying. Despite his difficulties, he doesn't give up. He has teachers who work with him and believe in him. He has persistence and determination to have the chance to soar like an eagle. And he accepts help from others. It's a winning combination....one that students could also use to overcome their challenges. Plus, I love the darling illustrations. Fairly certain I will use this as a Book of the Month select ...more
Melanie
When it's time to sign up for flight school Penguin joins the rest of the group. Even when the teachers tell him that they don't think he was meant to fly, Penguin insists that he has the heart of an eagle. Ok, say the teachers and flight school begins.

Each of the birds takes their first flight. Everyone does well... Except for Penguin, who landed right in the ocean. He heads home dejected and forlorn. Suddenly Flamingo calls him back. Maybe what he needs is a little "technical intervention."

And
Pam
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book despite having a rather practical personality that says use the talents you have and strongly disagreeing with the adage, "You can be anything you want to be". But who couldn't love this adorable determined penguin? The best part is end! A great book to help teach children the value of determination and the need for perseverance!
Kayla Edwards
A cute story about a little penguin who just wants to fly like all the other birds. I found the ending particularly amusing. A fun read aloud.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
I loved the concept and the illustrations, but something in the execution didn't work for me.
Whitney Rachel
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have the soul of an eagle, too, Little Penguin.

Cute book about dreams/goal and making them come true.
Shelley
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, picture-book
Another delightful, beautiful, and fun book from Lita Judge.
June
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Requests about living your dream, birds and penguins
Penguin has "the soul of an eagle." With the help of the flight school he manages to soar on the wind. Love the ending.
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a penguin wanting to fly. I liked the solution they found at the school for him - even if it opened things up for a whole new project at the end.
Tjohnson
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! A great story of friendship, compassion and perseverance.
Bailey
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a little penguin who wants to learn how to fly because he has the "soul of an eagle." He goes to flight school where the other birds try to no avail to teach him to fly. Finally, one of the birds has an idea and they come up with a way to let penguin soar high up in the sky.
I thought that this was a very cute book. My favorite part are the watercolor illustrations. The full page illustrations are very bright, colorful, and eye-catching. The characters are colorful and full of
Debbie Smith
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
When Penguin spots a sign that says, Flight School We Teach Birds To Fly, it’s just what he needs, since he feels he has the soul of an eagle. Unfortunately, Teacher and Flamingo aren’t so sure about a penguin flying. Penguin insists that he has the heart of an eagle, so they let him start flight school. After much practice, it’s time for all the birds to take their first flight. But when Penguin’s turn comes he plonks straight down into the water. “I’m sorry, birdie,” said Teacher. “Penguins ju ...more
Viviane Elbee
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The kids and I loved this story - so funny, great illustrations and a terrific ending. Plus, Penguin's got a fantastic way of phrasing things... Like "I was hatched to fly."

I think kids can relate to this penguin, because so many people dream of flying. We can understand why this little penguin wishes to fly. (After all, the human desire to fly led to the invention of hot air balloons, airplanes, helicopters, rockets etc... )

I think the message about finding a creative alternative solution to a
Debra
A great book about doing everything you can to achieve your dream. Penguin "has the soul of an eagle", but has a few problems with the technical side, which is he is not built for flying. I loved the way his friends helped him to achieve his goal. The ending of the book will be a little hard for young children to grasp - very large bird who wants to fly just like penguin. The only thing that disappointed me was that when penguin did his first leap and went straight down into the deep water, the ...more
Emma Hendrix
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dr-smith
Little Penguin has a heart for adventure. His dream is to fly high above the clouds. He sets out to join a flight school, filled with talented flying birds. He tries and tries his hardest to do everything he is told to get himself up in the air. As a penguin faces difficulty with being a bird that doesn't fly. But with the help of his friends, he eventually finds himself flying high in the wind. And soon he wants every bird that wasn't born to fly to have the same experience.
With so much heart
Ian McHugh
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Garrett Tatro
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230b
Such a cute book! The story is great and the illustrations are even better.

I would use this in a classroom in a number of ways. It is a great book for kicking of a discussion on animal habitats and body structures. It would also work for work with comparison and contrast (penguin with the other birds). Finally, I would use this in a class meeting setting to discuss how we are each different, good at different things, and yet, with the help of others, we can do anything.
Ashley Klausmeyer
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this children's book and I thought it sent a really good message to kids. I believe that this book could give children hope that they can accomplish anything they set their minds too. A lot of children can relate to this book, they may have their heart set on something that they need others help with.
A great story about following your dreams, even when they seem out of reach. Penguin, despite having the "soul of an eagle," is still unable to fly on his own. Friendship, bravery, and accepting reality while still dreaming of more are the themes of this fun little story. And the illustrations are wonderful!
Leila
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple and fun, I am thinking of using this in my class for the student who said during our Growth Mindset unit when I said there was absolutely nothing my Kiwis could not accomplish with effort and perseverance, "I will never be able to fly." I love this book for the simple fact that it defies all physiological limitations and encourages children to dream big.
Rebecca Gomez
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is super cute and is sure to make kids chuckle. The illustrations are a lot of fun, and I especially like the spread that shows what happens immediately after Penguin tries to fly for the first time. The end of the book is a cute and clever surprise!
  • Froodle
  • Henny
  • Ribbit!
  • Peggy
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • The Nowhere Box