Start by marking “The Book of Someday” as Want to Read:
The Book of Someday

The Book of Someday

Three women. One stranger in a shimmering silver dress. Whatever binds them together has already destroyed one life. It just might consume them all.

Someday, Livvi Gray will break free from her past. Someday, she will escape her recurring nightmare about that stranger in a shimmering silver dress. Someday, she will have a family of her own. Now she's found Andrew, and somed
Published September 3rd 2013 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Someday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Someday

Start your review of The Book of Someday
Book Concierge
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
ZERO stars

Livvi refuses to use her given name of Olivia because it brings back memories of a terrible childhood. She is a novelist and living in the guest house of a Pasadena mansion. Micah is a wealthy and famous photographer living in Boston. She’s convinced she must atone for the terrible things she did in her past. AnnaLee is a Long Island housewife and mother, married to a man who is brilliant but lacks the motivation to succeed, and as a result she is slowly selling off her family heirloom
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
The Book of Someday is much more than a simple coming-of-age story and it is more than a mystery: it is a story that gives voice to neglected, lonely children who carry the scars of a dismal childhood at the hands of selfish parents or guardians long into adulthood. It is a story of making mistakes and atoning for them, and of seeking forgiveness - or not. It is a sad but ultimately hopeful story about growing up and becoming a better version of your lonely, neglected childhood self.

In 2012, Liv
Lorine Kritzer
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Natasha
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Never judge a book by its cover. We all know the idiom well. However, I am afraid, that on this occasion I did judge the book by its cover. A beautiful and interesting image and a title that really appealed to me: The Book of Someday. How much possibility lay in that title, yet how disappointed I was with just about everything else.

There are three narrators in this story. First there is Livvi; an introverted writer who comes from an abusive background. Next, Micah; a world famous and renowned p
Robin Reynolds
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
The prologue is somewhat mesmerizing, with a young girl named Olivia hiding from her father and stepmother, shivering in the cold while she waits to see if they will look for her. Then suffering when they find her.

Then Chapter 1 starts, with that little girl grown up, going by the name Livvi. And it's not as mesmerizing anymore. The book alternates chapters between Livvi, Micah and AnnaLee. Three separate stories that you know will eventually run together or interconnect in some way, though the
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Can your childhood affect your entire life?

THE BOOK OF SOMEDAY connects the lives of three unrelated women. Three women with different backgrounds and different lives. Three women with pasts, secrets, and regrets. Three women wanting and needing something that they never had before and are desperately trying to find. Three women looking for answers and an answer to why and to what happened.

Micah, AnnaLee, and Livvie were somehow connected, but what was that connection? Had they met at one point
Allyson Bossie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting. I got this book in the mail, and it was like the cover was calling my name. I had attempted to start reading another book, but just couldn't get into it, and grabbed this book. I didn't want to put it down at midnight when my husband made me so we could sleep. I picked it up first thing the next morning, and I laid it down when I was done.

It's mesmerizing because the book is about three different women, in totally different circles in life. The chapters bounce between one wo
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to { U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y } by: Given to me for an honest review

- My Description -
Three women, all different but very connected.

Their stories are told from different years and different times in their lives.

You're introduced to Livvi, AnnaLee and Micah.

As a child, Livvi did not have the perfect life.
She's older now, and has moved on to better things.
She meets a love interest.
Her darling love interest has secrets which she soon finds out.

AnnaLee has a good life with hubby and baby daughter.
Well, except for one thing, her husband doesn't like to work.
She
Ampersand Inc.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dot-s-reads
I really enjoyed this book. You get the stories of 3 different women and wonder how they will all tie in together- and what a great journey it is getting to that. The story stays with you after you turn the final page – having dealt with love, loss, regret and that whole great mystery of life. The characters – sheltered Livvy, famous photographer Micah and housewife and mom AnnaLee don’t seem to be connected at all but they are – by a shattering event that changes everything.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Dianne Dixon's second novel, The Book of Someday, is an intriguing story of three women bound by secrets and lies, forgiveness and redemption.

At nearly thirty, Livvi Gray still bears the emotional scars inflicted by her abusive stepmother and disinterested father. Then one evening she is swept off her feet by Andrew, a charismatic and wealthy man. Livvi blossoms under his attention, convinced she has finally found someone to love, who loves her back. Livvi is naive and vulnerable, invoking imme
Libby
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'The Book of Someday,' by Dianne Dixon intersects the lives of three women and takes place in 1986 and 2012. Olivia, in the beginning of the novel, has hidden from her father and step-mother in an attempt to elicit their proclamations of love. Dixon begins the novel with this sequence, and the reader senses the intense alienation the love starved child, Olivia, faces in a home that is not only bereft of love, but is at times intensely cruel. Olivia views the neighbors, the Grangers, as idealisti ...more
N.
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of The Book of Someday from the publisher and put it off for a while because of the multiple viewpoints (which have become so common that I'm just a bit weary of them). As it turned out, the jumps back and forth didn't bother me all that much, possibly because it's just a bit different from the more common version with one historical character and one contemporary.

The Book of Someday is the story of three women with interconnecting lives. The key to their interconnection is a
Selwa
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, arcs
I started this book a few days ago. With high hopes. I got it from BEA -- years ago. Didn't pick it up until now. Would I like it? My heart started pounding.

Selwa
New York, 2016

I had just cleaned the fiction section of my bookcase. Removed the books. Dusted the shelves. Replaced the books lovingly. One of the books fell over. I started yelling, and was about to storm out of the room. My boyfriend looked into my eyes, said "I love you." My knees got weak. Had to sit on the bed. He brought me tea.
Selena
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This book would've been a lot better if it was written in a different way. The writing was so fragmented. It seemed like every other sentence. Was written. Like this. It was so choppy! There were way too many sentences that began with the word "and." Not to mention all of of the sentence fragments. The tense was also grating...a weird combination of past tense and present tense that led to more telling than showing.

As for the actual plot...

SPOILERS

I did not understand Livvi's relationship with
Susan Johnson
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the story of three different women, none of them very happy. Two of them had painful childhoods and one a hurtful marriage. As each separate story unwinds, you are drawn into their stories that keep you turning pages to discover what will happen next. I found I put everything aside for two days as I simply couldn't put it down.

Livvi, the central character, has a horrible childhood. It has left her defenseless to face the world. She has no real experience in relationships of any
Erin
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Kristin Hannah, Jodi Picoult
Recommended to Erin by: Goodreads
4.5 stars.
"Some people are defined by what they're looking for. Others by what they're hiding."

I am a reader that loves when a writer can strike at my emotional core and Dianne Dixon does just that. It is very rare that I say this but this is one of those books where I wish I had the author's personal phone number. Only because I want to tell her how much I was affected by this book.

I was immediately hooked to this story as the narratives of these three women- AnnaLee, Livi, and Micah play
Judy D Collins
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dianne Dixon's THE BOOK OF SOMEDAY is a well-written complex, and in-depth story of love, forgiveness, love, deception, suspense, mystery, and abuse.

The story of three women Micah, Anna Lee, and Olivia (Livvi) –all with a past. During the reading, readers are unsure how these three are connected.

It is only at the end, the unveiling. Vivid and compelling story of three women whose lives are mysteriously connected.

Dixon does an outstanding job of suspending you in time and building for the fi
Cheryl Michulka
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the first chapter and thought "Oh, it's one of THOSE books". Then I read the next chapter and I thought "Wrong, it's one of THOSE books". And I kept reading, and I was wrong yet again! This was not a book to be pigeonholed, unless the pigeon hole is "don't want to put it down good book". I can't wait to share it so I can talk about it with friends. ...more
Holli
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. So much so that I read it slowly in order to truly savor it. I went into it thinking it was going to have a magical supernatural basis (which at times it almost seemed to) and I sat back and let the story unfold. I didn't try to guess the twists or figure anything out and I was truly delighted and surprised. The author seamlessly wove the characters and events together and if it was a movie it would be one of those movies that when it ends you say "I need to watch ...more
Christine
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
It seemed like there're many stories going on at once and none of them had anything to do with each other....until the end of the book. Even the end of the book in my opinion left you with questions.
This mainly was a story about a young woman named Livvi and although the book had much going on with other characters it all makes sense at the end. I would not have guessed how it all came together in the end. Try it you make enjoy it.
Michelle
The Book of Someday opens up with a chilling glimpse into a lonely little girl’s nightmarish existence. From there, the reader moves to strong-willed, no-nonsense Micah and a crushing diagnosis that changes everything. Lastly, AnnaLee enters the picture as a loving wife and doting mother struggling to stay upbeat about the disappointing provider her husband is turning out to be. These three very different women lead distinctly different lives but their stories twist and converge in a poignant co ...more
Kirstin
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
www.justtoomanybooks.wordpress.com

Olivia grew up with a father who was physically present but emotionally and mentally checked out. Her stepmother was physically, emotionally and verbally abusive. Now an adult,  Olivia has turned her experiences into a novel that is selling well. But she still anticipates that everyone she meets will hurt and reject her.
When she meets Andrew at a party, she is charmed by the handsome stranger. He wins her over with romantic trips and expensive gifts. But is he
Patty
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book pulled me in from the very first sentence. Livvi is a character that pulls so many emotional strings. She is the center around whom the book revolves; Livvi and her nightmare of the woman in the shimmering dress and the pearl button shoes. There are other characters - two women, Micah and AnnaLee - and the men in Livvi's life - her father and the two men vying for her love.

Livvi is a very complicated woman. She was brought up by an emotionally absent father and an abusive stepmother. S
Diana | Book of Secrets
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book kept me reading until the wee hours of the morning. Absolutely riveting! THE BOOK OF SOMEDAY is about three compelling characters, Livvi, Micah, and AnnaLee, who are mysteriously connected by a woman in a silver dress and pearl-button shoes.

Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different woman. As their stories are told, small pieces of the puzzle are revealed, leading up to a poignant conclusion. Livvi, the survivor of emotional and physical abuse as a child, is longin
Lindley
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
On paper, I should have loved this book. A story weaving together three women's lives and dealing with the far-reaching consequences of a single event is something I would typically enjoy. However, in this case I enjoyed the story more in concept than execution.

For me, splitting the story between three women kept me from ever feeling that I really knew or understood any of them. All three women had complex back stories, and I would have preferred to delve deeper into what made them into the peo
Christine
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as an ARC from Sourcebooks. I was warned right from the beginning that I would need to set aside a good chunk of time so that once I started I could finish all at one time.

I wish I had listened.

I read this book in bed. On the couch. In the bathroom. On my lunch hour, in the tub, everywhere I could read it until I was done with it. I read it even when I should have been working on my own writing.

It is very well written and suspenseful, and once you start figuring things out (or th
Kat
Sep 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
How did I request this book? Did it get a good review in the NYT? Anyway, I started reading it and it does grab you with the neglected child vignette, and then goes on to alternate between 3 women narrators. We find out how they are linked at the end. Olivia/Livvi: where do I begin? A best-selling writer who seems to have no brain waves whatsoever. Micah, who is a total caricature and AnnaLee who is so sticky sweet and yet so down on her husband for not "being a man", i.e. earning money, that it ...more
Rachel (Confessions of a Book Geek)
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5

As a fan of Picoult I can see where the comparison is being made. The story was intricately woven and kept me guessing for quite a while. The characters have a depth and a realism that allows you to fully immerse yourself in the story. I didn't find it was "un-put-downable" in the sense that it wasn't a page-turner for me, at least not until the end, but I really enjoyed the story, certainly one to make you think.
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the entire book in about two sittings....the beginning was a little slow as I was trying to keep track of characters and timelines, but the last half really sucked me in because I was trying to figure out how all of the characters fit together. I usually guess pretty quickly, this one took me longer (which is a wonderful thing). As I kept finding out new details, it was fun to connect them back to bits I had already read and reevaluate each character.
Rachel
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dual time narratives can be really cumbersome sometimes, but not so with this novel. It maintained a perfect balance between the narrators and included just enough connecting details to keep me guessing throughout as to how the characters might be related. And I wouldn't expect to remain dry eyed through this one either. ...more
DC Public Library: May 10-24: The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon 4 33 May 28, 2013 05:41AM

• Year of the Dog
  • East Coast Girls
  • The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11)
  • West End Girls
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
  • We Never Asked for Wings
  • The Deep End of the Ocean (Cappadora Family, #1)
  • Daughter of the Reich
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta, #7)
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
  • Girl in the Rearview Mirror
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta, #6)
Dianne Dixon (winner of the Humanitas Prize for Excellence in Screenwriting and double Emmy nominee) regularly received glowing reviews for her work in television: “Her characters dance off the page.” (Jane Hewland/Sky Television, UK) “An enormously gifted writer.” (LaVerne McKinnon/CBS Television) “Her knowledge of storytelling is both clear and articulate.” (Nate Hopper/Sony Pictures).

Now Diann