Start by marking “The Fir Tree” as Want to Read:
The Fir Tree

The Fir Tree

The tale is about a fir tree so anxious to grow up, so anxious for greater things, that he cannot appreciate living in the moment. The tale was first published 21 December 1844 with "The Snow Queen" in Copenhagen, Denmark by C.A. Reitzel. One scholar indicates that "The Fir-Tree" was the first of Andersen's fairy tales to express a deep pessimism. ...more
Published October 28th 1970 by Harper & Row (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Fir Tree, please sign up.
Joe Bruno
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Fir Tree
Bionic Jean
I think I am going to have to stop reading anything by Hans Christian Andersen, and go on to something more light-hearted and optimistic, such as Russian literature perhaps (insert icon for irony here). But here goes ...

The Fir Tree is a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, published in 1844, at the same time as his other deeply pessimistic tale "The Snow Queen" link here for my review.

And now I find I can't bear to relive this story in much detail, in order to review it properly. But I'll
Ines
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sorry, but this story is terrible😐, poor tree!
Trish
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like to read lots of Christmas-y things during the Advent so I perused the internet to find „new“ things and discovered this special edition of Hans Christian Andersen’s tale.

The tale itself, which I had known already but still enjoyed greatly this time around, centers around the titular tree who is so anxious to grow up, so anxious for greater things (like ending up as the mast of a great ship), that he cannot appreciate living in the moment and when he finally is used for „something great“,
Candace Robinson
First, the edition that I received has a spectacular cover! I have never read anything by Hans Cristian Andersen! I loved the illustrations, and wow the story itself was a depressing one. It had me feeling pretty sorry for the tree! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20... ...more
Jana
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, classics
What a great reminder to appreciate and enjoy each stage of life! This is a short story & a must read!
Annamaria
Lovely read about our need to be able to appreciate things as long as we have them. Also very, very sad. Plus, the cover for this edition is stunning!
Bettie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: BBC radio listeners
Out in the woods amongst his many large companions, a little fir tree is keen to grow up.

Listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/...

2* A Country Christmas
3* A Killer's Christmas in Wales
5* A Child's Christmas in Wales (re-visit for nth time)
3* The Fir Tree
Lara Maynard
"Out in the forest stood a pretty little fir tree."

This story is more disconcerting that cozy, so if you're looking for a sweet Christmas tale, then don't look to The Fire Tree. It was one of my favourite Christmas reads this holiday season, and one that I'd pick up again. I found this vintage 1970s Harper & Row edition at a local library and enjoyed the book design and illustrations, along with the story first published in the 1840s.

SwedishGeekGirl
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sad but still a beautiful little tale fitting for the winter times.
The fir tree by Hans Christian Andersen get a 8/10 stars.
Dela Knight
Original Review on: http://pastriesandnovelthoughts.weebl...

So, let's start with the outside of this book-it is stunning. The book itself, The Fir Tree, is a lesson on appreciation. Appreciation of what we have, who we are and the things we are surrounded with. It's a beautifully sad story but an important one. In this book we learn to enjoy life and the little things in it. You learn to understand that taking your days for granted can make life pass you by without you even noticing.

Even though
Fern Adams
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sort of story that while read often to children, I feel you get more out of as an adult. A little fir tree full of hope and optimism leaves its forest and becomes a Christmas tree- but what happens once Christmas is over? There are a number of messages in this; don’t take anything for granted, learn to appreciate each stage of life you are in and quite possibly don’t have a real tree for Christmas!
Sarah Coller
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Besides Wuthering Heights, this has to be the absolute most depressing book I've ever read. As soon as I realized where this story was going, my heart began to beat faster with dread and fear. Warning: it ends badly. I hope someone else can find some redemption in this pitiful tale. As for me and my house, we shall purge the book. ...more
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gundula
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Out in the woods amongst his many large companions, a nice little fir tree is keen to grow up. Read by Paul Copley.
Pratyasha
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danish, 2019, school-reads
A beautiful (a bit gloomy) story that gives a moral that we hear almost every day, but mostly don't give much thought to. Stop for a moment and enjoy the rustling sound of tree leaves or the sound of the rain, the sight of the plain blue sky or that of dark grey clouds above your head. Be grateful for what you have at this moment because you never know if the future will be better or worse. Having high expectations of what the future holds for you might only upset you eventually.

I need to start
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
About: The Fir Tree is a fiction picture children’s book written by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by Tiina Nunnally, and illustrated by Sanna Annukka. This book is the First American Edition, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House in 2004, hardcover, 42 pages. This title was originally published in 10/28/1970 titled Grantraeet.

Summary from the book: A little fir tree realizes too late that it did not appreciate the grand momen
Abigail
The Fir Tree, illustrated by Bernadette Watts.

Bernadette Watts - who has also illustrated Hans Christian Andersen's The Ugly Duckling and The Snow Queen - turns her attention to his melancholy arboreal "biography" in this lovely picture-book. Never content with his present lot, always looking ahead and wanting more, the titular fir tree is unable to appreciate the true meaning of the events of his life, from being made into a Christmas decoration, to being stored in the attic.

After finding Watts
Abigail
The Fir Tree, illustrated by Nancy Ekholm Burkert.

Originally published in 1844, as part of Hans Christian Andersen's New Fairy Tales, The Fir Tree - like The Little Mermaid and The Snow Queen - is one of the author's original creations. The story of a young tree who is unable to appreciate present blessings, because he is always looking forward to future glories, it displays that unmistakable melancholy found in so many of Andersen's creations, and concludes with the little fir's sad dem
Bice
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely short tale... glad I read it in audio.
Joey Woolfardis
First and foremost, the story itself isn't anything particularly grand. It has a moral and I can view how, at the time of it being written, it was a wonderful and perhaps innovative. There's an imagination here that you don't always get in stories (even those that are deemed successful or popular). Having said that, there's really nothing splendid about the story and any kind of magic that one may expect from a Christmas story just seeps away after the first few words.

However, I will include pr
Suzanne
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i love the moral lesson of it. it is ,maybe, very sad to many, but isnt it just life telling us to never rush things and appreciate every minute we have? if i were to tell it to a child i think i will choose a perfect timing to it.....it maybe too depressed for his/her personality.
Lesle
The Fir Tree is about a tree that starts out as a little sprout. All the action that takes place around him he thinks he wants to grow up and leave the forest like all the other trees.
When finally he is chosen and his limbs stay intact, he is so excited about being a loved and decorated tree with a gold gilded star made of paper is placed at the top.
The servants carry him up to the attic to be left, but in the end the Tree dries up, is sawed into pieces and is set on fire.
Sad little Fir Tree :(
Jeimy
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving fable by Hans Christian Andersen which illustrates the old adage, "be careful what you wish for…" Reading it in the 21st century, it takes on ecological and environmental themes as well.

Thanks, NetGalley, for introducing me to Sanna Annukka's stunning artwork! This one will also make its way to both my personal and classroom libraries.
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
Always loved Andersen's tales, and the illustrations by Sanna Annukka make this edition so freaking gorgeous! ...more
Anna of Mleczna River
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
How I'd summarize this short story is to seize the day! Live in the moment. It's a sad story (mind for kids!) about a fir tree that wants to grow taller and older to achieve great things. The young fir tree lives in the future - thinks that his happinness is to come with age. However, little does he know that with growing older,come different responsibilities and danger, in his case, being chopped down and taken to a mansion to dress as a chiristams tree. He enjoys being dressed up in sweets and ...more
Angela
I cannot rate this tale because I am torn between giving it five stars for being such a meaningful, emotional little story, and one star because it breaks my heart everytime. The Fir Tree, The Little Matchgirl and Snow White are the stories that haunted me to the point of melancholy and nightmares as a young child, but I actually quite forgot The Fir Tree until a couple of years ago when by chance I read it to my daughter. Each sentence I read aloud came with a deep sense of foreboding. We got t ...more
Cheryl
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is why I don’t do “live” trees for Christmas. I pull the same little fakeness out of its box, plug it in, and feel no remorse!

A little fir tree is growing up in a forest, observing and aspiring. Envious of the bigger trees, wanting more. Curious as to where some go when taken away.

One holiday, he is big enough to be a family Christmas tree. Off he goes and enjoys the bedazzled night of adoration. But soon enough, he is stowed away until spring where he is taken back outside, and... well, i
Stephan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of Andersen's best stories
I really loved the message
It is so much true and relevant for people who wish to achieve something in life. It was a Carpe Diem message, enjoy life, live the moment
I also enjoy the melancholic style Andersen used. Brilliant Story.
Natalie
“Oh, had I but enjoyed myself while I could have done so!”

A well done tale about why you should take the time to live in the moment, rather than looking to bigger and better things at the expense of what you already have.

Short but sweet, with a good takeaway message.

3.5 / 5
Tarissa
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this would be a cute little story -- but it turned out to be exceptionally sad. Oh dear! Still is a good story for its literary merit. I listened to the audio version narrated by David Tennant, which is done very well.
Leaflet
The story's a downer but the illustrations are wonderful. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Nightingale
  • Christmas at Red Butte (Illustrated)
  • Nutcracker
  • Betty's Bright Idea
  • The Gift of the Magi
  • Tomten på Töreby
  • The Christmas Tomten
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)
  • The Christmas Masquerade
  • The Cat on the Dovrefell: A Christmas Tale
  • The Christmas Tree and the Wedding
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories — called eventyr, or "fairy-tales" — express themes that transcend age and nationality.

Andersen's fairy tales, wh