Start by marking “Backward Glass” as Want to Read:
Backward Glass

Backward Glass

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Crack your head, knock you dead, then Prince Harming's hunger's fed.

It's 1977, and Kenny Maxwell is dreading the move away from his friends. But then, behind the walls of his family's new falling-apart Victorian home, he finds something incredible--a mummified baby and a note: "Help me make it not happen, Kenny. Help me stop him."

Shortly afterwards, a beautiful girl named
Published October 8th 2013 by Flux (first published October 1st 2013)

Anne
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow!
For a debut book, this was really quite good. I wasn't sure what to expect from the story when I first picked it up, but I certainly wasn't expecting to become so engrossed in Kenny's story that I didn't want to put it down. I'm thinking the author is going to make a nice splash with this book.
First, let me say that although this is a YA book, it reads like a coming of age story that adults can easily relate to, as well. So, if you normally shy away from this genre because of melodramatic
Dark Faerie Tales
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: One mirror, every ten years a kid is picked, but not older than 17, and time traveling begins.

Opening Sentence: “Here’s what you need to know: You’re my son and you’re something like negative twenty-two, because that’s how long it will be before you’re born.”

The Review:

Kenny is 14 when his parents buy this old house that is a total fixer upper, and while cleaning out the place and checking everything out he stumbles across a dead baby and a
Jennifer Weiser
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by NetGalley and FluxBooks

Fantastic debut! My mind is still spinning with it all! I’m a huge fan of Doctor Who and of course I jumped on the opportunity to read Backward Glass. I read this book in less than six hours. That’s how mid blowing it was!

Right from the first page you are sucked in. How can you not? The book starts off with a set of seven rules that are meant to be followed. Next it opens to a prologue that seems as if it might be a letter from Kenny (main character) to hi
Neil (or bleed)
"Time travel gives me a headache."

When one of my Goodreads friends shelved it as 'wants-to-read', I didn't hesitate to do too so since I found the cover beautiful and the blurb seemed interesting. And to tell you, this is really an interesting book like, seriously. And the writer's such a great storyteller that Backward Glass really caught my attention, my interest.

In general, the plot was fantastic, compelling and engaging. And I can't deny the fact that I am really hooked to that since our m
Harold Chester
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd never heard of David Lomax, but the premise of this novel sounded good so I picked it up. I'm glad I did. This YA sci-fi novel has time travel, action, realistic dialogue, and a great mystery/puzzle plot. It's emotionally engaging. And this is Lomax's debut novel. I'm looking forward to more from him.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Backward Glass from Flux Books via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Very well done time-travel story.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
[See the full review at thoughts and afterthoughts.]

Rating: 4.75/5

Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr spoiler-less version:

-If time-travelling is your niche, this is a pretty stellar read.
-A suspenseful, thought-provoking literary piece that will have you trying to fit the pieces of a puzzle.
-Characters are generally relatable and can be rooted for.
-Definite information overload (and voids) at times that with persistence will come full circle; hard work pays off.

Initial Thoughts:

What th
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Initial Thoughts/Rambling: My first thought when I started this book: I have not watched nearly enough Doctor Who for this. And then, isn't that a paradox? Wait - can they do that? What are the rules of the mirror again? Ugh, my head hurts.

BUT, despite the effort I had to make to keep all the wibbly wobbly timey wimey bits straight, this book was an incredible pleasure to read and I'm so glad I stuck through to the very end, because now I have a new favorite book!

Disclaimer: I was given a fre
Christine
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Looking for a time traveling sci-fi novel with exciting twists and turns? BACKWARD GLASS is definitely something you should pick up!

After discovering he can travel through time in an old mirror, Kenny, with the help of the travelers from the past and future, goes on a whirlwind adventure to save a baby from dying and to capture a crazy man of legend. The plot was very fresh and unique and had my attention from the get go. I loved the concept of this backward glass and Kenny, Luka, and the other'
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have never really been a huge time travel fan but the blurb for this book really had me curious, so I had to give it a try. Though at times I felt a bit confused it really was an enjoyable book.

Kenny is from 1977 and when his family moved into their new home it contained a old carriage house. One day Kenny and his father was working on the carriage house and they opened up a wall and found a baby wrapped in newspaper. A piece of paper dropped from it and when Kenny picked it up it changed his
Natasha
I'm still struggling to find words best to describe this book. This is actually not a bad thing because the book left me quite speechless and I did not expect to love it but I ended up totally awed by it.

Backward Glass is all sorts of amazing, frightening and confusing at times with teenage angst and a big mystery thrown in. You get a whole bunch of teens chosen to be time travellers through a mystery mirror/glass and of course without their meaning to it, chaos does ensues as result of such adv
Jenny
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
The teaser was really promising. And I am actually very excited during the first few chapters of the book. It has a mixture of thrill and mystery. Hell who wouldn't be thrilled when at the first chapter, the main protagonist seen a barely 3 day old mummified-like baby? Not to mention a very disturbing note to himself?
Yeah, It was really good at the start, but as the story goes on.. the excitement and thrill was replaced by confusion and lots of questions left unanswered.

First is the Characters.
Camelle
The book is so exciting! I love the time traveling and it has a lot of adventures where I obviously enjoyed. I love how the main character tries to change everything just for his friends. I also love the twists of the story, it's like I'm solving a puzzle. It's awesome!
Chelsea
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Time travel... Done right! :)
C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons
Read more: http://www.sarcasmandlemons.com/2013/...

Do you love nursery rhymes? Of course you don't, they're creepy as hell. Which is why they make the perfect backdrop for this eerie time travelling mystery that starts with a dead baby in the wall and ends with a startling revelation. Now, time travel can get janky, but Lomax does it well. You can only travel 10 years up or back. Only between the Mirror. Only Mirror Children can go. And nothing can change. Lomax does a damn good job of twisting
Celeste_pewter
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Laura P
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This review and others like it available at confessionsofanadultteenreader.blogspot.ca

I’m a chronic note taker when I’m reading something that I will review. A subconscious tell that I absolutely love a book, is when I become so engrossed, that I completely forget to take notes. I didn’t write down a single word while reading Backward Glass.

When Kenny Maxwell’s home flipping parents buy the old Hollerith house – a home notorious for the disappearances of the kids that live there – an entire se
Jennifer Sundt
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love love loved this book because of the deep, brooding mystery inherent in the premise of the plot: there is a mysterious mirror that allows time travel to happen. There's a killer out there who appears intent on eliminating all the time travelers in their respective time brackets. And, of course, there is a frickin' dead baby found inside a wall wrapped in some newspaper from 1947.

With great complexity, the story flourishes into a multi-layered and oftentimes confusing string of events that
Natalie
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was really intrigued when I picked up Backward Glass. The idea is that this mirror exists that allows certain people to travel forward or backward in time 10 years. Lomax sets up a excellent little set of rules that control how the mirror operates that prevents people from moving back and forth willy nilly and help to drive the plot along. The main character, Kenny Maxwell, lives in 1977 and happens on the mirror inadvertently after his family moves into an old house and he and his father disc ...more
Jessica
In 1977, Kenny Maxwell finds a mummified baby wrapped in newspapers in the wall of the carriage house on his family's new property. Along with it is a note written _to him_ asking for his help to stop it from happening. How can he stop something from happening in the past? He soon finds out when he meets a girl - Luka - who's from 1987, ten years in the future. There's a mirror in the carriage house that lets a chosen kid visit ten years in the past, for one year, every ten years. It gets a litt ...more
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I was pulled very quickly into this book. I found it a really good read with interesting characters and a plot that made me want to keep reading to find out what was going to happen.

Time travel is always a bit of a sticky thing to use as a plot device. I think falling into the parallel universe thing is always a danger - and then, of course, there are paradoxes; or the butterfly effect,
Stephanie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens who like time travel
I love the time travel genre, and this one did not disappoint. This is the story of Kenny who moves into a house in 1977 with his parents. In the "carriage house," which is a second little house on the property, he and his father find the bones of a long dead dead baby wrapped in Kenny's t shirt and newspapers from 1947.

This starts Kenny's journey with the Backwards Glass, an indestructible mirror in the carriage house that allows a chosen teenager to travel back in time 10 years. He gets a not
MiMi
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
It all starts with a mirror. A simple thing that let's you see yourself. Or does it? Every ten years, in a year that ends in seven, the mirror will choose a kid to transport to ten years in the past. There are rules that come with this however. And you only have a year to solve the mystery of prince Harming.

I know right. Prince harming is the cheesiest name I have ever heard. However this book is pretty good.

Now usually I don't read time travel books. Why? I always overthink it. I don't know wh
Jo
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
My advice to people reading this book is to pay attention. You need to read closely and remember names and the year that they live in. I powered through and made out ok though. This is the first book in awhile that had a male protagonist. It was great to see a guy who was one of the good guys. I hate how the bad boys are always glamorized like they should be the role models for our girls. It seems to give the message that if only you love him enough, he will change or that underneath the bad boy ...more
Caj
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know when you read some conspicuously placed anecdote in a novel and you just KNOW right away that it was put there on purpose and, surprise surprise, it turns out to be important? I can spot those from a mile away. i pride myself on how fast and easily my mind picks up one of those and its like pulling a thread and the entire book's plot unravels. Oh my goodness there were so many in this book that I missed. Because you read along and there's so many threads that you think, 'there's just no ...more
K. Lincoln
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Boy discovers he can time travel with the help of a mirror. Boy discovers rules of the mirror, limiting what he can do. Boy discovers mysterious message telling him to save a baby--and then finds a dead baby hidden in the wall of the house he just moved into.

There are a lot of time travel calculations, to-ing and fro-ing from time period to time period (but all constrained within the area of the house) and action galore. Because of the vast time covered, as well as some constraints of the plot w
Neil Higgins
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This is a book with something for everyone. There is time travel, a mystery, coming-of-age and an antagonist who has passed into local myth..

The lead character, Kenny, is lucky enough to be the 'chosen one' - the one child from 1977 allowed to travel backwards and forwards through time, via a mirror (don't let this put you off!).
He is soon dragged into an adventure, trying to solve a decades old mystery and put things right,
Karyl
I picked this book up on a whim, visiting the new YA fiction shelf at my local library. I'm not supposed to be doing that, as I have so many books on hold, but I couldn't resist the blurb on the back of the book.

And WOW. I was just blown away by this book. It's not for the faint of heart, as it takes some thought to keep everything straight with all the time travel, but it's so well written that even if the reader gets a little lost, it doesn't really matter.

I really loved how Lomax was able to
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In 1977, Kenny's dad makes him move to a creepy old house that totally deserves its reputation, because he immediately finds a dead baby inside the walls. He also finds a note asking him personally to save the infant, which makes a bit more sense once he discovers a mirror that lets him travel through time. There are some incredibly complicated rules governing its use, but the end result is a network of teens at ten-year intervals dedicated to solving the dead baby mystery without getting killed ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's the Name o...: Title of Time-Travel Book [s] 6 51 Feb 08, 2014 06:43PM
  • Endless
  • Relativity
  • Hero Worship
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • Backwards
  • Finding Home
  • City of Secrets (Saskia Trilogy, #2)
  • Future Shock (Future Shock, #1)
  • Arms of Anu (Arrow of the Mist, #2)
  • Only Half Alive (Only, #1)
  • For the Good of Mankind?: The Shameful History of Human Medical Experimentation
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • The Case of the Good Boy (Bad Machinery, #2)
  • Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord, #1)
  • War Brothers
Born in Scotland and raised in Toronto, David Lomax divides his time between four great passions – writing, reading, teaching high-school English, and his wonderful family. He lives in Toronto with his awesome wife and three precocious children.

His debut novel, Backward Glass is out now from Flux Books.

David, the author and teacher, is now offering FREE Lessons/rubrics (gr 7-10) & Questions fo