Start by marking “Pirouette” as Want to Read:
Pirouette

Pirouette

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Adopted as babies by two different families, Simone and Hannah have never known they are identical twins. Simone has been raised as a dancer, but she hates performing. Hannah loves nothing more than dance, but her parents see it as just a hobby. When the two girls meet for the first time at the age of fifteen, they decide to swap places to change the role dance plays in th ...more
Published November 8th 2013 by Flux (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pirouette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirouette

Layla
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pirouette was a well written book with an amazing plot. From the start it captured me and I couldn’t put it down. I have read and re-read this book yet still I feel like it is the first time!
It starts off when identical twins Simone and Hannah are in a Brazilian orphanage, about to be adopted from different families living in different continents. A kind nurse switches another baby so that Simone and Hannah were both going to Melbourne, Australia.
Then fifteen years later they are both dancers a
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Pirouette just didn't do it for me. At first glance, a Parent Trap-style twins-seperated-at-birth premise just seems too fun to pass up. Factor in the fact that they're twin ballerinas sent off to dancing summer camp (dancing + summer camp too of my favorite story things) where they meet for the first time this book just sounds like it's full of win.

It's not. The problem with this book is that it expects you to set aside your suspension of disbelief way beyond what is possible AND the main chara
Martha Nobles
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, netgalley
I received the ARC to Pirouette and I was immediately drawn to the beautiful cover. I couldn’t wait to read this book. The story was cute and entertaining. It’s a quick read at 312 pages but it is well written story about two sisters finding each other. For those who love the Parent Trap and the show Dance Academy- this is the perfect novel for you to read.
Jess Best
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
literally just remembered this from when i borrowed it from a dance friend like 3 years ago...
kari
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2014
I loved the author' first book, Dancing in the Dark and, on the strength of that one, I was sure I'd also love this one. But no. This one has a feeling of detachment from the story, as if the author doesn't care about these characters. It feels more like she was paid to write this book and so she did. In her first book, I felt the passion for telling the story, felt the connection, felt the characters hopes and dreams. Sadly, that is lacking here.
The story has been done before, even being refer
Talya
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgia Lienert
Recommended to Talya by: Layla
Pirouette was a really good book. I was about two identical twin sisters who were separated at birth and found each other at a dance summer camp. This book is different to other books written by this author.
The book starts at the orphanage in Brazil, where the two twins are only a couple weeks old. They have been adopted and one is going the Melbourne, Australia and one is going to Dallas, Texas. The orphanage nurse finds another baby with similar weights and sizes that is going to Melbourne and
Paula  Phillips
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

The day that Simone and Hannah were to be born, their parents were on their way to the Brazilan Hospital when their car was struck and the father was killed immediately , but the mother was barely hanging on. The hospital decided before she passed to deliver the babies - two identical twin girls. These girls though at six weeks were separated and sent to two different homes, but by the hand of one of the nurses - they both ended up in Melbourne, Australia. The story then skips to fifteen years l
BookCupid
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One woman's trash is another woman's treasure.

Hannah and Simone, identical twins separated during an adoption process, meet after years of being apart. Both of them have different family lives; different personalities. And yet they share a special love and hate connection to dance. To make things simple, they switch places so Hannah can dance at a specialized school, and Simone can relax from the twirls. What's the worst that can happen?

Although the plot might resemble The Parent Trap, Bavati s
Cass -  Words on Paper
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

OMG!

I loved DANCING IN THE DARK so, so much.

The cover and synopsis suggest that this book will be a lot more light-hearted, with many more laughs and smiley moments. I love identical twin switcheroo stories. :) I really like dance in fiction and I'm glad that Robyn Bavati has written another dance-related title!
Isabellah_E2
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I would recommend it to everyone that loves dancing. It is about two dancers that meet up and realize they are twins. They want to switch lives because one person loves dancing the other doesn't. If you have ever watched "The Parent Trap", it is slightly similar but not quite. It's a really good book!
Robin
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute spin on The Parent Trap.
Nicole Pon
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it was very predictable and girly, but I loved it. It was such an easy read, I wasn't struggling to finish it.
17boudifa
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reall good book. Any dancer will love to read this book. It's full of funny moments and I was never bored or uninterested in reading it.
Belinda Martin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A ballet version of the Parent Trap.
Mieneke
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my (not so) guilty pleasures is watching dance shows such as So You Think You Can Dance and films such as Step Up and Honey. So when Robyn Bavati's Pirouette came across my radar during my prep for last summer's anticipated books posts, unsurprisingly it set off all kinds of "you have to read this"-alerts. And well it should have, because it was just as entertaining as the best episodes of SYTYCD, those where there are choreographies that make you cry they're so beautiful and emotional an ...more
Francine Soleil
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
more of a 3.5, i think. review posted here: http://alwayslostinbooks.wordpress.co...

Thinking Parent Trap? Funny enough, Robyn Bavati mentions that movie in the book. Maybe we can think of this as a retelling of one of our childhood movies (if you’re part of my generation anyway). It’s quite different though despite the few similarities. I think that Robyn Bavati knows her teen movies because she made a lot of references to them in the book. I particularly like pop culture references so that was
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Once in a while I pick up a book solely because of the author. I've read a book by that author before, loved it and decided to just go ahead and read whatever comes next. That's how it went for Pirouette. Besides knowing that this book revolves around dance (I mean, duh, the title and the cover!) and that Robyn Bavati wrote it, I didn't pay any attention to the synopsis. Maybe I should have. I expected something deeper because that's what Dancing in the Dark was. While Bavati's debut novel was s ...more
Kelly Woodward
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I love books. I love dance. So a book about dance? Right up my alley, I figured. And I figured right.

Pirouette is about identical twins Simone and Hannah, separated at birth when they are adopted by two very different families. Neither girl has any clue that the other exists until they meet as roommates at a summer dance intensive when they’re fifteen. At this point, the girls are in very different stages of their dance training: Simone yearns to quit, but her mother insists that she pursue a ca
Bookworm1858
Source: Received an e-ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adored Bavati's debut Dancing in the Dark so I was thrilled to see another work from her, especially because it also focused on ballet. Performing arts books are one of my weaknesses so it was a no-brainer that I'd want to check this one out too. Unlike Dancing in the Dark, this is a much lighter tale. It had some good moments but ultimately failed to make much of an impression on me.

The plot is pretty easy to describe (t
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and Netgalley.)
Identical twins Hannah and Simone were split up when they were adopted by different families from a Brazilian orphanage, but thanks to a nurse at the orphanage both ended up in Melbourne Australia.

Now 15-years-old, both girls have a gift for dance, but while Simone attends an exclusive dance academy, Hannah has only been allowed to dance part-time as a hobby.

When they meet at a dance
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Also published on my blog at http://snugglingonthesofa.com/book-re...

I selected this book to read because it looked like a fun middle grade. I enjoy books and films about dancing, so this certainly sounded like a book for me.

From the blurb alone it is obvious the similarities between this and the well known film The Parent Trap (and the lesser known It Takes Two). Basically where twins are separated at birth, meet at some sort of summer camp and decide to swap lives. As a side note, I never real
Samantha
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this book was enjoyable, it felt a little more flawed than the other book I read from this author. With this book, identical twins Simone and Hannah are adopted into separate families when babies. Dance is what causes them to meet when teens, and they decide then to switch lives, each wanting what the other has.

This idea has been done before, but it's still a fun one, and so I decided to give the book a chance. It was enjoyable and the tension of their secrets and a fear of discovery is wh
A Book Vacation
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
To see my full review:

This is a great MG read for anyone who absolutely adores The Parent Trap and/or ballet. When I was a tween, The Parent Trap was one of my favorite movies and it made me wish I, too, had a twin sister. I wanted that same bond and to be able to do awesome switch tactics like the girls did in the movie. Now, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been less enamored with the movie, but it’s still my childhood favorite, so when I saw the synopsis of P
Nisha Vyas-Myall
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book- so much so that I devoured it in less than a day (which is rare for me these days). The plot involves two things I love- twin stories and dance.
Honestly, I felt the writing style a tad amateurish in places (which is why I deducted a star) but overall is was very gripping and readable- the mark of a good book is to sit down with it and clear 100 pages without even noticing, and I definitely did that. I guess I am a little overly critical with writing style, being a
JoLee
Simone and Hannah are identical twins who were adopted shortly after their birth. They meet for the first time at dance camp where they swap places. Simone needs a break from serious dancing, and Hannah wants to convince her parents that dancing full time is right for her, so after the camp ends the swap continues.

Pirouette is a perfect book for fans of The Parent Trap. And really, who is not a fan of The Parent Trap? Also, dancing. Lots of great dancing. If you are a fan of The Parent Trap and
Luna
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Pirouette is the first book I’ve read by Robyn Bavati and I don’t imagine it’ll be the last. It’s an easy read with likable characters, there is a clear distinction between Simone and Hannah and while it’s not exactly hard to predict how this story will end I wasn’t bored while reading.

Das doppelte Löttchen (aka The Parent Trap) I remember from years back, I actually have the original German book in the loft. Pirouette re-invents the story with some key differences, mainly how the girls were spl
Anne Hamilton
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, australia-nz
Utterly improbable… but so much fun!

Brazilian twins, separated at birth, are both adopted by different parents from Melbourne. Simone goes to a single woman who has just lost her fiancé and Hannah winds up in an exuberant Jewish family. Simone’s neat-freak mother is ambitious for her and pours her time and energy into ensuring her daughter attends the best ballet schools money can buy. Simone has come to dread the all–consuming discipline and totality of commitment needed to be a top dancer.

Hann
Charlie
I'm sorry, but I just did not like this novel. The premise sounded interesting enough, but I found the execution of it completely unrealistic and generally disappointing. The romance was sappy and the related dialogue bordered on disgusting.
But what I most disliked about this novel was the implication that single parents families are poor, uncaring, pushy and completely oblivious/uncaring of what their children want while two-parent families are loving, warm, accepting and 100% supportive. Plea
Samantha
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I feel as though I should begin by saying that I am the biggest fan of The Parent Trap - both the Hayley Mills version and Lindsay Lohan's version. I love It Takes Two with the olsen twins and I used to rush home from school to watch Sister, Sister.

Needless to say, I was head over heels in love with Pirouette's storyline! It took a modern - and Australian! - view on the incredible story and Bavati completely weaved it together and made it something very unique.

If there was ever a replay version
Briamber Mcervale
Pirouette tells the story of Simone and Hannah, two identical twins who were adopted by different families but who have a chance meeting at a prestigious dance school. Learning of each other's dreams, the two girls decide to switch lives to change the role dance plays in their lives; Simone hates performing yet is raised as a dancer while Hannah desires to be a full time dancer but her parents only see it as a hobby. Although aimed at 11-15 year olds, adults would enjoy the story too :) I loved ...more
  • Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always
  • Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy (The Bolshoi Saga #1)
  • Streaks of Blue
  • Swan Boy
  • The Shadowed Onyx (Diamond Estates, #3)
  • For the Forest of a Bird
  • Someday Dancer
  • Notable (Smith High, #3)
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • The Silent Swan
  • One Perfect Pirouette
  • Are You Seeing Me?
  • Promise Me Something
Robyn Bavati lives in Melbourne, Australia. She is married and has three grown-up children and a cat called Chino, who likes to sit on her lap when she reads.

Robyn has so many favorite books she can't possibly list them all. Right now she's loving The Family With Two Front Doors by Anna Ciddor and The Waiting Room by Leah Kaminsky.

More about Robyn Bavati

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)