Start by marking “The Economics of Microfinance” as Want to Read:
The Economics of Microfinance

The Economics of Microfinance

The microfinance revolution, begun with independent initiatives in Latin America and South Asia starting in the 1970s, has so far allowed 65 million poor people around the world to receive small loans without collateral, build up assets, and buy insurance. This comprehensive survey of microfinance seeks to bridge the gap in the existing literature on microfinance between ...more
Published May 26th 2005 by MIT Press (MA) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Economics of Microfinance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economics of Microfinance

Start your review of The Economics of Microfinance
Theresa Leone Davidson
After a somewhat reckless youth, in which I spent too much and saved nothing, I learned, relatively early, the importance of money, investing it wisely (and conservatively), and living well, well below my means, in order to save the maximum. This, by the way, was learned by watching others: my parents when I was young (but from whom I did not learn enough, otherwise I wouldn't have been reckless later on), and a very good friend, Sharon M., who knew how to save and inspired me to do the same, ...more
Thu Nga Le
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
On the surface read for those who are fresh to the topic
Jesse Morrow
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Good intro into Microfinance. Specifically a text book geared toward a grad student or someone with at least Intermediate Microeconomics. It takes a fresh look into the realities of lending, scale, financing, management, gender bias and even subsidies.

Great clear eyed view. But if you haven't had at least two semesters of microeconomics, I'd probably skip this and only read Yunnus's Banker to the Poor.
Chase
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you want to understand microfinance, this is a great place to start. It helps you understand the fundamental economics issues microfinance grapples with and has a balanced view of the success and limitations of microfinance.
Megan
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: not the feeble-hearted
A great text-book or reference book, masterfully written, but certainly not to be undertaken lightly. It unfortunately killed discussion at my microfinance book club for mostly laymen and women - too technical for that forum, as most might guess from the title.
stephanie
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: edu
you might not actually enjoy this too much unless you're really into econ/development and have very little idea about microfinance, but it's staying on my must-read list. non econ ppl might prefer billions on bootstraps.
Andreas R
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
  • Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma Built
  • China's Disruptors: How Alibaba, Xiaomi, Tencent, and Other Companies Are Changing the Rules of Business
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • The Economics of Development & Planning
  • Managing the Millennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today's Workforce
  • Macroeconomics
  • The Bravehearted Gospel: A Life Consumed with the Power of Christ
  • A Billion Bootstraps: Microcredit, Barefoot Banking, and the Business Solution for Ending Poverty
Jonathan Morduch (born October 3, 1963) is a professor of public policy and economics at the Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service. He is a development economist most well known for his significant academic contributions to assessing the impact of microfinance since the early years of the movement. He has written extensively on poverty and financial institutions in developing ...more