Start by marking “The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders” as Want to Read:

A diet plan proven to relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive disorders—presented by the world’s leading experts and tailored to you

“A must-have survival guide”—Gerard E. Mullin, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of Integrative GI Nutrition Services at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

“What can I do to feel better?”
Published August 13th 2013 by The Experiment (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet

Start your review of The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
Anne Fabing
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've searched countless books for the information contained in this one stop resource on digestive disorders. Besides recipes provided to modify your diet, this book goes into detail explaining the difference between food sensitivity, food intolerance, food allergies and doctor diagnosed Celiac disease, IBS and other digestive disorders. Since my daughter has been following the recommendations included in this guide, her health has improved noticeably. We are still working on finding alternative ...more
J.F. Penn
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
When you love someone with chronic pain, you're always looking for things to help. This book has given me renewed hope of solving IBS pain in my family. Reading the first few chapters were potentially life changing. We're only on day 3 but things are improving already.
Corey
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first part of the book was super informative and so much more helpful than my doctor was. She said to look up Low FODMAP online and try it out. Awesome. She also told me to drink prune juice but if she knew anything about the diet she would know that is not really a good idea as prunes/prune juice is high fodmap, but I digress...(Clearly not bitter here). I gave the book an overall 3 because I didn't really like many of the recipes, as far as a resource for the diet I think it's really good, ...more
Eman
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
My doctor first told me about this diet in April when I was having a really bad stress IBS flair up during my college final exam week. The pain was so bad I was miserable. She gave me an article to read about FODMAPs and I still refer to it all these months later. I then saw this book displayed at my local library months after talking to my doctor and I thought that it wouldn't hurt to read it. I'm glad I did cos it has such good info about IBS, even if it is mostly educated consensus about why ...more
Katie Cat Books
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful. Educational. Recipes where I don't have to convert anything.

The book begins with a how to and why of how fodmaps work in a person with IBS versus ordinarily. It compares the differences between different allergies, sensitivities and the why's behind those.

The authors are a dietician with a PhD who herself has celiac disease, and an MD from Monash University who specializes in gastroenterology. For those who don't know, the fodmap universe revolves around Monash with their website, app
Ashleigh
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource

This book was given to me by the Gastroenterology Department at the Seattle VA, when I was being evaluated for Celiac disease. I’m so impressed by the content and recipes that I also purchased the Kindle version, so that I can do advanced meal planning away from home, check needed ingredients and the like.
For anyone who has Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity issues, I strongly recommend this book. Background, clear explanations, and a large collection of useful recipes that also
Larry Kenney
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, reference
This is a really good book for anyone who suffers from IBS or IBS like symptoms. It explains in easy to understand detail how the foods you can may be affecting your health. It gives you lots of information to see what kinds of things are in the foods you eat, and helps you to work on figuring out which stuff is causing your issues, and then cutting them out of your diet. The recipes included in the book are easy to make, and don't require a culinary degree to pull off.

The book doesn't come off
Linda Kimpton
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a must-have for anyone with IBS, and extremely useful for people with other dietary restrictions too (due to diabetes, Crohn's, IBD etc). Not only does it cover the basic science and explain the need for diet change with these conditions, it also provides daily meal plans and has some great looking recipes. My only complaint would be that I found some of the information charts difficult to follow or apply, and I would have liked an easier to use index or chart to locate information ...more
elaine
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great help.

I was at a loss as to controlling my ribs symptoms, especially sudden episodes of diarrhea. I was already on a gluten-free and lactose-free diet.. My doctor told me I am hypersensitive to additives, gluten,and lactose intolerant.
I purchased The Complete Low FODMAP Diet to help me identify common food triggers for IBS. I was amazed with the information and began the elimination diet plan immediately. I kept a detailed eating diary and followed the instructions. My condition improved
Mickey
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-exercise
If you have IBS, this diet is probably for you. I do believe they have finally figured it out. However, this has to be the most complex diet I have ever seen. It is not like other diets that typically remove whole food groups like sugar for diabetics or wheat for those that have wheat alergies. One will need to keep this book or a low-fodmap phone app with them when ever they eat something or have a great memory to remember the foods one could or should not eat.

Yea this is a book that will
Sheila
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book exceeded expectations. It is useful to know what foods are trigger foods for IBS and which are okay. It was confusing though to discover that certain foods were rated both suitable and unsuitable in the tables e.g. blackberries! It is because of this confusion that I can't rate the book higher. However, the recipes in the back of the book are good - I have already tried and tested one, as are the meal plans. A very worthwhile buy for IBS sufferers.
Ivana
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was informative, and short enough to read in an afternoon. Gives several lists of high fodmap foods to avoid, and suitable low fodmap foods. Except for onions and legumes it's not too restricting.

The recipe section leaves something to be desired, though. Most people just don't eat those things - that's one thing I usually find irritating about a lot of cookbooks. I'm not a chef trying to have a fine dining experience in my home. I want simple easy recipes for everyday.
Peg
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
There is some good info in this book--although not helpful with my condition. There are good recipes too. Unfortunately, almost all of them are corn based and I am allergic to corn. So, I'll be selling this one at the used book store.
Monica
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
If you're new to FODMAP intolerance this has good information, except at least half of the recipes rely on dairy, which is one of the ingredients to avoid so I found it ultimately of little use.
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a recommended book: see instead /The IBS elimination diet and cookbook/ by Patsy Catsos, which has more general information, more specific information about FODMAP categories, and better instructions for trialing foods.

This title has some useful basic information about IBS, but the low-FODMAP diet is not clearly presented. Foods are listed under individual FODMAP categories, but since many foods call under 2 or more categories, users would have to check for each food in several places. Some
Lucy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have IBS this is a solid, well-researched, scientifically documented approach to managing symptoms. The lists are helpful as are the suggested elimination and re-entry diet approaches. Finally, the recipes look tasty and do-able. Now, when I'm through this latest flare I'll look forward to having the energy to cook and bake some of them!
Cyndi Scheuher
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book describes what a low FODMAP diet is, and how following the diet could help those suffering from IBS or other digestive disorders. Over half of the book is recipes with low FODMAP foods. I tried many of the recipes and they are very tasty.
Jade Geary
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books, health, food, ibs
Great overview of IBS, FODMAP, & basics of digestion. Numerous recipes & meal plans even for vegans!
Ex Libris Haley
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Has helped me manage my symptoms so well! The only issue is that I'm a vegetarian so I still had to adjust some of the recipes.
April
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent review of the diet and ibs with some recipes; a few are vegetarian friendly. Some suggestions are bizarre though like creamed corn as a chip topping...
Muhemed Masika
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keep in the hands of adults
Patrick Redmond
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A God send.
Darren
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Firstly a disclaimer: this book claims to present a “revolutionary plan for managing IBS and other digestive disorders” and nothing in this review should be viewed as medical advice or a recommendation!

What works for one might not work for another but the book is said to feature the first and only scientifically proven diet of its kind, backed by clinical trials noting that up to three-quarters of affected adults who reduced their intake of FODMAPs — a set of difficult-to-digest carbohydrates
Kerry Howard
this book gave very good information regarding setting up your FODMAP eating plan
Justin
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diet
This book is very comprehensive. It contains everything you need to know about FODMAPs and much about IBS/IBD.

If you don't have IBS/IBD (I may have it, but my biggest concerns appear to be dysbiosis leading to histamine issues leading to poor sleep) you might not be motivated enough to use much of the information in this book. For example, about half of this book is recipes. I feel I got most of what I need from the excellent tables and text describing what FODMAPs are and what foods have
Nikki
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is helpful for anyone with digestion issues and may help alleviate some of the discomforts of a variety of digestive disorders or food intolerances. Some of the recipes are really helpful for folks with a relatively new diagnosis of the main digestive disorders listed. However those with more complex issues, or for those who've run this gauntlet already, there's not much new to learn,
Eryn O'Shaughnessy
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m giving it 3 stars because while the tips are good, the meal planning ideas and recipes are not good. Perhaps with the view coming from someone on a plant based diet (no animal foods) and pretty much every day it suggest cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Not creative at all. It’s like no thought was put into the second 2/3 of the book.
sage
The description of which foods are okay and which should be avoided is kind of confusing, especially when one food is fine per one list and to be avoided on the next. Not very useful to me personally, unfortunately, as the substitutions suggested are mostly things I have to steer clear of. Frustrating.
Bonnie
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good ideas. Helpful to have foods grouped by carbohydrate characteristics/possible triggers and the charts are great! Now to see if it helps. I already eat gluten-free and dairy-free which has been a tremendous help but there are still foods out there that trip me up. I'm hoping that the low fodmap method helps me to identify these.
Kat Lahr
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the thorough explanation in the intro of this book to provide my family with info our doctor didn't tell us. Thank you Sue Shepherd for including that.

We did enjoy many of the recipes and continue to try new ones.

• The Everything Guide To The Low-FODMAP Diet: A Healthy Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • Healthy Gut, Flat Stomach: The Fast and Easy Low-FODMAP Diet Plan
  • The Low-Fodmap Diet for Beginners: A 7-Day Plan to Beat Bloat and Soothe Your Gut With Recipes for Fast Ibs Relief
  • The Low-FODMAP Cookbook: 100 Delicious, Gut-Friendly Recipes for Digestive Disorders including IBS, Crohn's, and Colitis
  • The FODMAP Navigator: Low-FODMAP Diet charts with ratings of more than 500 foods, food additives and prebiotics
  • In the Dark
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Snowflake Bentley
  • Light on Life
  • Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
  • The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes to Munch
  • Grit & Grace: Train the Mind, Train the Body, Own Your Life
  • I Will: Nine Traits of the Outwardly Focused Christian
  • Just Move!: A New Approach to Fitness After 50
  • Le petit prince
  • A Short Guide to a Happy Life
  • The Little Book of Cannabis: How Marijuana Can Improve Your Life
  • Ancient Book of Enoch
“If you need to fart, it’s better for the sake of your abdomen and well-being to move to a place where you can do so with freedom.” 0 likes