Start by marking “Stealing Lumby (Lumby, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stealing Lumby (Lumby, #2)

Stealing Lumby

(Lumby #2)

Just a dot on the map of the northwest, Lumby looms big in the hearts of its residents. The townsfolk consider each other family as well as friends. And though the annual cow race can bring out the competitiveness in people, when times get tough, there is no better person to turn to than your nearest neighbor.
Lumby is thrown into the spotlight when one of the most import
Published September 1st 2007 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Lumby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Lumby

Start your review of Stealing Lumby (Lumby, #2)
Gina
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
Stealing Lumby is the second in the Lumby series. Do not worry about reading them out of order. I read #3 first and had no problems going back and forth.

Lumby is a wonderful little town which reminded me of Mayberry complete with a loveable Sheriff. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows your business. And that's not in a bad way - they watch out for each other and are there for each other in good times and bad.

Located in the far northwest, Lumby's citizens are quite the characters. Odd thi
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In this sequel to the Lumby Lines, we once again find ourselves in the small friendly town of Lumby. Familiar faces abound, such as Mark and Pam Walker, the Monks of Montis Abbey, Hank the Flamingo, and other prominent Lumbians. In this story, we are introduced to other residents of Lumby, such as Kate the owner of the barns of Lumby, which were inspiration for the stolen Barns of Lumby painting. We also meet Dana Porter, the octogenarian artist, famous for said stolen painting. We read about hi ...more
Leila Kern
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the series. The series is growing on me with its small town feel and quirky characters! Something seems to be happening in the town every other minute and I love the Lumby Police Blotter! I want to live in Lumby and be a part of the goings on!
Maria
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming and light read. Nice and entertaining.
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
Dana Porter is a famous painter whose most famous work, The Barns of Lumby, is stolen en route to a London museum. The owner of the painting, Norris Fiddler, is raising a lot of hue and cry, while at the same time, milking the theft for all its worth. Back in Lumby, home to the barns in the painting, the residents are thrust into a limelight they do not want, as reporters from across have set camp in town to glean more news. While the FBI and several detectives try to crack the global case of a ...more
Teri
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Teri by: my Outreach Librarian
This second offering of a series is just as good as the first book and so I'm eagerly awaiting the third vol that's on its way by the mail. I didn't want to wait for the other readers from our library to read it, so ordered my own copy through amazon.

Anyway, this second installment has a priceless painting worth millions, being stolen from the New York Museum of Art. This painting is entitled The Barns of Lumby, which was painted by a world renowned artist by the name of Dana Porter, who came to
Ruth
Apr 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I guess the folks at FSB liked my review of The Lumby Lines because after it was published they offered me review copies of the other books in the series. Stealing Lumby is the second book. While some of the backstory from The Lumby Lines helped, and added depth to Stealing Lumby, I think it would work as a stand-alone.

Set in Lumby, a small Northwestern town, Stealing Lumby revolves around two thefts--the theft of a famous painting of some barns in Lumby, and the theft of one of the barns. In s
Lydia Presley
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comedy, 2010, cozy
I was provided copies of the Lumby Books from the publisher after a favorable review of The Lumby Lines - but copies or no, I already had these books on my library list.

I really loved revisiting Lumby - it was fun meeting up with Pam and Mark again, fun seeing the monks and I had the most fun reading the stories in the Lumby Lines newspaper and the Sheriff's Reports.

That all said, I didn't enjoy the plot of this book as much - yes, it seemed a bit far-fetched that Lumby would become such a media
Angela
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, The Lumby Lines, and I found this installment just as charming. The residents of Lumby all have such unique and interesting stories. Fraser does a wonderful job at weaving the individual stories into the overall picture. She is able to connect the residents of Lumby with the famous artist and the national story about the painting without losing the charm of life in Lumby. Many familiar characters return in Stealing Lumby and there are a few new fri ...more
Gerry
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought I'd reviewed this one already.
I really enjoy these books. This one brings together an artist who many, many years ago had come to Lumby, fell in love with a woman and with a new style of painting. The painting he made there, brought him fame and fortune.
Then, the painting disappears and the people of Lumby bring him back to paint it again.
As always, there is laughter and inspiration.
Lynne Antunes
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Lumby is a small town located somewhere in the Northwest US, possibly Washington state. It is a beautiful, agricultural area with a slower pace of life. The town is inhabited by some very eccentric characters and has some very unique customs and celebrations. The police report in the local newspaper features items such as "Car vs. moose - the moose won." They are a fun, easy read, and I think this series would appeal to people who enjoyed Jan Karon's Mitford series. ...more
Linda
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lumby town matriarch Charlotte Ross has a very special connection to the painting "The Barns of Lumby" and to the artist Cana Porter. As a media frenzy descends on the town due to the painting being stolen, one of the actual barns disappears overnight from the rural landscape, it's pieces appear in the strangest places.

This book is so good and funny, I really enjoyed reading it and am eager to start the next one. Gail Fraser did a really good job in the Lumby series, love the humor.
John
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
This is the 2nd in a series of books about the people in a small town in the Northwest centered around a couple from big city life on the East Coast who buy an abandoned monastery and convert it to an Inn. A lot of quirky characters and very well written. In this one the plot revolves around a famous American painting of some barns near the town that was stolen.
Mom
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I broke my cardinal rule, and read this book even though I had not read the first book in the series. I did not think that I would like the book, and didn't want to bother hunting up the first title. Big Mistake. This book and the town is populated with an extraordinary collection of characters. If I could find a town like this I would move there in a flash. Enjoyed this book very much. ...more
Lydia
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a bit more than the first one. Jumped right into it (unlike the first where I felt lost for the first 100 pages). It was a fun side story to Lumby--same characters are in it but it focuses on a different set of the town members this time. But still includes enough from the original (like the inn owners and the monks) that you feel like it is a sequel. Fun, easy read.
Betsy Costi
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This easy reading story of a couple from New York who bought an Inn in the Northwest, previously owned by Monks, progresses through time, in west coast time of course, to the point where someone stole a famous paintin of two barns and then proceeded to tear down one of the barns for use in furniture on the black market. These books are about 330 pages.
NancyInWI
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
I tried....I got to page 100 and decided I have way too many books here to read to continue reading this boring book. I wanted to like it because I enjoyed the first book, but I just couldn't get into it.
First of all, tons of reporters/media descending on this small town because a painting had been stolen? The whole premise was faulty for me from the start.
Paula Ratcliffe
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed venturing back to Lumby with all the great characters. especially the beloved Hank the Flamingo. Of course there were sad parts to this book, but the humor was overwhelming. I am always amazed and how Gail is able to write from various viewpoints like the Monks at the Abbey, the two trouble maker teens etc. A book I would definitely read again if I needed a good laugh.
Lynnette
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
The book reveals some mysteries past and present. Again, humorous situations only found in small towns. Very calm look at humanity - good, bad, and normal.

Only flaw is that the main characters always seem to have more than enough money. Does that really happen in small towns? Why doesn't it happen in mine?
Kathi
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a series of five about a charming small town and it's quirky residents and comical events. Each book has a central story as the characters are more deeply developed. These are people I'd love to meet and spend time with. It's a place I wish was real for I'd definitely like to spend time there. Very pleasant and enjoyable reading. Can't wait to read the rest! ...more
Stitchywoman
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Although the characters were still interesting, I did not find this book as enjoyable as the first. I felt the story was trying to take itself too seriously which the characters and the make up of the town just don't support. ...more
Marietta Slater
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Lumby series. If you like *town* series, then you will fall in love with quirky Lumby. There's humor, love and caring for one's neighbor and even a bad apple or two. This town is a town where I would like to call home, quirkiness and all. ...more
Jin
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great feel good book about a small town.
Patricia
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like this series of books. I have read all of them and looking forward to more in this series
Donna
Jun 25, 2008 added it
Interesting read ... a continuation of the Lumby Lines. Similar to the Mitford series by Jan Karon.
A quick read, not especially deep but entertaining.
Shelli
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A quirky town in the Pacific Northwest with great scenery, a restful lifestyle, and some eccentric characters...my kind of place!
Kathy
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in a very small town somewhere in the northwest. The characters are a little quirky and interesting things happen in the town of Lumby.
Nancy
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just as enjoyable as the first book in the series.
Rebecca
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Maybe a little bit slower than the first book. Still entertaining, but a little far fetched. The plot seemed to resolve to quickly and easily for my taste, but overall a good read.
Sonia
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the next one.

• Once a Princess (Cardinia's Royal Family, #1)
  • The Questor Tapes
  • Prayers for Sale
  • Cold Comfort Farm
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • Wittgenstein's Nephew
  • Time and Again (Time, #1)
  • Tallgrass
  • Our Mutual Friend
  • Gargantua and Pantagruel
  • Swept Away (The Swept Away Saga, #1)
  • Women and the Priesthood: What One Mormon Woman Believes
  • Control (Star Trek: Section 31)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Enigma Tales
  • Under Dark Skies (The NightShade Forensic Files, #1)
Gail Fraser is the author of the Lumby series, which includes "The Lumby Lines," "Stealing Lumby," "Lumby’s Bounty," "The Promise of Lumby," "Lumby on the Air," "Lost in Lumby" and "Between Lumby and God" (early coming 2018). Along with her husband, folk artist Art Poulin, Gail also co-authored the celebrated non-fiction illustrated hardcover and ebook entitled "Finding Happiness in Simplicity: Ev ...more

Lumby (6 books)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby Series Book 1)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby Series Book 3)
  • The Promise of Lumby (Lumby Series Book 4)
  • Lumby on the Air (Lumby Series Book 5)
  • Lost in Lumby (Lumby Series Book 6)