Start by marking “The Affiliate (Ascension, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Affiliate (Ascension, #1)

The Affiliate

(Ascension #1)

On the day of her Presenting, in front of the entire Byern Court, seventeen-year-old Cyrene Strohm's lifelong plans come to fruition when she's chosen for one of the most prestigious positions in her homeland—an Affiliate to the Queen.

Or so she thinks.

339 pages
Published September 15th 2015 (first published September 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Affiliate, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sofia Lazaridou
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Christy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars!

description

I love when authors go out of their normal writing genre and publish something else. I think it shows true talent to be diverse like that. It’s been a long while since I’ve read a YA Fantasy book, but I used to read them when I was younger. Reading The Affiliate, I remembered why I loved reading this genre. KA Linde did a fantastic job with the first book in this series. Her writing was descriptive, engaging and pulled me right into the story.
“From this day forth, you shall be kn
Beverly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t usually read YA or Fantasy books, but Kyla’s books are like crack to me so of course I decided to read Affiliate. When I started I was immediately intrigued and fell in love with the time period. I am a HUGE fan of Western Civilization and while this is obviously fiction it is set in a similar time, so I was hooked.

Our heroine is Cyrene is seventeen and we first meet her on the day of her Presenting. Today is the day that will determine the rest of her life. She will learn if she will be
Liz
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"It spoke of caution, the duality of nature, and perhaps the duality of the human condition."
description

The Affiliate is the first book in the Ascension Series. A YA Fantasy with a spunky heroine and plenty of suitors vying for her attention. When Cyrene Strohm becomes an affiliate to the queen, her entire life is altered. She is swept into a deep dark mystery full of magic and intrigue. When the unforbidden attention of the King becomes her new reality, Cyrene's struggles are only beginning.

"I have a
Wendy Higgins
On to book 2! :)
Rachel Reads Ravenously
So I genuinely want to commend KA Linde for writing this book. She has said that she wanted to write a book like this, a YA fantasy instead of her usual romance, and she went out there and did it! Me not liking this is very much a case of it's not you, it's me. I just didn't connect. But I wanted to write something short because I think Linde is a great example to all writers, writing something that makes her happy and going for it.
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
If you were to start with a little bit of The Selection, add in a smidge of ACOTAR, then sprinkle in a bit of The Golden Dynasty you'd have something that's truly amazing! That’s kinda how this book reads! Don't get me wrong, it's completely fresh and unique. However, it feels like an amalgamation of everything I love about the YA genre with a hint of romance. I adored everything about it! There’s a lot going on here. The story is multi-layered and unbelievably AMAZING! K.A. Linde totally owned ...more
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Set in a fantasy world of relative peace, the kingdom of Byern has a rite of passage ceremony when children turn 17. They are either assigned to first, second, or third class. First is the aristocracy who work for the monarchy, second is the military along with other necessary bourgeoise jobs, while third are the merchants and farmers. Cyrene makes Affiliate and catches the attention of young King Edric. As murders appear around the castle, Cyrene discovers they might be connected to her.

As much
Darce
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 60%

Just not for me. I found the romance dodgy and I didn't like the characters that much. Not captivated at all and now that I have A Curse So Dark and Lonely on my shelf, I couldn't be bothered continuing this. I might pick it up and continue it later if I have nothing to read.

Thanks for the free book anyway, K.A. Linde and Amazon Kindle! And beautiful cover :)
Ashley
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was cool and I like the fantasy world.

The romance and some of the characters were... bleh. Very shallow.

The romance was TOLD instead of SHOWN and this was one of those things where every male seemed to be obsessed with the main character. There was hardly any dialogue between Cyrene and the king. Then when they spent the most time together, there was literally no dialogue at all. We were just TOLD that they spent time together and that it was fabulous.

She and Eric paced the deck, discu
Kimberly
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
If I'd had the time I would have read this in one sitting. This wasn't over the top good writing but there was never a dull moment, I liked the characters and I can't wait for the sequel to come out!!
DKristin
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a little too drawn out for me in places where it was obvious where the story was going... none-the-less I plan to continue to the next book because as they say "the plot thickens" and I do want to know what happens next!
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Epic high fantasy that will leave you breathless and dying for the next book. Brimming with magic, romance, and adventure, this is sure to be a hit with all YA fantasy fans!

Opening Sentence: “Let them in.”

The Review:

It is Cyrene Strohm’s seventeenth birthday, which means it is also her Presenting day. The day she will be assigned into a class and given a position that she will have for the rest of her life. There are 3 classes and the Third
L.R.W. Lee
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Engaging plot. Complex world. Scintillating romance. This is how I summarize The Affiliate by K. A. Linde.

I’m a sucker for a believable romance and this book definitely had that in spades. But there’s more. Linde introduces us to the complex world of Byren that is filled with numerous factions vying for their own gain and thus not friendly to each other…it’s the stuff great stories are made of, right?

The writing flowed and drew me in to the world. One thing...Read full review on my bl
Coco.V
Mar 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (3/30/2019)! 🎁

Blurb:

Or so she thinks.

When Cyrene receives a mysterious letter and an unreadable book, she finds nothing is as it seems. Thrust into a world of dangerous political intrigue and deadly magic, Cyrene's position
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! It was a mix between The Selection and some high fantasy novels like the Study series, etc. I can't wait for book 2!
Tiffany
First let me just put it out there that I am Team Kael.

Just saying.

Turns out I am being a bit of a YA Fantasy junkie this year. I wasn't going to read this book until at least the second in the series had been published but Kyla promised me in person this book didn't have an awful cliffhanger.

I WANT MORE!

Wish List for Book 2 in the Series:
-Kaliana gets slapped
-Cyrene ditches Edric and gets with Kael
-We find out who is sending the Braj
-Her best friend does NOT betray her
-At least one other hoo
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!
Same Review Also Posted In My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

This book could’ve been my next favorite fantasy read if it wasn’t for the insta-love portrayed in it which pretty much ruined my enjoyability. When I read the premise of this book, it sounded like an exciting read with forbidden romance but I wasn’t expecting the cliched insta-love. I hate insta-love romance because they always annoy me so It’s a serious case of it’s not you, it’s me. I’m not saying it was entirely ba
Liz
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was quite the surprise. Great job on changing up her genre. I liked all characters and the storyline flowed smoothly. Will definitely be reading the second installment in the near future
Abbi
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Starrisa
***May contain spoilers***
2.5 (sad) stars
Omg. Where do I even start??

Expectations: With so many four and five star ratings, I expected the book to be engaging, interesting, with some sort of a plot or SOMETHING resembling that, and the characters to be, at the very least, likeable, relatable and nice pacing of events.

Reality:For like 80% of the book, literally NOTHING happened, I was just flipping page after page waiting for SOMETHING, I don't know what, to occur and finally release me from my
Wee Shubba's World
I bought this a whim! It was only 99p on kindle and well that cover is amazing!! YA Fantasy is not a genre I usually read a lot. However, lately I have been finding the YA Fantasy is becoming a very strong genre within the YA books and the ones I have read are usually fantastic. The Affiliate is by far one of the more unique and fast paced ones. I can't wait to for next one. - See more at: http://weeshubbasworld.blogspot.co.uk...
Nancy The book junkie
Review coming soon!
Jen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
where are all the 4 and 5 star reviews coming from? did i read the same book? cuz this book was terribly written and i cared nothing for any of the characters
Kathryn
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next one!!!
Shelly (vixenreads)
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy, own
Review to come
Robin Powers
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite YA Fantasy books this year. A world with monarchies and a class system and shady royals and perhaps magic. Cyrene finds herself immersed in the world of First Class at the castle with an attracted King and Prince, a jealous Queen, a insightful Consort and multiple murders popping up all around her. Add the mystery of a voice inside her head and feeling like she's being followed and a magical book...this book has me all sorts of intrigued. I feel like my adventure is ju ...more
Fae Crate
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I went into it thinking it would be a romance. And while that was a factor, it was not the lead story line. I'm a romance freak so I thought this would hurt my thoughts on the book but I was wrong! The unique culture and twists kept me intrigues and I swallowed this book in 2 days. I'm very interested in where Cyrene will go from here and how she will grow! I'm most excited to see her friendships grow and develop!
Candyce Kirk
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was an interesting begin to a fantasy series. I have read many romance books by K.A. Linde, but never something like this. I am happy I finally decided to read this.
At times the romance was a bit too front and center amd I missed a little bit of worldbuilding, but all in all a fun read. I am hoping we will get more information in the next book which I will be starting soon!
Bridget
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What is this? I like fantasy?? Maybe I do because that was awesome!

But really, why am I so surprised? When I think of movies that are fantasy, I loved them. Who doesn't like action, adventure, and intrigue? This one also contains sexual tension, which as primarily a romance reader, I'm in. All in.

**Full review to come...

This book was provided by the author in return for an honest review

Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:.
Sooo I won a copy of The Affiliate from the author. Super excited to read it!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Aug 08, 2015 07:29AM

• Ride the Wind (Flipped Fairy Tale #3)
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Lucky Me
  • My Summer in Venice (My Summer, #2)
  • My Heart and Soul (The Holy Trinity, #3)
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • Every Changing Way (Sloan Brothers, #4)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Suit & Fangs
  • Untitled (Bowen Boys, #5)
  • Claiming Eden (Eden, #3)
  • Yelling Out Loud (The Sociopath Diaries, #2)
  • Scarlet Woods (Scarlet Woods #1)
  • Untitled (The Dark Duet Spinoff)
  • Falling for Trouble
  • Do Not Go Gentle
  • Opulence (The Excess, #1)
K.A. Linde is the USA Today bestselling author of the Avoiding Series, Wrights, and more than thirty other novels. She has a Masters degree in political science from the University of Georgia, was the head campaign worker for the 2012 presidential campaign at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and served as the head coach of the Duke University dance team. She loves reading fantasy n ...more

Ascension (5 books)
  • The Bound (Ascension, #2)
  • The Consort (Ascension, #3)
  • The Society (Ascension, #4)
  • The Domina (Ascension, #5)
“Did the book…steal the day away from me? The” 2 likes