Start by marking “The Affiliate (Ascension, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Affiliate (Ascension, #1)

The Affiliate (Ascension #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,960 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
On the day of her Presenting, in front of the entire Byern Court, seventeen-year-old Cyrene Strohm's lifelong plans come to fruition when she's chosen for one of the most prestigious positions in her homeland—an Affiliate to the Queen.

Or so she thinks.

When Cyrene receives a mysterious letter and an unreadable book, she finds nothing is as it seems. Thrust into a world of d
339 pages
Published September 15th 2015 (first published September 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Affiliate, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sofia Lazaridou
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Christy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forbidden-love
4-4.5 stars!

description

I love when authors go out of their normal writing genre and publish something else. I think it shows true talent to be diverse like that. It’s been a long while since I’ve read a YA Fantasy book, but I used to read them when I was younger. Reading The Affiliate, I remembered why I loved reading this genre. KA Linde did a fantastic job with the first book in this series. Her writing was descriptive, engaging and pulled me right into the story.
“From this day forth, you shall be kn
Beverly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually read YA or Fantasy books, but Kyla’s books are like crack to me so of course I decided to read Affiliate. When I started I was immediately intrigued and fell in love with the time period. I am a HUGE fan of Western Civilization and while this is obviously fiction it is set in a similar time, so I was hooked.

Our heroine is Cyrene is seventeen and we first meet her on the day of her Presenting. Today is the day that will determine the rest of her life. She will learn if she will be
Jacqueline's Reads
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

4 Royal Stars

I have a love/hate relationship with K.A. Linde. I love her, but sometimes her books make me want to pull my hair out. I tend to love her less angsty books, but I’ll be honest, I’m learning to love the angst (a little).

I love YA Fantasy reads. Before I read New Adult, I read primary Young Adult for about two years. I love the innocence of the genre and what kind of world the author can create and take me too. When I found out K.A. Linde wrote in this genre, I was ALL OVER THAT.

Cyre
Wendy Higgins
On to book 2! :)
Jasmine
4 STARS! ★★★★

"She has this pull. When I'm with her, the throne slips away and I'm just a man with a beautiful woman."

Every now and then, I do find myself indulging into YA fantasy reads because it gives me the escapism I need from the contemporary ones. So when I found out that KA Linde, the queen of angst had decided to venture into this genre, I was particularly excited! And she didn't disappoint as I was left dying for the next one already by the end of the book.

The Affiliate doesn't just t
Rachel Reads Ravenously
So I genuinely want to commend KA Linde for writing this book. She has said that she wanted to write a book like this, a YA fantasy instead of her usual romance, and she went out there and did it! Me not liking this is very much a case of it's not you, it's me. I just didn't connect. But I wanted to write something short because I think Linde is a great example to all writers, writing something that makes her happy and going for it.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
REVIEW TO COME!!

description

Arc provided for an honest review
Clau R.
Sep 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Sounds interesting and I may read it... I don't know. KA Linde hurt me badly in her Avoiding series and I was left with no desire to read her stories ever again. BUT... I may give this a chance.
Tijuana *BookTwinsReviews*
If you were to start with a little bit of The Selection, add in a smidge of ACOTAR, then sprinkle in a bit of The Golden Dynasty you'd have something that's truly amazing! That’s kinda how this book reads! Don't get me wrong, it's completely fresh and unique. However, it feels like an amalgamation of everything I love about the YA genre with a hint of romance. I adored everything about it! There’s a lot going on here. The story is multi-layered and unbelievably AMAZING! K.A. Linde totally owned ...more
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Set in a fantasy world of relative peace, the kingdom of Byern has a rite of passage ceremony when children turn 17. They are either assigned to first, second, or third class. First is the aristocracy who work for the monarchy, second is the military along with other necessary bourgeoise jobs, while third are the merchants and farmers. Cyrene makes Affiliate and catches the attention of young King Edric. As murders appear around the castle, Cyrene discovers they might be connected to her.

As much
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I love how many YA fantasy stories are popping up lately and The Affiliate is an even more special book for me because it’s written by K.A. Linde – one of my favourite bookish friends. With the author being such a huge fantasy fan I was excited to see her take her hand to it and I can’t say I was disappointed! I think K.A. Linde did a fantastic job with The Affiliate and I hope to see many more fantasy stories from her.

The Affiliate is a unique read. I’ve read many fantasy stories and the ones t
Rohina
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To all Fantasy lovers and K.A. Linde Fans

From the moment I started this book, I was drawn to it. The Affiliate is a book which has multiple layers that need to peeled very carefully. The book has a very interesting storyline, unlike any I've read.

K.A. Linde doesn't just delivers a romance story in a fantastical world. Nope. What she presents is so much more than I had anticipated. It is a story that keeps you on your toes wit
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I am a sucker for YA Fantasy books, so when I had the opportunity to read this book, I knew I couldn't pass it up. It took me a little while to submerse myself into the world K.A. created, but once I got into the book, I couldn't stop reading. It took a while for me to understand the world, but it was eventually fleshed out in the book. I was so thankful for that, because I was really confused as to the dynamics of this fantasy world in the beginning of this book. I thought the world K.A. create ...more
Kimberly
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
If I'd had the time I would have read this in one sitting. This wasn't over the top good writing but there was never a dull moment, I liked the characters and I can't wait for the sequel to come out!!
Aira  Cabrera
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

Cyrene has studied very hard in hopes of being placed in first class. She’s lived in first class her entire life, and her brother and older sister have both been placed in first class, but that does not guarantee her a spot. Everyone is taught that all 3 classes are equal. (Sure.) Every class has their own duties, but it’s quite obvious that people in the first class are much more respected. Surprise!

To her delight, Cyrene gets placed in f
Amy
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge KA Linde fan and didn't think she could surpass the brilliance of the Record series with Brady and Liz or the angst of the Avoidance series. Well, I was wrong. The Affiliate breaks from her contemporary romance novels and she truly shines in this fantasy/young adult novel. If you love Richelle Mead, you will devour this series. Kyla sets up this amazing new world with a young girl on the brink of beginning a new life. She's nervous, scared, but ready to begin her life. She finds hers ...more
L.R.W. Lee
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Engaging plot. Complex world. Scintillating romance. This is how I summarize The Affiliate by K. A. Linde.

I’m a sucker for a believable romance and this book definitely had that in spades. But there’s more. Linde introduces us to the complex world of Byren that is filled with numerous factions vying for their own gain and thus not friendly to each other…it’s the stuff great stories are made of, right?

The writing flowed and drew me in to the world. One thing...Read full review on my bl
Dark Faerie Tales
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Epic high fantasy that will leave you breathless and dying for the next book. Brimming with magic, romance, and adventure, this is sure to be a hit with all YA fantasy fans!

Opening Sentence: “Let them in.”

The Review:

It is Cyrene Strohm’s seventeenth birthday, which means it is also her Presenting day. The day she will be assigned into a class and given a position that she will have for the rest of her life. There are 3 classes and the Third
DKristin
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a little too drawn out for me in places where it was obvious where the story was going... none-the-less I plan to continue to the next book because as they say "the plot thickens" and I do want to know what happens next!
Sønia
No sé por qué me pongo a leer cosas de temáticas que sé que no me atraen, aunque sea fan de la autora. La historia no está nada mal pero está mucho más centrada en detallar el mundillo creado por K.A. Linde y sus personajes. No se puede decir que no haya romance pero es como casi todos los libros del género YA Fantasy, la trama se centra mucho más en otros aspectos que, aunque son interesantes, no es lo que a mi me gusta leer. Por lo tanto, hay que tomarse mis 2 estrellas con perspectiva porque ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! It was a mix between The Selection and some high fantasy novels like the Study series, etc. I can't wait for book 2!
Anjee
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can you imagine stepping outside of the normalcy of your life to go beyond what you deem is real? I can, and I did.

The Affiliate is a deeply layered novel that has an interesting storyline from one of Fantasy that is full of colors, and represents very minute details.

It’s Cyrene’s day of presenting to which she will be assigned a duty as a First, Second or Third class citizen of the kingdom. She is deemed with a letter that is a riddle right before her duty is to be chosen. Cyrene thinks it’s no
Ashley
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was cool and I like the fantasy world.

The romance and some of the characters were... bleh. Very shallow.

The romance was TOLD instead of SHOWN and this was one of those things where every male seemed to be obsessed with the main character. There was hardly any dialogue between Cyrene and the king. Then when they spent the most time together, there was literally no dialogue at all. We were just TOLD that they spent time together and that it was fabulous.

She and Eric paced the deck, discu
Sabrina
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite the start to a sure to be amazing book series. It has all the right kinds of potential. Enough mystery, suspense and romance, along with intriguing characters to make the read worth it. Some highlights for me was the story line, characters and some forbidden romance.

I liked that the story pulled you in right from the beginning. There was no lagging it just jumped into this brilliant plot. However yes within the first chapters there was a scene involving a certain Crown Prince
Bridget
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What is this? I like fantasy?? Maybe I do because that was awesome!

But really, why am I so surprised? When I think of movies that are fantasy, I loved them. Who doesn't like action, adventure, and intrigue? This one also contains sexual tension, which as primarily a romance reader, I'm in. All in.

**Full review to come...

This book was provided by the author in return for an honest review

Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:.
Sooo I won a copy of The Affiliate from the author. Super excited to read it!
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!
Same Review Also Posted In My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

This book could’ve been my next favorite fantasy read if it wasn’t for the insta-love portrayed in it which pretty much ruined my enjoyability. When I read the premise of this book, it sounded like an exciting read with forbidden romance but I wasn’t expecting the cliched insta-love. I hate insta-love romance because they always annoy me so It’s a serious case of it’s not you, it’s me. I’m not saying it was entirely ba
Abbi
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Floryie
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Free copy from the author for an unbiased review*

This book has only whetted my appetite for more of this series. I believe only the surface has been scratched in this book. I am looking forward to know more about the world of Byern and Doma and the regime intrigue.

The author has done a wonderful job getting the right bit of mystery and intrigue into the story and that's what kept me glued to the pages. Each and every page had something to contribute to the tale and I loved the feeling of turnin
Rebecca
I was elated upon hearing K.A. Linde was writing a fantasy series. She is an even bigger fan of the genre than I am, and that’s saying a lot. Because of that, I went in with extremely high exceptions. After finishing, I am quite pleased and feel it was a solid start to a new series. The imagery used is beautiful and detailed; it felt as if I were transformed into this fascinating world. This story is definitely one that builds slowly and has complex world and character building. Don’t begin expe ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Aug 08, 2015 07:29AM
  • Lucky Me
  • Dark Craving (Dark Calling, #2)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Clanless (Nameless, #2)
  • My Summer in Venice (My Summer, #2)
  • Cage of Deceit (Reign of Secrets, #1)
  • Suit & Fangs
  • Every Changing Way (Sloan Brothers, #4)
  • Night Shade (Dreamweaver, #1)
  • Claiming Eden (Eden, #3)
  • Bet You Can't (Unlikely, #1)
  • Falling for Trouble
  • Things Remembered (Accidentally on Purpose, #5)
  • My Heart and Soul (The Holy Trinity, #3)
  • Untitled (The Dark Duet Spinoff)
  • Paladin (Paladin, #1)
  • Options
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
K.A. Linde is the USA Today bestselling author of the Avoiding Series, The Wright Brother, and more than twenty novels. She grew up as a military brat and attended the University of Georgia where she obtained a Master’s in political science. She works full-time as an author and loves Disney movies, binge-watching Supernatural, and Star Wars.

She currently lives in Lubbock, Texas, with her husband a
More about K.A. Linde

Ascension (5 books)
  • The Bound (Ascension, #2)
  • The Consort (Ascension, #3)
  • The Society (Ascension, #4)
  • Untitled (Ascension, #5)
“Did the book…steal the day away from me? The” 2 likes