Start by marking “Attic of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Attic of the Mind

Attic of the Mind

The time is right for Lilith Fields to seek revenge. Twenty-five years have passed since the sadistic abuser tortured the patients of the psychiatric ward, and now Lily has decided he must meet his final judgment. As her plan unfolds she discovers she is not the only one with a dark secret. Now, only time will tell if Lily's demons will be vanquished, and just how many ...more
Published February 13th 2013 by Winter Goose Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Attic of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attic of the Mind

Start your review of Attic of the Mind
Amanda Green
Well, well I have found myself a favourite author I believe! I have just finished ‘Attic of the Mind’ by Hemmie Martin; a book which I found myself actively trying not to finish because I was so gripped and intrigued! Attic of the Mind is a psychological thriller about revenge, love and manipulation. It’s dark, violent, and gripping to the point that I was gasping as I read in places and in awe of the beautiful 'turns of phrase' in others. If I could write a book like this and magic up such ...more
Mariam Kobras
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Attic of the Mind is one of the most sinister tales I've ever read.
It points its relentless finger at psychiatric wards suffering from being understaffed, at young doctors who have to buckle down in a corrupted system to make their own career, and it lifts the veil from abuse inside the family.
Martin manages to meander through what is really a pretty straight-forward storyline and pick out claustrophobic, dismal scenes on the way: you want to put this book down and take a breath, and you can't.
Kim Larocque
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite new authors is Hemmie Martin. I have interviewed her and reviewed her first release with Winter Goose Publishing, The Divine Pumpkin. This winter I received her latest book Attic of the Mind, and had not picked it up until last month! However, the day I picked it up, I never put it down!

Why? Because Hemmie has a way of pulling you right into the story in the first 10 pages. A talent not every author has, even great books like Eat, Pray, Love, took me 50 pages to get into. not
Emma
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely mind blowing book, you can feel the fear coming from the tormented characters.
Hemmie Martins books are highly addictive, you read one book you want to read them all.
We met hemmie at a book signing and herself and her husband we very nice and very friendly to me and my family
Emma White
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well this is the first book I have read by this Author.
I'm guessing she will be in my top ten list now and I have to read more.
So on to the next book .....
Lou
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Disclaimer: I purchased a paperback copy of this book direct from the author at a book signing event in 2015. I have received nothing in exchange for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

Due to life being an absolute pain and getting in the way, it has taken me far longer than I would have like to get round to reading Attic Of The Mind, it's also taken me a lot longer than usual to write this review. It's a good job I make notes to refer back to
OrchardBookClub
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Attic of the Mind" is the gripping tale set 25 years after Lilith Fields was a patient of a psychiatric ward, and suffered abuse at the hands of Walker, the supposed trusted ward nurse.
Lily has waited, and suffered, for a lifetime for her moment to extract revenge on Walker, and Dr Nathan Rine, the trainee doctor who chose to stand by, thinking of his own future career and allowed her abuse to continue, unreported.
However, will Lily be able to see her plans through in order to claim her long
Joey Paul
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of Hemmie Martin's books I've read and again I loved it. Martin has a way of telling a story that drags you in and keeps you there, keeps you guessing as you turn the pages lost in the words of her world. The story starts with a mental health hospital, a evil nurse and the actions of a junior doctor that turned a blind eye to the abuse. Fast forward and the doctor is now a GP opening a practise with his best friend. And things start to go wrong. I found the story both engaging ...more
Peter
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a taut psychological story that involves dealing with past and moving on in the future. The central character Lilith Fields was a vulnerable woman who refuses to be trapped emotionally by her past. This book is about finding strength from within; its about hope and struggle against a backdrop of people struggling with their own demons.
Kate
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a dark story, but also a gripping read. Fans of Gone Girl will enjoy this one!
Carol
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sorry not for me. As an avid reader I love finding new books. I didn't enjoy this, the dialogue was hard to believe and some conversations were more suited to a victorian novel. Old fashioned and stilted. Predictable story, badly written with author using a dictionary to use obscure wordx. Laughable.
Limber hardin
Sep 21, 2016
Joanne
May 05, 2013
carol
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2014
Cheryl
Tammy
Christine
Mar 09, 2013
Hemmie Martin spent most of her professional life as a Community Nurse for people with learning disabilities, a Family Planning Nurse, and a Forensic Mental Health Nurse working with young offenders. She spent six years living in the south of France. She now writes full time.

Hemmie created the DI Wednesday series, featuring DI Eva Wednesday and DS Jacob Lennox, set in and around Cambridge, with