Start by marking “Beyond Belief: Agnostic Musings for 12 Step Life: Finally, a Daily Reflection Book for Nonbelievers, Freethinkers and Everyone” as Want to Read:

Published January 21st 2013 by Rebellion Dogs Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Belief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Belief

Gretta Vosper
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A much needed resource for those wrestling with anything, not just addictions. Joe C. inspires, engages, uplifts, and challenges readers through a year of reflections and insight into addiction and human nature.
Tomas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for staying connected with your recovery on a daily basis.

The reflections herein are inspired by all kinds of sources, be them agnostic or spiritual, but with a tone that is accessible to even the staunchest of a skeptic. There are words of both wisdom to lighten your day and of caution, so that our skepticism is working for us rather than against us.

Barb
Dec 26, 2016
Relyn Manginsay Montebon
Oct 17, 2013
Joe
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Todd
Jun 02, 2014
Anna
Jul 11, 2017
Ann Mattocks
Dec 16, 2015
Lissabrin
rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2014
Thomas B.
Jun 18, 2013
Craig
Apr 09, 2013
Many people who know me don't know me as Joe C, clean and sober since 1976. It's not that I am embarrassed by either addiction or recovery but it doesn't define me any more than being left-handed. Suffering through addiction and recovery has made me more compassionate and more reflective. Addiction was bewildering and recovery is a curious world, sometimes harsh, sometimes awesome.

Most people kno
“Who am I? What am I doing here? Who are these others? This trilogy of spiritual conundrums is as practical as it is philosophical. Mindful inquiry devoted to these three questions is as spiritual as it is material and as obvious as it is unanswerable. Knowledge isn’t to comfort our souls; it is to enhance awareness—that is what some call an awakening. Some things have to be believed to be seen. Feelings articulate truth in ways that our brains cannot. We may have a sense about who we are, what our purpose is and how we relate to the rest of the world even without the vocabulary to articulate it. Recovery is visceral as much as it is intellectual. The Eleventh Step is our spiritual barometer, feeding back sensations, feelings and thoughts as we observe our life.” 1 likes
“The Big Book’s chapter We Agnostics draws a line in the sand: God either is or He isn’t. What was our choice to be (Alcoholics Anonymous, 53)? Nature abhors a vacuum and a state of nothing can’t exist in either the material or spiritual world. This kind of binary thinking made sense in the autocratic world of 1939. But in a democratic, pluralist society, all-or-nothing thinking is a cognitive distortion—a philosophical assumption that everything is right or wrong, good or evil, superior or inferior. In this millennium, people can hold opposing views and be equals in the same community. Our Traditions, lovingly and tolerantly, make room for more than one truth. That’s a good thing, because the only problem with the truth is that there are so many versions of it.” 1 likes