Start by marking “An Untamed Heart” as Want to Read:
An Untamed Heart

An Untamed Heart (Red River of the North 0)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,094 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
The Long-Awaited Prequel to the Red River Of The North Series

Published October 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 4th 2013)

Kristin
I’ve really liked other works by this author and I wanted to like this book because the cover is absolutely stunning.

Unfortunately, my expectations really fell short. I've actually put off writing this review because I was hoping that maybe I would come to view it differently.

I’m kind of disappointed in how this one worked out. I just wasn’t expecting to dislike this book so much and I don’t think I’ll read the rest of the series.

The everyday chores and tasks took up so much of the book that I
Sarah Grace
I loved this prequel to the Red River of the North series! So amazing! You find out all the backstory behind the characters of Ingeborg, Roald, and their families. 5 stars! A must read, whether you have read the Red River of the North series yet, or not.
Paula-O
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling

This book was a prequel to the Red River of the North series that I had read before and knew I wanted to learn more about the character of Ingeborg Strand....Lauraine took me back with ease and I loved getting to know the young girl before she came to America.
If you love reading about strong families you are going to love this story. I loved the way the whole family loved and helped one another esp when they went to the high mountains in the summers and worke
Bethany
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Ingeborg Strand is not the kind of young lady that falls for every handsome face and smooth tongue. But when she does fall in love she falls hard, on a handsome university student from Oslo. This is more than she had ever hoped for, to be truly "in love".
But when an untimely accident claims his life she begins to despair. Is God really in all of this? Is there really a purpose for everything she has been through?
It all seems too cruel when a widower with a young son asks her to go along with h
Chelsea
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved the thought of this story: How a girl falls in love, but an accident happens and she loses her love, and then she must make a decision of whether or not to marry another man who she doesn't love. All of that really fascinated me. I really liked how the siblings and friends helped each other out, reminds me of my family. But when I read the story I couldn't get into the story, then it took till the middle of the book to get to the story line, and the end felt rushed. With this, I still in ...more
Beth Erin
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, blogged
See my full review http://www.faithfullybookish.com/revi...

Great book and great series!
Bria Perozzo
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful prequel to a wonderful series

I have always enjoyed Lauraine Snelling’s books. I have read almost all of her Dakota/Blessing books and it was so neat to go back to the beginning of Ingeborg’s life. Great read!
Hope
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness how long I have waited for this book! I was so excited to get an ARC copy of this from Bethany House Publishers!!! Had I not been in the middle of the very last book in another Christian series I would have dropped everything to read it immediately, the wait was excruciating! :-D

Oh but the wait was worth it! As a long time lover of Lauraine Snelling's Red River series I was so tickled to think she would go back to the very beginning and write Ingebo
Maria
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling is the prequel to the Red River of the North series. I absolutely loved all the books about Ingeborg's family so I was super excited to read it. But I was also kinda leery. Would it be interesting even though I knew the outcome? Would it lack the same flavor as the other books in the series? As soon as I started reading it, all my doubts vanished. Even though the ending was inevitable, there was so many new things I learned about Ingeborg and her family. I e ...more
Jalynn Patterson
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

The Long-Awaited Prequel to the RED RIVER OF THE NORTH Series
Twenty-year-old Ingeborg Strand is certain she is destined to be an old maid. She's had several suitors but none she deemed worthy of spending her life with. That is, until she meets a university student from Oslo, and feelings stronger than friendship begin to develop between them. But tragedy strikes, and the future begins to look bleaker than ever.
Grief settles heavily over Ingeborg, and her mother suggests that she
Marianne
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
UFF-DA but I love Ingeborg! And to join her on her beloved mountain during the summer, with her dearest friend, cousin Gunlaug is to come home again. I have read all of Lauraine's novels, and each one is as special as the one before. This one tells the story of Ingebord in her homeland of Norway, of her home life and her loves! As always, I feel like I am walking side by side with her, seeing her lovely mountain, spinning wool and shearing sheep, and interacting with her siblings and cousins.
R
Sonya
Lauraine Snelling researches thoroughly the aspects that she presents. I enjoyed the development of the plot, setting and historical time frame.

I had trouble keeping track of the people. I don't know she could do it better, with the big families intermingling, with cousins, siblings and second cousins...but I couldn't keep them apart, except for the one main character.
Part of it was the names---which were authentic, but hard for me to remember.

Sometimes I lost the plot with all the details of t
Kristine Morgan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finally we discover what has made Ingeborg Bjorkland the woman that she is in Lauraine Snelling's Red River of the North Series. This book details Ingeborg's last year in Norway and tells how she ended up married to Roald Bjorkland and Thorliff's mother. I really enjoyed the plot and would recommend this book to everyone that loves The red River of the north series.
Art
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it. I like Lauraine Snelling's style of writing and I enjoy reading about folks coming from the old world and to the New World.
My Wife's Mothers side of the Family came from this part of the world to the Dakota's roughly same time as Ingeborg Strand/Bjorklund.

I grew up on the farm and miss some of the work that went with it. Along w/being outside.
Judy Evenson
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in Norway in the late 1800's, it a simple story of simple people living a simply lifestyle (hard yes, but simple) and an unfailing trust in God. A good story and an easy read of times gone by.
Dorothy Beer
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Untamed heart

Slow,reading at first. Too detailed information with language adaptation. Took awhile to become interesting Truly amazing how children so young could be so responsible and accomplish so much. Nils was fortunate the children found him and managed to rescue him from such a precArious situation. Coming from a wealthy family, he was amazed at the family accomplished. It changed his whole outlook on life. Unfortunately they didn't get the happy ending. Still give it 4 stars

Lea Lewis
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read the entire Red River/ Blessing series and absolutely fell in love with Lauraine Snelling's writing. It was nice to go back and read the prequel which in a way sets up her next series, 'Under the Northern Skies' by introducing new characters who are related to Ingeborg’s cousin cousin who still lives in Norway. It was interesting to see the life Ingeborg lived in the old country before coming to America. It reaffirmed the strength of this family matriarch as well as her faith in God. ...more
Kelly
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad the author wrote this book. This one was written quite a long time after the other books in the series. It fills in the blanks and answers the questions that I found while reading the original first book. I have come to really admire Ingeborg, her steadfast faith in God even when she questioned him, her wisdom and knowledge of how to handle every situation, and finally how gracious she was to accept a very difficult challenge. Praise God. I think there are 16 more books to read. Alt ...more
Kathryn Rothermel
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read the Red River of the North Series, and I prefer audiobooks. I was very pleased to find this audiobook at the library. My father's family was from the Valdres area of Norway, so this book is of particular interest to me. We also lived in Minnesota and North Dakota. I found the book a little slow going at the beginning, but I enjoyed getting all the background information about the characters of the books. I am looking forward to the first book in the Red River series.
Jane S.
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This awesome good took me on a journey thru Norway from homes of large industrial ways of
Making a living and social circles that only
The elite live. This
Father and mother insist to push their
Children to follow their way of life. Some
Do not wish to do so.
Then we find a Christian family who truly lived the Christian way.Helping friends and family work in the Spring and Summer to
Prepare for the winter coming. They lives are
so different. A very great book for me to enjoy.
Rachel
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this before I started the Red River Of The North series. An Untamed Heart is a prequel to this series and tells of Ingeborg's story before she married Roald. This was a good book and a great place to start if you're interested in the Red River Of The North series. This was the first book that I've read by Mrs. Snelling and I am looking forward to reading her Red River Of The North series.
Jessica Yaun
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rarity indeed: A prequel that reads like an actual book instead of some hastily thrown-together money grab. This may be the best prequel I've ever read. I loved it. I enjoyed learning about Norwegian culture and traditions. Ingeborg feels like an old friend, as a well-written protagonist should. I can't wait to dive into this series!
Marcia
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is my first Lauraine Snelling, but definitely not my last. This story is like a breath of fresh air. I loved the caring the characters showed to one another. I appreciated the strong work ethic described, as well as the respect shown throughout the book. I'm off now to buy the next one in the series. Thank you, Mrs. Snelling for blessing us with Ingeborg's story.
Janet
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the family life and the unexpected ending. This book was interesting because I like to read about life back then. However, there were a few German terms that I was not familiar with, slang terms also.
Nancy Kieffer
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic beginning to the books I adore

I have read the red river series over and over. Never tire of them. This was a fantastic beginning to that series that adds depth to our all time favorite heroine.
Pat Christie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Ebook

She's older and unmarried. She wants to train as a midwife like her mother. In the mountains for the summer a young man is found badly injured, she heals him and falls in love
Anne Harper
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did not want to put the book down. Could visualize all in my mind.. So many emotions to go through the book. Highly recommend to read.

Clean romance. Makes you appreciate how much easier we have today. Love can be hard but God doesn't give you more than you can handle.
Debi Helgren
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice!!

I enjoyed reading of the ways of the Strand families. My ancestors came from that area of Norway. This could have been a stand-alone novel, until the last chapter, when the tie into the rest of the story becomes obvious.
SJ Garrison
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. It tells of the pre story before the first of the Norwegian family Bjordlond comes to America. Very heartwarming. Again you will laugh, you will cry and through it all there is God and faith. Highly recommend.
Christie
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It's cute but some characters are so perfect they're unbelievable. There are also many chapters just going through the daily routines of the family making this book feel longer than it was. And the ending does not leave you with warm fuzzies.
  • The Jewel of His Heart (Heart of the West, #2)
  • The Miner's Lady (Land of Shining Water #3)
  • Plain Peace (Daughters of the Promise #6)
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)
  • A Bride for Noah (Seattle Brides #1)
  • Heart of Gold
  • Blowing on Dandelions (Love Blossoms in Oregon, #1)
  • What Once Was Lost
  • Lovelier Than Daylight (Saddler's Legacy, #3)
  • A Hidden Truth (Home to Amana, #1)
  • Fired Up (Trouble in Texas, #2)
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow (Avenue of Dreams, #2)
  • The Shadow on the Quilt (The Quilt Chronicles #2)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods, #2)
Award-winning and bestselling author Lauraine Snelling has over 80 books published with sales of over 4.5 million. Her original dream was to write horse books for children. Today, she writes adult novels about real issues centered on forgiveness, loss, domestic violence and cancer in her inspirational contemporary women’s fiction titles and historical series, including the favorite, Blessing books ...more
More about Lauraine Snelling

Red River of the North (6 books)
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • A Land to Call Home (Red River of the North, #3)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Ingeborg lifted her face to the sun, eyes closed, listening to the sounds of the lake—wavelets lapping the shore, birds singing and two jays scolding above them, the wind sharing secrets with the crags, and children laughing and shouting. The mountain music filled Ingeborg with such joy, it leaked out her eyes and down her cheeks.” 0 likes