Start by marking “Tap the Magic Tree” as Want to Read:
Tap the Magic Tree

Tap the Magic Tree

The acclaimed interactive picture book about the changing seasons. “Like Hervé Tullet’s Press Here, Matheson’s Tap the Magic Tree proves you don’t need apps for interactivity,” praised the New York Times.

Every book needs you to turn the pages. But not every book needs you to tap it, shake it, jiggle it, or even blow it a kiss. Innovative and timeless, Tap the M
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books

Start your review of Tap the Magic Tree
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Great interactive book that goes through the four seasons.
KC
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tree's life in a delightful rhyme.
Andréa
Fun, interactive book that introduces kids to the growth of trees and the changing of the seasons. It will be great for a storytime -- I'll probably have one child come up to help me at the book, while the rest can help from their seats.
Emily Davenport
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to read this beautifully simple and charming interactive picture book with my daughter someday!
Kris
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Christie Matheson’s books are great because they are a gentler kind of interactive book. The pictures are lovely and simple. I like this one for a one-on-one reading session rather than a storytime for a group.
Zack
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal response: tonight I read this book with my cousins Aubrey who's five and Boston who is three. This is one of their favorite books they got from grandma for Christmas. I gave the girls a couple of books to pick from, and I think they picked this book because the cover was very colorful.

Plot: The plot of the book is the tree or the seasons and his magic and you had different task to do in order to get the tree to get the tree through the seasons. It starts with the bare Brown tree of win
Alison
A clever, interactive picture book in the vein of Herve Tullet's Press Here, Tap the Magic Tree invites young listeners to tap, rub, or shake the book, then turn the page to see how their actions have changed the "magic" tree. In this way they move a tree through the seasons and watch as it changes from bare brown to leafy green then flowers, grows fruit (apples!), changes colors, loses its leaves, and finally (with the help of the reader) sprouts leaves again. This would be a great book to use ...more
Stella Fowler
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's interactive! I love interactive. There's no better way of helping a reluctant child discover the wonders of books than an interactive book. And the children who do love books just love that the book is reacting to them.

This is a lovely book. The illustrations are simple and inviting.

Unlike other interactive books, this one follows a theme. It goes through the seasons as you tap, jiggle, rub and shake the tree, which makes it even better. There are so many opportunities for teac
Robin
A fun book to share; in the manner of Press Here, the reader is encouraged to tap the page, blow the leaves, rub the trunk etc. Each action has a result: leaves sprout, then buds, flowers and eventually apples. In the fall the leaves turn colors and fall, and then we see a nest being built. Magic happens!
Marisa
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this little gem published 5 years ago. Wonderful interactive story time book.
Sara Harrison
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book has lovely illustrations and my kids loved it.
Tricia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used this book in a music program where the children made tambourines and they followed along with the actions in the book using the tambourine as their "tree". It worked wonderfully!
June
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Arbor Day and tree requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
I hope my system gets this. I read it very quickly at a Capitol Choices meeting and I am interested in using it at a story time. I love interactive books.
Emilee
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun book for preschoolers!
Chenoa
A wonderful, interactive book about the life cycle of trees! We had so much fun with this one at storytime; the kids felt like they were doing magic!
Kerry
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun interactive read aloud. I recommend this book to anyone teaching in an early childhood classroom or with young kids themselves.
Tilly
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite picture book from the library so far!
Elaine
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytimes
A great way to interact with a story and to entice young readers to the magic of books!
Raina
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
So fun! Lots of action and surprises for kids as the pages turn.
Aneesa
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unlike most who read this book first, I liked the other one better (which I read first).
Christine
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
simple but fun (for babies and toddlers)
Michelle
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun interactive book
Catherine B
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
A fast past read that keeps younger children engaged and excited to help with story time. It was fun to see everyone interested in what the tree was about to do next. A great resource for talking about nature, the season's cycles, and leaves!
Josephine
Aug 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
Hello Everyone,

If you loved PRESS HERE... you know..the book where you press on the dots and shake the book to make things change...you are going to be delighted to know that another author has grabbed on to the same concept BUT used it in combination with the wonder and beauty of....nature!!!

Aha!!! Yes, this is all about discovery and magical powers... yours!!! And the magic all around you. The book captures you from the first turn of the page where you see a bare, gray/
Stefanie Pitzer
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson is a wonderful book for children between the ages of 2 and 3.
In this book, there is a tree that changes with each of the four seasons. As the seasons change, so does the tree. The neat part about this book is that the author gives a direction like: tap the tree three times and turn the page. Once the reader follows the direction and turns the page, something is added or taken away from the tree. The reader then feels like they performed magic.
Tap
Heidi-Marie
A great book to introduce the seasons, as well as the year-cycle of a tree. It has the great interactive format like "Press Here." This will be great to try--and works any time in the year.

4/22/15 A great opener for my Tree Storytime. Kids and adults loved it. These are of course more fun in lap-reads, but still works with the crowd.

6/28/17 Used in T theme. I picked this shorter one as a regular book rather than literacy moment because the other 2 books I had selected wer
Kelly
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson is a nominee for the 2015-16 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

In Tap the Magic Tree, young readers are invited to interact with a tree through the seasons. They give pages a tap, a brush, or a wiggle, and the next page shows them what results. They may see a tree blooming with flowers or fruit, serving as home to bees or birds, losing its leaves, or covered in snow.

The "magic" of Tap the Magic Tree, in my opinion, lies with the reader. It's up to each indi
Monique
Picked this book up with the intent of participating along even though I was by myself LOL and for the first couple of pages I did tap the tree and turn the page, waiting enthralled to see how this tree really was magic..and I got a story of the seasons changing that ended up being really sweet. So this story begins in Spring with bright green leaves that give way to buds of pink flowers, then changing to orange and red in Fall with apples and finally snow and Winter leading to Spring to begin t ...more
babyhippoface
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOODNESS. Kids who were enchanted by Herve Tullet's Press Here will love this book. Readers tap, rub, pat, and whoosh their way through the seasons with one tree. Example: Tap the tree and a green leaf appears on the bare tree. Tap four times and four more leaves appear. Rub the tree to warm it, and the leaves turn dark green. I think my favorite moment is when the kids blow the tree a kiss and apples appear.

I read this yesterday with classes of Kindergartners. They all had the greatest time. S
Kaytlynn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my kindergarten classes and they LOVED it. It is a very interactive book, along the same vein as Herve Tullet's Press Here and Mix it Up, where the progression of the book requires their imagination and involvement. The difference in this book is that it also teaches about the progression of the seasons, what a tree may look like in September vs. December vs. March vs. June. It is very clever and cute and sweet and I love how much they enjoyed the interactive nature of the book. I ...more

• Leaf Man
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Mix It Up (Interactive Books for Toddlers, Learning Colors for Toddlers, Preschool and Kindergarten Reading Books)
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • Leaves
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • A Parade of Elephants
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Polar Bear's Underwear
  • Mouse's First Fall
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • Peck, Peck, Peck