Start by marking “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World” as Want to Read:
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World

Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World

The New York Times bestselling author and social media expert returns with hard-won advice on how to connect with customers and beat the competition by mastering social media marketing

When managers and marketers outline their social media strategies, they often plan for the "right hook"-their next highly anticipated sale or campaign that's going to put the competition out
Published November 26th 2013 by HarperBusiness (first published October 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook, please sign up.
Shannon Rose Another TKO for Gary Vee. His books are both timely and timeless, as the concepts of gratitude and working your face off will never be out of style.…moreAnother TKO for Gary Vee. His books are both timely and timeless, as the concepts of gratitude and working your face off will never be out of style. As for results, Gary's results speak for themselves, and if you study social marketers, they are all (at least the successful ones) doing exactly what this book suggests. The theory is absolutely proven. (less)

Katie Breen Allen
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to catch some Marietv.com and she was interviewing Gary about his new book. I'll be honest, he was new to me and I almost turned the video off because I just don't have much time to read books right now unless they will help me write mine, or can help me with developing my healing-base business. Holy crapola, I'm so glad I didn't turn off the video. In fact, I watched it and then downloaded the book to my Nook.

This was the first book in a long time I simply couldn't pu
MissUnderstoodGenius
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you are an inexperienced social media/ digital marketer, you will find this book useful. While Gary does make some very good (and obvious) points, anyone that has experience in the space will find them elementary. The author seems to have a good understanding of how the diff social media platforms have a certain "vibe," and I'm sure his suggestions will be effective. He also has a lot of examples of good and bad business posts to the platforms. However, I got lost with the boxing analogies!! ...more
Paulo Ribeiro
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Worried about good content and bad writing? Not the case. Minimalist, straight to the point writing, amazing content.

This book is brilliant. I have to say, this time, Gary found a sweet spot - he got it right.

The main problem with the first two books were the writing - even though the content Gary brings up is great, you can tell that by following his videos around - the writing was not okay, a little repetitive and tiring.

In this book, no, my friend. The writ
Diana
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise about getting your story out there in a noisy world. However, the book read as an extension of the author's brand more than discussing good content online.
Joan
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I have a small business and I wanted to know what I should be doing on social median AND I wanted to know how to do it. Gary does a good job of evaluating some existing ads on Twitter, etc. And he has some good ideas. However, however told me how to do it. For example, someone favored a tweet I did. How did he do that? I had to have someone tell me what DM was and how to do it. I guess Gary assumed all his readers knew how to do all the social media activities. Not so. I ...more
J.F. Penn
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entrepreneur
Be interesting. Be useful. Be inspiring. Be visual. Be generous. Some of the wisdom of Gary V which he shares by analyzing the social media posts of various brands. Particularly good on visual marketing. Better in print as very visual.
Jodi
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Gary Vee, but I hadn't planned on reading this book. "Thank You Economy" was a little meh for me after "Crush It" so it took me seeing him in interviews with Marie Forleo and Chase Jarvis to realize I needed to read JJJRH. They were so complimentary of the content that I felt compelled to buy and read it. Glad I did.

Like I said in my review for Simon Sinek's book "Start With Why", as a newbie, I need you to show me how to get from A to B to C before I'll be able to see the pat
Carol Kolceski
OK so I loved this book! I haven't read a lot of books on social media so I thought this would be a great one for my book club "Business-Related Books For Success"! Gary Vaynechuk really stresses the importance of micro-content on social media! What is so cool about this book is that he fills the pages with sample posts that are excellent as well as lame as hell! His reviews on company's social media posts are hilarious! He lost me at "See you later, Alligator"! So funny Gary!

Great Quote from J
Karen
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This is an excellent book about marketing right on social media. The author does a fantastic job of explaining what works and what doesn't with actual examples of social media jabs and right hooks.
We have gleaned so much information from this book about marketing our business and personal accounts. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to make a statement on social media with their business.
Paul
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is getting increasingly hard for companies, big and small, to tell their story in this noisy, chaotic, social media world. This book attempts to make that task a little easier.

Most companies are on social media because it is "expected," or because their competitors are already here. But they have little, or no, idea as to how to do it the right way. Perhaps the biggest rule is to Create Interesting Content. Give people a reason to visit you on Facebook or Twitter more than once. P
Geoff Livingston
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gary's latest book does a great job of presenting how to make social media updates interesting. His advice on community management, while martial in tone, is right in the sense that you need to nurture before you ask. Gary is one of the best marketers in the business, so his Ogilvy-esque take on updates is very interesting. More experienced social media marketers may find this to be pedestrian, but it never hurts to polish up.

There are some issues from a B2B marketing perspective. Ga
Aga Artka
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This pretty much sums it up: "Content is king, context is God and then, there if effort".

So quit looking for excuses and finding all that is wrong with various social media platforms. Gary Vee says get on the wagon now, and build your momentum. Figure out a native language of each of the platforms (he covers 9
big ones in great detail) and you will see results sooner than later. He shows you examples of good and not so great posts, analyzes them and provides enough detail that anyone could
Benjamin Ooi
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
This is a good book to start with when trying to advertise on big social media platforms. While it doesn't provide guidance as to how to advertise on these sites, it provides principles that marketers and business owners have to take note when doing social media advertisements.

In a very brief summary, the book mainly went through 5 big social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr. The marketing perspective taught by this book is that consistent microcontent (which
Wendi Lau
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
How teachers and other youth workers can use this book

The skills and concepts in this book are marketable and transferable. Start a club in which teens (under adult supervision) create social media posts to help promote your branch/organization/teen club – fundraisers, call for volunteers, recruit participants. This is a concrete, project-based application of technology. Kids can add the experience to their resumes and college applications and the NGO can use it to apply for grants. It’s wi
Stephen Heiner
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Immediate pros: strong message, beautifully-designed hardcover edition, excellent case studies

Immediate cons: was published in 2013 and is talking about a social media landscape that changes every 6 months. It's already, in parts, dated.

The message here is the same in almost all Gary Vee content: be authentic, be true to your brand, cultivate customers and followers using long-term strategy and time-intensive, non-scaleable tactics. Additionally, here he reminds you to re
Cyn
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for those who work in (or alongside) social media, especially those starting out. Mind you, if you've been working in social media for a while and you're not already across these concepts in your day to day work, you've got some catching up to do. Loved this book, very pragmatic and what I've been trying to tell people for years!!
Lara
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the MBA style case study format. In my opinion, practical example of successes and failures are the best way to learn.
In general, nothing is groundbreaking for a frequent user of those platforms. However, it reinforces concepts and techniques (e.g., quality photos, short and straightforward text and audience-oriented content) that many use.
Logan
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dated reading in 2019 (Vine and Google+ have gone the way of the Dodo) but a lot of the principles remain solid and direct. Been putting a few of these practices to work since starting the book and it certainly makes a difference and has been aiding my podcast. All in all, well worth the read.
Aine
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite a good read. Lots of good information, even if it is a tad old in the fast paced world of social media and online marketing. Recommend having a read if you're looking for some guidance and need a spark to get you moving.
Nika
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This explained so many things that have been murky to me. I should have read it long ago.
Barichnel Sonna
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good jabs, never hurt anybody. Shoutout Garyvee, Although the book is basically a review/critique of brands' social media posts. Still a good guide, tho.
Magdalena Golden
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it
It often happens that readers downgrade a book saying that the same could have been written using only half the words but I think it's the first time I'm annoyed at a book because it promised more substance based on its dimensions but with a more standard typesetting would have only been half as long. Gary Vaynerchuk mentions at one point that he was looking to give the book also a visual social media feel but I don't buy it - my sentiments when reading it were more along the lines of - let's se ...more
Kelly Newton
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day, and would highly recommend anyone interested in social media to browse through it as well. It is mostly pictures (examples) of posts, tweets, pics that are either really cool, or epically awful. Then, the author explains in detail why.

He briefly breaks down the major points of the most popular social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumbler, LinkedIn, Snapchat and a couple others) and some of the major differences in style, attitude, and follower
Dane Cobain
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win tickets to the launch event for this, Vaynerchuk's third foray in to authorship as an authority on social media. As well as including a Q & A with the author himself, attendees were also given a free copy of this book, and I love free books.

Here, we have something a little different to Vaynerchuk's previous work - in JJJRH, he scrutinises the micro-content pushed out by dozens of major brands. Sometimes, it works - Oreo's Superbowl tweet is a good exampl
Chris Bishop
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Telling my story in the social world is critical to my job. I am a pastor of a young church. We are a mobile church (we don't have our own building), so in some ways we have a more permanent place online than other places. I have read a number of other social media books geared to faith-based institutions but they have all fallen really flat.
Vaynerchuck's book is AWESOME! This is the most helpful text I have read by far. We have a compelling story to share and he helps you frame it for the part
April
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a "must read" for anyone who does or is planning to use social media for their business or even personal brand. By illustrating his points with clear case studies, Gary Vee does an excellent job of showing us where some brands have gone wrong and how we can all learn from their mistakes. I've been involved in social media for a very long time and there have been cases where I've seen something that just didn't seem quite right but I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was. Gary do ...more
Julia Doherty
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I run a digital marketing and social media company, so I was intrigued to read this book as all the gurus are talking about it. I love the phrase jab jab jab right hook. A jab is the same as Green Umbrellas "Beans on Toast". This book has certainly made me think about some of the micro content that we produce for our clients. The biggest takeaway's that I had:

1. Putting our logo on the pictures on Facebook / Pinterest
2. Using images in Twitter much more.
3. Use video and I'm in
Laura Noggle
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Love "Crush It," by Gary Vaynerchuk, we've listened to this audiobook roughly 15 times in the studio ... This book ... Well, it's tough to write a book on social media and stay current ... Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook is 2 years old, and it shows.

If you're clueless about social media, and media strategy for brands, sure, there are some useful tidbits. As someone very familiar with social media and branding, I found it mostly common sense and stuff I already knew.

Maybe if Gary V was rea
Devika
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Will recommend this book to anyone fairly new to the world of social media marketing (like me). Vaynerchuk delivers targeted advice for the popular social media platforms- Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr. He is direct and simple with words, outlining unique features of each website. Furthermore, he adds great case studies for each platform to explain what works and what doesn't.

It's an easy, light and fun read. Definitely something that can be picked up after a long day. Happ
Carrie Daws
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
I'm declaring myself done reading the book, but truthfully I'm not. I'm stopping partway through because I want to work on cementing the suggestions in what I've read so far first. And, it's honestly a book I will refer back to time and time again. I appreciate the discussion on the author's theory and experience with social media, but what most helped me was the plethora of examples--good, mediocre, and bad--and his analysis on what would improve the posts and make them stand out. This will def ...more
Right Book To Know Internet Marketing Scope? 1 2 Feb 20, 2019 10:07AM
Business-Related ...: Book 21 Starts this Friday! 4 18 Jan 14, 2016 08:42AM
JJJRH Mastermind: * About the book 2 7 Sep 21, 2013 06:50PM

• Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype
  • Unlabel: Selling You Without Selling Out
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
  • Wtf?: What's the Future of Business?: Changing the Way Businesses Create Experiences
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less
  • The Power of Visual Storytelling: How to Use Visuals, Videos, and Social Media to Market Your Brand
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Difference: The one-page method for reimagining your business and reinventing your marketing
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Building Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You (and why no one else matters)
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Audience: Marketing in the Age of Subscribers, Fans and Followers
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
Gary Vaynerchuk is the ultimate businessman. Born with an entrepreneurial spirit, Gary is a proven investor and advisor in the world of startups, and now an expert on the Fortune 500 world, through is work as CEO of Vaynermedia, a social media marketing agency. Having two bestsellers under his belt doesn't hurt either.

Thirty-three years ago, Gary got his start in business by ripping fl
“It took thirty-eight years before 50 million people gained access to radios. It took television thirteen years to earn an audience that size. It took Instagram a year and a half.” 24 likes
“Being cool has nothing to do with age; it has to do with how solid your identity is.” 12 likes