Start by marking “The Irrational Bundle” as Want to Read:
The Irrational Bundle

The Irrational Bundle

Dan Ariely's three New York Times bestselling books on his groundbreaking behavioral economics research, Predictably Irrational, The Upside of Irrationality, and The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty, are now available for the first time in a single volume.
Published March 12th 2013 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Irrational Bundle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Irrational Bundle

Amy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This extremely large collection took me about three months to complete. It was an excellent resource and weight of causing you to consider how we as human beings think and rationalize our decisions. I really hope to find more of the bands books in the future. I wish I could say there was only one facet of this three book series that was the most informative or the most interesting, but honestly it all was in its own way. I think I found the irrationality of how we are motivated and what motivate ...more
Matthias Pfaff
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it, good read for (neo) liberals who argue against regulatory role of state to put borders to selfish corporate activities at the cost of consumers, who can easily be manipulated to not act rational at all, this is what Dan Ariely proves with quite some nice research.
Jacqui
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as an ebook bundle. They were combined into one book and I read them consecutively. I read a fiction book before starting the next book, though.

First book - 5/5, enjoyable and interesting, if a bit padded out. Very consistent with the TED talks.
Second book - 3/5, interesting, but did repeat things from the first book.
Third book - 1/5, mostly repeats from the first and second, got bored and quit 2/3 through (a couple of sections were repeats from books 1 AND 2)

I enjoy Dan Ariely's ta
Junaid Noor
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best bundles ever

Thank you Amazon for selling these three books as a bundle. Loved Dan’s work on human behaviour and his real life experiments. A very good book for those starting to explore Behavioural Sciences.
Snowynight
Very informative, convincing and informative
Jan Cullinane
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in how we think
Love the area of behavioral economics, and in fact just gave a talk about this subject on Thursday: "Secrets of Decision-Making: for Retirement and for Life."

And, Ariely is a good guy, too. I emailed him to ask him if he's found gender differences in his behavioral economics research, and he replied to my email (said his researh hasn't found any gender differences).

So, I recommend all three of these books, and think highly of the author as well.

Jan Cullinane,
author, AARP's The Single Woman's Gu
Jozef
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dit drieluik is absoluut de moeite waard voor iedereen die geïnteresseerd is in psychologie en hoe een wetenschappelijk experiment in de psychologie wordt opgesteld.
Eén sterretje minder echter omdat zo'n e-boek toch wel een aantal belangrijke nadelen heeft ten opzichte van het papieren boek. Zo zitten er verschillende voetnota's in, maar de uitgever heeft niet de moeite genomen om een link achter de referentie te steken zodat je in je e-reader naar de voetnoot kan springen en dan terugkeren. En
Bob Mcbobson
I think I did a disservice by reading the three book bundle. I really enjoyed the first book (as I'm a big fan of behavioural economics) despite the fact that I found it to be padded heavily with unnecessary anecdotes and asides. But, partway through the second book, I started to find the text monotonous and repetitive and those feelings only increased the more I read. In the end, I only finished this out of obligation (I have a terrible habit of refusing to quit on a book), and the last book in ...more
James
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books started getting a little repetitive towards the end, but then, they weren't intended to all be read most likely.

I loved the whole series. There's a lot of situations where I could feel that a lot of the results the series laid out were directly reflected in my personal experiences. It allowed what were previously only hunches to evolve into a semi grasped understanding of the underlying behaviors that caused certain actions.
Georgina Allen
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and entertaining read about our irrational behaviours. Very much enjoyed reading it and it was a great accompaniment to the coursera course on Irrational Behaviour, however, I did find that there was quite a bit of overlap and repetition between the three books hence not the full five stars.
Phil
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Ariely is the rightful heir to the position of top Israeli-American behavioral economist named Dan. This is an engaging combination of experimentation, narrative explanation, and autobiography that does not get old across the three books.
Colleen
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This took me a realllllly long time to read as I can never read too much in one sitting before getting a bit overwhelmed. As always, Ariely is funny, fascinating and full of mind-numbing information that makes you really think twice about how rational you are.
JDK1962
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, even if a tad repetitive across the bundle. An excellent introduction to behavioral economics, especially the first volume of the three. The last volume does a nice job of dismantling the traditional economic explanation of crime (as simply a cost/benefit calculation).
Milda Tylaite
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
an example how research should be presented to non-academics. the second and third books started to feel a bit repetitive, however - but were interesting nevertheless.
Melanie
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
An intelligent and fulfilling account of the lives we live.
Kenny Oyama
Not my favorite Ariely book (Honest Truth About Dishonesty)
Soledad Acirihca
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America's War in Arabia
  • Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python
  • Explaining Social Behavior: More Nuts and Bolts for the Social Sciences
  • How to Count (Programming for Mere Mortals, #1)
  • Creation: How Science Is Reinventing Life Itself
  • The Icarus Syndrome: A History of American Hubris
  • Shakespeare's Tremor and Orwell's Cough: The Medical Lives of Famous Writers
  • Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs
  • Ebola: The Natural and Human History of a Deadly Virus
  • The Philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy
  • There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience
  • The Success Equation
  • What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential, and How You Can
  • Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love
  • Constructing The Self, Constructing America: A Cultural History Of Psychotherapy
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
From Wikipedia:

Dan Ariely is the James B. Duke Professor of Behavioral Economics at Duke University. He also holds an appointment at the MIT Media Lab where he is the head of the eRationality research group. He was formerly the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Behavioral Economics at MIT Sloan School of Management.

Dan Ariely grew up in Israel after birth in New York. He served in the Israeli army and
“You may think that taking a break during an irritating or boring experience will be good for you, but a break actually decreases your ability to adapt, making the experience seem worse when you have to return to it. When cleaning your house or doing your taxes, the trick is to stick with it until you are done.” 3 likes
“So how can we improve the educational system? We should probably first rethink school curricula, and link them in more obvious ways to social goals (elimination of poverty and crime, elevation of human rights, etc.), technological goals (boosting energy conservation, space exploration, nanotechnology, etc.), and medical goals (cures for cancer, diabetes, obesity, etc.) that we care about as a society.” 3 likes