Start by marking “Sorrow's Point” as Want to Read:
Sorrow's Point

Sorrow's Point

(The Marker Chronicles #1)

Not All Exorcists are Equal....One is Marked.

When defrocked ex-priest, Jimmy Holiday, agrees to help an old friend with his sick daughter, he doesn’t expect the horrors that await him. Blackmoor, his friend’s new residence, rests upon the outskirts of the town of Sorrow’s Point. The mansion’s history of magic, mayhem, and death makes it almost a living thing – a haunted
Published October 15th 2013 by Crescent Moon Press (first published October 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sorrow's Point, please sign up.
Michael Close I have no idea. I think the author passed this book onto her good friends and family. I am reading it now and think it's absolute garbage. So amateur.…moreI have no idea. I think the author passed this book onto her good friends and family. I am reading it now and think it's absolute garbage. So amateur. Poorly written. Illogical. Atrocious character development. One of the worst books I've read in a long time.(less)

Start your review of Sorrow's Point
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural, horror
Sorrow's Point is a great horror story read. For me, this harkens back to the horror books of my youth, where the mystery and the horror were the main characters.

We have a haunted house, or rather an old rambling house were horrific events occurred. I'm sure we've all stepped into a home and never felt comfortable there. Years ago, when I was house hunting in DC, I walked into a house and felt my skin crawl. And then about 5 years ago I had the same experience in a hotel room. I can't imagine
Tina Flanigan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed. With all the great ratings I thought I was in for a treat. I was very, very wrong. Was not scary at all and at about 80% through it just went really down hill. I guess I'm still searching for that truly scary book. Maybe one day........
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars
This is fast-paced story surrounding a legitimately creepy little girl. Featuring an ex-priest and a goddess-worshiping pagan, this is good novel for readers looking a less traditional approach to an exorcism ritual. The writing and characters were honestly fairly average, yet I still found the narrative engaging. This story was also much darker in tone than I expected with a few rather grim moments. I would recommend this one to horror readers who, like myself, can't get enough of
Ki
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, own, ebook
(Original post at Doing Some Reading)

Man was I hooked from the beginning of reading the synopsis for the story and from the first line of the book.

This book is amazing! Oh my Gosh I can not tell you how much I absolutely love this book! I felt like I was watching a horror film as I read this; that was how great it was. I still have the chills since I just finished reading it and currently writing this review. I was scared sh!tless but I still couldn’t put the book down, even during the late
Christoph Fischer
"Sorrow's Point" by Danielle DeVor reads like a classic horror novel. Beginning with an ominous and horrifying scene at a house in Sorrow's Point in 1950 the tone is set for a dark and sinister tale.
In the present now an 'almost' priest and a witch are called to help a family that lives in the house now to exorcise a demon that possesses a 6 year girl and put up with the dreams, the noises and lots of other creepy scary stuff going on in there.
Told in separate narratives and with flashes back to
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | Empathy Shouldn't Be That Hard To Understand, People.
Okay, so I read this book at 11 p.m. the night before Halloween. Given how much of a colossal wimp I am, this was a horrible idea. Just sayin'.

In Sorrow's Point, Danielle DeVor delivers a terrifying story of demonic possession and the valiant fight to save the child that will have you turning on all the lights in your house and jumping at the slightest sound. The reader is unceremoniously thrown into the deep end of this tale of terror that starts with a phone call at 3 a.m. and a worried father
Katie O'Sullivan
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Move over, Stephen King. Danielle DeVor is on her way!

First let me say that this isn’t my usual reading genre, and that I haven’t picked up a scary book in years. My kids know better than to try to take me to a scary movie – I scream and flinch way too easily. But as a teen, I devoured everything by Stephen King, read Edgar Allen Poe under the covers with a flashlight, and read The Amityville Horror, Jaws, and everything by V.C. Andrews over the same hot (scary) summer.

Sorrow’s Point took me
Kriss
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, tour-books
Loved it to freaking pieces. Classic horror which was well researched and characters which are very well rounded. Hats off Danielle!! If you are interested in why I thought the book was a five star, check out the review at http://www.cabingoddess.com/blog/2013...
V.C. Birlidis
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The perfect companion for a dark October night, Danielle DeVor's Sorrows Point doesn't disappoint with each and every gruesome moment. However, this isn't any ordinary haunted house story, and the reader should be prepared to turn on a light or two. With chilling eeriness that creeps into the reader's mind, a tangible sense of dread and overall hopelessness for the main characters is par for the course.

A definite must read.
Paula
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Oh, this could have been so good. Sadly, it falls so very short. We wait around for 90% of the book before the ex-priest finally gets in there to perform his bastardized version of the Roman Ritual.

Of course, this is a part one of which appears to be many books. I won't be buying those. If you're reading this review in anticipation of a purchase, save your 4.99. I wish I had heeded the bad reviews on Amazon before I spent my money. Just go and re-read The Exorcist.
Ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5/5
(I received a free copy from the publisher, City Owl Press, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
***Minor spoilers***

Jimmy Holiday used to be a priest, and he thought he left that entire world behind. He didn't leave shamefully or on particularly bad terms, but he's made a life for himself outside of the Church. What he didn't expect was for an old friend to approach him and ask for his help with a demonic possession. For starters, the modern church doesn't really believe
Patricia Kaniasty
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story. Did remind me just a little of "The Exorcist" but just a little. Very scary story with just a hint of romance. Really despised the character Will and felt very sorry for the character Lucy. A must read for anyone who like stories about exorcisms.
Laura Thomas
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t resist Sorrow’s Point when I read the description.

Defrocked ex-priest Jimmy Holiday can’t refuse when his old friend, Will, calls him for help. He suspects his young daughter, Lucy, is possessed by a demon.

Upon his arrival at Blackmoor Hall, Jimmy begins to gather the evidence needed to prove possession so the church will authorize an exorcism.

The old house has a history. A previous owner, Archibald Black, was obsessed with the dark arts and one headline in an old newspaper
Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words)
phew...spooky. It's 11:40 pm and I don't want to sleep. Really good book! Review to come soon.

-Review-
Oh man! Exorcisms, soul suckers, possession, black magic, cannibalism, an ex-priest and a witch. This novel was just so spooky and intense. I was for the most part consistently on the edge of my seat. The story progressed really fast but managed still keep you following along and interested.

The story is of a family who moves into a house that has been the forefront of some really dark black
Kera Gould
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow. For months I wanted to get my hands on this book, but for some reason, it didn't happen. I would put off buying it or I was engrossed in reading other things... When I saw it on sale for $0.99 I just couldn't pass it up. So, two nights ago I started to read.

Now I am a sissy when it comes to scary movies, but not books. I have read books where leper baby's skin has sloughed of her little face, about a house haunted by the energy of a bunch of sex-crazed, glutenous deviants and
Steven Ramirez
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of The Exorcist—both the novel and the movie. Also, I am Catholic which, I suppose, is why stories about exorcism resonate so well with me. Now, I’ve read Danielle DeVor’s work before and, when I began Sorrow’s Point, I was pretty sure she wouldn’t be telling me a story I already knew. While The Exorcist concerns a Catholic priest suffering serious doubts about his faith, her novel is about a priest who had been “laicized”—that is, he returned to the ...more
Veronica
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite kind of novel is horror; in particular themes that have to do with possession. I remember reading (and seeing) "The Exorcist" a long time ago and since then have read many novels that tried to attain the same degree of horror and fear. None have come close until now. Not only does "Sorrow's Point" have that sense of underlying dread but it also manages to make you care about the main characters in the novel. It is not all one sided. Everyone has their strengths but also weak areas ...more
Terry Reid
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book by Devor that I have read and probably the darkest. The story is told from the first person perspective of Jimmy, a former priest. When an old friend he has not seen for years shows up at his door during the middle of the night, Jimmy agrees to travel to the cheery-happy-fun named Sorrow’s Point. His friend Will takes him there to help his daughter, Lucy, who he believes to be possessed and asks Jimmy to perform an exorcism. But it quickly becomes apparent that whatever’s ...more
Heather Wood
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sorrow’s Point was probably one of the most terrifying books I’ve ever read. For me, there’s something so horrifying about innocent little kids being taken over by something dark and evil. It’s one of the reasons I consider Children of the Corn and The Exorcist the scariest movies I’ve ever seen and I was definitely reminded of the latter while reading Sorrow’s Point.

Sorrow’s Point is a book that I could easy see brought to life on screen. It just had such a movie feel to it as the tension
Simon Okill
Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVor is a new take on The Exorcist and for me a much better read. The author has invoked pure spine-tingling flesh-crawling terror from every chilling page. This novel should be a movie and if I ever get a chance I will pitch it to the right people for this is beyond doubt a true classic horror masterpiece.
6 year old Lucy is apparently possessed by a demon. The house is the star here as the author describes every nuance of the edifice from the present to back in the
RabbitReads
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hmmm not so sure why this book is so highly rated. It was a difficult read and as a true horror fan I cannot in good conscience recommend this book to horror fans alike or to any individual for that matter. The story is a lot of bone and no meat. All stew lots of juice no potatoes. The writing is terrible grammar mistakes are abundant and its just a super duper dull read....
Anna Othitis
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, action, gripping
Once again so well done - weaving Christian mythology and magical moments together in this the story. Another amazingly well written an imaginative story, gripping with a darker edge to the book. Recommended well done once again Danielle.
Nikki
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely an engaging read. Hope there is more to it!
Mii
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Teresa
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorrow's Point is book 1 of the Marker Chronicles. I don't call it scary but it sure is creepy. We get our first meeting with Jimmy Holiday. He is an Ex Catholic Priest. He chose a woman over the church, and not just any woman but a witch. After the witch Tabby and his relationship did not work out Jimmy is now a graphic designer living alone. One night at 3 AM his phone rings, reluctantly he answers. It is Will an old friend he grew up with. Will is in a state of despair. He asks Jimmy to meet ...more
Mcf1nder_sk
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Holiday is a defrocked priest, giving up his religious vocation for the love of a woman. When he receives a phone call from an old friend, Jimmy is sucked into the world of demonic possession. Can a former priest successfully exorcise a six-year-old girl, or will the demon maintain its grip on the innocent?
DeVor has written a deeply disturbing, tautly-paced novel that ranks among the best exorcism books I've read. This book keeps the reader fully engrossed, with the tension building on
Tina
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was Creeptastic in all the best ways! I got goosebumps each time Jimmy had to go into the room with the possessed and freaky little girl Lucy. Omg! I got a bit of the Exorcism vibe from it, but it is in no way the same story. Just the creep factor and the fact that Lucy was a little girl. That's where the similarities end. The author created a whole new spin and added a bit of witchcraft with Tabby's character and it totally worked for me. I found myself glued to the pages and couldn't ...more
Autumn Storm
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read...just the right amount of horror and suspense. The author did a great job in making you feel as though you are there in the house. Little Lucy, six years old, is possessed by a demon. Having tried everything under the sun, the dad calls on an old friend who happens to be a deflocked priest.

It should be noted that there are a couple of areas in the book that are a little graphic but it is tastefully done considering the importance to the storyline.
E. S. Charree
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello Exorcism

Interesting read. A bit reminiscent of another book but slightly different. Love the main two characters. A bit of humor in a serious setting is never a bad thing and this book has that. Could have fleshed it out a little more but, on the whole, it held my interest.
Shelby
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in about 3 hours. It was intriguing and I was immediately drawn into the story. I will most definitely be reading the second book in the series as soon as I can get my hands on it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Everett Exorcism
  • Chosen
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • What Survives of Us (Colorado Chapters #1)
  • The Haunting of Towneley Manor: 'The Haunting of' Series - Book 1
  • Romeo's Rules (Mike Romeo #1)
  • A Spirited Manor (O'Hare House Mysteries, #1)
  • Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Twisted (Lights Out #1)
  • Blackwaters (Kate Reid #4)
  • The Swap (Nicole Graves Mysteries, #1)
  • Plagued: The Midamerica Zombie Half-Breed Experiment (Plagued, #1)
  • Kurtain Motel (The Sin, #1)
  • June's Troubles (Larry Macklin Mysteries #8)
  • The Tracker
  • Doll House
  • Collecting Death (Haunted Collection Series Book 1)
  • The Girl on Camera
Danielle DeVor spent her early years fantasizing about vampires and watching “Salem’s Lot” way too many times. After living briefly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, she moved back to her hometown to write. When not writing and reading about weird things, you will find her hanging out at the nearest coffee shop, enjoying a mocha frappuccino.

The Marker Chronicles (3 books)
  • Sorrow's Edge
  • Sorrow's Turn (Marker Chronicles, #3)