Start by marking “The Landing (The United States of Vinland #1)” as Want to Read:
The Landing (The United States of Vinland #1)

The Landing

(The United States of Vinland #1)

What if?

Five hundred years later, would Christopher Columbus have arrived to the south of an eastern seaboard dotted with centuries old settlements and towns hosting devotees to Thor and Odin?

Might the Norse have gone on to build
Paperback, Australian, 304 pages
Published April 22nd 2013 by Thought Stream Creative Service (first published March 8th 2013)

Start your review of The Landing (The United States of Vinland #1)
Lyn
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Good book, but not at all what I anticipated or was led to expect.

I thought this would be a tasty alternate history about the Norse settling North America and starting up the United States of Vinland (part of the title). This is like the very early beginning of that vision. Norse people have shipwrecked on the eastern Canadian coast and are taking care of business and there are the fledgling, embryonic humble beginnings of such a Norse state.

Certainly author Colin Taber has this in his sights.
The Shayne-Train
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb is a tad bit of a misnomer. This is the first novel in a "What If?" alt-history tale about a Norse-settled America. But this book deals with the first landing and rough settlement, the tenuous grasp the Norse have on the land.

That being said, I loved it. We are guided through the story by a rare-creature in Literature of the North: the thinking Viking. Eskil is honest, good, compassionate. He wishes to provide for his people, and to lead them away from the corruption of the
Matt D
I made it nearly halfway through this one before giving up. I liked the concept a lot, as I am a fan of alternate history. It started off somewhat strong, but it was all just downhill from there. The writing style isn't very good; sentences are choppy, dialogue is forced an unnatural, and character development is minimal, at best. I'd liked to have finished it, but I just couldn't waste any more time trying.
Melinda
What a concept! What if the Vinland map was real and the Vikings had stayed and populated the North American Continent. How would life be different? This first book just sets the stage for that progression, but does it in a very realistic manner, and one in which the characters are very true to what I have read of that time in history. Colin has done a good job in making that time come to life, as well as the people, which are not flashy, or over the top, but are trying to survive in a world ...more
Jamie D.
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book proved to be worth the wait. I have followed this author through The Ossard Trilogy and eagerly awaited the release of this series.

The Viking Age with all its confronting realism meets the New World in a truly engaging alternate history.

I was most impressed with the setting. The majestic natural environment was described beautifully, making me feel like I was there all through the book.

The story continually moved forward and was full of action. Plenty of axe, blood and gore set
Colin Taber
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm just adding it as I happened to write it.

This is part of a longer and larger project, a series of quirky historicals in alternate history.

The books are styled as action adventures. They should be quick and fun reads.

If you're curious, I hope you enjoy it and like what you see.

Kindle release March 2013
US Paperback April 2012
Australian Paperback May 2013 - launched at Melbourne and Gold Coast Supanova Expos

This is book 1 of the Markland trilogy.
Book 2 will follow after midyear and book 3 at
Barbara ★
An interesting premise. I've always been intrigued by Vikings so I will definitely be reading the next book in the series to see how things pan out in this new land.
Indi
ACTUAL RATING 3.5 STARS

What if?

What if the Vikings that had come from Greenland or Iceland or Norway decided to stay in what we now know as North America?
What if the Vikings had stayed and had created a civilisation as grand and powerful as today’s USA?
Would have Christopher Columbus reached the Americas 500 years later and already have found a large Viking civilisation?
Would there have been the World Wars? The Great Depression? What might the world look like today? Would there be similar
Verity Brown

The concept here is awesome: what if the Viking settlements in North America had succeeded? The writing, while nothing special, is workmanlike enough. So what went wrong? Why am I giving this only 2 stars? Sadly, this book lacks the main thing that is vital to any story: a plot.

This book is more of a chronicle--this happened, then that happened, then this other thing happened. It's a format that *can* work for telling a story, if appropriate levels of tension and an overarching plotline are
Carolyn
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, this is not great literature, but I'm a bit of a sucker for alternative histories, especially when they involve Vikings. This book rollicks along, and though I skipped bits that were a bit long-winded, it was a satisfying read.
This would be enjoyed by young adults, especially boys, as there's lots of action and it fits into the genre of historical fantasy that is so popular with young people.
I am looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy. Well done, Colin, for an imaginative but
Marla
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
If you like a story about people surviving on a frontier, this is for you. If you want lots of action and adventure, probably not so much(at least not in the first book).
I like a good alternate history, though there were a few hand-wave-the-gods-want-us-to-succeed-so-everything-just-worked-out-nicely situations.
I'll be interested to see how the story of Vikings settling the Americas continues.
Melisende
I loved this "what if" story of the founding of the USA. I read it in two days - my attention was held from the start. I have read the sagas of the founding of both Iceland and Greenland, so this extension (if you like) of the Viking journey to the north American seaboard is not really that far-fetched. In fact, there is some conjecture that "others" had reached these shores long before Columbus - this explores one of those ideas - and well.

The Landing is the story of the first arrivals and
Glancing at the blurb and seeing Taber at book panel foolishly had me entering the book expecting a modern day United States of Vinland. It's not, instead I found the tale of Eskil as he, along with his followers, attempts to establish a settlement and navigate the jarring and confusing landscape of Marksland.

Once I got past that jarring introduction to the book I found it to be an enjoyable read. I initially found the cast of characters hard to separate from each other, but as the book
Raymond White
I picked this book up because I like alternate history books as a rule and thought the idea behind the book--Vikings settling American and making it their own--was intriguing. Unfortunately the plot doesn't live up to the premise. The author has a couple of decent characters but most were too shallow to hold my interest. He does settings quite well, describing them so they are quite visual. I think he'll develop better dialogue skills as he continues to write and I noticed by the end of the book ...more
Jeanne
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one

Book one, the shipped wrecked landing of the Norse in Vinland. Nothing out of the ordinary, you can easily guess what comes next. The hero and his wife are apparently the only ones with brains, the rest of the dunces just follow along. Won't bother reading the second book.
Frode
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alternative history is fun and imaginative. The concept for this book and series interested me. Vikings landing and settling in North America and building a nation, which by definition would be quite different from the one we have today. So why did I rate it just OK if the concept is promising?

First off was the position of the settlers of strict adherence to the old ways, worshiping the Norse gods, Odin, Thor, Freya, etc. They didn't like the White Christ. The author doesn't give us a time when
A
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The Landing is a concept with TONS of promise. Think "The Man in the High Castle" set 1000 years earlier. However it fails to deliver. This book is set at the time of Norse settlement of Markland (Labrador) and is totally focused on the settling of this new land by a shipwrecked group of Vikings seeking to settle in the New World to continue praying to the old Norse gods, Thor, Odin, and others.

The story is fair though the writer seems to get bogged down at times in side stories and pieces of
Larry Epp
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
The blurb on the book begins: What if the descendants of the Vikings who settled Greenland and went on to reach North America around the end of the first millennium had stayed? An interesting idea. Since I've lived on the Labrador coast and seen the results of Viking settlement on the northern tip of Newfoundland, I was intrigued. And for the first few chapters, it was interesting. But, Taber has not been to Labrador -- there are no oak trees there. Even in the 1000 AD global warming period, ...more
Read Ng
The premise interested me. I thought I would give it a go. This was an ebook version.

I did find the book and situation development interesting and it captivated me. I was under the impression from the subtitle and cover art that more of the story would take place in a modern day USV and not entirely during the peak of the Viking dominance in seafaring and exploration. I guess what I miss from an Alternate History perspective is how our current society might differ if such and such had occurred
Vincent Archer
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alt-history
A good, refreshing alternate history.

Rather than the usual tired retelling of the American Civil War or one of the first or second World Wars, we get a view of "what if the Norse had stayed in their initial colonies on America". A pagan Norse-colonized America would end being very different from Anglo-saxon dominated European efforts.

This first volume is a slow start. It provides a fascinating glimpse into the mindset of the Norse colonists (although the real ones were more of a "we're running
Charles Baker
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Viking Adventures

Good, fast paced, adventure yarn. Always loved reading about Vikings and Norse mythology as a kid, so this was a good fit for me. Good dose of reality with regard to the harsh conditions, and the brutality involved in the clash of cultures. I look forward to reading the rest of this series.
Lee
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Landing as it represents a particular variant of Alternate History that I am very enthusiastic about and I look forward to how Mr. Taber develops the evolution of North America following the colonial efforts of the Aesir-worshipping people of the Scandinavia, Iceland, and Greenland.
Eric Simons
A good idea but turgid

I'm sorry. I tried! I really tried! I liked the idea and the first few chapters were good then it for bogged down in pointless detail and failed to move forward. I'm sure writing this book was a learning experience but the pace was frankly lacking.
John Shearer
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The United States of Vinland

This story was a good read the only real complaints is the use of the Horse names ,mostly because I have no idea how they are pronounced and thus are used as filler.
Debbi Smith
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great twist to history

An alternative history of the discovery of North America. While it has its share of battles and gore, it also tells of the day-to-day problems of settling a new land.
I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to continuing the series.
Susan Katz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
Read on Kindle heading to California. Good travel story.
George
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle

The beginning of a series of alternate history where the norseman settled North America first. I liked the easy read and the descriptions of getting a colony started.
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This was much better than I expected it to be. I enjoyed it.
Nadine Brown
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good historical read. Author did take some license. I read it like fairytale. Women not treated as equals. Would read others in series...
Mark McGowan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts

The characters are believable. I will have to read the other book to know if I really like this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power, #1)
  • The Last Librarian (The Justar Journal #1)
  • Beneath a Stormy Sky
  • The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1)
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • The Gordian Protocol
  • Ambush (Sector 64, #1)
  • No Honor in Death
  • The Path of Duty
  • Shipwreck (Jack Ferrell Adventures Book 6)
  • Peter F. Hamilton Void Box Set
  • The Reset
  • Champions of the Dragon (Epic Fallacy, #1)
  • Paradisi Escape: Paradisi Chronicles (Paradisi Exodus, #0.5)
  • Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1)
  • The Alexander Inheritance
  • Norse America: Expansion
  • Cry Pilot

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Colin Taber lives in Sydney, Australia. He's done many things over the years, from working in banking, to retail, dish-pigging, publishing, landscape design, and even tree farming. All he really wants to do, though, is to be left to write. Thankfully that day is now here..

The United States of Vinland (3 books)
  • Red Winter (The United States of Vinland #2)
  • Loki's Rage (The United States of Vinland #3)