Start by marking “Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods” as Want to Read:
Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods

Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods

Published August 6th 2013 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published August 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fermented, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fermented

Start your review of Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods
Sara
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, I need to finish this book! I've skimmed it and found it very interesting. I haven't tried any of the fermenting but now I am fascinated by it. I will definitely check this out from the library again. Could be the secret to always feeling good!
Michelle
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous guide to fermentation. There are some great tips (like wrapping kombucha in twinkle lights to increase the temperature in the winter) and some really creative recipes. It's beautifully photographed and designed. I'm really excited to try the fermented curry ketchup and fermented barbecue sauce recipes.
Natalie
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: newly-read-2014
Simple introduction to fermentation. Whoo?
Heather
May 27, 2018 added it
Shelves: cookbook
Great layout with color photos and helpful information on fermenting everything from yogurt to meat, and everything in between - the classic sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, kvass, vinegar, kombucha, and more. An interesting perspective in favor of nitrates to preserve meats that I hadn't heard before.
J.D. Knutson
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third book I've read on fermentation and, while simple and helpful, did not stick out as unique. The pictures were lovely. Here are the recipes I'm excited to try:

Fermented grainy mustard (158)
Radicchio Kraut (164)
Radishes (166)
Jalepenos (170)
Garlic (174)
Frozen yogurt (186)
Res cabbage and apple kraut (206)
Turnips (207)
Citrus (216)
Suzanne Barrett
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The full-size, beautifully photographed book begins with a foreword by noted Paleo expert Diane Sanfilippo and then explains health stewardship and a history of fermentation. Part I gives fermentation basics and mother recipes with information on what foods to select, water, sugar and salt requirements and so on. In this section are recipes for dairy and coconut-based ferments including several kinds of yogurts and kefir. I particularly like the Greek-style yogurt (p. 91) which starts much the s ...more
Joshua
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very solid intro to the topic and much more tactical and approachable than other books I've read about fermentation. I probably shouldn't rate it until I try some recipes, but they seem reliable. I like the fact that it discusses a principle (like, you can mix juice and kombucha, let it re-ferment, and get a new beverage) and then follows it with several concrete recipes.
Bridget Hewitson
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is a very good resource for fermentation of food and drinks. It is comprehensive and has reliable sources of reference should there be a curiosity in reading further about the subject. I felt encouraged to try fermentation of items not yet tried, as well as to re-try those that had previously flopped. Thank you for a wonderful book!
Stephie Jane Rexroth
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise with all the know-how to get started. After successfully fermenting my first jars of sauerkraut, enhancing many of my Paleo meals, ideas are now brewing wildly in my mind. O the possibilities; I'm hooked for life.
Mariah
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I had to buy myself, and others, a copy.
If you are wanting to learn to ferment food and do it the wild way (e.g. not rely on starter cultures from whey etc.) This book is for you. Clear and easy to understand.
Amanda Ventrone staymates
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book! It makes fermentation less intimidating. I got a good chuckle when I read a line about expanding these practices far and wide, reaching away from the author's native Pittsburgh, PA... Which is exactly where I am. Thanks for the courage to ferment!
Ariadna73
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, hands-on-books
I liked this book because it confirms what I already had discovered: that fermentation is really easy to do, and it is almost impossible to fail at it. My takeaway would be the yogurt recipe, although I don't know if I will try it any time soon. I'll see.
Stephanie
clear, concise
Carolanne
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: foody-stuff
Really good but I would have loved more ideas on what to actually ferment (I'm not very inventive).
Julie Keen
Jul 01, 2015
Tracy Olson
Aug 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ProbioticXL Review: How Safe And Effective Is This Product? 1 2 Jul 23, 2018 04:29AM

• Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Turkish Cookery
  • Successful Small-Scale Farming: An Organic Approach
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • The Self-Reliant Homestead: A Book of Country Skills
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry: Breeds, Care, Health
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • American Princess: A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt
  • Paper Wife
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Dairy-Free Ice Cream: 75 Recipes Made Without Eggs, Gluten, Soy, or Refined Sugar
  • The Paleo Approach Cookbook: A Detailed Guide to Heal Your Body and Nourish Your Soul
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • The Keto Diet Cookbook
  • Eight Skilled Gentlemen (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #3)

News & Interviews