Start by marking “Love, Hugs, and Hope: When Scary Things Happen” as Want to Read:
Love, Hugs, and Hope: When Scary Things Happen

Love, Hugs, and Hope: When Scary Things Happen

Written after the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, Love, Hugs, and Hope: When Scary Things Happen is an invaluable tool for helping children identify feelings that overwhelm them with anxiety and despair. Author Christy Monson guides readers through emotions of fear, sadness, and anger, then lends constructive and practical ideas for how to manage such feelings and ...more
Published August 15th 2013 by Familius (first published December 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Hugs, and Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Hugs, and Hope

Kate
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christy is an inspiration. Processing grief and hardship is hard enough as an adult. When children go through trauma, this is a great resource that they can hold on to as they begin the healing process.
Garrin Judd
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This wonderfully written and expressive book allows a child to understand that the range of emotions they feel when dealing with tragedy.... are OK! Normal feelings that everyone feels when confronted by loss! Inspired, written, and illustrated for the children of Sandy Hook this book is truly a treasure! A must own for every child in your life. Unfortunately we never can be prepared for the untimely misfortune of tragedy, but we can step by step, little by little, introduce our children to the ...more
Anna del C. Dye
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are not many books that show adults how to help children in case of a disaster or catastrophe, however Love, hope, hugs When Scary Things Happen by Christy Monson and art by Lori Nawin is one of the best.
I enjoyed the beautiful drawings along with the message, so simple and yet powerful, of how children can cope with sadness in their lives by themselves. I believe it has also opened my eyes to what children need to be able to handle disasters and separations from the people they love.
Love,
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a necessity in every household. I think kids have to deal with bad things all the time. Maybe not as big as the school shootings, but a lot of other things in their lives, like being in a car accident, or a relative dying. This book can help. The story has a great feeling to it – a warm, calming, friendly – but serious – feeling. It is told in a very simple way, but I think it tells a big story. The illustrations are cartoon-like and make it easier to understand the story. The anima ...more
LAWonder10
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a picturesque, delightful way of explaining sad things to toddlers!

This is a large, high quality, colorful picture books with simple but plain writing to assist the very young in coping with various types of sad, painful situations which occur in one's life.

The Cover is bright e and cheerful as are the illustrations which are done so well by Lori Nawyn.

Each page has large illustrations that will capture every little ones attention. It is perfect to read to a very young elementary group beca
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Love, Hugs, and Hope: When Scary Things Happen explains to children that bad things happen in the world and gives ideas on what children can do to deal with them and find help and hope.

The illustrations are VERY cute. They are eye catching and offer points for parents to talk to their children about the concept discussed on the page. It is a great compliment between the written word and the illustrations.

This is a great book to read with your child whether or not they are experiencing a crisis.
Amy
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book gives advice to children who are dealing with tragedy. It begins with an illustration mentioning the Sandy Hook tragedy, then goes on to describe how someone may feel after a sad incident. It tells kids that they need to get their feelings out and suggests activities that may allow them to handle the grief. The illustrations are reminiscent of Mary Englebreit's artwork.

Another book that helps kids after a traumatic situation is Healing Days by Susan Farber Straus.
Shauna
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What do you need when SCARY things happen?

LOVE!
HUGS!
and HOPE!

This book is adorable and yet so powerful!

Cute illustrations and profound wisdom!

We all have bad things happen to us!

Find out what to do with your feelings of hurt, anger, fear, and sadness in this wonderful book!

Especially helpful for children :)

This book was written after the tragic shooting in Newton, Connecticut.
Margot
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a needed resource! I wish I'd had a book like this for my kids when they were little. It's never easy to help kids deal with tough problems, but this book makes it a little easier. I love knowing that it's written by a licensed therapist as well, so you can trust that the help given here is solid. It's simple, straightforward, and easy to understand. The illustrations are just right.
Melanie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
While it has a good concept, I don't think this book has anything to say that a parent can't just tell their child. A parent can say, "You might have lots of different feelings. You can talk about them whenever you want to" without needing this book. The illustrations bothered me a bit, too. They looked more like scrapbooking paper or clip art than illustrations for a children's book.
Chris
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Often we give kids too much credit. They grow up fast and are exposed to much more at an earlier age than the previous generation. Love, Hugs, Hope is a straight forward manual in a clever illustrated form to help kids process difficult life events.
Sharee Wanner
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are scary things that happen to all of us-young and old. I love the way that Lori's illustrations bring added insight to Christy's words. By focusing on the love, hugs and hope we can feel peace that we can be happy again. Thank you both for being such an inspiration and encouragement.
Christy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel
Mar 03, 2016
Dhanashri Matondkar
Dec 22, 2017
Christy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nadia
Steven Rivas
Aug 19, 2013
Lori
Aug 19, 2013
Christy Monson has a B.S. degree in Child Development and Psychology from Utah State University, and an M.S. in Counseling Psychology and Marriage & Family Therapy from University of Nevada at Las Vegas. She established a successful counseling practice in Las Vegas, Nevada. She has been married 50 years and raised six children who are all college graduates. She loves to write and enjoys adding ...more