Start by marking “The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)

The Art of Purring

(The Dalai Lama's Cat #2)

What makes you purr? Of all the questions in the world, this is the most important. It is also the great leveler. Because no matter whether you are a playful kitten or a sedentary senior, a scrawny alley Tom or a sleek-coated uptown girl, whatever your circumstances, you just want to be happy. Not the kind of happy that comes and goes like a can of flaked tuna but an ...more
Published November 28th 2013 by Hay House, Inc. (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)
Robin
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
David Michie has found a whimsical, clever way to educate the reader about happiness from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective. Although I didn't initially choose the book with a goal to learn more about Tibetan Buddhism, I learned a lot. And despite learning a lot, it was an easy, enjoyable read. I enjoyed the human and animal characters and became eager to see where their narratives led.

It is written in the first person perspective of (as the title says) the Dalai Lama's cat, and I grew very fond of
Kevin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, buddhist
I love this this series, book 2 is even better then the first. I love that the cat narrates the book and if you're not a cat lover lots of dogs appear. There is a shocking revelation (view spoiler)
Highly recommended for anyone who loves animals, wants a break from violence and despair!
M
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that make you feel happy as you turn their pages, one anecdote at a time.And then there are books that lighten up your soul.And then there is this book and this entire series for that matter. Took over 2 weeks for this book just so that I don’t end up finishing it too soon. Guess this book will be gifted by me to many over next few years :)
Nat
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Karen O'Brien-Hall
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when you read a book which touches you, gives you a laugh and just plain makes you feel good, reading a sequel can be a bit daunting.
I approached The Dalai Lama’s Cat and the Art of Purring with a certain degree of trepidation because, Starts at Sixty members will remember, I so thoroughly enjoyed HHC’s previous literary triumph. I needn’t have worried, HHC is no one hit wonder
Since reading HHC’s first book, The Dalai Lama’s Cat, I’ve recommended it many times and a number of people
Sharon
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, spirituality
I read and thoroughly enjoyed David Michie's first novel, "The Dalai Lama's Cat," so I was delighted at the opportunity to read the next outing featuring HHC (His Holiness' Cat) and her perspective on life at McLeod Ganj.

This time, His Holiness is going away for an extended period of time and asks the cat to consider why she purrs. This begins HHC's examination of happiness. She learns several lessons through the course of the book just by observing what happens in her circle of human and canine
Alison
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book in what is to be a trilogy, about the observations of the Dalai Lama's cat as she listens to the different characters in the book, from the Dalai Lama to his staff to her friends at her favorite cafe and Yoga studio, the Dalai Lama sets for his lovable feline companion the task of investigating The Art of Purring, or in other words (Happiness). These books are a simple read, packed with a lot of great wisdom, which makes them very enjoyable to read. We can connect to the ...more
Darlene
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful sequel to a marvelous book, this does not disappoint. If anything, this reader was left wishing for more. Not a fan of books from the animal's perspective, author David Michie pulls it off with aplomb. Highly recommended. This book and its prequel will easily transport you to another country, way of life and a basic understanding of Buddhism.
Kayla
*NOTE: This is a review of the entire trilogy.*

I love reading books about cats. If I could read nothing but books about cats, I probably would, and be happy while doing it. I love learning everything I can about them. I also love learning about religions that I haven't studied yet. When I heard about The Dalai Lama's Cat trilogy, it sounded like the perfect book trilogy for me. I'm so glad that I picked it up. I loved the trilogy so much that I ended up reading all three books in a twenty-four
Maria Carmo
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved this book even more than it predecessor. The story is as fluid and the characters as charming as in the previous book, but there is a certain depth of teaching, under the guise of the easiness with which the Author get's the Cat to tell the story. I loved it and certainly recommend it as a good read!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 26 October 2015.
Dianne
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book is somewhat deeper than the first and we don't see much of the Dalai Lama. As a matter of fact, this book proves to me that I would never be able to become a Buddist, I just don't have the patience for it! Some of the passages are wordy and to me, seem to have nothing to do with the book. Then again this book is a mish-mash of peoples lives and deaths (yes one of our beloved characters died in this book). Also, the Dalai Lama is on a trip for most of the book.

This book does reinforce
A. Gulden
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Ludo was right: happiness was not to be found in the past. Not in trying to relive memories, however beguiling. It could only be experienced in this moment, here and now.

It was as if an elastic band that had been stretched to the limit suddenly let go.

Buddhists believe that acts of generosity benefit those who have died, when dedicated by people who have a close karmic connection to the deceased.

“When you take the happiness formula overall, you can see that while there are certain things that
Lisa Marie Gabriel
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, spiritual
It is difficult to write a review of what happens in this delightful book without adding spoilers and that is something I am not going to do! Suffice it to say that I had to get a copy as soon as it became available in the UK! I was a little concerned how a sequel would stand up because very often the original inspiration is so much better. In this case I was not disappointed. In a way, I found this a more thoughtful book than the first but I dearly love them both. The Snow Lion is very close to ...more
Julie
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started the series with this the 2nd book, but it makes no difference to understanding or enjoyment.
This is a delightfully written book, with a simple writing style that belies the fundamental wisdom of its message. I've been reading this while moving home and it's message about not letting little issues upset you particularly helped me at this time. This is probably an enduring lesson for me as well in day to day life and I love the way the lessons were presented and then recapped towards the
Carol
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
So happy to be able to spend some more time with Rinpoche aka Snow Lion aka HHC plus several other names. I hope there will be even more books in this series! I enjoyed catching up with many of the characters from the first book, The Dalai Lama's Cat, and meeting some new ones. Reading these books is almost a guilty pleasure--I enjoy them so much it doesn't really feel "spiritual," even though the content is there for the taking.
Preethi
Obviously, I absolutely love this book. I love how the otherwise complicated-to-follow Buddhist tenets are explained in such simple words in this book. I love the anecdotal method of the flow in this book. And I totally totally love the parts where HHC is talking about HHH The Dalai Lama, such love, admiration and warmth it makes me feel.
Rima
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written book. Good blend of adaptive philosophies that are relevant to all. The final pages though are a bit dramatic . The narrative style is interesting and should keep you wanting for more.
Jemma (Aussie BookWorm)
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
How deeply I have learned to love has come so much from the furry friend's I have had in my life, the Dalai Lama's Cat included. Full review: http://aussiebookworm.weebly.com/mich...
Sukanto
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As lovely as the first book in this series!
Angela
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-read
This book was a good as the first. I started #3 the minute I put #2 down!
Claire
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I cannot wait to read this and the first book again. They make you think and make you smile, I love HHC's story and I love the lessons we learn along with her on her journeys each day
Nat K
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
A lovely, gentle read.
Iva Pokorny
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It made me purr. And reminded me, among many other things, that it is OK to stretch out and just take it easy in my favorite spot. A great read! You will be smiling all the way thru it.
Michael O'hara
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation
Cat Buddhism

A cat whose adventures explain Buddhist principles and an enjoyable and easy read. It follows on from the first book with an easy grace.
Katie
This is such a cute and relaxing series.
Helen
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this as much as the first. Really enjoyed the buddhism principles woven through the narrative. I listened to it on audible the narration by the author was excellent!
Kari Eggerling
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
2018 Reading Challenge:
#3 The Next Book in a series you started
#6 A Novel based on a real person
#7 A Book set in a country that fascinates you (India)
#16 A Book with an animal in the title
Annie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lessons learned from this adventure with HHC (His Holiness'Cat) -
"The Holy Secret is this: If you wish to end your suffering, seek to end the suffering of others. If you wish for happiness, seek the happiness of others. Exchanging thoughts of self for thoughts of others—this is the most effective way to be happy.”
Bill
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the series and it is just as wonderful as the first.
Nicole
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I received this book from NetGally in return for an honest review.

Initially I was regretting the decision I made on requesting to read this book. However, I was totally hooked on it after reading the first few pages. I have a keen interest in whole Buddhism and its philosophy and its view on life and so on, so to speak. So, the title drew me in right away without knowing what the book was about.

I have only had an experience of having a cat for a very brief time, which turned out to be a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
MISSING KITTENS 4 9 Dec 11, 2013 05:36AM

• Dinner with Buddha
  • The Third Rule Of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #3)
  • The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • An Introduction to Buddhism
  • The Fourth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #4)
  • El mejor lugar del mundo es aquí mismo
  • Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law
  • Jurnalul fericirii
  • Lunch with Buddha
  • Autismus & Chardonnay 2: Pozdní sběr
  • The Fifth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #5)
  • Tiché roky
  • Realm of Angels (Noble Line of de Nerra, #2)
  • Hotýlek
  • Cleo: How an Uppity Cat Helped Heal a Family
  • Trits: Mis, Mirakel, Drif
  • Jump...And Your Life Will Appear: An Inch-by-Inch Guide to Making a Major Change
  • The Power of Love: Connecting to the Oneness
David Michie is the internationally best-selling author of The Dalai Lama's Cat series, as well as a number of books about mindfulness, meditation and Buddhism. These include the non-fiction titles ‘Why Mindfulness is Better than Chocolate’, ‘Hurry Up and Meditate,’ ‘Buddhism for Busy People’ and 'Buddhism for Pet Lovers.' His books are available in 26 languages in over 40 different countries.

The Dalai Lama's Cat (4 books)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Power of Meow (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #3)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Four Paws of Spiritual Success
“For those beings with a broader perspective of Planet Earth, boredom is sometimes accompanied by a darker companion—guilt. We know that compared to many others, our lives are actually quite comfortable. We don’t live in a war zone or in abject poverty; we don’t have to dwell in the shadows on account of our gender or religious opinions. We’re free to eat, dress, live, and walk however we like, thank you very much. But even so, we’re bored beyond measure.” 1 likes
“Yes, dear reader, that’s the other reason we cats purr. Arguably, it’s the most important reason: to make you happy. Purring is our V—our way of reminding you that you are loved and special, and that you should never forget how we feel about you, especially when you’re vulnerable. What’s more, purring is our way of ensuring your good health. Studies show that having a feline companion reduces stress and lowers the blood pressure of humans. Cat owners are significantly less likely to have heart attacks than people who live in a catless world.” 1 likes