Start by marking “Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)” as Want to Read:
Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)

Grave Music (Bill Slider #4)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Slider and Joanna's on-again, off-again romance is off when murder at the Royal London Philharmonica throws them together--in this droll, beguiling police procedural, the fourth in the series by one of the best of the British mystery mavens (Cleveland Plain Dealer).
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1995 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Grave Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Music

Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this British crime drama, it was the first in the series I'd read, and I would like to read others though I am not going to immediately run out and buy them, as I'm trying to buy no more books until I read more of the 6000 or so I have. The resolution was unexpected, the detective and his allies were likable, and the story kept me turning pages. Overall, a good mystery.
Jon
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been reading these in order, enjoying them all. This one was a bit less complicated than the earlier ones, with fewer suspects that were easier to keep straight. Here a world-famous conductor (and completely wicked man) is shot off the podium at an orchestral rehearsal. ("What's the difference between a bull and an orchestra? A bull has horns in front and an arse in back.") With a lot of this kind of humor, very clearly delineated characters, and a band of quirky investigators familiar from ...more
Damaskcat
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sir Stefan Radek is not the most sympathetic of murder victims and Bill Slider has his work cut out to identify the murderer in this complex murder mystery. He is also trying to deal with his divorce and his estrangement from Joanna, the love of his life. As it happens Joanna witnessed the killing as she was playing in the orchestra at the rehearsal at which Radek, the conductor, was shot dead.

This is an interesting and well written mystery with plenty of believable – if not always likeable – ch
Beth
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
London Detective Inspector Bill Strider is down on his luck. His wife has recently left him for another man and Joanna, the woman he's in love with, wants nothing to do with him. He is sent to investigate the murder of world famous (though little liked) conductor, Sir Stefan Radek,who was murdered during a rehearsal of the London Philharmonic orchestra at a neo-Byzantine church. But there's an upside for the Inspector -- it brings him back into contact with Joanna, who is a violinist and was at ...more
Lynn
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Slider--well worked out and fine characterizations. I'm glad the unhappy-marriage subplot was finally resolved. That one dragged on for too long, across too many books. While one can sympathize with the difficulty of the situation, enough already.

This one had some nice insights into the music world, but the resolution was a bit problematic. The final act was rather abrupt, which was good for Slider since there was no concrete proof. A surprising resolution of the boss problem, too. Again
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Now that the marriage/affair issue is resolved, I'm liking this series more. The witticisms continue, not as densely packed as a Lord Peter/Harriet Vane novel but very much in evidence and very clever. The plot is interesting. I'm still feeling wary about this series but I hope to be less judgmental in the future.
Catherine Woodman
This is a very good series, with Bill Slider as the lead detective and quirky hero. His wife has left him becasue he was never there--becasue of his work, not his affair with another woman, who also leaves him, so he is on his own and he has to sole the mystery of the murder of a famous conductor--well written.
Nancy
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Grave Music is a police procedural with plenty of suspects and intersecting threads. It is a competent mystery which I may be underrating because I read books 5 and 6 in the series before reading this one (#4) so know what happens in the personal lives of some of the characters. That takes away a bit of the tension. Still, I zipped through it in a couple days.
Kyrie
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love the wordplay in these mysteries. I'd read them just for that, but the plots are well done and so is the back story. I managed to figure out one key part early, but the rest was well hidden and a surprise.
Candy Wood
Police procedural and the classical music scene in London--beginning of good series. Or maybe not, since I see that Goodreads says it's #4. It must have felt like the beginning when I read it, even though I had already read others in the series.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, police, owned
Number four in the Bill Slider British police procedural series, again this series is definitely a keeper.
Susan Union
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it
A compelling, satisfying mystery.
Belinda
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
re-read
Ruth
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's amazing the difference in language in this book compared to some of the others I have recently read.
Alice
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A crucial book in the series as it introduces a significant character. I really enjoy this whole series.
Margareth8537
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Read this under its alternative title Dead End. Another entertaining Bill Slider 'policier'.
Doug
Jul 28, 2016 added it
Took a while to get into the story as with most British mysteries. But the story was good as were the characters.
Craig
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this one better than Death Watch. Better writing, better plot, more character depth.
Dana Garner
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent -- clever, humorous writing. I love Bill Slider!
Julie
Dec 07, 2009
Melita Thomas
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
  • December Heat
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy, #4)
  • Six Feet Under (Inspector Thanet, #2)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • A Dark Devotion
  • A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)
  • Call the Dead Again (Mitchell and Markby Village, #11)
  • Losing Ground (Inspector Sloan #22)
  • Funeral Music
  • Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Bill Slider (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Orchestrated Death (Bill Slider #1)
  • Death Watch (Bill Slider, #2)
  • Death to Go (Bill Slider, #3)
  • Blood Lines (Bill Slider, #5)
  • Killing Time (Bill Slider #6)
  • Shallow Grave (Bill Slider,#7)
  • Blood Sinister (Bill Slider, #8)
  • Gone Tomorrow (Bill Slider, #9)
  • Dear Departed (Bill Slider, #10)
  • Game Over (Bill Slider, #11)