Start by marking “The Party Forever: Why China's Communist Leadership Is Stronger Than Ever and How They Will Rule the New Era” as Want to Read:

Mění se spolu s ekonomikou i režim v Číně? To je klíčová otázka, která zajímá celý svět. K jejímu zodpovězení je nutné pochopit, jak dnes funguje základní politická složka země – Komunistická strana Číny.
Pomoci s tím může kniha oceňovaného australského žurnalisty, která poskytuje zasvěcený pohled na poměry v centru moci i na úrovni řadové stranické buňky. Že režim zůstává
Published September 17th 2013 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Party Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Party Forever

Charles
Aug 29, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of The Party Forever as part of the Goodreads giveaway program. I've been fascinated by the inner workings of the Chinese Communist Party for years and visits to Beijing in years past just heightened that as I walked around the exterior of the Party compound of Zhongnanhai and speculated on what life must be like for those inside. As a result I was excited to receive this book and to see what Rowan Callick could share that went beyond the normal flow of articles in The ...more
Sovatha
Oct 01, 2013 Sovatha rated it really liked it
Shelves: intl-affairs
When I finished reading this book, I didn't want to stop reading. I wanted to read more about China, especially the one beyond the China's Communist Party.
Tom Donaghey
Dec 14, 2013 Tom Donaghey rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
In ‘The Wizard of Oz” there is the defining moment when, confronted by the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz in his chambers after dissolving the wicked witch, brave little Toto steps forth, pulls back the curtain and reveals the real power behind the façade. It is the moment when we the audience realize that our expectations and concepts have yet again been turned on their collective heads and suddenly we see the truth.
While this book helps to tear away the curtain, it only begins to reveal the
David Duncan
Sep 16, 2013 David Duncan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any adults
Shelves: first-reads
This is my thirty-sixth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. I thought that the author Rowan Callick,did a really through job of researching this book.
One of the things I found really interesting is, as big as China is they operate on only one time,and that is Beijing time. It's schools, business, and government offices all operate on Beijing time, which means that they start studying and working in theory at least when it is still pitch dark. Basically there is only one time zone
Socraticgadfly
Dec 20, 2013 Socraticgadfly rated it really liked it
Good overview of where China stands today as a nation-state, followed by a look at it as an economy.

I had one main takeaway from this book. Many newspaper stories talk about the number of state-owned industries and businesses in China. But, that may be inaccurate, and if not, it's at least misleading. What Westerners (and counting Australians like the author in that circle) really need to look at (or do, in the case of the author) is the number of **party** owned businesses.

Callick makes clear t
Whitney Delgado
I don't read non-fiction very often, and I didn't finish the book. I had about 50 pages left but I wasn't interested enough to finish it. This book has its moments, I did learn some interesting facts about the communist party in China. It isn't my favorite book but I'm not sure if that's because I'm normally not much of a non-fiction reader. It was interesting but not interesting enough to finish.

*I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Sep 24, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
This is a thoroughly researched book but my attention span was no match for it.
Douglas MacKenzie
May 17, 2014 Douglas MacKenzie rated it liked it
Worth taking the time to read, not a huge amount of insights but that is not surprising, considering the subject matter.
Tracey
Oct 16, 2013 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
nonfiction; China/politics. I wanted to finish this one, but ended up skimming the last 2/3. I also wanted to like it more and find it more insightful, but that didn't happen.
Caleb Parks
Caleb Parks rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Honza
Honza rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Gertrūda Gilytė
Gertrūda Gilytė rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Adam Kotrba
Adam Kotrba rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Aparajitha
Aparajitha rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Diskojoe
Diskojoe rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Mark Vrijmoed
Mark Vrijmoed rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Palgrave Macmillan
Palgrave Macmillan rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2013
Jessyka Dauphinais
Jessyka Dauphinais rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Thomas Russell
Thomas Russell rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Emilie
Emilie rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Jonathan Chen
Jonathan Chen rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Joe Kupsky
Joe Kupsky rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Sean McGuire
Sean McGuire rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Andrea Williams
Andrea Williams rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Jindřich
Jindřich rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Nguyen Santiago
Nguyen Santiago rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2017
  • What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer
  • China Goes Global: The Partial Power
  • Tragic (Butch Karp #25)
  • On Western Terrorism: From Hiroshima to Drone Warfare
  • Art on the Block: Tracking the New York Art World from SoHo to the Bowery, Bushwick and Beyond
  • Bankrupting Physics: How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility
  • Buddhism for Dudes: A Jarhead's Field Guide to Mindfulness
  • Killer with a Heart
  • The End of Plagues: The Global Battle Against Infectious Disease
  • The Three Books
  • Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks
  • No Better Friend: The Dogs We Love
  • The Sky Manifest
  • JFK in the Senate: Pathway to the Presidency
  • The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting, and China's Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem
  • Heaven's Conflict, The Rise and Fall of Angels
  • Welcome to Mystery
  • Battle for Ground Zero: Inside the Political Struggle to Rebuild the World Trade Center